HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MightyG, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:53 AM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
677 Posts
Mini-Review
My New Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx

Well it finally arrived today! After a 4 week wait, my new BNF Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx. I bought the BNF version as I've already got 3 NASA 701 TX's!

Of course being the BNF version, the packaging is considerably smaller that what would arrive if I got the RTF version. I was surprised though by how much smaller! At first I was worried because the picture on the box show the bird with a green canopy, which is stock for the WNCP, so I thought I'd gotten the wrong heli (after a 4 week wait!). But the big "Brushless version" sticker waylaid my fears.

Opening the box revealed my new bird snug as a bug in there with all the accessories neatly packaged around it.

I quickly pulled everything out to make sure all was good to go.
1 x usb charging cable
1 x parallel charging cable (up to three batteries)
2 x 3.7V 24mAh batteries
2 x sets of main blades (1 for the heli, 1 set spare)
1 x spare tail blade
1 x spare screws set
1 x micro screwdriver
2 x carbon rods for the canopy mount
1 x printed instruction manual (tucked under the heli)

On inspection of the heli body, the first thing I noticed that was different in comparison to the WNCP is that the servo's are mounted with screws through the top for added security... Great idea, I thought as there have been a number of times on hard crashes that I've had servo's pop out! I've since done the same to the servos in my WNCP with some spare micro screws I had.

And as FyreSG discovered, the canopy mount holes are way to far forward to allow me to fit the canopy with the ESC mounted on the front the way it is!

A hot pin and some care has allowed me to remount the grommets further back and a little higher...

Skyartec say that this heli has improved plastics. I'm not sure of where all the locations where this has happened, but one place it's obvious is where the carbon tail is mounted in to the air frame. In the picture below you can see that the plastic mount is definitely thicker on the WNCPx (on the left). It's a location that needed it as I've been through 2 airframes on my WNCP and both times it's been this location that has broken!

Being new to this micro heli hobby, I was amazed at how small the brushless was. The pictures just don't do it justice! I had to get the digital calipers out to measure it's diameter... only 14.02mm!

Both inside & out the WNCPx verses the WNCP

Well being a beautiful (if very cold) day, I took her out for a spin... Woah! In comparison to the WNCP, this thing pitch pumps with ease! I did a back to back comparison of the heli's and while the WNCP keeps up with the WNCPx in FFF, but I can tell straight away that anything to do with aggressive changes of pitch, would put this bird miles ahead of the WNCP ( be aware also that the WNCP has a fairly new main & tail motor installed). During quick 360 flips the power of the brushless motor keeps this bird from losing altitiude anywhere near as much as the WNCP does, and during quick transitions from inverted to right side up (flip backwards to inverted then quickly flip forward to right side up - don't know if this "move" has a name...) the WNCPx is so much more crisp in it's movements, and again, no way near as much altitude loss.

I had no issues what so ever regarding tail drift during FFF, pirouetting & flipping, so hopfully FyreSG's experience is a rare one.

The WNCPx is currently set up with some slightly different pitch characteristics compared to the WNCP (The pitch is closer to 0 at mid stick while on the WNCP, pitch is 0 just below mid stick) so moving from one to the other takes a little warm up time, especially if rapid pitch movement is required during flight! I'm not experienced enough yet to know which setup is "better", so I'm happy to just adjust as required.

Also on a side note, I've been playing around with the DR and expo settings on my Tx to smooth out the heli, but it seems that I've gotten so used to using 0 expo that using any -ve expo makes my flying worse. I guess I'm just used to the micro movements now required around center stick to keep it "stable" in flight...

No real inverted action yet (except for what happens during forward/side/back flipping) , I can get nose & tail in inverted hover happening most of the time, but still not confident enough to do inverted travel, I need to get more confidence with my orientations (more time on the sim & with the WNCP & with the FBL80 when it arrives!) as I don't want to be having to fix up crash damage to soon!

For a more comprehensive flight review & comparison to other micro's in it's class check out this great review by FyreSG.

Cheers

MG
MightyG is online now Find More Posts by MightyG
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MightyG; Jun 20, 2013 at 04:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2014, 03:56 PM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
In brutal pitch pumps, do you get tbo?
flyka737 is offline Find More Posts by flyka737
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:52 AM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyka737 View Post
In brutal pitch pumps, do you get tbo?
Hi There,

No... no TBO at all doing anything...

Cheers

MG
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Time For Some Fixed Wing Fun!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 02:15 PM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
Thank you friend, great review, you eliminated my doubts.
flyka737 is offline Find More Posts by flyka737
Old Oct 30, 2014, 09:18 AM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyka737 View Post
Thank you friend, great review, you eliminated my doubts.
Hi Flyka,

I would actually recommend the HiSky HCP80 over this heli. While the plastics of this bird are much improved. The HCP80 is much tougher. If you really want a 100 sized bird then I also hear lots of good things about their new 6 axis HCP100 coming out soon.

Cheers

MG
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Time For Some Fixed Wing Fun!