HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2001, 04:46 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
Herr Mini Sport - Speed 280, Laser Cut Kit

Lucky me got a pre-production kit of the Mini Sport from Tom Herr. The plane went together very smoothly. The parts were all self aligning and the instructions made the job very easy. This was my first "stick" model and I didn't have any troubles assembling the plane. All you need is some CA and a flat board for assembly. The covering was also my first attempt, I can see were practice makes perfect with heat shrink covering, but it still was not a hard job. There is plenty of room for all the hardware inside and everything is accessible by removing the rubber banded on wing. To get the cg right, I had to have the battery stradle the inside of the front former but it can be held securely by putting a piece of foam on top of the battery. The "trim" job is in it's initial stages, waiting for inspiration. Weather here has been rainy, windy, and generally not condusive to flying so the flight report will come later. All, in all, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to build the plane...and in my opinion, it's really a good looker. The Speed 280 with an 8 cell, 700mah, NiMH pack draws a little over 4A static.

hoppy

[This message has been edited by hoppy (edited 07-13-2001).]
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2001, 05:45 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Nice! I've been curious about these planes. I can't wait to hear how it flies.

BTW, does it have ailerons? The pic of the Mini Sport on the Herr site looks like it has ailerons, but your does not.

Dave
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Jul 13, 2001, 05:46 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Lookin' good Hoppy! How about some of the same blue on the wing tips or along the leading edge as an accent? Did you get a chance to weigh it yet?
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Jul 13, 2001, 05:52 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
11 oz with the 8-AAA, 700mah NiMH pack. That's a heavy pack..
7.2 oz without battery. You're right, got to have some blue on the wings. Ailerons may come out later...I think Tom is thinking about building a super aerobatic Speed 400 that will do all the tricks with standard Speed 400 gear and 7/8 batteries. He may do it on the zone....
Herr has got the Breezy Fliers priced now. http://iflyherr.com
hoppy
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:49 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
INITIAL FLIGHT REPORT

The Mini Sport looks great sitting on the runway. Full power and the tail gradually comes up, hold it till the speed builds up and it rises gently off the ground in about 30'. Herr says: "Our goal was to develop a line of models that look and fly like real airplanes". They hit it right on the head! This plane flies and looks like it just took off from a nearby airstrip. The speed is in proportional to the size, meaning "slow", and the turns look real good, considering it doesn't have ailerons, but I don't think you can tell the difference. Very little altitude is loss during a turn. Landings are very nice and touch and goes are a ball. I would say this plane is definately a slow flier that can operate in small areas and has very realistic scale flight characteristics.
Battery used today was a 7 cell, 270mah NiMH 1/3AA pack. Flights can be made at partial throttle settings. I will also try the GWS litestick pack (6 cell) and an 8 cell 700mah AAA sanyo pack. Will report more later.
hoppy
Old Jul 19, 2001, 12:54 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
The GWS 6cell, 270mah NiCd flies the plane very nicely. The mini sport will loop from level flight with this battery . Inverted flight is possible but it took full down to keep it there. cg may be a little too forward??
I was again impressed with how little flying area is needed for this plane.
hoppy
Old Jul 25, 2001, 10:22 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Hoppy, a question about the Mini Sport's prop: It looks like a standard Gunther push-on prop as used on the Zagi. But the Zagi prop is for a Speed 400 with 2.3mm shaft and the S280 has a 2.0mm shaft. Any idea where I can get one like the Herr-supplied prop to press-fit on my S280?
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 26, 2001, 01:42 AM
Paris, France
Joined Mar 2000
120 Posts
Dave,
The standard zagi/gunther push-on prop fits well on a 2mm shaft with a drop of CA.
Regards
Thierry
Thierry F is offline Find More Posts by Thierry F
Old Jul 26, 2001, 07:12 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Thanks, Thierry. I remember now reading about putting a little CA on the motor shaft, letting it dry, and then pressing the prop onto the shaft. I thought this was to keep the Gunther prop from coming off of a S400 2.3mm shaft. I didn't realize that it would make the prop fit the S280 2.0mm shaft. Hoppy, is this what you have to do with the Herr kits, or do they have a different solution?
Old Jul 26, 2001, 07:40 AM
Paris, France
Joined Mar 2000
120 Posts
Dave,
I you want a better fit and you are ready to spend the extra money, you can get a graupner spinner for 2mm shaft. You have to slightly enlarge the bore of the gunther prop. In France, we can get 2 different gunther 4.9*4.3 props. The one that comes with the black hub and the other which doesn't need re-drill to fit on a standard spinner. I'm quite surprised the second one isn't available in the US.
Regards
Thierry
Thierry F is offline Find More Posts by Thierry F
Old Jul 26, 2001, 08:10 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
Tom Herr uses the CA after rinsing the prop hub with alcohol and sanding the prop shaft to roughen it up. He says it works very well.

I switched to a 280 prop adaptor and boring out the hub.

hoppy
Old Jul 26, 2001, 08:36 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Great information. I'm looking forward to experimenting with a direct drive Speed 280. I'll probably try both solutions during my experimentation. Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2001, 03:48 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Hoppy,

Have you tried that 8cell 700nimh yet?

How have the flight times been?

Web page says 25+minutes with 750 nimh!

Thanks.

T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Jul 26, 2001, 08:45 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
Dave....check out the Holiday 280 http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum18/HTML/000590.html

Virus....not yet on the 700mah. I've got an equipment problem which I can't track down. Plane will be flying along and after several minutes of uneventful flight it will refuse to accept right rudder commands. I've replaced the RX, tomorrow I'm testing a new ESC, if that doesn't work, I guess I'll swap out the servo. I heard the motor cut out for a scond while flying overhead one day. That's not good news. Other days it just went into a spin and augered in. It is a testamony to the strength of the plane to have survied all the hammering it's taken while I've been trying to find the problem.
The strange thing is that the plane was flying so beautifully. The first time it happened, I said to my flying buddy after it spun in...I didn't give it any of those control movements. Ground tests with the motor running and viewed from afar with a telescope have not shown any glitching except some elevator twitching near the end of the pack capacity.
Will keep you informed.
hoppy
Old Jul 27, 2001, 05:35 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
I think I found the problem. After replacing the servo, I got a normal flight. It was really getting to me going down in flames everyday. This morning after replacing the ESC and battery, it flew about 2 min before doing the left turn and into the dirt. Full right rudder had no effect on the plane, it just kept turning left. Since I damaged the wing, I slipped a WalMArt foamy wing on the plane and changed the servo out. In 12mph winds, those wings were flapping like a bird. BUT..no clitches!! The builtup wing is ready to fly again so I'll see if I can get a battery life test in.
hoppy