HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Video Aerial Systems BluBeam Ultra

A few improvements to a classic from IBCrazy

Splash

Additional filtering for the popular BluBeam fpv antenna

Video Aerial Systems' BluBeam antenna has become a household name in the fpv world. Available in both the 3-lobe Airscrew and 5-lobe Mad Mushroom design, the BluBeam Ultra takes it a step further by incorporating a balun in the line, designed to reduce signal creep down the shield of the antenna cable and into the receiver. The lobes of the aerial and hub are dipped in a rubber coating to increase durability.

The BluBeam Ultra is available in 1.2-1.3GHz and 5.8GHz, and available in right-hand circular polarization (RHCP) only.

Link to product.

BluBeam Antennas overview (2 min 39 sec)

Discussion

Old Jun 05, 2013, 01:28 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
I actually have the ultras and love them.
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Old Jun 05, 2013, 04:13 PM
SR 120,T28D Trojan,F4U Corsair
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2010
40 Posts
Me WANT!
MercMan007 is offline Find More Posts by MercMan007
Old Jun 06, 2013, 12:28 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2007
1,356 Posts
Can't seem to find the pricing to order?
WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2013, 12:31 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,002 Posts
Here, try this google search. Theres lots of reputable dealers selling them as well.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Jun 06, 2013, 01:16 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Readymaderc.com
Old Jun 06, 2013, 10:57 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,402 Posts
Thanks for the review, Matt. I see you got the early revisions and not the newer ones. The new ones are blue (we had issues with VOC's on the rubber compound so we went with black for the initial production run) and have a more substantial nylon lock over the feed in the center to prevent breakage. The cloverleaf is also now an Airscrew antenna. Just a small improvement. Not much, but a small one.

To turn a cloverleaf into an airscrew, just bend the lobes down 22 degrees so the angle off the top and the angle at the base are the same. This ONLY works on the Ultra line. It does not work with a regular cloverleaf (trade secret).

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2013, 09:30 AM
United States, WA, Mt Vernon
Joined Apr 2013
22 Posts
Bluebeam Antenna on the F550

Hello all, I am new to the whole multirotor adventure. I purchased a DJI F550 from a member of this forum and I have flown the unit about 8 times and no crashes. Now I would like to venture in to the FPV realm and I have a question about antenna placement.

My current setup:
-Futaba RX
-NAZA with GPS
-Aeroxcraft Landing Gear
-Aeroxcraft Gimbal - With Metal Gear Servos (Turnigy)
-Stock DJI 2212 Motors
-GoPro Hero 3
-10.5 Carbon Fiber Balanced Props

What I will be adding:
-ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mw Audio/Video Transmitter.
-Fatshark attitude SD Goggles
-5.8 GHz Bluebeam Ultra Antenna Set (RHCP) (IBCrazy)

Questions:

1. What is the best placement for the Bluebeam Antenna on the F550? Concerns, interference with DJI GPS antenna and other forms of interference.
BoeingSWTech is offline Find More Posts by BoeingSWTech
Old Jun 07, 2013, 09:48 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,402 Posts
I would mount it upside down on the Helicopter (make sure you have landing gear so you don't land on it). This way you can't get it tangled in the props and if you do come in for a crushing touchdown, the antenna might bend, but you can just bend it back.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2013, 09:57 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Thanks for the review, Matt. I see you got the early revisions and not the newer ones.
Yep, I had the early one. Unfortunately, I didn't tighten it down well after removing it and it fell over into the blades of my quad! Ill be ordering a new one soon.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:21 AM
Eyes on the Prize
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Oct 2012
81 Posts
WebDr, Alex,

Can you explain the main difference between a Skew Planar wheel/ Cloverleaf combo vs the BluBeam Ultra?

I'm using Immersion RC gear at the moment, but looking to upgrade slowly to bigger and better systems. Taken your advice from the "How to be successful in fpv" videos mate.

P.S. was good to see you blow the competition away in the Woggle course haha!
Strangely_Calm is offline Find More Posts by Strangely_Calm
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:57 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,402 Posts
The Ultras simply have higher axial ratio. This comes in handy in places where the ground has high mineral content (such as in the mountains around where I live) and also helps when flying proximity. Multirotor pilots will see the largest benefit. For 5.8Ghz, the difference is substantial. For 2.4 and 1.3GHz, the difference is less substantial.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:07 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
The Ultras simply have higher axial ratio. This comes in handy in places where the ground has high mineral content (such as in the mountains around where I live) and also helps when flying proximity. Multirotor pilots will see the largest benefit. For 5.8Ghz, the difference is substantial. For 2.4 and 1.3GHz, the difference is less substantial.

-Alex
When I upgraded to the bluebeams ultras I noticed a difference. Very happy with them
On my quad. I use 1.3.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:24 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,402 Posts
^At the Pecan patch we had a pilot out 5.5 miles and somebody was picking up his video on the Mad Mushroom. I could hardly believe it. 5.5 miles is ridiculous for omni antennas but the Ultras did it on 600mW.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
Hanover, VA
United States, VA, Mechanicsville
Joined Oct 2007
62 Posts
Blue beam SPW

Alex,

I ordered the new Blue Beam Ultra to replace the Blue Beam that got mangled in my quad's prop. Is there going to be any issue with using the BBU CL with the BB SPW?
raamedicva is offline Find More Posts by raamedicva