HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2004, 05:56 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
In reading comments by RCELECTFLY he says "as the cells fly around like a rocket when they ignite." I have been following threads on li pos for a long time and this is the very first time that I have heard of any mention of this taking place. Mind you I have no way to dispute this, but somehow I find it difficult to see how this could happen. I have been using li pos for several months and recharge them with respect, however I do not teather them down. Can someone clarify that they have experienced this action? I would like to know the brand of charger being used. For information I am using the Astroflight 109 with Deans micro connectors and I doubt that the batterys could disconnect if they burst into flame. Please add me to the many that are sorry for your friends losses. Gud Flying..........Dick
Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:20 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
For all those who are discouraged from using Li-polys by descriptions of accidents such as this one, as well as for those who always like to take a shot at Li-polys whenever there is a thread on any Li-poly fire, please note that this is yet another secondary fire that was preventable. The user made a mistake, as was admitted in the first message of this thread. People are human and make mistakes. That's why strict adherence to redundant safety measures is critical.

The safety procedures for charging Li-poly have been repeated over and over and over again. The major safety problem from Li-polys failing catastrophically is not from the cell destruction itself, but from the secondary fires that can be started. It is most urgently recommended that no Li-poly pack be charged in a location where it can start a secondary fire. If this rule is followed religiously, the worst that will happen is that a replaceable Li-poly pack will be destroyed.

Anyone who cannot religiously live by the rule of never, ever, under any conceivable circumstances charging R/C Li-poly packs except in a fire-resistant container or location where they are many feet away from any combustible material should not be using Li-poly cells. Sorry, no exceptions.

For those who believe that charging Li-polys in fire-resistant steel boxes or safes is overkill, at least we can all live with that kind of kill.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:32 PM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Jan 2003
3,650 Posts
in the case of human error, faulty charger or faulty pack, if there were a combustion, how much explotion pressure is there? Would it blow a 5 pound lid off a cast iron kettle. In a vented container would the fire blow through holes enough to cause a fire.

I know these are vague questions that contain a lot of variables, but does anyone now what safe for indoor use?
Bill Bergman is offline Find More Posts by Bill Bergman
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:51 PM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Jan 2003
3,650 Posts
Sorry, don't understand what you mean.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:54 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
See Dave's post, the comment wasn't directed yur way-
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:56 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick
In reading comments by RCELECTFLY he says "as the cells fly around like a rocket when they ignite." I have been following threads on li pos for a long time and this is the very first time that I have heard of any mention of this taking place.
This has been reported before - I think you will find several "rocket" reports in the list of incidents.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:57 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Ken, you weren't taking anything I said personally, were you? My comment was not directed at you or any individual in this thread, but to those without any experience with Li-polys who use fire report threads to take gratuitous shots at Li-polys in general.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:04 PM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
Bill,

So far as I know, nobody has provoked a LiPo to catch fire in a Sentry or Briggs box. IMO, It might be a worthwhile task for a competent experimentor.

But I am comfortable that a Briggs (which has no airtight seal and is inherently vented) or a vented Sentry, would prevent corollary damage, because all the reported fires I know of where a person witnessed the event resulted in limited damage. That is, the fire did not get away from the witness - professional firefighters were not involved. To me, that means the amount of energy released was limited and of rather short duration. I believe DNA's videos are a good illustration of that.

So, I'm with Dave Hederich. I believe every LiPo charge (Fred Marks: "Safety is a matter of discipline") should be done in a Briggs or Sentry box, at least. A fireplace, with its chimney venting, would be an extra precaution.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Last edited by RD Blakeslee; Jan 19, 2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:12 PM
Chicagoland Area
Joined Oct 2003
412 Posts
Sorry for ALL your Losses guys , Just like the first Nimh packs they will get these batteries figured out in a year or so. Fire hazard is a real problem ,Burn down a farmers field or your house, Her is a Cheap, Safe ALT, 1100mah 15amp push to 25 amp,1 buck a piece wont burst in FLAMES>
WingMan33 is offline Find More Posts by WingMan33
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:13 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
has a user made individually full charged li-po pack ever caught fire?

JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:19 PM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Jan 2003
3,650 Posts
I saw a small, low to the ground bar-b-que pit that look like it would be a decent choice for the quickly expanding burning gases. As a container that didn't ventilate quickly enough would be similar of what happens in a shotgun shell or pipe bomb.

I am a LiPoly user, I am cautious, but where I charge is just asking for trouble. I have 8 or so packs just laying out. I charge in a crowded corner surrounded with planes, computer stuff , guitars, carpet and wooden furniture.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:13 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
"Perhaps I'll back off my Lipo conversion date to a year after Bob Villa starts advertising lipo powered Sears power tools?"

Lithium powered cordless tool.

Everyday lithium is coming. Dewalt and Makita have yet to realease anything for Li technology but I think it relates more to current capacity rather than safety.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:15 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
One thing that I may not have made clear in my first message is that a few reported Li-poly failures have resulted in the venting process turning the cells into mini rockets that moved several feet from their original resting place. This is a similar effect to that of a balloon being blown up and then released -- the air rushing out of the opening can propel the balloon across the room. That's the last thing you want with an object spewing flame! So Li-polys really need to be contained by something so that they can't take flight in the event of a catastrophic failure. Among other things, fire-resistant steel security boxes and safes can prevent this.

I think that part of the reason why people get lulled into feeling as safe about charging Li-polys around combustible materials as they would NiCds or NiMH cells is because Li-poly fires are still relatively rare. We go for weeks without seeing a report on this forum, even though many hundreds of Li-poly users post here. So it's not as if it happens to one out of every five or 10 users. But while the odds may be against any individual having a fire, the results are potentially catastophic for the few who do have them.

Ken, I was just thinking that there are probably many new people here who don't know the reason why you turned against Li-polys. Perhaps it would help educate some of the newcomers if you briefly recounted the incident that happened to you. As I recall, you were among the first to have this problem, before general safety warnings were widely understood. It would be really productive if we could use this thread to help prevent another Li-poly user from suffering a similar fate.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:24 PM
Chicagoland Area
Joined Oct 2003
412 Posts
Dave Quote(as for those who always like to take a shot at Li-polys whenever there is a thread on any Li-poly fire, please note that this is yet another secondary fire that was preventable. Take a shot? not the primary fire but the secondary fire, Venting and flying like a balloon blowing air ) But the air is burning HYDROGEN GAS!! Dave it is still a fire from the batteries,THE GUN DID NOT KILL HIM IT WAS THE BULLET DUH!!
WingMan33 is offline Find More Posts by WingMan33
Last edited by WingMan33; Jan 19, 2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:54 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
that was the most confusing post i've read in weeks.
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless