SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:00 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,199 Posts
Discussion
Landtastic: Landing Gear Retract Controller (and more!)

I am proud to announce LANDTASTIC, the latest RC-CAM project. This is a continuation of my other thread: I am ready to try a Park Flyer with retract gear.

Landtastic is perhaps the ultimate parkflyer landing gear retract controller. This tiny microcontroller based gadget offers servo-slow capabilities, remotely activated navigational lighting, and a lost model finder alert.

Feature summary:
  • World's first full featured, user programmable, R/C parkflyer landing gear controller.
  • Slows down any standard proportional servo, allowing up to ten seconds of retract time. Servo torque is not affected.
  • End-of-travel inertia brake gently parks the retract system.
  • Sophisticated navigation lighting; Remote activated Landing Lights and anti-collision Tail Strobe.
  • Lost Model Finder alarm for those unexpected landings in the brush. {Note: The alarm is not available on Rx's that have failsafe features.}
  • Works with any R/C system (AM/FM/PCM) that has a switched servo channel (i.e., Aux or Gear toggle switch).
  • Works with stock proportional servos, analog or digital.
  • No modification required to the R/C system. Plug-in installation.

You will need to be able to read simple schematics and have experience with soldering electronic components. The PIC microcontroller will require flash-programming (low cost tools to do this can be found by searching the net).

The full details to the project are found on the rc-cam.com site or by Clicking Here.

I will provide pre-programmed PIC IC's to those eZoner's that do not want to invest in a PIC chip programming system. Cost is $6.50 (USD) each. Shipping is $3 PER ORDER (not per chip) to USA destinations, and $4 outside the USA. PayPal Only (no other payment method is accepted).

I will include the required C1 cap (.1uF mono ceramic) with every Landtastic PIC ordered.

If you are interested, please PM me to obtain my PayPal account info. Do not use email -- the only way I can verify you are a eZone or RC-CAM forum member is if you use the PM feature. Non-members will have to join to take part. It is strictly a hobby effort on my side, so please respect my simple requests.

Please do not contact me with questions concerning price, availabilty, and project details. All that is found in the above, as well as the status update area shown below. It will help out if you just trust what is read here (I will keep it updated).

If you have any technical questions or comments please do not email me. Instead post them in this thread or in the rc-cam.com forum, so that others can learn (and help solve problems) too.

Landtastic Project Status area. Updates will be posted here.

Dec-22-2004: Original eZone thread discussion concerning GWS Formosa and servo slow is found by clicking here.

Jan-20-2004: Landtastic Project Web Page online. Click here.

Jan-20-2004: Pre-programmed PIC offer valid until further notice.

Feb-27-2004: 4-for-the-price-of-3 offer ends today.
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Feb 09, 2009 at 08:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2004, 06:25 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I dont suppose you can provide some gerber data for a board can you?
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Jan 21, 2004, 07:04 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,199 Posts
I do not have a PCB design at this time. I was thinking about laying one out and ordering commercial fab house parts. But, it is just not cost effective for small orders.

If you need artwork for kitchen sink etches then it is best to design your own. That way you can ensure you use the trace widths that work best for your methods. For sure, you would probably hate my skinny little traces.

RC-CAM
Old Jan 21, 2004, 07:25 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I have a nice PCB routing machine at work.. I know usually you include gerber with your projects and thought you might already have a design done. No big deal. I can lay it out myself when I get a chance.

Thanks for the effort! I can always count on you for intersting projects. My camera interface is still working great!
Old Jan 22, 2004, 08:58 AM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,027 Posts
This is just what I was trying to develop, but for use on flaps instead of the landing gear. Super!!

I just sent you a PM...
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:54 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,199 Posts
Quote:
...just what I was trying to develop, but for use on flaps instead of the landing gear.
Please let us know how that app works out for you.

The device can be used in any R/C app where the servo speed needs to slow down. For example: it will nicely tame the movements of a camera panning servo (wireless video app).

RC-CAM
Old Jan 22, 2004, 04:21 PM
San Francisco
Joined Feb 2003
476 Posts
RC-CAM:
The Pic kits arrived in todays mail. Talk about FAST service.
Thanks Much ! !
Sam.
IceDancer is offline Find More Posts by IceDancer
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:00 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,199 Posts
Wow, the US Postal workers must have realized how vital that delivery was!

Hopefully we will soon hear some project feedback from eZoners. If any errors are seen (even silly typos) then please let me know. Comments of any kind are welcome. But I really hope there is some good news to report.

BTW, I noticed that some text was missing in the downloadable instruction sheet. It has been corrected. I did not change the version date on it, so if you have printed it out please assume your copy is bad and just download it again.

RC-CAM
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:00 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
Also got mine in the mail today! Great service!
Thanks!

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Jan 28, 2004, 01:51 PM
Lidköping/SWEDEN
Joined Aug 2003
26 Posts
RC-CAM
I have PM'ed you. Looking forward to heat up my solderpen.:-)

/Stefan
Modellhobby is offline Find More Posts by Modellhobby
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:38 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,027 Posts
Got my chips in today's mail. Plugged them into my circut board -- and all works great !!
This is really a super PIC, done by a super programmer too :-)

No flight reports yet -- bad weather here. They will be used to help slow down flaps for better flight characteristics on my Ultra Stick .60.

Thanks for your efforts....

MarionDK
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:00 AM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
I have one of these as well and will be soldering it together and testing it this weekend. Hopefully I can post some pictures Monday.

Darren
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Jan 30, 2004, 07:08 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,027 Posts
I for one, think this is a really great gadget. I plan on building and using a number of them. Anybody else building one of these?
Old Jan 31, 2004, 07:42 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,422 Posts
Mr RC-Cam,

I must compliment you on providing interesting DIY projects for us combined RC and Electronics tinkerers, and for providing it for free!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:48 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
here here!