Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 30, 2001, 09:52 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Lets fly the EDF design entries at SMALL Steps 2002!

I spoke with Paul Willenborg in Little Rock today and we thought is would be great fun to encourage as many as possible of the MF480/KY Fan Design contest entries to come to Small Steps in Little Rock, AR next summer for a group photo and flying session.

SMALL Steps is a fly in-type event that encourages small models and these small EDFs will fit right in!

The timing of the SMALL Steps event is nice in that the design contest closes in early June as well.

The event is VERY EDF friendly and will fall in early June (exact date to be determined). It is a half days drive from Ezone HQ in Dallas. It is a reasonable days drive from a good part of the Midwest. It is close enough that I bet we could get EAM to attend.

I realise that this venue is not real convienent for the east and west coast entries, but perhaps you guys could find a similar event to visit as a group. Or, make the trek to Little Rock!...

Think about it!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2001, 12:45 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,099 Posts
Question, do they have a runway, or is this another converted free flight venue (toss and land where ever and how ever)? There will be jet models intered in this competition that will taxi out, take off, retract gear, have fun flying, inter the pattern, drop flaps, drop gear, land, and taxi back in.
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old Dec 02, 2001, 01:12 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Reynolds
Question, do they have a runway, or is this another converted free flight venue (toss and land where ever and how ever)? There will be jet models intered in this competition that will taxi out, take off, retract gear, have fun flying, inter the pattern, drop flaps, drop gear, land, and taxi back in.
bob: if someone designs a 250w single, 400w twin that has all those functions i'd venture to say they win! contest over!!..........gregg
Old Dec 02, 2001, 06:53 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Runway? Yep, for the last few years.

The previous SMALL Steps venue for the last few years had a very nice runway. There is a chance of a change this year, as the field is slated for future business development.

It had the best of both worlds in that in addition to the runway, it had something that you rarely see in AZ: the grass landing areas were like putting greens, and out a ways there was the proverbial knee high grass for those early trim flights on FF and other models. This makes landing gear on EDF models a bit less nessessary than it is out in the desert.

Personally, I'm going to not do landing gear on my model. The sites I fly at have decent grass areas. Different strokes for differnt folks.

We will keep folks posted as to dates and times for SMALL Steps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2001, 08:30 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
SMALL 2002

The latest word from the CD is that SMALL will be the first weekend of June. At this point the exact location is not known for sure. We may get to use the excellent field Tom mentioned one more time.

This is an outstanding event that has drawn over 100 pilots for many years running. There has always been heavy participation by electric flyers, and there are always many unique and often outrageous models.

More details as the time gets closer.

Paul
Paul Willenborg is offline Find More Posts by Paul Willenborg
Old Dec 03, 2001, 08:58 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,099 Posts
Gregg, If I can get my 41" ws F-117N to fly on two EJF 400 fans with retracts, large radio, radio battery, and 8 cell-2400's, then a larger version for the wemotec fans plus flaps shoul be real easy. It all boils down to carefull design and building. Think of the advantages of retracts: no hard points for throwing; no reinforced nose for bungie; no reinforced hold point for bungie; no reinforced belly or skid marks for less than perfect arrivals; and you fit in with the NORMAL flying planes at your rc club field.
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old Dec 03, 2001, 03:09 PM
Newcastle, England
Joined Sep 2001
80 Posts
Ermmm, how far from Newcastle Upon Tyne, England is that?

hehe
Rob Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Rob Andrew
Old Dec 03, 2001, 09:19 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
Rob,

You wouldn't be the first person to make the trip from the UK to Little Rock for SMALL! Several groups from Arizona, New Mexico, and the East Coast regularly show up too.

Paul
Paul Willenborg is offline Find More Posts by Paul Willenborg
Old Dec 03, 2001, 09:25 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Rob, you and the other UK entrants ought to get together at some venue over there, do some flying and take a group photo, as well!

Of course, as Paul says, you are more than welcome at SMALL Steps....

Who is going to pull to gether the East and West coast US entries for a group shot??
RCG Plus Member