HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

The AerDro XY8, the Heavy Lift Octocopter That Fits into A Backseat!

The AerDro XY8 is a stable heavy lift camera platform that is very portable, rugged and ready to capture the shots you need!

Splash

The AerDro XY8. Stable, Small Foot Print, Heavy Lift, What's Not To Love?

If you are interested in shooting serious aerial video or stills you probably own or are looking into owning a heavy lift multirotor of some sort. There are many options out there right now and many of them work very well. Some of these options are very large and require a van or even a truck to transport them to your shoot location. Bart Cocchiola of AerDro has addressed this transportation problem by designing and bringing to market the XY8 co-axial multirotor. The XY8 uses 8 motors on four booms running co-axial to provide the thrust needed to lift anything from a NEX5 to any size DSLR. Bart achieved tis small footprint by squishing the normal quad copter into more of a flattened X. This spreads out the front and back arms which has a few benefits. First off, it keeps the motor booms completely out of the camera shot and two it provides a very compact footprint. Bart used the Hoverfly Pro and GPS to control this rig, and the flight control board handles this boom configuration perfectly, providing an unbelievably stable platform.

Bart also address what he considered very brittle camera gimbals by completely designing and manufacturing his own. The gimbal is completely made of aluminum and is assembled and "welded" together in a proprietary process that makes the gimbal incredibly strong and extremely light. Currently the gimbal is driven by Savox digital metal geared servos, but Bart has plans to design a brushless version. (I have told him there is no rush, as his current gimbal provides excellent, stable footage) The gimbal is so solid, that the entire unit can be carried around by the gimbals roll structure. The entire rig is really an industrial rig and meant to be used and flown a lot.

The XY8 features a 6S Power system running 30 amp OPTO Simon K ESC's and 400kv T-motors swinging Xoar 1404 props on the top and 1406 props on the bottom. With two 6000 mHa 6S packs on board, the operator can expect 12 - 16 minute flight times depending on the payload. The Hoverfly Pro and GPS combo offers manual flight, auto level, Altitude hold, GPS hold and return to hold, and it all works perfectly!

To learn more about the AerDro XY8 check out: www.aerdro.com

UPDATE:

Bart just sent me a new picture of his updated design with his own landing gear design. It's very light durable and stays out of the way.

Last edited by Sleepyc; Jul 24, 2013 at 08:31 AM..

Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:44 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,853 Posts
Looks like a clean rig. The gear is reminiscent of the Droidworx AD series.
Swap out the servo gimbal for a brushless and she's good to go!
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tamiya FJ Cruiser Review
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:31 PM
bacon and eggs
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined May 2013
1,039 Posts
very nice !
remvideo is offline Find More Posts by remvideo
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
United States, CA, Malibu
Joined Apr 2012
195 Posts
Spare is offline Find More Posts by Spare
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:34 PM
MultiRotard
United States, OH, Aurora
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Looks like a clean rig. The gear is reminiscent of the Droidworx AD series.
Swap out the servo gimbal for a brushless and she's good to go!
Actually I'm getting such great footage, I see no reason to right now.
I think the brushless gimbals are nice, but not worth dumping everything to snag one. I also have a flat 8 with a Cinstar-ish gimbal that when the right kit is available I may switch to brushless, but again, it works very well also...
Sleepyc is offline Find More Posts by Sleepyc
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:51 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,853 Posts
Of course. if it aint broke, right?

Having a number of servo gimbals and one brushless, Im amazed at how incredibly accurate and fast the brushless is. I could see a clear difference in the steadiness of the video. In fact it never breaks from level on the tilt or roll. period. Its almost like a sick joke that someone played: "Here, let me take your years of R&D on gimbals and controllers in an established market, and throw it all out the window with a brushless motor."

But don't get me wrong, I love my PS1 3X Pro. DJ is, however, developing a brushless upgrade which I'll have to purchase at the end of the year.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:54 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
This is the same rig you had at Toledo?

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
MultiRotard
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Of course. if it aint broke, right?

Having a number of servo gimbals and one brushless, Im amazed at how incredibly accurate and fast the brushless is. I could see a clear difference in the steadiness of the video. In fact it never breaks from level on the tilt or roll. period. Its almost like a sick joke that someone played: "Here, let me take your years of R&D on gimbals and controllers in an established market, and throw it all out the window with a brushless motor."

But don't get me wrong, I love my PS1 3X Pro. DJ is, however, developing a brushless upgrade which I'll have to purchase at the end of the year.
Yea I'm sure I will see the same results when I go brushless someday, but you know how it is, when one doesn't have the funds to upgrade.. one tends to hold on to existing technology and defend it!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
MultiRotard
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
This is the same rig you had at Toledo?

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Yes sir! Very same one, but now it has 15 hours of flight time on it!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:58 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyc View Post
Yea I'm sure I will see the same results when I go brushless someday, but you know how it is, when one doesn't have the funds to upgrade.. one tends to hold on to existing technology and defend it!
agreed! That's why I lucked out and got my brushless as a beta tester! Im officially on an rc spending hold says the wife.

Back to the rig. I noticed your using the wood xoars, which a lot of people are starting to use vs the carbon and composite spoons and e-props. Have you noticed a difference in any way by using woodies? I just orders some for my quad.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:23 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,416 Posts
Very nice.
I am also curious about how you like the performance of the wood props.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:44 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyc View Post
Yes sir! Very same one, but now it has 15 hours of flight time on it!
Sleepy,
That was one sweet looking machine. Wow. I am impressed.

Glad you are having so much fun with it.

Amazing.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:03 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
22 Posts
What's that ball park RTF price point of a rig like that?
poldim is offline Find More Posts by poldim
Old Jun 16, 2013, 01:36 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,339 Posts
This guys website www.aerdro.com is empty, no product descriptions or prices. Is this real?
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Jun 16, 2013, 09:21 PM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
436 Posts
Hi everyone and thanks to SleepyC for posting the review of the Aerdro XY8.

It's real! I promise! I've spent the last two years building out seven revisions of the gimble and four revisions of the frame. Production of everything is in progress and the website will reflect that as I get products in stock and can get photos/descriptions posted of actual production parts.

It's been a lot of work, but it's all finally coming together.

These heli's were developed for my aerial media business. I didn't start building stuff just to open a shop. After a while, seeing that things were working really well and that my features were helping me to function better in my business I decided to go into production.

The camera gimbal works perfectly fine with anything from a GoPro up to a Canon 5D. That's a weight range of about 4 1/2 to 5 pounds. Best of all you can fly, land, swap out cameras, and fly again in minutes without spending a lot of time perfectly balancing things (as is required with brushless gimbals). There are a variety of mounting spots for cameras so you can get things close but there's nearly 900 oz-in of torque at the camera tray (Savox SV1273TG high voltage, high torque servos and a roughly four to one gear drive). The mount isn't going to sweat it if you swap cameras and need to get airborne in a hurry leaving it a bit out of balance.

Here's a GoPro clip

XY8 coaxial quadcopter, EOSc camera gimbal w/ GoPro1 (4 min 27 sec)

Here's some rough footage from yesterday at the BMX park, Canon T2i, 10-22 lens. my video link wasn't working very well. FWIW, with a Canon T2i and lens (just over 2 pounds), plus 2 6S 6000mah packs, 14 pounds total, flight times are roughly 15 minutes

Quad shots (1 min 26 sec)

Complete kits and RTF rigs will be available for sale no later than June 28. I'm just waiting on my custom aluminum motor/ESC mounts. Everything else should be ready by the end of this week.

I've got a brushless gimbal (NEX based, Alexmos board) in development and am trying to have a first prototype flying by the end of June. It will be interchangeable with the EOSc mount allowing you to switch out mounts in a matter of minutes. Power systems will all be coordinated to minimize sources and weight. Also, a portable version of the frame is in development. Basically, the heli in SleepyC's pic will break down and fit into a standard airline roller-bag so it can be put into an overhead compartment.

The landing gear on Sleepy's heli is Droidworx. The Aerdro quick-mount gear wasn't ready in time for his build and I've been using Droidworx gear during development of the frame and gimbal so that's what went onto his heli.

Regards,
Bart
barchiola is offline Find More Posts by barchiola
Last edited by barchiola; Jun 16, 2013 at 09:29 PM.