Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 05, 2013, 10:39 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
Discussion
What batteries do you use?

Just curious on what people are using since I am new to subs, Mainly for micro subs. Working on two right now (finishing a academy model that IS water tight, and starting a 1/350 ssbn delta class sub) and I was thinking of making a battery that is sealed with charging plug access.

I will soon post about the academy sub later when it is completely done.
asd9000 is offline Find More Posts by asd9000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2013, 02:17 PM
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
I use packets of eneloop 1.2V rechargables. As these have no memory you can leave them in the boat for long period of time without capacity loss. Great and safe batteries if you don't need very high currents

Freek
FreekS is offline Find More Posts by FreekS
Old Jun 05, 2013, 08:26 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
429 Posts
I would not recommend charging a battery in a sealed compartment. There are explosive hazards in doing that. Many batteries out gas while being charged and can accumulate flammable gases.
I always leave an area open or remove my batteries (depending on type) to charge. Not that I have tried charging in a sealed container, so others can speak up, I just paid attention to advice from some sages here and other forums have offered.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Jun 05, 2013, 09:31 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
I am using lipos in the academy sub but I think for my Future subs I will be using a123 bats, seems hard to find good ones and the ones hobby king has are big 25mm wide! too big for my micro/mini subs. Sure for a typhoon great but any other 1/350 scale sub its almost impossible.

Do lipos or life batteries let off gasses?
Old Jun 07, 2013, 11:29 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asd9000 View Post
Lipos are completely sealed. If they're off gassing they're damaged.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jun 08, 2013, 09:21 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,574 Posts
Quote:
I am using lipos in the academy sub but I think for my Future subs I will be using a123 bats, seems hard to find good ones and the ones hobby king has are big 25mm wide! too big for my micro/mini subs. Sure for a typhoon great but any other 1/350 scale sub its almost impossible.

there are two form-factors for a123 LiFe batteries...

18650 (small)
26650 (large)

i think the first two digits might actually be the diameter in millimeters. you can find sites that sell both sizes, individually and in packs. the smaller ones are slightly larger than a AA battery. try using "a123 life 18650" as a search term on fleebay.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jun 08, 2013, 03:17 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! a123's look great as long as they can handle some bursty discharge like a ballast tank. I hate to do this but I ll ask it anyway.

Anyone know where to get a good computerized radio for a sub? relatively cheap I want my cake, and I want to eat it :P.
Old Jun 08, 2013, 03:42 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! a123's look great as long as they can handle some bursty discharge like a ballast tank. I hate to do this but I ll ask it anyway.

Anyone know where to get a good computerized radio for a sub? relatively cheap I want my cake, and I want to eat it :P.
for the computerized radios that work with subs you have caswell or ebay. expect to spend $150+ at caswell, and $150+ for used stuff off ebay.
Last edited by tsenecal; Jun 08, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2013, 04:11 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
For radios, I got a used Futaba 8 channel with a 75Mhz module. I love the radios that accept modules as I can get an RF module for pretty much any vendor's custom spec all while using the same radio. The same radio has actually gone up in price since I got it. This is due to the explosion of proprietary RF "standards" that are out there.
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
Old Jun 08, 2013, 07:07 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroengineer1 View Post
For radios, I got a used Futaba 8 channel with a 75Mhz module. I love the radios that accept modules as I can get an RF module for pretty much any vendor's custom spec all while using the same radio. The same radio has actually gone up in price since I got it. This is due to the explosion of proprietary RF "standards" that are out there.
we are kind of going off topic hear, but....

Aeroengineer1 is right. i have no idea why futaba and JR stopped doing the modules, the module based designs were the best out there.

I have three futaba 9cap, first one was bought brand new from my now non-existant local hobby shop in 2003 for $385. second one was bought in 2009 off of ebay for $125. third one was bought 2011 off of ebay for $200.

i have an assan 2.4ghz module, a spektrum 2.4ghz module, a futaba 2.4ghz module, a futaba 50mhz module, hitec synthesized 75mhz modules, and futaba synthesized 75 mhz modules. I also have several 72mhz modules on different frequencies. another nice aspect of the futaba computerized radios is they have expandable memory. all 3 of mine are setup to handle as many as 128 different models.

on ebay you can still find 8, 9 & 10 channel JR, futaba, Robbe & Graupner module based radios. some are very rare like the Robbe FC-28, while others can be found any day of the week like the 9cap
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2009
165 Posts
Thanks for the reply but I had the feeling that those were going to be the answers. Right now I am using eflite heli radios from their rtf kits. And for dynamic divers they are fine, and I can assume static as well. I have been keeping an eye on ebay but the prices are what you guys mention. God I would kill for a jr module to fit in my 9xr!, I know you have to modify the pins to get it to work but it would totally be worth it and I love the er9x firmware.

EDIT: what do you guys think of this idea
Turnigy 9X 6volt modification to allow the usage of a 72 MHz JR module (10 min 39 sec)

I found the module (pcm, not duel like he has) for a steal on ebay 16bucks shipped! and bought it just in case. do you think this will be a viable option?

But the few models you have mentioned are nice Thanks for all the replys!
Last edited by asd9000; Jun 11, 2013 at 09:05 PM.