HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 09, 2013, 07:07 PM
Registered User
Wyoming NY
Joined Jun 2005
36 Posts
Question
Transmitter, receiver, servo…. set-up?

As a weekend Park Flyer who has sailed my whole life and crashed more planes in the last year than I care to repair…. RC Sailboats are next on my list.
I have look for sometime on this site for the following information, sorry if I missed it someplace.
How do you set up the Transmitter, receiver and servo? I understand the 2 channel rudder and sail trim theory. The rudder on the sailboat is just like the rudder on a plane. Only you need to keep the boat on the wind, moving the joystick almost all the time.
But for sail trim, do you need to hold the sail trim joy stick (elevator channel) so that it does not self center or can you some how set it up to the throttle channel so the sail will stay in place?
Thank you, Beal
Beal is offline Find More Posts by Beal
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2013, 07:27 PM
Registered User
hiljoball's Avatar
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
461 Posts
I use a Futaba 6EX as a mode 2 and the sail control is on channel 3 (Throttle). The radio comes with a ratchet on the throttle and no centering spring, so moving the lever, it stays where put and I can move it one click at a time for repeatable setting of the sails.
John.
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2013, 08:10 PM
Registered User
Wyoming NY
Joined Jun 2005
36 Posts
Thank you John.
Beal is offline Find More Posts by Beal
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:52 PM
Rusty
Rusty Nail's Avatar
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
871 Posts
On a two channel setup you must remove the return spring from the sail stick mechanism and fit a ratchet. You can usually make one from a paper clip to rub on the detentes on the cam.
If you use a modern setup with programming capabilities then use the end limits menu to extend the sail arm for maximum throw.
If the yacht is well set up then rudder inputs are not needed much until turning. In a constant wind you can put the transmitter down and it will hold its course for quite some time, and any adjustments can be occasionally made with the trim. After all model yachts used to be sailed with out radio control.
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:22 AM
Registered User
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,845 Posts
It has to be remembered that a properly set up yacht will hold its course, but with respect to the wind. Unless its a very unusual stretch of water, there will be shifts and eddies in the strength and direction, and it will do its best to track these. The game is guessing which way the wind is blowing where the yacht is, knowing which it is blowing where you are standing doesn't give the full story.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Hi guys.
I am new to the world of rc multirotor flying & have a radiolink T6EHP-E tx that I
bought from china for my flywheel f550 which I built gradually over time. It has a
kk2.1 board from Hobbyking, 1000kv motors, 10x4.5 props & fmt 30A escs. In the
future I will be looking to add a gopro gimbal that I bought also from hobbyking.

I have managed to find plenty of tutorials to setup the kk board but none at all
for the tx. I have setup the frame & fc board according to the KK instructions i
found on forums & on youtube and have everything functioning correctly
(I think so anyway).
For now only the tx settings are standing between me & my 1st flight test.

I have searched the net & gone through the manual a countless times & have only
managed to set the trims, calibrate the ESCs, bind a radiolink r7eh rx to tx & the
throttle hold.
I do not understand the Idle Up Throttle/Pitch Curves, gyros, Swash, Dual
Rate/Exponential, epa, setting up fail safe, etc.

Does anyone have this same setup to help me with some settings for this radio to
get me going? In the meantime, if someone can send me the digits
(or screen shots of the LCD readout) for the setting parameters in the radio,
I would be most grateful.

I am willing to learn about all the stuff that I do not understand, i would also
apreciate even links to tutorials on how to setup this radio for hexacopters.
OkaNare is offline Find More Posts by OkaNare
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 06:53 AM
Registered User
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,890 Posts
You would get a much more detailed response if you posted that in the Radio forum.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:48 AM
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkaNare View Post
Hi guys.
I am new to the world of rc multirotor flying & have a radiolink T6EHP-E tx that I
bought from china for my flywheel f550 which I built gradually over time. It has a
kk2.1 board from Hobbyking, 1000kv motors, 10x4.5 props & fmt 30A escs. In the
future I will be looking to add a gopro gimbal that I bought also from hobbyking.

I have managed to find plenty of tutorials to setup the kk board but none at all
for the tx. I have setup the frame & fc board according to the KK instructions i
found on forums & on youtube and have everything functioning correctly
(I think so anyway).
For now only the tx settings are standing between me & my 1st flight test.

I have searched the net & gone through the manual a countless times & have only
managed to set the trims, calibrate the ESCs, bind a radiolink r7eh rx to tx & the
throttle hold.
I do not understand the Idle Up Throttle/Pitch Curves, gyros, Swash, Dual
Rate/Exponential, epa, setting up fail safe, etc.

Does anyone have this same setup to help me with some settings for this radio to
get me going? In the meantime, if someone can send me the digits
(or screen shots of the LCD readout) for the setting parameters in the radio,
I would be most grateful.

I am willing to learn about all the stuff that I do not understand, i would also
apreciate even links to tutorials on how to setup this radio for hexacopters.
what the hell are you talking about
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
I use a Futaba 6EX as a mode 2 and the sail control is on channel 3 (Throttle). The radio comes with a ratchet on the throttle and no centering spring, so moving the lever, it stays where put and I can move it one click at a time for repeatable setting of the sails.
John.
Ahh! I hate the rachet springs I do away with them and just a use a smooth control travel
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 06:59 PM
Registered User
Aten W Arthog's Avatar
Joined Sep 2002
1,051 Posts
If the boat is well-trimmed, without too much weather helm, you can also steer a bit, just letting the mainsheet in and out.

I set up my radio so the right stick is rudder (I think of it as tiller), and the left stick is the mainsheet. How I like it set up is that pushing the left, "mainsheet" stick forward, ***away from me*** is "sheeting OUT", and pulling the stick ***towards me*** is "sheeting-IN". That's counter-intuitive to flyers or motor-boat owners who think of the left stick as just a throttle. But it seems to help me a LOT, because it mimics my actual arm motions when I sail in my real-life scow, and it doesn't affect my flying abilities on my airplane radios at all.
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
what the hell are you talking about
I am asking for help setting up my radiolink t6ehp-e with parameters that will work on a f550 flywheel. In my post I have included details of my f550 setup. Numbers, pictures and any info for similar setup are all welcome.
OkaNare is offline Find More Posts by OkaNare
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:43 AM
Registered User
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkaNare View Post
I am asking for help setting up my radiolink t6ehp-e with parameters that will work on a f550 flywheel. In my post I have included details of my f550 setup. Numbers, pictures and any info for similar setup are all welcome.
I'm afraid that since this is a sailboat thread you may not get much help. Sailors typically use two channels, steer with one and trim sails with the other. That is about it for most of us, there are a few guys who actually know what "Mix" and "Throttle Up", etc, actually mean but not most of us.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Setting up new ESC and new transmitter reciever aftatchell Electric Plane Talk 3 May 27, 2013 06:16 AM
For Sale JR S400 Transmitter / JR ST47 Servos (Set of 4) / JR RS600 Receiver (ALL LIKE NEW) alabamachaser Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Mar 24, 2013 10:42 PM
Rave DX6I DSMx Transmitter + Blade mSR X Set Up Drjoepa Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 6 Jan 30, 2013 05:14 PM
Discussion DX7 Transmitter Set-up Bob6831 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8 Jan 25, 2013 09:27 AM
Discussion What would be the ideal full set-up for Plantraco's Micro9 Servo Receiver? hklam Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 Jan 11, 2007 09:24 PM