HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:10 AM
Registered User
DeXX's Avatar
Croatia
Joined Nov 2009
363 Posts
The weather is perfect .... so I think that I'll take the quad now to the first bath in the lake
DeXX is offline Find More Posts by DeXX
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2013, 02:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
536 Posts
"a blue quad... that color is rare
and I have to say... you made a very, very neat build"

Thanks, the blue/white was the only one I could get my hands on at the time. I did not like the colour that much at the start, but it goes well with the Hitec waterproof servos, and sea. It is also the colours of the Finnish flag. I actually like it now, but I have also a red one waiting to be build.

I weighted my Dex today and it is almost double the weight of yours 1.345 kg with 2.25 ah 4S battery, but it is very powerful and relatively efficient with 10 + minutes flight time without payload and I remember flying some 15 minutes with camera and second battery.

But your build is very inspiring, maybe I will build the next one lighter, so that it actually floats with camera ;-)

How much lighter is the carbon frame?
GARUG is online now Find More Posts by GARUG
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
Registered User
DeXX's Avatar
Croatia
Joined Nov 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARUG View Post
"a blue quad... that color is rare
and I have to say... you made a very, very neat build"

Thanks, the blue/white was the only one I could get my hands on at the time. I did not like the colour that much at the start, but it goes well with the Hitec waterproof servos, and sea. It is also the colours of the Finnish flag. I actually like it now, but I have also a red one waiting to be build.

I weighted my Dex today and it is almost double the weight of yours 1.345 kg with 2.25 ah 4S battery, but it is very powerful and relatively efficient with 10 + minutes flight time without payload and I remember flying some 15 minutes with camera and second battery.

But your build is very inspiring, maybe I will build the next one lighter, so that it actually floats with camera ;-)

How much lighter is the carbon frame?
Carbon frame can be from 190 - 210g but I started doing them about 205g-210g
because the strength is excellent at that weight ...much stronger than the GF ones...
DeXX is offline Find More Posts by DeXX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:54 PM
Registered User
DeXX's Avatar
Croatia
Joined Nov 2009
363 Posts
I'm back from the lake.....
3 batteries before sunset...

I don't have time for video at the moment, I'll do it tomorrow....

until then a few photos...


.
DeXX is offline Find More Posts by DeXX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:42 AM
bobepine's Avatar
Joined Jun 2011
7,384 Posts
Hey,

Do you have the weight of the Mini 305mm, please? I am in the middle of shopping for some motors and ESCs and knowing the frame weight would help me select the specs I want.

Also, how big a battery can I fit under the hood?

So far, I'm leaning for a light build. 27 grams motors, 10 amps escs, 7 inch props and 1300, 3s battery.

Please let me know when you have time.

Thank you, Sir.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:11 AM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,638 Posts
@Denis: Beautiful area and photos, and cool waterlaunch with the carbon Dex! I like this version better than the original GF one.
I didn't make my Micro watertight yet, but it's probably good to get to know her dry first eh?.

@Chris: Cool that you're getting a Mini! I am jelous.. as I didn't get my mini yet. Are you getting the Carbon or a colored GF and use it as a football like "that" guy?

She flew pretty well in the windy conditions, and the tight-area I was flying at made things interesting. I think I'll try your suggestion for using zipties,(I wonder if it works Ok with triples too?) because I broke a Theraband O-ring when I didn't throttle hard enough after a loop and belly-flopped her with gusto onto the grass.
Dex Micro windy 2nd flight with wee crash (2 min 20 sec)

The Carbon Micro is pretty Tuff! No damage from this turf flop, or from the other flight-day when It dropped from @least 60' up, down through the branches of a medium sized tree, then finally landing right-side-up on the grass with not a scratch and didn't even break a prop.
(It was getting too high and with my unfamiliararity with the Micro, I didn't want to endanger those spectactors around me with some crazy bankings to get 'er back down)
vpsporb is online now Find More Posts by vpsporb
Last edited by vpsporb; Jul 11, 2013 at 02:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:58 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeXX View Post
yes, these are my favorite props

they are bad, very bad.... some of them are really badly bent directly from the bag but that's easy to fix with the hands
original GWS are much better quality but no CW if I'm not mistaken....

the only advantage is that they are very resistant to everything
Yeah, I'm currently trying to get a bulk deal done with a Chinese supplier since nobody seems to have these in stock in the US and all of HK's locations are out of stock.
BenIAm is offline Find More Posts by BenIAm
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:01 AM
Registered User
DeXX's Avatar
Croatia
Joined Nov 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Hey,

Do you have the weight of the Mini 305mm, please? I am in the middle of shopping for some motors and ESCs and knowing the frame weight would help me select the specs I want.

Also, how big a battery can I fit under the hood?

So far, I'm leaning for a light build. 27 grams motors, 10 amps escs, 7 inch props and 1300, 3s battery.

Please let me know when you have time.

Thank you, Sir.


Best,
Chris


Normal weight of carbon Mini is about 120g... but if necessary.... Mini can be made stronger/heavier up to 140g which makes it kinda concrete friendly


you can fit 3S 2200mAh battery in Mini

which 27g motors you plan to use?
DeXX is offline Find More Posts by DeXX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:15 AM
Registered User
DeXX's Avatar
Croatia
Joined Nov 2009
363 Posts
@ vpsporb...... try a zip tie

there is no way that you'll ever lose a prop again...
unfortunately it works only on 2 blade props



.
DeXX is offline Find More Posts by DeXX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:06 AM
Registered User
rinatka7's Avatar
Russian Federation, MO, Podolsk
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeXX View Post
@ vpsporb...... try a zip tie
there is no way that you'll ever lose a prop again...
.
Or this realy good material!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419378

Oops...didnt see that Vpsporb already use theraband!
rinatka7 is offline Find More Posts by rinatka7
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:05 AM
bobepine's Avatar
Joined Jun 2011
7,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
@Denis: Beautiful area and photos, and cool waterlaunch with the carbon Dex! I like this version better than the original GF one.
I didn't make my Micro watertight yet, but it's probably good to get to know her dry first eh?.

@Chris: Cool that you're getting a Mini! I am jelous.. as I didn't get my mini yet. Are you getting the Carbon or a colored GF and use it as a football like "that" guy?

She flew pretty well in the windy conditions, and the tight-area I was flying at made things interesting. I think I'll try your suggestion for using zipties,(I wonder if it works Ok with triples too?) because I broke a Theraband O-ring when I didn't throttle hard enough after a loop and belly-flopped her with gusto onto the grass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ma3uWjKYH4
The Carbon Micro is pretty Tuff! No damage from this turf flop, or from the other flight-day when It dropped from @least 60' up, down through the branches of a medium sized tree, then finally landing right-side-up on the grass with not a scratch and didn't even break a prop.
(It was getting too high and with my unfamiliararity with the Micro, I didn't want to endanger those spectactors around me with some crazy bankings to get 'er back down)

Hi vps,

Nice flying! I love the close passes near the camera. It shows the speed well. You sure are ripping it with the micro model.

I ordered the mini made of CF. Very much looking forward to it. I have not purchased a frame in a long time. I normally just build my own. But I have had my eyes all over DeX's work for quite some time now and I figured it was time to pull the trigger. His frames are a work of art, no less.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:20 AM
bobepine's Avatar
Joined Jun 2011
7,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeXX View Post
Normal weight of carbon Mini is about 120g... but if necessary.... Mini can be made stronger/heavier up to 140g which makes it kinda concrete friendly


you can fit 3S 2200mAh battery in Mini

which 27g motors you plan to use?
Thanks for the quick response, Sir. I didn't think 2200, 3s would fit under there. Hmm... This really broadens my options a lot. I can essentially use up to 50 grams motors on this and have enough battery power for a 5 minutes acro flight. Tons of potential for a variety of specifications.

I think I will still start off with a light build with a smaller battery, but I may endup turning this into a monster with bigger motors, ESCs and battery.

For now, I'm going to try these guys with 10 amps simonk ESCs:: http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-m223012-...ne-p-6313.html


If that is not fast enough, I will move on to plan B which is to use 39 grams motors, 20 amps ESC and a 2200, 3s battery.

I think the 27 grams motors with a small 1300 battery will probably be just as fast, though. Weight makes a big difference. At 120-140 grams only, the Mini 305 will surely perform well even with a less than ideal setup.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:45 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeXX View Post
@ vpsporb...... try a zip tie

there is no way that you'll ever lose a prop again...
unfortunately it works only on 2 blade props
.
I had to bump the gamma to 2 to see the prop-saver screws you ziptied to, but nice and neat and It must work well if you're using the zips on 8" props!
(also good to know I can order a custom carbon hull for durability)
vpsporb is online now Find More Posts by vpsporb
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:38 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Hi vps,

Nice flying! I love the close passes near the camera. It shows the speed well. You sure are ripping it with the micro model.

I ordered the mini made of CF. Very much looking forward to it. I have not purchased a frame in a long time. I normally just build my own. But I have had my eyes all over DeX's work for quite some time now and I figured it was time to pull the trigger. His frames are a work of art, no less.

Best,
Chris
Thanks, the Micro suprises me with the FF speed it so easily attains, and the gorgeous aerodynamic hull likely helps "a bit" in that aspect too. She's a blast to fly, I just have to find a better, open flying area to feel comfortable and really give 'er. (like you do )

Ahhh yes... how could you not get the CF Mini? what "Guy" doesn't drool over sweet sweet Carbon Fiber.
You have to treat yourself sometimes... and Good-times are 'a comin with a new Carbon Mini! I'll be interested in what motors/escs you select and settle-on for your build.
(speaking of carbon... i think carbon plates on the CNC would make for a good basher, is there?)

@rinatka7: The Theraband O-rings work well, but I think the zips will be better/stronger and give piece-of-mind when really pushing the banking/turning/acro speeds.
vpsporb is online now Find More Posts by vpsporb
Last edited by vpsporb; Jul 11, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
Registered User
DeXX's Avatar
Croatia
Joined Nov 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Thanks for the quick response, Sir. I didn't think 2200, 3s would fit under there. Hmm... This really broadens my options a lot. I can essentially use up to 50 grams motors on this and have enough battery power for a 5 minutes acro flight. Tons of potential for a variety of specifications.

I think I will still start off with a light build with a smaller battery, but I may endup turning this into a monster with bigger motors, ESCs and battery.

For now, I'm going to try these guys with 10 amps simonk ESCs:: http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-m223012-...ne-p-6313.html


If that is not fast enough, I will move on to plan B which is to use 39 grams motors, 20 amps ESC and a 2200, 3s battery.

I think the 27 grams motors with a small 1300 battery will probably be just as fast, though. Weight makes a big difference. At 120-140 grams only, the Mini 305 will surely perform well even with a less than ideal setup.

Best,
Chris
too many options? one more
just to check.... you want a standard model about 120g?
or more to the 140g stronger side?
DeXX is offline Find More Posts by DeXX
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log 190mm Full Carbon Fiber Micro DeX Quad DeXX Multirotor Talk 31 Feb 09, 2014 06:30 PM
Discussion Full carbon Nano (65x65mm) from the mold ?? DeXX Mini Multirotors 124 May 01, 2013 01:52 AM
For Sale full carbon DeX Mini Quad DeXX Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 13 Feb 22, 2013 08:12 PM
Sold Full Carbon DeX Quad DeXX Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Jun 04, 2011 12:43 PM