SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2001, 11:42 PM
Joined Apr 2001
125 Posts
Any Action in Ventura County, CA?

Howdy gents,

My finacee and I just got back from a job interview in Ventura county, and we're checking out the area to see if it meets spec. Is there much of an electric presence? Good hobby shops? Clubs & fields? Slopes?
Philip Aberer is offline Find More Posts by Philip Aberer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2001, 10:49 PM
Santa Paula, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
109 Posts
Ventura County 'Action'

Hi Philip,

There are several clubs in the county. Ventura County Comets fly at Lake Casitas. All from the runway except for special arrangements with the water district to fly from the lake. The Condor club flys in Camarillo, a really nice field. The TOSS is a glider club in Thousand Oaks. And I can't remember the name of the club in Simi Valley, but they are there. A lot of slopers fly at the 'Cross' in downtown Ventura. Mostly slope, but electrics once in a while as well. A great combat site when the wind cooperates. There is another slope site in Agoura Hills, just south of Thousand Oaks.

As far as hobby shops: There is a Hobby People in Camarillo and another fine shop in Thousand Oaks called Marty's Hobbies.

If you get up this way I fly at the 'Cross' in Ventura on Saturday afternoons, wind permitting. To get there take the 101 Northbound through Ventura to the California St. exit. Stay in the middle lane to go straight through the stoplight. Keep going until the street deadends on Loma Vista. Make a left on Loma Vista. The next part gets a little tricky... The City hall is on the right. Just past the 'City hall driveway' is a small street up the hill, turn right there. This street will wind its way up the hill to a stopsign. Turn left at the stop sign and in about 1/4 mile the street will dead end. Park anywhere you can. The flying area is just to the right of the cross.

If you plan to fly here it is advisable to install a 'beeper' or plane locater in you plane. The weeds and brush can get about 8 to 10ft tall on the side of the hill. The beeper will make recovery possible. I have known planes that have been found up to a year after they were lost. There are a great group of guys that fly here, and I have never heard of a found plane not finding its way home. The customary 'reward' is a $20.00 dollar bill to the finder. This system has worked great for years...

Happy Holidays and great flying! Art
ZagiArt is offline Find More Posts by ZagiArt
Old Dec 03, 2001, 12:59 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Slopewise, there's "The Cross" in Ventura. I've never flown there but my understanding is that the lift is good. Just SE of Point Magu is Round Mountain. It's a pretty good hoof up the mountain, but it's consistently flyable. And when conditions are right, it really goes off. There are lots of slopes between Ventura and Santa Barbara - you'll just have to do a little recon.

As for hobby shops, there's a Hobby People in Camarillo which has a reasonable selection of e-components and kits. If nothing else, HP is a great place to pick up radio gear and supplies. Marty's in Thousand Oaks is a pretty good shop, but expensive. I'm sure there are some other shops in the Ventura / Oxnard area.

Not much info, but I hope this helps. Ventura is also a great area for surfing, kayaking, sailboarding, and mexican food

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Dec 05, 2001, 05:55 PM
Joined Apr 2001
125 Posts
Mmmmmmmmm, Mexican food.
Yet another mark in the "pro" column for taking the job

Thanks guys for the info, I'll have to check it out.
Philip Aberer is offline Find More Posts by Philip Aberer
Old Dec 05, 2001, 11:01 PM
Ventura, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
119 Posts
Comment on good Mexican food. There is a small Mexican restaurant in Thousand Oaks on East Thousand Oaks Blvd at Erbes Rd, Lupes Been eating there since '69. Try their Chile Colorado burrito without beans, wet (covered with red sauce). Let me know what you think if you make it there. Herb
herbs is offline Find More Posts by herbs