HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:06 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
got my new slow stik, now need camra mount

I just got my new slow stick and i was trying to make a makeshift camara mount for my aiptek 1.3 pencam but it looked like a piece of junk and work like junk. does anyone have ideas about a good camara mount i can make. or a cheap one to buy? im also using a servo to activate the switch so keep that in mind too. thanks for the help

Kyle
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:34 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Check this thread:

Where do I start?

and this one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=camera+mount

and this one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=camera+mount

I found these by searching for the phrase "camera mount"

One great thing about RCGroups is the powerful search feature, which can save you hours or days waiting for a reply.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); Jan 20, 2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:23 PM
Sandy, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
92 Posts
Kyle,

Here is my setup:

I put the servo on top, right next to the shutter button, with two-sided tape.

In order to put it on top, I had to open the camera and remove the peg for the camera strap. (That took some nimble fingers)

It's not shown here, but then I put a rubber band around the servo and the camera for extra support.
Monte Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Monte Thompson
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:29 PM
Sandy, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
92 Posts
Then I bent two 1/2 inch x 1/8 inch pieces of aluminum - one of which attaches to the camera, and the other to the airplane.

Then I use a wing-nut to hold the two pieces of aluminum together. That allows the camera to be adjusted for various positions.

The drawback is that the camera is sideways and you must turn the picture with an editor to make it straight.

The good thing is that the camera stays up tight with the airplane and won't touch the ground on landing.

Have fun,

Monte
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:18 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Monte, that's a nice, clean looking mount.

The only drawback, with the regular Pencam, is this orientation results in portrait shots which are a little less desireable for AP.
(landscape format gives you a wider swath of ground and less sky since the shots are wide and not tall)

A pencam SD would do very well in that mount.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:21 AM
SS AP'er!!
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Joined Oct 2003
682 Posts
What are the choices for direction of a camera? Front, side, down, behind? Just wondering if u wanted to put cam down low away from any landing gear/tail/antenna could you make a mount that folds up on ground impact? Or is this just a silly idea?

Patrick
pjblink is offline Find More Posts by pjblink
Old Jan 21, 2004, 01:23 AM
Sandy, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
92 Posts
Steve,

That's true about the tall pictures. I guess it's ok if it is a non horizon shot.

So the SD is shoots sideways? Hmm, I guess I had better get one for that reason and the extra memory.

Patrick,

Do you mean like lower than the wheels?

I bet there are hundreds of ways to mount cameras and get creative shots.

I have been trying to come up with ways of protecting the camera in case of a crash (air bag or something).

What is exciting is that this is all so new and we are kind of pioneers in the endeavor.

You can see some remarkable advancements in just the last few months.

Maybe someday excerpts from this discussion group will be in the history archives.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 03:53 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Monte Thompson,

I like your set up with the bent aluminum. looks like something easy and strong. i might have to make one of my own. thanks for the picture.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 04:32 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
re: Camera Angles

With an Aiptek SD mounted below a Slowstick fuse at the center of gravity looking left or right, you'll want to have the lens to the rear, otherwise you may get a wheel in your shot.

Side looking shot pros:

- camera is oriented with the longest dimension in line with the direction of flight, which gives minimal drag

- for a Slowstick with stock dihedral, the camera can look nearly horizontal before it picks up the wingtip in the frame

- don't have to worry about the tailwheel, antenna or long prop blocking the view if using fore or aft view

Side looking shot cons:

- possible to forget toward which wing the camera is aimed (gets easier to remember with practice )

- depending on setup (CG, incidence), having the camera parallel to the fuse may give tilted shots when in a steady glide. To fix, either rotate & crop pictures afterwards in an editor (you'll lose a bit of resolution this way), or shim/adjust your mount to match your glide attitude through trial and error. I found about 2-3 degrees worked with mine, using the stock wing incidence.

Karl
Karl B is offline Find More Posts by Karl B