HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Mini-HowTo
VectorDD gimbal - Assembly, setup and balancing

Preliminary: Setup thread for VectorDD gimbals from Viacopter.

I will post relevant manuals and setup information on this thread. Feel free to ask a question, but try and do a search on the thread first..

Kit kontents video:

VectorDD Brushless gimbal - What is in the box? (2 min 5 sec)
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Assembly

Assembly:

Use some non-permanent threadlock on the screws. Assemble it losely to begin with, then it will be easy to move the roll and pitch axises for balancing. DO NOT tighten screws too hard.

VectorDD brushless GoPro Gimbal - Assembly (19 min 28 sec)


Note that the brass bearing spacer was mounted wrong in this video. It goes between the screw head and the bearing. Like this:



JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Jun 12, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:39 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Controller and wiring

I attached the wires with some small strips of Vinyl electrical tape - alternativel you could use cable ties.

Pitch motor wiring:


Roll motor wiring:


IMU placement:


IMU wiring:


Controller mounting:


Motor1: Roll

Motor2: Pitch
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:40 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Reserved: Balancing

Reserved: Balancing
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:40 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Setup and Tuning

VectorDD profile attached for Basecam 2.0 b3 in silent mode:'

Here is link to silent profile for 2.04 FW by Teramax:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=83
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Jul 04, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:26 PM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,037 Posts
Great info so far. Once I get mine in stock I'll post some pics and test flight videos as well.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
688 Posts
Great. Thanks

BTW, a guide on how to do the first power up/config would be good as well.

I got it all put together, but now I don't know what to do Do I have to do a calibration? I would really appreciate a quick start guide of some sort so I can get this thing running. There are plenty of tuning manuals/videos, so I just need the basic steps to get it running the first time.

I powered it on before I went to work and the pitch did a complete 360 so I had to turn it off so the wire to the IMU didn't get damaged. Why did it do that?
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Last edited by beamen; Jun 13, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:13 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
688 Posts
BTW, some improvements you should do with the kit.

You should include:
*Velcro strip
*Power leads with a JST plug (probably the most used plug on this type of device).
*Regular nuts. The one's included have nylon in the top, which can't be screwed on properly on the rubber dampeners (you need to much pressure and the rubber dampeners just twist). I had to use 3 washers per dampener on my setup to secure the dampeners to the frame.
*Heat shrink
*M3x6 Thumb screws for the roll motor (easier to adjust - it's really tight back there - hard to loosen/secure the bolts).

You should also cut the cables to the correct length, or solder them on the motors (would be better).

Other than that it was nice. Quality piece of kit.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Last edited by beamen; Jun 13, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:34 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Thanks..

All good points....

The Velcro should have been included - was it not? Send me an email and I will send the missing velcro to you.

For the nuts, we can include some standard A3 stainless nuts - you do have a point about the locknuts and the rubber standoffs.

Wire: Yes, we are working on it - and will include a JST wire in the future (as soon as we get them)

Heatshrink will also be included with the motors for coming batches. For the wires we are gonna stick with the current standard length, since some people might need longer wires for their own desigs. On that note we will also offer longer IMU wires for DIY purposes.

Thumb screws - that is actually a very good idea, and we will begin looking for some right away.

For your problem with the Gimbal turning pitch all over, it might be an initialization issue or calibration issue. Your pitch motor might need to be reversed too. Anyway - I am working all day today, but I will post more info on SW setup tonight when I am home again.

I have seen this happening before with all new setups, but it seems to go away once the IMU is calibrated.


Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
BTW, some improvements you should do with the kit.

You should include:
*Velcro strip
*Power leads with a JST plug (probably the most used plug on this type of device).
*Regular nuts. The one's included have nylon in the top, which can't be screwed on properly on the rubber dampeners (you need to much pressure and the rubber dampeners just twist). I had to use 3 washers per dampener on my setup to secure the dampeners to the frame.
*Heat shrink
*M3x6 Thumb screws for the roll motor (easier to adjust - it's really tight back there - hard to loosen/secure the bolts).

You should also cut the cables to the correct length, or solder them on the motors (would be better).

Other than that it was nice. Quality piece of kit.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:08 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Thanks..

All good points....

The Velcro should have been included - was it not? Send me an email and I will send the missing velcro to you.

For the nuts, we can include some standard A3 stainless nuts - you do have a point about the locknuts and the rubber standoffs.

Wire: Yes, we are working on it - and will include a JST wire in the future (as soon as we get them)

Heatshrink will also be included with the motors for coming batches. For the wires we are gonna stick with the current standard length, since some people might need longer wires for their own desigs. On that note we will also offer longer IMU wires for DIY purposes.

Thumb screws - that is actually a very good idea, and we will begin looking for some right away.

For your problem with the Gimbal turning pitch all over, it might be an initialization issue or calibration issue. Your pitch motor might need to be reversed too. Anyway - I am working all day today, but I will post more info on SW setup tonight when I am home again.

I have seen this happening before with all new setups, but it seems to go away once the IMU is calibrated.
Thanks Jussi. Nope, not included, but luckily I had some laying around. No need to send me anything, but great customer service (hence the reason I waited for your gimbal) + the nicely designed gimbal obviously.

Glad I could help with my suggestions.

Looking forward to the guide!
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:38 AM
sorry, my english is bad
teramax's Avatar
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Apr 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
Great. Thanks

BTW, a guide on how to do the first power up/config would be good as well.

I got it all put together, but now I don't know what to do Do I have to do a calibration? I would really appreciate a quick start guide of some sort so I can get this thing running. There are plenty of tuning manuals/videos, so I just need the basic steps to get it running the first time.

I powered it on before I went to work and the pitch did a complete 360 so I had to turn it off so the wire to the IMU didn't get damaged. Why did it do that?
First calibration of the IMU is better made befor mounting it on the gimbal.



The first startup it is always a good idea to not plug in the motors, just plug in the board, connect to computer and watch in GUI how the sensor behaves ;-)
Than itīs time to import settings http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...6&d=1371079150
teramax is offline Find More Posts by teramax
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:02 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teramax View Post
First calibration of the IMU is better made befor mounting it on the gimbal.



The first startup it is always a good idea to not plug in the motors, just plug in the board, connect to computer and watch in GUI how the sensor behaves ;-)
Than itīs time to import settings http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...6&d=1371079150
Thanks buddy!! That helped a lot! I will give it a shot when I get home
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:19 AM
Albuquerque USA
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2012
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teramax View Post
First calibration of the IMU is better made befor mounting it on the gimbal.



The first startup it is always a good idea to not plug in the motors, just plug in the board, connect to computer and watch in GUI how the sensor behaves ;-)
Than itīs time to import settings http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...6&d=1371079150
Can you write a mini tutorial for the calibration process please.

Like -> lay it flat-> click calibrate-> click write? Please it confuse about the calibration. Which I never did calibrate on my. I think is time to do so with the new gimbal
Askyvision is online now Find More Posts by Askyvision
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:21 AM
Albuquerque USA
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2012
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Thanks..

All good points....

The Velcro should have been included - was it not? Send me an email and I will send the missing velcro to you.

For the nuts, we can include some standard A3 stainless nuts - you do have a point about the locknuts and the rubber standoffs.

Wire: Yes, we are working on it - and will include a JST wire in the future (as soon as we get them)

Heatshrink will also be included with the motors for coming batches. For the wires we are gonna stick with the current standard length, since some people might need longer wires for their own desigs. On that note we will also offer longer IMU wires for DIY purposes.

Thumb screws - that is actually a very good idea, and we will begin looking for some right away.

For your problem with the Gimbal turning pitch all over, it might be an initialization issue or calibration issue. Your pitch motor might need to be reversed too. Anyway - I am working all day today, but I will post more info on SW setup tonight when I am home again.

I have seen this happening before with all new setups, but it seems to go away once the IMU is calibrated.
Jusshi how do we balance this? I got the tilt to balance but the roll keep drop on to either side left and right thanks I'm ready to put it in the air
Askyvision is online now Find More Posts by Askyvision
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:49 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askyvision View Post
Jusshi how do we balance this? I got the tilt to balance but the roll keep drop on to either side left and right thanks I'm ready to put it in the air
Loosen the 2 M3 button heads that mount the motor to the roll bar, then you can slide it left and right.

For the pitch, you just slightly loosen the 5 M2 capscrews that holds the cam cage - then the whole tray can slide 8 mm up/down and forward/backward, which is more than enough. For a Gopro3 Black you will be around 2 mm up and 1mm backwards for pitch to have perfect balance. Then it becomes easier to balance roll.

When the balance is correct, you just tighten the screws and you are done.

Another tip is to make sure the axises can move freely during balancing. Wires that is getting in the way, can screw with the balancing. If you secure the wires on the center of the roll bar, it will make your life easier and they wont mess with the balance and get in the way of the gimbals ability to move freely.

I am gonna make a video showing how to do this, but it wont be today or tomorrow as I have a job to do - Iīll have it done in the weekend.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! E-sky Lama v4 balance and setup of metal swashplate deanprince23 Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 16 Apr 14, 2013 10:24 PM
Discussion 3x 1S balanced charging lead: How to setup correctly? nr1 Batteries and Chargers 3 Jan 15, 2013 01:55 PM
Discussion advice on a good quad setup for Hero3 w/gimbal TheFlyingCamera Multirotor Talk 0 Jan 11, 2013 01:16 AM
Discussion Naza gimbal setup problems crdodd Multirotor Talk 3 Jan 07, 2013 12:16 PM
Mini-HowTo Optimizing Gimbal Setup for Filming - CineStar Gimbal tabbytabb Multirotor Talk 2 Nov 29, 2011 01:00 PM