HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2001, 08:51 PM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Build Log
YF-23 Advanced Tactical Fighter

I've started my dream project, the YF-23 Advanced Tactical Fighter. I built one in 1/10th scale many years ago for twin Turbax ducted fan units (glow fuel) but I've always wanted an electric.

The EDF YF-23 model will be 1/15th scale and will measure 53" long and will be powered by 2 WeMoTec Mini 480 fans and 2 Kontronik 400-36 brushless motors and will have 8-10 cells per motor.

Attached is a screenshot of the CAD drawing I have created to build the model from.
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
Last edited by GlasairAllen; Mar 09, 2006 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Removed old SilentFlightOnline link.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2001, 02:33 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Allen-All right, I have been waiting to see if you would start up on this project. Glad to hear you've moved up to the Mini fan size. What will be the wing span and wing area?

I put my YF-23 project on the back burner a while ago, hoping you would do one. Maybe we can work out a barter deal?

Here is the link to the last Ezone thread on the YF-23 which has pictures of your 1/10 version
YF-23 Black Widow Twin Midi

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Last edited by Plane Crazy; Dec 02, 2001 at 02:44 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2001, 03:29 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Plane Crazy
Allen-All right, I have been waiting to see if you would start up on this project. Glad to hear you've moved up to the Mini fan size. What will be the wing span and wing area?
Gordon

Gordon,

I was considering a KP-44 powered version and started working on drawings for that but once I experienced the power of the WeMo MiniFan 480 with a Konroink Fun 400-36 in my L-39 I said "this is the answer, two of these will move anything".

Here are the specs as they stand right now:

Wingspan 34.844"
Length: 53.913"

Scale: 1/15th

Airfoil: RG14

Inlet size: 4.1 Sq In (each)
Exhaust size: 4.01 Sq In (Each)

Wing Area: 444 Sq In - or - 3.08333 Sq Ft. (Note: this is wing area only, this bird has lots of lifting area in the fuse as well)

Wing loading: 25.9 Oz/Sq Ft (at a flying weight of 80oz estimated, again that only takes into consideration actual wing surface... fuselage and tail lift will lower that number)

Note: This model will be scale ... not semi-scale, not stand-off scale ... we are starting with a 100% scale airframe and will make changes to it only if required. Of course the wing on the real plane is not an RG14 airfoil but our wing planform is scale, only the airfoil is different. I do plan on kitting this plane if it works out to be a good flier... stay tuned
Old Dec 02, 2001, 04:00 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,104 Posts
Mine is 45" ws, 2 pro's, probably Hackers, Springair retracts, planning on both le & te flaps. Started cutting on it (trying for Tucson Jet Rally) - big sucker. Thank heavens I'm planing removable wings and tail. Your right, all models of the '23 will be non scale. The change to a model flyable airfoil forces changes to the body/naceles, etc. Lots of room for batterys in the missile bay. Should be interesting.
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old Dec 03, 2001, 09:08 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Reynolds
Mine is 45" ws, 2 pro's, probably Hackers, Springair retracts, planning on both le & te flaps. Started cutting on it (trying for Tucson Jet Rally) - big sucker. Thank heavens I'm planing removable wings and tail. Your right, all models of the '23 will be non scale. The change to a model flyable airfoil forces changes to the body/naceles, etc. Lots of room for batterys in the missile bay. Should be interesting.
Bob,

We are making progress, here is a photo of the fuse templates for the plug coming together and you can also see the fan mount bulkhead (CNC Cut) that will go in the final model.

I'll keep everyone that cares posted on the progress.
Last edited by GlasairAllen; Feb 12, 2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2001, 10:00 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Kwel
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Dec 03, 2001, 10:33 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
You know a man's a serious builder when there are lots of machinist's 1,2,3 blocks on the work bench.
(not to mention cad drawings of a cool toy airplane)
Troy is online now Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2001, 08:56 AM
Joined Feb 2001
316 Posts
Gym Flyer?

I was looking at the pics at the 1/10 thread. That's some wing plan. Lots of flat fuse to push against the air too. Does this thing want to be a foam slow/gym flyer with maybe a 30" span?
Carter is offline Find More Posts by Carter
Old Dec 04, 2001, 08:59 AM
Joined Feb 2001
316 Posts
Reduce span to 30'?
Carter is offline Find More Posts by Carter
Old Dec 04, 2001, 10:02 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Serious Builder...

Quote:
Originally posted by Troy
You know a man's a serious builder when there are lots of machinist's 1,2,3 blocks on the work bench.
(not to mention cad drawings of a cool toy airplane)

Finally ... after 20 years of being a professional model maker I get my proper respect and recognition. ... all it took was to scatter a few 1-2-3 blocks around the work area! What are those things for anyways?

Thanks,
Old Dec 05, 2001, 01:20 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
I use mine for pencil holders and paper weights My micrometers make great chopsticks too
Troy is online now Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2001, 05:30 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
YF-23 Progress 12/08/2001

The top half of the fuselage plug is done, I'll be starting the bottom half next week. Look for a mold to be pulled next weekend (I hope).
Last edited by GlasairAllen; Feb 12, 2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2001, 05:53 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
thanks allen

that is so cool. i'm really enjoying watching your progress and learning a few things at the same time..................gregg
Old Dec 08, 2001, 06:56 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
Hey GlasairAllen, in looking at your website I say you mention "shoot it with featherfill". What product is this? Is this a Stits product? I know Stits has a lightweight primer that I guess would be thin enough to spray but I've never tried it, just seen a can of it once and noticed how light it was. I assume the fillers in the primer are microballoons instead of clays like in other brush on primers, so the finish is lighter. Doesn't matter to a plug but I was just wondering, I need to find a lighter filler and sprayable if possible to minimize wet sanding.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Dec 08, 2001, 09:38 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Waldrep
Hey GlasairAllen, in looking at your website I say you mention "shoot it with featherfill". What product is this? Is this a Stits product? I know Stits has a lightweight primer that I guess would be thin enough to spray but I've never tried it, just seen a can of it once and noticed how light it was. I assume the fillers in the primer are microballoons instead of clays like in other brush on primers, so the finish is lighter. Doesn't matter to a plug but I was just wondering, I need to find a lighter filler and sprayable if possible to minimize wet sanding.
Ed,

I'm pretty sure that Feather fill is a made by the same chaps that make Bondo. I always call it "Liquid bondo".

The reason I like to use it is because it is a 2-part mix that hardens quite quickly (it's polyester resin based)... note, it "hardens", not "dries" .. therefore you can spray it on as thick as you want and it will harden all the way through. Most paint type primers/surfaces cannot be applied thick as the outer skin will dry and form a barrier that prevents the underlying primer from drying. So when I'm spraying FeatherFill and I see a spot that I know is particulary nasty I just spray on some more (like I said, "Liquid Bondo"). Also this stuff sands real nice.

The one caution with FeatherFill is DO NOT leave unused material in your spray gun for more than an hour ... it is catalysed <SP?> resin, and you know what happens to that after a while!

Anyways, Feather Fill is available at Aircraft Spruce ( www.aircraftspruce.com ) and probably other aircraft/composites supply joints.
Try it, you'll love it.