Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:57 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jun 2001
1,009 Posts
How do you set up your flap and aileron with Eclipse?

Hi all

I have used the ACRO mode on my eclipse for Duo Discus which require aileron and spoiler.

The spoiler is pre mix to throttle so that it can varied as per throttle stick(I used ACRO mode so my motor speed is variable too!). For spoiler its only pop to one direction ie up. I can't remember off hand if I off the EPA for the other direction. Need to check later.

So for flap, though it always drop down, but you also want it to be able to reflex up or chamber down slightly for thermal or speed.

So how do you set it up? I know with acro more this is a pain because you can sync the aileron/flap together.

How?
Magna is offline Find More Posts by Magna
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:11 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
If I remember right you set the camber up and down under the speed offsets menus...But I think that is only avail under 4 servo setup in the glider mode. I had used the acro mode for a while but found that I hardly ever used partial throttle, so I went to using the throttle on a switch in the glider mode. It made it easier to set up the flap-aileron mixing!
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Jan 19, 2004, 09:00 PM
Malaysia
Joined Jun 2001
1,009 Posts
GLID mode is my last resort as I need to relearn the control process of the throttle!
Magna is offline Find More Posts by Magna
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:28 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
This is one of my biggest beefs against my Eclipse.
Is you have ailerons with separate servos and mixed channels you can't use the flaps. The mix is ch1 and ch6. Unfortunately ch6 is this the flap channel. You could use the ch 7 knob on the top right for flaps but it's hard to reach with your left hand or requires you to take your right hand off of the stick.
As soon as I save up enough money Iíll sell it and get a Futaba 9C with switch assign ability.
Rob.
RobZ is offline Find More Posts by RobZ
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:38 AM
Hey, I wanna fly too!
United States, TX, Justin
Joined Sep 2001
223 Posts
When I assembled my first 4-wing servo glider with my Eclipse, I was initially concerned by the lack of throttle control. After a year in the air, I've come to realize how silly my concern was.

Think about it. You flip on a switch, glider powers up and you launch, pull to elevation, flip off power. Glide around (clever name: 'Gliders' ) Loose too much elevation, flip switch, gain altitude, flip off switch. Repeat till battery low...

Unless the project is something like a scale Katana motor glider where taxing at WOT would be undesirable, Why do you need proportional throttle? The extra functionality you get in Glider Mode far outweigh it.

Terry
tphillips is offline Find More Posts by tphillips
Old Jan 20, 2004, 08:03 AM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
Terry, That is what I found out as well! I have since upgraded to the 9c and find it much more substantial than the eclipse. And have the throttle on the trainer switch(spring loaded) I was a hold-out on using this mode of throttle activation because of prior experience with gas planes. Once that I tried the throttle on a switch I never looked back!
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:00 AM
Rochester, MN
Joined Nov 2002
983 Posts
I've got an Eclipse and am awaiting the arrival of a 4 servo wing electric sailplane and have been stumped by the same question and found a possible answer here in the discussion group given by one of the members who flies in ACRO mode and it goes like this:

"Eclipse Crow:
Use the same setup as for flaps (assuming you use 2 servos on Channel 2 & 6) only start with the rotating knob (left top of transmitter) fully clockwise and center your aileron servos. Now when you turn the knob anti clockwise your ailerons will go up (Crow). Set both crow and ailerons to 50% trow otherwise you will not have enough aileron travel available".

Sorry I cant seem to find this thread but if you guys try this set-up, could you please post here if it works.

Hope this helps

Found the thread:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s&pagenumber=2
evan is offline Find More Posts by evan
Last edited by evan; Jan 20, 2004 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 04:21 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
The question is: where do you put your flaps once you have used the flap channel (ch 6) for the left aileron when you use Acro set up?
I think that using the glider set up and throttle on a switch is the best answer.
Rob.
RobZ is offline Find More Posts by RobZ