HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:40 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,910 Posts
FAQ
FRSKY Taranis "How to" Thread

Welcome to the Taranis "How to thread". This thread is merely a place to compile information about how to use and modify your FRSKY Taranis radio. I will do my best to have the front page updated with all useful information as I get it. If you feel something is not here and should be then please let me know so that I can add it.

The major Success of this radio is based on the incredible software that has been created for free by the OpenTx team. Their work has made this radio extremely flexible while maintaining a very modest price tag. If you feel inclined to show your appreciation and support to the development team please consider a donation here.

Reviews

RC Model Reviews Part 1

RC Model Reviews part 2

Where to buy

There are now multiple Re-sellers of this radio so search around.

Aloft Hobbies USA

Microtechnics Belgium

T9Hobbysports Europe
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Last edited by snipeworm; Oct 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,910 Posts
Firmware, Setup, Programming, and important links

Firmware

Updating your firmware (Manual)

How to update your firmware video (Scott Page)

Help with getting your computer to talk to your Taranis

Setup

How to add a FBVS-01 to an X6R (Luv3d)

SBUS Decoder Setup (Dooz)

Binding 2 X8R receivers to get 16 pwm channels (In the tube deep)

Battery Calibration (Scott Page) (4:16)

Stick and pot calibration (Scott Page) (3:17)

Binding to a Reciever (Scott Page) (10:06)

Binding and Failsafe setup (MarHar)

Changing mode 2 to mode 1 (Scott Page)

Receiver and Sensor descriptions (Romolo Manfredini)

Connecting FAS to Vario (Koffer)

SBUS description and Setup (Cleon)

Vario Setup (Rotozuk)

Programming

Scott Page has made many very helpful videos. Find them on his youtube page here

Basic stick and programming tutorial (Scott Page)

Create and upload models with calibration from your computer (Scott Page)

Companion 9x Configuration Wizard tutorial (Scott Page)

Mixing Tutorial (MarHar)

Eagle Tree setup

Important Links

FRSKY Home page

Open RC Forum

Companion 9x Download page

RCsettings page, Great template recource!

Manual

FRSKY Taranis manual and user guide

Eflight Wiki (Awesome info!)

Compilation of user preset models

Using Telemetry to find a lost model (RC Model Reviews)

Countdown Timer Fix (The Areonut)

Pattern Flying Call out (Scott Page)
Last edited by snipeworm; Mar 13, 2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,910 Posts
Sound and image files

Audio Files

Free Audacity download for creating audio files for the Taranis

Free text to speech program for creating your own sound files

Creating Sound files using Audacity (Scott Page)

Sound file creation software

Applying sound files to switches and functions (Scott Page)

Index of stock audio files

Scott Page's sound file compilation

Create your own Audio files easy! (LittleMo)

Image Files

Installing images to your Taranis (Scott Page)

Scott Page's Image Compilation
Last edited by snipeworm; Aug 09, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,910 Posts
Taranis mods and accessories.

Stick and switch ends

The Taranis uses Futaba style stick threads (M3) Be sure to order accordingly!

Battery alternatives

It has been reported that the middle pin of the battery port does not lead anywhere, therefore it is safe to use a 2 cell lipo by smiply plugging in the balance port. Just be sure to NOT charge it with the transmitter!

LiFe (Graham 65)

How to add a LiFe charging circuit to your Taranis (Punkindrublik)

Li-Ion mod (Oz)

Modules

The Taranis accepts JR style modules.

Binding with external module (MarHar)

Spektrum DSM2

Setting up your DM9 with the Taranis (Daedalus66)

Orange DSM2

Mods

Reducing audio buzzing (Julez)

Hardware Mods (Julez)

Speaker Mod / Sound Upgrade (Punkindrublic)

Custom Trays
Last edited by snipeworm; Oct 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:32 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,567 Posts
Custom Taranis Transmitter Tray

Here are the plans and some photos of a transmitter tray designed specifically for the Taranis. What makes this tray innovative is the use of the polycarbonate spring at the bottom that pushes the transmitter up and locks the Tx handle into place in the back. Without the Tx in place the bottom Poly spring sits at an angle of about 20 degrees forward, and when the tx is pushed down against it far enough the handle goes through the slot for it and locks into place.

It's made of 1/4" x 12" x 24" plexiglas / acrylic and 5" x 5" piece of of 0.093 in. thick polycarbonate / lexan. Uses four 12mm long 3mm cap screws, two 8mm long 3mm cap screws, 6 3 mm T-nuts (blind nuts), and 6 tapered washers. Basically it can be made for under $20.

The most difficult part may be locating a laser cutter to cut the parts - but they are hiding in the most interesting places -- like high school shop programs, or custom engraving or trophy shops. Ya just need to look around.

To bend the plexiglass use two C-clamps to secure two pieces of hard wood across the bend. Heat the area to bend for about 6 minutes with a heat gun and wear a glove on one hand! Heat both sides evenly. I alternate (using a stop watch) 60 seconds on one side moving the heat side to side ... and then 60 seconds on the other side, moving up and down along the area to be bent. Keep the heat gun at least an inch from the plexi or you risk overheating an area and causing it to bubble.
If the plexiglas is covered with paper it will need to be removed before making bends. If it's covered with plastic you can leave it until after the plexi is shaped. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you use some scraps and practice making bends before you go for the main event.

If you look online -- or go to your local glass shop you can probably find all sorts of cool colors. If you go to home depot you'll find a choice of clear.

I included pictures below to give an idea of how to shape the materials. The zip files at the very bottom contain the plans.

EDIT: If you are looking for a comfortable strap check this out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Disgrace.html

UPDATE -- July 29 Updated Version12 ----> is the final version. This tray fits the Taranis perfectly.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Jul 29, 2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:39 PM
Joined May 2009
6,567 Posts
Icons for Taranis

I am maintaining an ongoing library of aircraft icons for the Taranis in openrcforums.com.

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=3530

I'll be updating the first post in that forum to reflect the current state of the icons -- and posting when I make those updates in the thread. I'm attaching current icon library index below.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:35 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,727 Posts
Subscribing...

EDIT: Sorry Snipe. I just realized you wanted to keep the first page clean. Go ahead and delete my posts if ya like. Sorry....
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by punkindrublik; Jun 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:38 PM
AMA 506547
Joined Sep 2004
8,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Here are the plans and some photos of a transmitter tray designed specifically for the Taranis.
Sweet! So can I get in on the pre-order??

Plans saved. Hopefully now I'll have some time to throw one together. Thanks Scott...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined May 2009
6,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Sweet! So can I get in on the pre-order??

Plans saved. Hopefully now I'll have some time to throw one together. Thanks Scott...
If somebody wanted to cut these and sell them flat they could probably make bank. If you look at buying a tray YIKES! Biggest problem with my design is it won't ship well because it's all one piece. That's not an accident. I avoid those with bolts.

The only thing that makes mine really novel is the method of holding the transmitter in place. It's a snap -- literally. Tx won't fall out, but is easy to remove.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined May 2009
6,567 Posts
Personalizing your Taranis

Short of custom painting your Taranis case, there are things you can do to dress it up a little. Just happens these things might also have some function as well.

I'm a big fan of stick ends. Whether you pinch or thumb your stick the right end can make a tremendous difference. Two sites to check out are: NOTE: When buying stick ends -- you want those that fit the Futaba sticks.

http://www.progressiverc.com/tools-a...ssories/rcstyx

and http://tinyurl.com/m59rtjh

Additionally you may find that the sticks are a bit soft for your preference. I've not made the change yet, but I'm pretty sure that http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAEM7&P=7 will work great with the Taranis gimbals. I'll be doing that before this weekend and I'll report back.

Finally - no reason your sticks need to have all of the fun -- don't forget your switches.

Do a google search for "toggle switch extension" and have a ball looking at all of the extensions you can put on your toggles. I'm kinda partial to the 44 magnum shells myself.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Jun 19, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:02 AM
AMA 506547
Joined Sep 2004
8,727 Posts
Quote:
http://www.progressiverc.com/tools-a...ssories/rcstyx

and http://tinyurl.com/m59rtjh

Additionally you may find that the sticks are a bit soft for your preference. I've not made the change yet, but I'm pretty sure that http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAEM7&P=7 will work great with the Taranis gimbals. I'll be doing that before this weekend and I'll report back.
You rock man. That was next on my list. I finger fly so I like the extra long sticks. I'd really like to find a nice pair with switches.

Thanks...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:22 AM
AMA 506547
Joined Sep 2004
8,727 Posts
Quote:
If somebody wanted to cut these and sell them flat they could probably make bank. If you look at buying a tray YIKES! Biggest problem with my design is it won't ship well because it's all one piece. That's not an accident. I avoid those with bolts.

The only thing that makes mine really novel is the method of holding the transmitter in place. It's a snap -- literally. Tx won't fall out, but is easy to remove.
I'm gonna use carbon fiber lay up. I'm not gonna use your plans to the tee, but I'm definitely stealing some of your ideas!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:32 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
I'm gonna use carbon fiber lay up. I'm not gonna use your plans to the tee, but I'm definitely stealing some of your ideas!
I have never flown a tray setup, but have many 5+ hour slope glider combat flights in a days flying (many weekends over 11 hours total flight (on a single battery) in a 2 day weekend) with neck strap's. Whats the real benefit to the large tray setup? (Blender, Margaritas, chips and salsa, pole dancers, )
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:37 AM
Joined May 2009
6,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
I have never flown a tray setup, but have many 5+ hour slope glider combat flights in a days flying (many weekends over 11 hours total flight (on a single battery) in a 2 day weekend) with neck strap's. Whats the real benefit to the large tray setup? (Blender, Margaritas, chips and salsa, pole dancers, )
Trays are an acquired taste, but like other acquired tastes you wonder how you ever got along without it (sort of like my smart phone).
And then add this sweetness and it's a slam dunk.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:47 AM
AMA 506547
Joined Sep 2004
8,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
They're made for finger flyers (pinch grip). When you fly without actually gripping your transmitter, a tray can be very beneficial. It's certainly not necessary, but I really like the feel as I can completely relax the my hands while gently touching the sticks.
RCG Plus Member