HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2004, 05:11 AM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
684 Posts
Alert
PT-17 Pictures for Fansite! Post here!

Hi Gang!

I am nearly finished with the PT-17 pages for the GWS-Fans Homepage. What I am looking for is pictures of YOUR PT-17 to put in the gallery. If anyone has some tips for tuning the Stearman, let me know. What are the best Configs? what fits best?

Thanks in advance!

Rev
Reverend is offline Find More Posts by Reverend
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2004, 02:35 PM
TabukToné
Felthorpe, Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Joined Feb 2003
199 Posts
PT-17 in Tabuk

Hi Rev.,
Here are a couple of pics. of my PT-17 in Tabuk.
Stock machine with gw 9.6v 1600mah battery pack and their own liteweight wheels. Had to lengthen the battery bay at the rear to get battery to sit inside.
Does fly better with all of the suppled clay ballast wedged in the engine fins. This places the CG slightly in front of lower wing L.E.
AUFW is 700 grm.
Toné
TabukToné is offline Find More Posts by TabukToné
Old Jan 21, 2004, 02:38 PM
TabukToné
Joined Feb 2003
199 Posts
PT-17 in Tabuk

Second pic in low fly-by.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 03:34 PM
Norwich UK
Joined Oct 2003
372 Posts
hay tone, up for a fly soon at a local field?
pipsta is offline Find More Posts by pipsta
Old Jan 21, 2004, 03:42 PM
TabukToné
Joined Feb 2003
199 Posts
Hi

Hi Pipsta,
Kinda missed you in Norwich. Am back out here again in Tabuk for a spell. Must try and get together in the summer.
What is your current plane?
I brought home the Corsair and Formosa amongst others so I must find time to get one of them together and fly with you.
Tone
Old Jan 21, 2004, 03:45 PM
Norwich UK
Joined Oct 2003
372 Posts
hay tone, summer sounds good, i currently have my beaver, spitfire, TM and a recently deceased A10. My spit is about to turn into a brushless beast, cant wait to try it. Im thinking about getting the formosa when they are out over here
pipsta is offline Find More Posts by pipsta
Old Jan 21, 2004, 06:23 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Rev - This weekend I'll get some of my Super Stearman doing some insane things. Things like the REALLY low inverted pic you have of my Red/White/Blue Formosa. How about one of the Stearman like that? Or, how bout 6" high knife edge?

Mine is modified with 4 ailerons (same size top and bottom) and uses a Beaver cowl on the front. Flies like a biplane Formosa except it has a little more drag.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:44 AM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
684 Posts
Thanks TabuK Tone! Great pics that! already have them built in.

@RMason... Now thats something I am really looking forward to. I think you posted pictures of the 4 Ailerons in Guapomans Building thread right?

Rev
Reverend is offline Find More Posts by Reverend
Old Jan 22, 2004, 01:13 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Reverend
@RMason... Now thats something I am really looking forward to. I think you posted pictures of the 4 Ailerons in Guapomans Building thread right?

Rev
Correct! Rob's SUPER STEARMAN is just super to watch, especially those knife edges!

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Apr 25, 2004, 06:25 AM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Rev,
Please have a look at my Super Stearman build thread !

Jim

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223967
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old Apr 25, 2004, 07:15 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Like J. Perkins said: " Not too bad! " Thanks for spend so much effert on GWS PT-17.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old May 07, 2004, 07:17 AM
Barnstormin' Buckaroo
Adirondack Foothills,Upstate New York
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
Can't seem to find lone pic of Stearman.Will keep looking.
Cowl is from a Beaver,held on at three points with 2-56 t-nuts in 1/8" plywood squares,approx.3/8" by 3/8 ".
The cowl was pushed all the way on,then holes in it were marked on fuse for placement of t-nuts.A 7 cylinder scale radial from Dare Design was added to cowl with 2-56 socket head wood screws,after mounting an EPS400 with blue heatsink.Can't seem to find a good reason to use the "engine"that comes with kit.All of this added "useable" weight helped bring C.G. right to leading edge of lower wing,which appears to be approx.60mm from leading edge of top wing.Still just a tad tailheavy.Working on that though.Any suggestions for some more useable weight would be grately appreciated.After all setup,first crashes repaired,and trimmed out for good flight characterisrtics,I think it's going to be painted silver like my TM.
waldo p is offline Find More Posts by waldo p
Last edited by waldo p; May 11, 2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old May 07, 2004, 04:24 PM
Barnstormin' Buckaroo
Adirondack Foothills,Upstate New York
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdeth
Rev,
Please have a look at my Super Stearman build thread !

Jim

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223967

Hey Jim.VERY nice Stearman.Thanks for sharing the info on the dual airelon mod.Curious,have you flown one with single airelons.If so,how do the duals compare.I've finally sent mine up,and unless I'm at top speed,the stock setup seems a little lazy.Have to couple sharp slow turns with rudder.Otherwise it will dump if I'm not "Johnny on the spot" with the elevator and back it up with a blurp of throttle.Wondering if airelons on the upper wing will increase slow speed control,making it a bit more relaxing,instead of having to "hit the e-brake to pull the back end around while dropping it into 1st gear,dumping the clutch,mashing the throttle, and holdin' it sideways with counter-steer on the way out."?Sounds a little extreme,but I'd like to enjoy my PT,not feel like I'm on my way to work,dodging those little "go-carts" that sound like sewing machines and think they're fast,'till you rattle their windows with the deep base of a cast iron V-8.
Hmph.Guess I'd better not get behind the wheel right away.Just want to go flyin'.
waldo p is offline Find More Posts by waldo p
Old May 11, 2004, 01:52 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,900 Posts
[IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend
Hi Gang!

I am nearly finished with the PT-17 pages for the GWS-Fans Homepage. What I am looking for is pictures of YOUR PT-17 to put in the gallery. If anyone has some tips for tuning the Stearman, let me know. What are the best Configs? what fits best?

Thanks in advance!

Rev
I solve the tail heavy problem by moving my battery pack forward through the fire wall! I use a 7 cell 1400 mAh NiMh flat pack, and it balances with no extra clay as dead weight with about 2 cells of the pack forward of the fire wall (just touches the back edge of the plastic motor mount). I cut out the fire wall to allow the pack to slide through, and encased the pack in a "fake oil cooler" to go with the "fake motor". The oil cooler is a box made of 1/4 in thick EPS (or EPP?) foam salvaged from the bottom of a Costco meat tray (the kind that holds about a side of beef ) I had to whittle away part of the fake motor so it fits together. The following pictures show the mods. The new foam is still white so you can see what was added. I initially extended the motor mount, too, so that the pack could extend a full three cells in front of the fire wall, but found after final balancing I probably didn't need to do that. The pictures show it before I shortened the extension by about 3/8 in. The battery pack just touches the back of the plastic motor mount with two cells forward of the firewall Sure beats adding 2-3 ounces of dead weight, and looks pretty neat when all painted black[/IMG]
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; May 11, 2004 at 02:01 AM.
Old May 11, 2004, 01:53 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,900 Posts
Ignore this... I thought pictures weren't attached (didn't show in message preview, but they are there)
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; May 11, 2004 at 02:04 AM.