HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:36 PM
Joined Dec 2003
78 Posts
How to repair aerobird wing?

Hello All
I just almost logged another training flight on my Aerobird Challenger. This was my first flight since DIY repairs to the nose and the tail boom. The model flew absolutely perfectly for around 20 mins but all of the sudden the wings literally folded together on a tight turn and the model plummeted into the grond of a local winery.

After climbing over rows of vines I found the wings had folded along a crease that had been apparent for sometime but I had chosen to ignore. Is it possble to glue\repair the wing?. Other than the clean break the wing is in good condition. It seems to be made of compacted polystyrene covered with film. I have already ordered a new wing from one of the forums links but would like to have this second wing repaired as a backup. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
magohn is offline Find More Posts by magohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2004, 01:42 PM
Now with more COWBELL!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
Get some 15- or 30-minute epoxy (to give yourself some extra time), mix up a small amount, apply to the edges of the break, and join the pieces. Then put clear packing tape along the break on both sides (top and bottom), make sure everything's flat and straight, and let the glue cure.

To help prevent this on your new wing, apply strapping tape (the stuff with the glass fibers in it) to the underside of the wing, about 2" wide or so, from tip to tip. The fibers should run spanwise (from one wingtip to the other). This makes the wing resist bending under load- like in tight turns.

Good luck,

Steve
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Jan 22, 2004, 09:59 PM
Joined Dec 2003
78 Posts
Thanks Steve....took your suggestions and off to test a flight first thing in the AM
Old Jan 23, 2004, 03:00 PM
Now with more COWBELL!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
Hope it went well...Where are you? Here, it's about 15 F- indoor weather!!
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Jan 23, 2004, 03:15 PM
Joined Dec 2003
78 Posts
Sunny CA.
Sonoma wine country. Balmy 60 deg, everyday is a flying day!