HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2013, 01:28 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,184 Posts
Here is mod that is simple and a fix for probably nobody but me, lol. I always carried my quads/planes in the back of my truck. Now I toss my Taranis case in the front seat, and guess what, the case rattles from the hinges, so I came up with the idea to use some silicon RTV and nw zero noise, took about 30 seconds, just pump the silicon into the spot shown in the picture (not the top sliding part of the hinge). Simple but effective.
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2013, 01:49 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
I get crackling when I adjust my volume as well. I believe it's just pot noise.

DONATE to OpenTx -
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=DJ9MASSKVW8WN
Crackling noise on S1 for volume control also

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Nov 05, 2013, 02:08 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,419 Posts
I assume the pot position is converted to a digital value, which then sets the level, just like when the value is changed in the settings menu. Is the click sound the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ululi1970 View Post
Is that the RFI or the buzz that's present even when the RF part is off?

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 05, 2013, 02:43 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
2,042 Posts
I think you're going to find that the audio clicks as an assigned pot is rotated is normal. It's either the steps the code is feeding to the voltage controlled audio stage or the stage steps itself. I'm no expert but this feature may not have been a big concern at the design stage and we're fortunate to have it at all.
As for the speaker background noise, it's from the RF digital mostly I'm finding. The circuit trace and close proximity wiring is resonating at 2.4g or a harmonic and picking up the radiated energy and amplifying it.
You'll notice if you hold your hand on the antenna or move it around it makes it better or worse, same for the internal wiring at the top of the case.
It's not an easy thing to fix and probably won't be entirely in a radio under $200!

I'm courteous if anyone's heard the DX9's audio yet? Maybe for $400 the audio is cleaner?

I'm sure if Frsky makes the schematics available many here may have the ability to improve on the audio quality. It won't be tied to a cost or warranty issue like it is for Frsky. Hint Frsky, let us help you!

The skyboard fought the same issues and I understand Brent spent a lot of time designing his audio circuit to minimize the background noise and have great sounding audio. It is much better sounding audio if I compare it to the Taranis I own even with a speaker change.

One idea is to gate or squelch the audio completely when no sounds are played. That won't work if other sounds are always playing.
It also won't help the digital hash in the played audio and especially if an earphone is used.

Im not saying we have to be happy with what we're hearing, just that I don't think it's ever going to be perfect on a radio of this price.
Some further RF filtering or audio conditioning EQ circuitry could be of help but I'm not sure Frsky will spend the money on it?
I have to search out a new dx9 and listen to its audio. Everyone try and fine one to listen to and report back. Then again I don't want to pay $400 for it either.

I have one of the first batch of Taranis radios and personally I'm not bothered by the audio BG noise at my noisy field, or the audio assigned pot steps. In fact I've got a second on order.
showmaster is online now Find More Posts by showmaster
Old Nov 05, 2013, 02:51 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
I think you're going to find that the audio clicks as an assigned pot is rotated is normal. It's either the steps the code is feeding to the voltage controlled audio stage or the stage steps itself. I'm no expert but this feature may not have been a big concern at the design stage and we're fortunate to have it at all.
As for the speaker background noise, it's from the RF digital mostly I'm finding. The circuit trace and close proximity wiring is resonating at 2.4g or a harmonic and picking up the radiated energy and amplifying it.
You'll notice if you hold your hand on the antenna or move it around it makes it better or worse, same for the internal wiring at the top of the case.
It's not an easy thing to fix and probably won't be entirely in a radio under $200!

I'm courteous if anyone's heard the DX9's audio yet? Maybe for $400 the audio is cleaner?

I'm sure if Frsky makes the schematics available many here may have the ability to improve on the audio quality. It won't be tied to a cost or warranty issue like it is for Frsky. Hint Frsky, let us help you!

The skyboard fought the same issues and I understand Brent spent a lot of time designing his audio circuit to minimize the background noise and have great sounding audio. It is much better sounding audio if I compare it to the Taranis I own even with a speaker change.

One idea is to gate or squelch the audio completely when no sounds are played. That won't work if other sounds are always playing.
It also won't help the digital hash in the played audio and especially if an earphone is used.

Im not saying we have to be happy with what we're hearing, just that I don't think it's ever going to be perfect on a radio of this price.
Some further RF filtering or audio conditioning EQ circuitry could be of help but I'm not sure Frsky will spend the money on it?
I have to search out a new dx9 and listen to its audio. Everyone try and fine one to listen to and report back. Then again I don't want to pay $400 for it either.

I have one of the first batch of Taranis radios and personally I'm not bothered by the audio BG noise at my noisy field, or the audio assigned pot steps. In fact I've got a second on order.

I'm curious if anybody with the audio issues has turned both the internal and external modules off to see if the audio distraction changes. I'm also interested if anybody has turned off the internal module and used a FrSky DJT or DXT module in the external bay.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Nov 05, 2013, 06:16 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
I assume the pot position is converted to a digital value, which then sets the level, just like when the value is changed in the settings menu. Is the click sound the same?

Is that the RFI or the buzz that's present even when the RF part is off?

Fred
Exactly the same clicking noise when using the pot or the screen menu to change volume. With the pot it can be really bad if you happen to leave it at exactly the switching point.
It will chatter like a Geiger counter as it jumps between two levels.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 05, 2013, 07:37 AM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Sep 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I'm curious if anybody with the audio issues has turned both the internal and external modules off to see if the audio distraction changes. I'm also interested if anybody has turned off the internal module and used a FrSky DJT or DXT module in the external bay.
The noise on my radio does not go away with both modules turned off. It does only during the couple of seconds it takes for the eeprom to be flashed (and the radio is on).
ululi1970 is offline Find More Posts by ululi1970
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2013, 08:38 AM
Mike
United States, TX, Dickinson
Joined Mar 2003
1,107 Posts
Quote:
UPDATED:
I just reviewed the sound package for American English. Here is the complete package in a .pdf format.
Thank you Scott! I was actually going to go through all the sounds to make a map like this.
mmatheny is offline Find More Posts by mmatheny
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:43 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
OK Taranis brainiacks, I have one for you......

I have an FPV plane build in the works, it will have an autopilot that can autocircle, waypoints, etc. Basically it is capable of flying itself.

I want to be able to have a pan/tilt on the fpv camera that I can control via the right stick when the plane is in autopilot mode, then when I have control back, the right stick needs to be ail/ele again. Catch is that when the switch is set to "flying" the pan tilt needs to be centered and when the switch is set to "pan/tilt" the ail/ele need to stay centered as to not cause drift.

What do you guys think" is this possible? If so, how the heck do I do it?

Thanks fellas!
I have done this with er9x but I use the left control, Throttle & rudder. Normally the rudder and throttle is not used in cruise. That leaves the right (mode 2 control free). It would hold the last throttle position.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:49 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ululi1970 View Post
The noise on my radio does not go away with both modules turned off. It does only during the couple of seconds it takes for the eeprom to be flashed (and the radio is on).
Now that IS interesting! I had been assuming that the noise was induction from the antenna or Tx module. Seems I was dead wrong on that account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post
Thank you Scott! I was actually going to go through all the sounds to make a map like this.
I had a head start, so I just ran through the sounds and made adjustments.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:03 AM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
OK Taranis brainiacks, I have one for you......

I have an FPV plane build in the works, it will have an autopilot that can autocircle, waypoints, etc. Basically it is capable of flying itself.

I want to be able to have a pan/tilt on the fpv camera that I can control via the right stick when the plane is in autopilot mode, then when I have control back, the right stick needs to be ail/ele again. Catch is that when the switch is set to "flying" the pan tilt needs to be centered and when the switch is set to "pan/tilt" the ail/ele need to stay centered as to not cause drift.

What do you guys think" is this possible? If so, how the heck do I do it?

Thanks fellas!

This really is pretty easy to do. In this example, I just used switches in the mixes. Pat M suggested flight modes which is a better solution, because it would allow you to trim the tilt and pan separately from the control surfaces.

When SFdown is thrown, AIL and ELE are sent to channels 6 and 7. Channel 5 is for the autopilot switch. Please use this as a reference, but understand that it will surely need some customization to you situation.

Enjoy!

Ken
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,042 Posts
I agree the buzz is not so much rf related after turning the internal module off and no external one. I was wrong there.
As for the pot step noise and residue buzz, I still feel that with the release of the schematics the experts here will solve it for us if Frsky doesn't. It take a brave person to spend $200+ on his radio just go blow it up helping Frsky fix a few design flaws. There are a few but it could be so much easier with documentation!
Certainly of the audio section.
Again to fair, I'm ok with the audio but would like it better.
I just ran a test using my stereo earbuds.
Very interesting. The audio of much better, more highs, less distortion. The buzz is there but ok.
Of course the slider pot audio steps are very obvious.
One caution using earbuds if the audio is assigned to a pot is the fact that the pot isn't active until the sign on screen and audio finishes. This allow the boot up audio be what ever level the menu master audio is set for until after full boot up, ouch!
So maybe a workaround is to use the earphone audio out into a add on audio amp board with better EQ and powered by a higher voltage/current input from the tx battery?

If you haven't yet, try the earphone jack audio.
ACDC Thunderstruck sounds pretty good in my ears right now!
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,042 Posts
I want to try the latest opentx build r2858 that I think has a dsm2 option.
How do I have c9x assemble and download it for me or my other options?
Thanks
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:36 AM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Now that IS interesting! I had been assuming that the noise was induction from the antenna or Tx module. Seems I was dead wrong on that account.

I think it's partly from that and part from another source... My FlySky module makes a LOT more RFI noise than the internal FrSky, for example. I think the FlySky antenna coax is slightly damaged and leaking. I really need to fix that... There's a big difference for me running the external with the internal off. I don't get a lot of noise from the internal, some... I need to try a few more things, maybe a filter on the speaker to help with RFI in the wires? A small value capacitor on the speaker terminals might help pass some of the noise.

With the external, it's making a lot of noise even with the volume all the way down. I haven't checked that on the internal module yet.

I'd check with a DJT, but I modded mine to send telemetry data over the module pins for the 9x. Has anyone checked to see if that will cause issues in a Taranis?

With both radios off.... noise from the CPU oscillator maybe?
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:07 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,031 Posts
Thanks guys!
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm