SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Blade Helis: Nano QX Tip and Tricks

Steve Petrotto presents some tips and tricks on how to fly the Nano QX using both the Stability and Agility modes!

Splash

Tips & Tricks!

With the Blade® Nano QX, now shipping, the team at Blade has put together a great "Tips and Tricks" video staring the one and only "Tator," Steven Petrotto. Take a look to see some basic flight maneuvers along with learning how to flip it! Check it out!

Steve covers the following maneuvers:

• The Hacky Sack
  • The Coin Toss
  • The Ceiling Fan
  • Vacuum Cleaner
  • Aerobatics

Nano QX Tip and Tricks (4 min 6 sec)

Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:31 AM
bacon and eggs
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined May 2013
1,060 Posts
way cool!
remvideo is offline Find More Posts by remvideo
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:29 PM
USA, IL, Sycamore
Joined Aug 2008
91 Posts
I got mine. It is a blast. I just need more batteries.
miataman is offline Find More Posts by miataman
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:57 PM
JoethePlumber meet JoetheStack
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Apr 2013
81 Posts
Blade Nano QX BNF, with my Spektrum DX6i DSM2 Tx:

I thought I had a problem with Agility mode control - the right stick didn't do anything in Agility mode (LED red). I could switch between flight modes by toggling the Flaps switch, as indicated in the manual. I just discovered that when I switch to Agility mode (LED turns red), I have to leave the Flaps switch in the '1' position, and the right stick controls like normal. To switch back to the other mode, I flip the Flaps switch back to '0', then 1-0, and the LED turns blue and it is nice and stable as it was... blah blah blah, anyway the point of this post is that the manual did not indicate the Flaps switch goes 0-1 to switch to Agility, and 1-0-1-0 to switch back. The first digit is the starting position of the switch in both cases.

I just realized that I should confirm this several more times before posting it, but the battery is charging. I have some (batteries) on order. Confirmed. Not a problem, just how it works. Cool.

Seems like it wants re-binding pretty frequently. Not sure why.
Joe the Stack is offline Find More Posts by Joe the Stack
Old Jul 08, 2013, 06:33 PM
God is good all the time...
United States, MS, Pearl
Joined Jul 2011
18 Posts
Love my nano qx!!! Its sweet l.
AdamG1180 is offline Find More Posts by AdamG1180
Old Jul 09, 2013, 05:53 AM
Joined Apr 2013
81 Posts
Humming along

The batteries (4 ea) arrived pretty quick, and it turns out that 5 batteries is neither too few nor too many. I've been trying to start a habit of using the timer on the Tx, and end each session with a particular battery before the low voltage alarm is triggered, because I read that the batteries last longer if you do that.

With all the batteries I've been practicing a lot, indoors, probably 10-15 battery-flights per day. As an RC pilot, I'm neanderthal, but I am enjoying it, and possibly seeing some progress.

I flew outdoors a couple of times. It takes very little air movement to make a wind for the nano, and in a wind no matter how light I spent the time trying to swim upstream and avoid getting swept away. I did manage some repeated large circles, hard to do in a small room.

This morning one of the motors became noisy. I replaced all the props with the spares, they were a little beaten up. She still flies okay but she sounds labored because of that noisy motor, and maybe goes into the jitters just prior to self-leveling a little bit sooner as a result. So I ordered 2 motors, 4 props, and a frame today.

I'm afraid this Nano QX is quite captivating. I like it that my older DX6i seems to be a good Tx for it. Now I want a bigger quad to fly outdoors, and a bigger room to fly the Nano.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:21 PM
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Stack View Post
The batteries (4 ea) arrived pretty quick, and it turns out that 5 batteries is neither too few nor too many. I've been trying to start a habit of using the timer on the Tx, and end each session with a particular battery before the low voltage alarm is triggered, because I read that the batteries last longer if you do that.

With all the batteries I've been practicing a lot, indoors, probably 10-15 battery-flights per day. As an RC pilot, I'm neanderthal, but I am enjoying it, and possibly seeing some progress.

I flew outdoors a couple of times. It takes very little air movement to make a wind for the nano, and in a wind no matter how light I spent the time trying to swim upstream and avoid getting swept away. I did manage some repeated large circles, hard to do in a small room.

This morning one of the motors became noisy. I replaced all the props with the spares, they were a little beaten up. She still flies okay but she sounds labored because of that noisy motor, and maybe goes into the jitters just prior to self-leveling a little bit sooner as a result. So I ordered 2 motors, 4 props, and a frame today.

I'm afraid this Nano QX is quite captivating. I like it that my older DX6i seems to be a good Tx for it. Now I want a bigger quad to fly outdoors, and a bigger room to fly the Nano.
Yeah. Love it. it is the only heli (sic) that I am allowed to fly indoors, so that's why I bought it. But it has been a scream. It is really a good trainer and I am now getting to the agility setting. WOW.
Now. I have been complaining about the fact that you don't know which motor or prop is giving you the problem. Definitely, first look at the props. Any prop this has a sharp edge or even a little damaged can be the problem so you need a bag of those props all of the 4 different types/colors. I picked up a tip from somebody on the forum on how to figure out which motor is giving up. Simple. Hold the quad by one of the legs in the air , just in front of you ( binded of course) and increase the throttle . You will see that the quad will right itself and flies ( while you hold it) level. Do that will all four legs. the motor in the leg that no longer rights itself has to be replaced. The reason why you want to do that will all 4 legs is because it could be more than one motor that is losing power. It works.. So simple and quick to trouble shoot.
HPCR is online now Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Oct 08, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Sep 2013
2 Posts
Quote:

I thought I had a problemwith Agility mode control - the right stick didn't do anything in Agility mode (LED red). I could switch between flight modes by toggling the Flaps switch, as indicated in the manual. I just discovered that when I switch to Agility mode (LED turns red), I have to leave the Flaps switch in the '1' position, and the right stick controls like normal. To switch back to the other mode, I flip the Flaps switch back to '0', then 1-0, and the LED turns blue and it is nice and stable as it was... blah blah blah, anyway the point of this post is that the manual did not indicate the Flaps switch goes 0-1 to switch to Agility, and 1-0-1-0 to switch back. The first digit is the starting position of the switch in both cases.

I just realized that I should confirm this several more times before posting it, bu the battery is charging. I have some (batteries) on order. Confirmed. Not a problem, just how it works. Cool.

I too have this problem that Flaps switch goes 0-1 to switch to Agility, and 1-0-1-0 to switch back on my dxy. It ok if you are switching from stability mode to agility mode. But in a event of emergency that you need to switch it back to stability mode, it's will be a problem.... Any one have a fix?
kitkat is offline Find More Posts by kitkat
Old Oct 08, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
I too have this problem that Flaps switch goes 0-1 to switch to Agility, and 1-0-1-0 to switch back on my dxy. It ok if you are switching from stability mode to agility mode. But in a event of emergency that you need to switch it back to stability mode, it's will be a problem.... Any one have a fix?
I am also using a Dx6i
kitkat is offline Find More Posts by kitkat
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:59 AM
Joined Apr 2013
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
On my Dx6i the settings are REVO MIX all 0% but I can see my Gear/F.Mode switch switch between NORM and STUNT, and that is the switch that switches modes on the Nano QX. Model type is HELI. To switch modes I flip the switch up and back, same to switch modes again.

HPCR: Thanks for the tip about identifying the weak motor - that has me a little stymied too.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:19 PM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
For some reason with my Orange RX I had to set my " NORM FLAPS to +20, not minus. Finally got it going into stunt mode, and now I see I need to practice a whole lot more and get some more props before I can use it in stunt mode!
Orange Dog is offline Find More Posts by Orange Dog
Old Feb 01, 2014, 05:27 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Quote:

I thought I had a problem with Agility mode control - the right stick didn't do anything in Agility mode (LED red). I could switch between flight modes by toggling the Flaps switch, as indicated in the manual. I just discovered that when I switch to Agility mode (LED turns red), I have to leave the Flaps switch in the '1' position, and the right stick controls like normal. To switch back to the other mode, I flip the Flaps switch back to '0', then 1-0, and the LED turns blue and it is nice and stable as it was... blah blah blah, anyway the point of this post is that the manual did not indicate the Flaps switch goes 0-1 to switch to Agility, and 1-0-1-0 to switch back. The first digit is the starting position of the switch in both cases.

I just realized that I should confirm this several more times before posting it, but the battery is charging. I have some (batteries) on order. Confirmed. Not a problem, just how it works. Cool.

thanks for this tip !

had my nano qx for a few months and love it. today i picked up a dx6i and had this exact same problem. thanks to you and google, im now all good.

bought the dx6i for another project, and figured i would bind it with the nano.
the binding went well, not so the acro mode switch (till now)

thanks again.

Jason.
Exaturbo is offline Find More Posts by Exaturbo
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:10 PM
Joined Nov 2012
18 Posts
anybody know how to program the nano qx to jr 10x i have it on stability mode its fine when i go to agility mode just with very little throttle all it wants to do is flip backwards thats it would really appreciate some help thanks.
jmdairplane is offline Find More Posts by jmdairplane
Old Feb 14, 2014, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2013
81 Posts
Resistor R5 on my Nano QX USB battery charger came off somehow and is gone. My batteries are only charging up to 3.9V or so. I cut a tiny piece off a carbon strip, and stuck it there with cardboard and rubber bands. For the moment it helped, batteries are charging to a little over 4.1V. If someone were to determine the resistance of Resistor R5 (either by measuring it, or just looking - each resistor has a number on it, and who knows? Perhaps the number indicates its resistance.) I would appreciate it.

I know, just buy a new charger. I would, and I will, but budget is tight.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 02:16 PM
Joined Apr 2013
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdairplane View Post
anybody know how to program the nano qx to jr 10x i have it on stability mode its fine when i go to agility mode just with very little throttle all it wants to do is flip backwards thats it would really appreciate some help thanks.
Are you switching to agility mode in flight, for example while hovering, or are you switching to agility mode on the ground, then attempting flight?

I still always launch in stability mode (blue light), then switch to agility mid-flight, if I'm feeling up to it.

I also found that adjusting the dual rate and exponential settings can help in agility mode - set the rates down to 50%, and crank up the exponential to 50% or whatever. For quite a while I had a lot of difficulty just hovering in agility mode, and these settings helped. Adjust them to suit your own purposes as appropriate. Those same settings in stability mode - it barely responds to the stick inputs. Agility mode is super-sensitive compared with stability mode.

Dunno if this will help. It is possible that the aircraft has a defect. I doubt your transmitter has anything to do with it.