SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2013, 01:49 AM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
1,012 Posts
Mini-Review
WL Toys V913 400-size 4CH Fixed-Pitch Heli Not-So-Mini Review

WL Toys V913 400-size 4CH Fixed-Pitch Heli Not-So-Mini Review

After my successful reviews of the WL Toys V911 & V929, the same fellow from TMart contacted me again. This time he wanted me to review the WLToys 913 Large-Scale 4CH FP Heli. Of course, I said yes! Again!

The package arrived in good condition via USPS Express Mail in 5 days; shipped from their N. Brunswick, New Jersey warehouse. My reviewed V911 from this warehouse also arrived in 5 days; definitely better than waiting on China Air Mail.

Thanks to Alizee at TMart for providing the review Heli; and for, as always, asking only for an honest review.

1) What's in the box

The box: Retail packaging just like my V911, not shipped in plain generic brown box like my orders from AliExpress. Package came double boxed, and the outside box had a number of dings on it, but the box inside arrived unscathed. No shipping stickers all over it; ready for gifting:

TMart ships in the full OEM Retail window-box packaging, unlike many other online vendors who disassemble the tail then either ship in plain brown box or cut down the window box to save on oversize package shipping costs. THIS BOX IS HUGE!!! It's the same size as the box from my Double Horse 9118; it is also standard retail packaging intended to be as shiny & attractive as possible for Shopping Mall Kiosk & Store shelf sales, rather than configured with a molded insert to be conveniently used as a carrying case like the V911. Well, you can't have everything. TMart is listing them currently for $124 and shipping from their USA Warehouse:

http://tinyurl.com/V913-TMart

Included in the kit were:

V913 Helicopter with 1500MAh 7.4V LiPo Battery Installed
Transmitter (Uses 4 AA batteries; Not Included)
Pair of Spare Main Blades
Spare Tail Rotor
Charger for Battery in Helicopter
AC Power Pack for LiPo Charger
USA to EuroPlug AC Adapter for AC Power Pack
Manual written in Chinese and the now-familiar Chinglish dialect

As with my last review, the first thing I did was to put the battery on to charge while I began my technical teardown; it took slightly less than an hour to fully charge the LiPo battery. I thought that wasn't too bad, but clearly it shipped with a partial charge; subsequent charge cycles took the full 90 minutes stated in the manual, almost to the minute.

Red LED Indicates power; green LED Indicates battery pack attached & charging. When green LED goes out, pack is charged.

2) Introduction

The V913 is the big brother to the V912 & V911; its mechanical design is based on the Double Horse/Shuang Ma 9117, only with modified servo orientation which matches the WL Toys firmware. It looks like my V911 & my DH9118 hooked up and had a REALLY big baby.

The V913 has much more in common with the Double Horse family of large-scale Toy helicopters than with any of the V911 microheli family; this makes sense, as its middle brother the V912 was based on the 250-sized DH 9116.

Family Portrait

We all know who rules the roost here... Dam skippy! The little banty rooster on the left!

The V913 is larger still; approximately 400 sized, and the blades are exactly the same as those on my DH 9118 even down to the molding marks. Man, do they move some air! I fear the day they make a 700-size model; it will probably be brushless powered and sound like a turbocharged pterodactyl swooping down on its prey.

I don't know if this collaboration is the result of a business agreement or a business acquisition; but it does suggest that a lot more exciting products are on the horizon for both companies! WL Toys has been pushing the envelope, blurring the lines between Toy Grade and Hobby Grade helis since the first little Corter V911s, then the V9x9 Quads and V922 CP Flybarless MicroHeli; adding the larger scale manufacturing prowess of Shuang Ma could mean many more affordable and larger models for us to enjoy in the future!

I do all my own stunts!

This heli, aside from the obvious Shuang Ma influence, is another (and mostly successful) attempt to take the brilliant performance of the V911 and upscale it to the larger heli market. It's still a "Toy" helicopter, so performance is not going to be the same as "Hobby" grade helicopters; then again, neither is the price.

Motor is still mounted fore of the mainshaft to help keep rotational mass balanced; the head uses the same 45 offset flybar, only with the servos moved aft of the mainshaft instead of built into the mainboard.

Main blades now pivot like a real heli as opposed to the V911's single solid "propeller". This thing is big & heavy enough that it would be dangerous if they didn't!

Canopy is made of the same uber-rugged black "Tupperware" plastic as that of the original V911 and sports a similar red/black/yellow paint scheme; as do the blades.

MainBoard /RX appear identical to the existing V912 & DH 9116/9117 modules; power switch turns On/Off the ESC/BEC portion, main motor current is switched entirely electronically. This means that the included LiPo battery needs to be unplugged when not in use; of course we all know better than to store or charge a LiPo battery IN THE HELICOPTER, DON'T WE?

Main motor is a cored/brushed 380 can-style which has have been powering small RC aircraft for generations; we're working it fairly hard, so they've added some formed aluminum brackets to help wick the heat away to the aluminum frame members. I added the heat sink compound to help it do its job. I also added the Velcro for the battery and the strap; I DO NOT like to charge LiPos IN the aircraft.

Tail motor is a 12-24 brushed can motor with gear reduction and a heat sink of its own; the oversized tail rotor needs it! Yes, I added heat sink compound here too.

Power is provided by a fairly generic 7.4V 2S/1500mAH LiPo battery with the small red JST plug; it provides approximately 7-8 minutes flight time. The manufacturer recommends allowing the heli to cool while it charges; as I mentioned before, this can take as long as 90 minutes. As this battery is a standard LiPo with standard power and balance plugs, it CAN be charged with a "Hobby Grade" LiPo charger. These will typically charge the battery in less than half the time of the one included with the heli; some as fast as 30 minutes. That's still plenty of cool-down time.

3) Flying

The V913 exhibits flight behavior from both its parents; it has hovering stability similar to that of the 9118 coaxial due to its large mass and deliberately oversized flybar. While it is NOT as quick it's little brother the V911, which can best be characterized as "zippy but well-mannered", neither does it "lumber" like the 9118.

It is quick & nimble for its size & weight; I was able to throw it around the gym quite nicely, and even able to do some light windsurfing outdoors in 5-7 MPH winds with the rates set to "High". I found the "low rates" pretty much useless, even indoors (a trait obviously inherited from the Shaung Ma side of the family) until I moved the servo links to the outermost holes in the servo arms; this is a configuration not recommended or endorsed by the manufacturer and MAY result in premature servo or swash failure.

That said; set up that way, I found it much more responsive in general than any of the Double Horse products I've flown before; low rates were fine for slow circuits indoors while high rates will get it moving quickly.

Liftoff, like with its smaller cousins, is best done quickly; ground effect is VERY unfriendly due to massive amounts of propwash from the rotor disc. Once altitude is above 4 feet or so it stops beating itself up with its own wind and enters a nice, smooth hover; rudder inputs are crisp, and drift is minimal.

Like the V911, the usual "right hand lean" is pronounced when in a stationary hover; also like the V911, one typically needs only adjust rudder trim when the battery gets around 10% remaining. I take this as an indication that it's time to make my last lap and bring it in.

Handling, however, is where it falls in the middle; it is quick & well-mannered, but not precise. While the handling of the V911 is crisp & tight, the V913 is all power and propwash; precision landings in a 1-foot square which are easily accomplished with the V911 require a LOT of patience and throttle management with the V913.

Banking turns it handles well up to about 30-35 from level, then the flybar REALLY starts fighting you; it has a tendency to drift laterally in the opposite direction as if "rebounding" from hard rudder input, and pirouettes require careful throttle management dependent upon the direction of rudder input. These behaviors SO FAR have prevented me from doing any "Half-pipe" maneuvers or tail-sliding; I think I can get a good 30x30 half-pipe going if I keep at it, maybe more. I'm not sure if the above behavior will ever allow me to tail-slide.

V913 400-Size 4CH Fixed Pitch Helicopter (5 min 44 sec)

Here's video from my first pack through the heli after I got it; I flew for a minute or two then handed it over to my buddy Brook so I could shoot some video. He was really impressed by how user-friendly and stable it is right out of the box, as opposed to his prior experiences with a T-REX 450 Clone CCPM "Real Heli" which were "white knuckle flying all the time" for him and not at all fun due to the stress.

Video Overview of WL Toys V912/V913 Transmitter (3 min 53 sec)

The remote control which ships with the V912 & V913 is a an attempt to distance these larger models from the "Toy Heli" Game-Controller style transmitters of the past; it is larger and sports a more "Real-Radio" look & feel. It has a similar LCD display to previous transmitters only larger, and a number of buttons on the front, only one of which is functional at present: to swap the rudder from the left stick to the right.

This, combined with an ingenious mechanism of springs and cams, allows a second slider (Between the Power switch and an actual metal NeckStrap eyelet) to switch Throttle control from left stick to right, allowing the user to select from Mode 1, 2, 3 & 4 stick configurations without ever opening the TX.

The other front panel buttons are presumed to provide other functions on as-yet unreleased models; though they ARE populated with active switches and circuitry.

Inside, they've replaced the "all on one PC Board" design with a more "Real Radio" design which features actual, separate gimbals and digital trims.

As I mentioned before the TX has High & Low rates; these are toggled with the LH shoulder button. The TX also has a RH shoulder button like earlier versions; on the V913, it operates as a momentary "Accelerate" or "Turbo" mode; adding approx 20% more maximum throw to both servos and "telescoping" the entire scale accordingly. There does not appear to be any D/R or Expo involved. On the V959 QuadCopter it toggles the lights ON & OFF, but does NOT enable "Flip" mode. On the V911 it causes the tail rotor to accelerate to FULL ON, causing a dramatic clockwise pirouette. As of this time, testing with my V959 has not revealed any additional functionality in the other front panel buttons.

4) Durability

As I've said before I am in no way what I would consider to be a pilot. I'm a hardcore stick-banger, and no longer fast enough to get myself out of trouble a lot of the time. In short, I crash A LOT. This heli does keep the family tradition of holding up very well; aside from a servo which got banjaxxed after a particularly rough crash it has survived impact with walls, concrete floors, side of the house and even got caught by the kite-eating tree a couple times and survived recovery, all with no more than some scuffs on the blades and canopy. I have not yet (knocks on wood) had to replace anything else after a week of daily abuse... err, flights. If not for having to stop & straighten the FlyBar from time to time:

Mini How-To : Straighten & Balance V913 (And Similar) Wire-Core FlyBar (6 min 5 sec)

I'd rate it right there between the V911 and the V929. As it is, I rate it at or slightly below the V911, which major weaknesses are the skids & main blades.

5) Summary

I'm planning to add a more complete technical teardown of this heli in the coming week or two; I need to get this review posted so I'll pull the plug for now and revisit later.

Pros:
1) Nice & big; feels more like a REAL heli.
2) Almost as easy to fly as the V911; easier outdoors due to more weight & able to balance against the wind.
3) Costs 3x as much as the V911, but not near as much as a "Hobby Grade" heli of its size.
4) Upgrades! New, larger "Hobby-Grade" style LCD TX.
5) Tougher than rawhide. It has survived me flying it every day for almost 2 weeks.
6) Incredibly stable due to excellent flybar, Gyro & WLToys firmware; smooth flying even fighting moderate wind. VERY n00b friendly; yet still has good speed and maneuverability when you need it.

Cons:
1) More expensive, because it's bigger. Some may argue it's too much for a "Toy-grade" heli.
2) 90-min charge time, single battery. GET EXTRA BATTERIES!!!
3) Parts only available online, not OTC. This is a fact of life with Chinese imports like this one.
4) I REALLY LIKE the "Carrying Case Box" of other WL Toys products. Can we PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE have that happen with these?
5) The arguing on my shelf with its little brother is getting annoying. I may need to withold LiPos.

All told, if you're looking for a step up from Coaxial helis, or want a larger bird to fly outside, or are looking for a gift for someone with such interest, this is a great toy. Maybe not a great thing for someone already flying a Hobby-Grade heli, though interest at my flying club even by those who have very nice Hobby-Grade helis indicates otherwise. They may like it too, if for nothing else than to have something less stressful to fly when they're not trying to tame the wild ornithoids.

Thanks for reading;

mnem out!

UPDATE: SWASH, MAIN MOTOR & TAIL ROTOR / NO RIGHT TURN ISSUES

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=17
mnemennth is online now Find More Posts by mnemennth
Last edited by mnemennth; Jul 20, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:24 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
It's actually 300 size. The conventionally accepted size designations date back a number of years and refer to the size of the brushed motor used; 370 tin can = 300 size. Since most brushed motors are no longer made or used, the size designation has gotten a lot more fuzzy and is more based on blade size now. A 400 size heli swings blades at least 310 cm long. The V913 is exactly the same size as the old ESky HBFP, a very popular 300 size FP heli, about 5 years ago. Calling it 400 size will create confusion for beginners who think they can use parts from 400 - 450 size CP helis.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jun 04, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:38 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
4,405 Posts
Very nice review as usual ....

I would add in con : very hot motor temperature of the main motor ...

But I like this bird, I got it since 2 months .... Not yet broke the swash plate yet, but I will do your swash mod asap.

Are you sure it's a 380 motor ? I think it's a 370 ....
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jun 04, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
Nice review!
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
Old Jun 04, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
It's actually 300 size. The conventionally accepted size designations date back a number of years and refer to the size of the brushed motor used; 370 tin can = 300 size. Since most brushed motors are no longer made or used, the size designation has gotten a lot more fuzzy and is more based on blade size now. A 400 size heli swings blades at least 310 cm long. The V913 is exactly the same size as the old ESky HBFP, a very popular 300 size FP heli, about 5 years ago. Calling it 400 size will create confusion for beginners who think they can use parts from 400 - 450 size CP helis.
I understand what you're saying, but measuring against motor size and blade size are irrelevant due to the nature of the blades used in these fixed-pitch helis. Those designations were based on real, collective-pitch helis with flat blades; a completely different technology.

Because of the aggressive curvature of the blades, they are much shorter to produce a given amount of lift; this also means that they have to turn much slower RPM, so motor size is different due to gearing.

The only realistic means we have of gauging size on these toy helis is by overall chassis size excluding the rotor disc; by that standard, the DH 9118 is (and is marketed as) a 450-size fixed-pitch heli. The V9116 is marketed as a 250-size; the V913 is considerably larger than that, but slightly smaller than the DH9118.

Hence my designation as a 400-size heli; NOT 400-class. I would NEVER suggest that these helis are even the same species as a real 400-class heli.

As you say; these designations have really become irrelevant even for real "Hobby-Grade" helis; they are even more so for toy helis that only share the fact of being "Rotary-wing" with the real thing.

As for 370/380 can debate: I measured 36mm long; this could be a 370L or a 380S can. I wouldn't be able to tell for sure unless I cut it open and measured the armature to see if it has the taller 380 armature as well, or just the longer magnets for greater flux density. I've been a bit busy with this review for nits like that one; between flying the V913, and crashing it, and rebuilding it, and having to take all my photos again due to a corrupted CF card, I've not had time for anything else.

I took delivery on an Axe 100CP AND an Axe 100FP on Friday; I haven't even charged a battery on either one.

SeByDocKy - I suggest you do the Heat Sink Compound mod I mentioned in the review ASAP; those heat sink/brackets don't make good contact with the motor as-is.

Once you take the bottom plastic off the heli you'll see what I mean; they need to be massaged a little into the correct shape, then a little heat sink compound applied to the motor side, and to the flat sides where they screw to the frame.It lowered my motor temp GREATLY; also, you can FEEL the heat dissipated in the chassis. I intend to get another pair of those brackets with my next parts order and "double them up" so they spoon inside each other to increase the mass of the heat sink for better dissipation; they cost like a buck & change.

While you have that plastic off it's a good time to add the sticky Velcro and hot-glue a battery strap to the bottom; this makes it VERY convenient to swap the battery in & out for charging.

mnem
Yeah, I'm workin' on it.
Last edited by mnemennth; Jun 04, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 03:35 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined May 2013
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
Very nice review as usual ....

I would add in con : very hot motor temperature of the main motor ...

But I like this bird, I got it since 2 months .... Not yet broke the swash plate yet, but I will do your swash mod asap.

Are you sure it's a 380 motor ? I think it's a 370 ....
I was just about to ask you abou the swash plate when I saw your post. You do have it set in the outtermost holes very much since you got it right?

Why do you think your upper swash is still holding on while others have broken off?
BetAsh is offline Find More Posts by BetAsh
Old Jun 04, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,012 Posts
It may be flying style, it may be I've just been lucky with my crashes, it may be the fact I NEVER use "Turbo" mode. Well, I tried it once, and HATED the poor granularity of control with the range expanded in that fashion.

After installing the Turnigy servos with their longer arms, I found by observing on the bench with the blades removed that I could make the swash bind slightly against the link forks by pegging the cyclic to either forward corner in HIGH rate. I REALLY don't WANT any more travel than that. I haven't decided, but I MAY switch back to the 2nd from outermost hole on the servo arms; this is the same as the outermost hole on the stock servos.

I REALLY Like the way it handles with the TG9e servos, BTW. Response is MUCH crisper. I expect the same, if not better, from the HXT900s.

mnem
Got any swashes you need buckled?
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined May 2013
102 Posts
A few questions if you don't mind.

1. So, why would they ask you to write a review to the point of sending you the helicopter? Is there any connection between Tmart and WL Toys and does your review make it to some one in China? What purpose does it serve (aside from being helpful to us) because I don't see any reviews in Tmarts website.
I also think their price is a bit high. I got mine from UJtoys, based out of Houston, TX for $94 including tax and shipping.

2. QUOTE "of course we all know better than to store or charge a LiPo battery IN THE HELICOPTER, DON'T WE?" and " I also added the Velcro for the battery and the strap; I DO NOT like to charge LiPos IN the aircraft."
Why is it not good to store and charge the LiPo battery in the Helicopter and why don't you like it? I've been charging it in the Helicopter and of course that is where the LiPo sleeps also.

3. QUOTE "Handling, however, is where it falls in the middle; it is quick & well-mannered, but not precise. While the handling of the V911 is crisp & tight, the V913 is all power and propwash" and "Banking turns it handles well up to about 30-35 from level, then the flybar REALLY starts fighting you; it has a tendency to drift laterally in the opposite direction as if "rebounding" from hard rudder input, and pirouettes require careful throttle management dependent upon the direction of rudder input"

I've noticed when use rudder (turning right) it just keeps going and gaining speed even after releasing the stick. I somehow have managed to control it every time. I don't think its happened when turning left.
Is this what you are describing or am I experiencing something else?
I also have only flown it three times. Maybe I need to get more used to the TX? And no mechanical trimming yet.

4. QUOTE "90-min charge time, single battery. GET EXTRA BATTERIES!!!"

Some in the V913 thread have mentioned the Turnigy Nano-Tech 2000mAh. What are you using and personally recomend? Do they performed good?

I'm very sorry for all my questions. I'm learning little by little.

Regards
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined May 2013
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemennth View Post
It may be flying style, it may be I've just been lucky with my crashes, it may be the fact I NEVER use "Turbo" mode. Well, I tried it once, and HATED the poor granularity of control with the range expanded in that fashion.

After installing the Turnigy servos with their longer arms, I found by observing on the bench with the blades removed that I could make the swash bind slightly against the link forks by pegging the cyclic to either forward corner in HIGH rate. I REALLY don't WANT any more travel than that. I haven't decided, but I MAY switch back to the 2nd from outermost hole on the servo arms; this is the same as the outermost hole on the stock servos.

I REALLY Like the way it handles with the TG9e servos, BTW. Response is MUCH crisper. I expect the same, if not better, from the HXT900s.

mnem
Got any swashes you need buckled?
I see.
So, which of the two servos you recomend best?
Could you provide a link for both?
Old Jun 05, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetAsh View Post
I see.
So, which of the two servos you recomend best?
Could you provide a link for both?
Sorry; I forgot. Most of the time I'm talking to fellow "Hobby RCers" who all know about HobbyKing, HeliDirect, HeliPartz.com, etc.

These are both inexpensive "Store Brand" servos marketed by HobbyKing.com which have a good reputation as being better than average quality, while also being dirt cheap. Either will serve in this application; all that's needed is what's known as a "9gram" servo with speed around .10 seconds.

Right now, they are out of stock in both warehouses, so shop here at the US warehouse:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rvo_5_10g.html

or shop here at the Global warehouse:

From what I can see right now, these would be my first choice:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

but I'd probably get 2 or 3 of these just to see if they'll work with the signal from the RX; occasionally digital servos won't play well with all-in-one RX/Mainboards:

If not, I can always put them in another heli.

Delivery from the US warehouse is typically 5-9 days; Global (Hong Kong) is 2-3 weeks.

mnem
Faster.
Old Jun 06, 2013, 12:10 PM
Joined May 2013
102 Posts
Quote:
Sorry; I forgot. Most of the time I'm talking to fellow "Hobby RCers" who all know about HobbyKing, HeliDirect, HeliPartz.com, etc.

These are both inexpensive "Store Brand" servos marketed by HobbyKing.com which have a good reputation as being better than average quality, while also being dirt cheap. Either will serve in this application; all that's needed is what's known as a "9gram" servo with speed around .10 seconds.

Right now, they are out of stock in both warehouses, so shop here at the US warehouse:

or shop here at the Global warehouse:

From what I can see right now, these would be my first choice:

but I'd probably get 2 or 3 of these just to see if they'll work with the signal from the RX; occasionally digital servos won't play well with all-in-one RX/Mainboards:

If not, I can always put them in another heli.

Delivery from the US warehouse is typically 5-9 days; Global (Hong Kong) is 2-3 weeks.

mnem
Faster.
I see the links are for two other different servos than the TG9e and the HXT900s. What is making you go for the TGY-50090M? You now have the TG9e installed right?

I saw the last link is digital. I would probably stay analog since it would be my first time attempting this and want to keep it more simple, if it is simple at all.
Will the TG9e, HXT900s and TGY-50090M perform very similar.
Once I decide on some I will probably be asking on what is the knowledge and tools needed to do this mode.

Maybe you could do a how-to video when you isntalled your new ones or privide pics?

Regards
Last edited by BetAsh; Jun 06, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 11:15 PM
Joined Apr 2013
1 Posts
can anyone tell me what does wind grade mean for v913.
naldy1989 is offline Find More Posts by naldy1989
Old Jun 15, 2013, 02:20 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,012 Posts
BetAsh -

Functionally, they're all very close to the same specs, so you may very well not be able to detect any difference between them at all once installed. The HXT 900 is a decent, inexpensive servo that provides very good bang for the buck. The TG9e is very close to the same; some have argued that it IS the same servo as the HXT900 (Which is a rebranded Tower Pro TG90) only less expensive driver board.

The TGY-50090M is a Metal Gear version of the TG90/HXT900; it is also analog and should be near indestructible in this application.

It isn't a mod; the heli uses standard 9gram-size servos, these are simply a different, better servo. You are just upgrading from a 99c servo to a $3-5 servo, with improved performance. Once you disassemble your servo cluster, you'll see what I'm talking about.

"Wind grade" is a bogus term; they're trying to suggest that you can fly this heli outdoors in the wind. I've flown mine set to high rates in approx 10mph wind; the rated 30m radio range makes that an iffy proposition at best. I found that when my tailrotor was overpowered by a gust my heli was quickly carried out of radio range; I chased after and killed the throttle in time to have it caught by a tree on the other end of the field.

Flying with a full-power TX like the Turnigy 9X/9XR will alleviate this particular issue; the stock TX provides approx 10mw out vs the Turnigy's 100mw.

mnem
We can make him better than he was...
Last edited by mnemennth; Jun 15, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined May 2013
102 Posts
Quote:
BetAsh -

Functionally, they're all very close to the same specs, so you may very well not be able to detect any difference between them at all once installed. The HXT 900 is a decent, inexpensive servo that provides very good bang for the buck. The TG9e is very close to the same; some have argued that it IS the same servo as the HXT900 (Which is a rebranded Tower Pro TG90) only less expensive driver board.

The TGY-50090M is a Metal Gear version of the TG90/HXT900; it is also analog and should be near indestructible in this application.

It isn't a mod; the heli uses standard 9gram-size servos, these are simply a different, better servo. You are just upgrading from a 99c servo to a $3-5 servo, with improved performance. Once you disassemble your servo cluster, you'll see what I'm talking about.

"Wind grade" is a bogus term; they're trying to suggest that you can fly this heli outdoors in the wind. I've flown mine set to high rates in approx 10mph wind; the rated 30m radio range makes that an iffy proposition at best. I found that when my tailrotor was overpowered by a gust my heli was quickly carried out of radio range; I chased after and killed the throttle in time to have it caught by a tree on the other end of the field.

Flying with a full-power TX like the Turnigy 9X/9XR will alleviate this particular issue; the stock TX provides approx 10mw out vs the Turnigy's 100mw.

mnem
Thank you. I noticed the TG9e and HXT900 are back in stock as of yesterday.
When you have a chance can you take a look at the questions in one of my posts above?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:33 AM
V912 <3
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
BetAsh -

mnem
Hello all, just signed up after exhibiting this same problem today and wondered what exactly was causing my radio to all of a sudden carry out of range.

I'm an absolute novice beginner to this and the V913 is my first heli after having 2 v911s. I also have a Thunder Tiger Raptor 30 gas heli that i once purchased and never finished assembling a chopper that was 85% pre built if you could believe that! After getting my feet wet with the WL Toys, I never been more enthusiatic about flying as i am now.

Anywho, is replacing my tx the only solution for this phenomenom of wind gust causing the tail rotor to carry out of range? Is this a common problem with this model? I flew it earlier today and experienced this numerous times

I'm also going to upgrade my servos thanks to this discussion.
GinoDotCom is offline Find More Posts by GinoDotCom