HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:25 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apha01 View Post
Cannot find on ebay power backup charger (on first pic) for $30.
eletoponline365 and digitalele889 dont have this one
Look around... ANY standard external USB power supply will work with the camera, assuming it can deliver at least .5A at 5V reliably (1A would be better).
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:28 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I almost bought that mount last night but decided I would just make one with a 1/4-20 bolt sticking up and attach a mini ballhead to it. But that was because I was thinking of using a heavier camera, for the Mobius I should probably order a couple of this mount. Anything with a 1/4-20 standard camera thread will attach to the Mobius camera. All my #16 cameras have been adapted to 1/4-20 and it was the first thing I bought for my GoPro years ago. Size and weight are the only reasons why a 1/4-20 mount might not work.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
OK, I just put up FW v0.34 which restores the original AOV and unique 60 fps video. I also posted a Revision history file which I will keep update as new FW rolls out.
I don't think people were upset because of the AOV but because of the frame doubling.
Could you ask the developer to add wideangle 720p as in FW 0.32 but with true 60fps?
lensman82 is offline Find More Posts by lensman82
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:45 PM
Camera Reseller.
Joined May 2013
344 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, the helmet mount you linked that reportedly has a bolt that is "too small" to work with the Mobius mount seems to be a "Marketing 101" tactic (i.e. never admit your product will work with a competing device when you want a buyer to purchase your competing device). I happen to have the mount you linked, which shows it with the #26 camera mounted. Compare that photo with the one I attached below. Hmmm.... seems to work just fine. But having said that, I suspect the Mobius developer will have a helmet adapter as well as the ones currently offered.

Also, I'd be interested in what you find deficient about the Mobius handlebar mount that prompts you to look elsewhere? I've used the Mobius handlebar mount on my off-road bike and it seems to work just fine, though I'm no aerial daredevil, just a laid-back trail rider!
Hey,
I have tested the handlebar mount and it's fine - like Tom I'm now aerial daredevil however I have a friend who's a professional BMXer and a Mobius Action Camera is on it's way to him for him to test out - so give it a few weeks and I can post the footage of what he gets up to. From what I can tell the handlebar mount is fine - I had virtually no shake and great quality. And for how cheap it is, it really is hard to fault.
JooVuu is offline Find More Posts by JooVuu
Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensman82 View Post
I don't think people were upset because of the AOV but because of the frame doubling.
Could you ask the developer to add wideangle 720p as in FW 0.32 but with true 60fps?
I don't even know if the hardware can do that (and probably why the glitch in v0.32 FW only output frame doubled 60 fps. The developer reads this thread so I don't have to pass on user requests. I already mentioned the possibility of a wider angle lens that when output at 720-60fps mode will give an AOV within about 10 deg.(my estimate) of the 1080 AOV. That seems like a much easier and more versatile solution to also satisfy those who want an even wider AOV.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JooVuu View Post
Hey,
I have tested the handlebar mount and it's fine - like Tom I'm now aerial daredevil however I have a friend who's a professional BMXer and a Mobius Action Camera is on it's way to him for him to test out - so give it a few weeks and I can post the footage of what he gets up to. From what I can tell the handlebar mount is fine - I had virtually no shake and great quality. And for how cheap it is, it really is hard to fault.
My camera mount got jolted quite a bit in some of the rough pavement I rode over, so I had to make sure the articulating ball was tightened very securely, but then my el cheapo trail bike does not have any shock absorbers, so that might have been more of a G-shock test than a lot of jumping aerial stuff with shocks?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:01 PM
Camera Reseller.
Joined May 2013
344 Posts
Quote:
My camera mount got jolted quite a bit in some of the rough pavement I rode over, so I had to make sure the articulating ball was tightened very securely, but then my el cheapo trail bike does not have any shock absorbers, so that might have been more of a G-shock test than a lot of jumping aerial stuff with shocks?
Ahhh, I had no problems, granted after going up curbs there was a bit of jolt but nothing unbearable. I'll post some footage of me riding around on a normal bike in a few days. I'm interested to see how my friends footage from the BMX turns out. His bike is top of the range so it will have all the mod-cons etc so should hopefully should get footage and if the bike mount and camera can survive what he's gonna put it through, it can survive anything.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:09 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Problem has been solved. If you have placed an order with us please contact me at info@joovuu.com and we will refund you your shipping costs.
Just Rx'd refund, gudonya
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
So when av-out cable is plugged in the cam won't shutdown even if the sd card is full? Since that would mean loss of fpv plane.
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Billericay
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
So, where can I buy a pack of a dozen or so replacement rubber lens covers?

(took even less time than I was expecting to lose it)
Otherwayup is offline Find More Posts by Otherwayup
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:55 PM
France, Pays de la Loire, Nantes
Joined Sep 2010
174 Posts
Hello,

According to my calculations, this is the size of the mobius videos.

Someone can confirm?
alex_007 is offline Find More Posts by alex_007
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, the helmet mount you linked that reportedly has a bolt that is "too small" to work with the Mobius mount seems to be a "Marketing 101" tactic (i.e. never admit your product will work with a competing device when you want a buyer to purchase your competing device). I happen to have the mount you linked, which shows it with the #26 camera mounted. Compare that photo with the one I attached below. Hmmm.... seems to work just fine. But having said that, I suspect the Mobius developer will have a helmet adapter as well as the ones currently offered.

Also, I'd be interested in what you find deficient about the Mobius handlebar mount that prompts you to look elsewhere? I've used the Mobius handlebar mount on my off-road bike and it seems to work just fine, though I'm no aerial daredevil, just a laid-back trail rider!
That is awesome, Tom. Thanks for the pic! Going to place the order right now. Don't know why the seller said that... Is it really well secured?

As I said before "it looks cheap and fragile", BUT I don't have it so I'm not sure. I need to have one handlebar mount and if I need to spend some $, I should go with the one that *looks* better, right? I'm seeing lots of people complaining about bad mounters on the SJ1000, so I don't want to complain about the ones for the Mobius as well. A good camera deserves a good mount. Again: I'm not saying the one currently being sold is not!

Anyway, could you please tell me from which seller you got that mount? Just to make sure it fits.
The same sellers seems to have the same item with two different names and price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Helmet-fixed...item3cd212715a
and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universa...item3cd1da035c

Strange... Can you tell me, please, which one did you get?
PedroDank is offline Find More Posts by PedroDank
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherwayup View Post
So, where can I buy a pack of a dozen or so replacement rubber lens covers?

(took even less time than I was expecting to lose it)
Did you read post #2 like the thread title says?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_007 View Post
Hello,

Someone can confirm?
I don't understand the GO and MO terminology in your charts.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand the GO and MO terminology in your charts.
GO = GB and MO = MB. Don't really understand why people often use this terminology, though.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
That is awesome, Tom. Thanks for the pic! Going to place the order right now. Don't know why the seller said that... Is it really well secured?

As I said before "it looks cheap and fragile", BUT I don't have it so I'm not sure. I need to have one handlebar mount and if I need to spend some $, I should go with the one that *looks* better, right? I'm seeing lots of people complaining about bad mounters on the SJ1000, so I don't want to complain about the ones for the Mobius as well. A good camera deserves a good mount. Again: I'm not saying the one currently being sold is not!

Anyway, could you please tell me from which seller you got that mount? Just to make sure it fits.
The same sellers seems to have the same item with two different names and price:
and

I didn't buy the mount... it was sent to me by my contact with the developer.

I don't think the mount is fragile nor does it look that way to me. What does cheap look like. I don't get that impression looking at the photos or holding it in my hand. The other mount you linked DID look fragile and "spindley"!.

Remember the sellers you link sell the #26 camera, which also does 1080p 30 fps as well as 720-60 fps. So that's why they probably told you their mount screw is "too small"... so you might buy their camera instead. Also remember the GoPro is a much heavier camera than either the #26 or the Mobius, so they NEED to be heftier. But for my use (mostly RC aerial video), heftier is not an advantage... it's a liability. That said, the bike mount for the Mobius is "heftier" than the one for the #26, but both will probably suffice for the small size and weight of the camera.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Hm, that could be the reason why, yes.
Anyway, if you have that, they must be the same. There should be no differences between the two items I've linked.

I said "sellers" isntead of seller on my previous post. I meant that the same seller sells the same item under different names... Maybe they are really different? Anyway, will tell the seller too look closely... And I'm going to order it.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Jun 2013
341 Posts
I am wanting to use this a a car cam as well as many other uses. If I have this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 can I power it and record while powered by the car adapter only?

I have been waiting for the new rc eye one extreme and this camera might be a good alternative depending on what they offer and charge for a camera.
Buckaroo Banzai is offline Find More Posts by Buckaroo Banzai
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:53 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
Quote:
GO = GB and MO = MB. Don't really understand why people often use this terminology, though.
O = Octet
(used in French, and probably other languages, for Byte which is, as you know, an octet of bits)
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:55 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Try this for helmet mount

http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-DDWING-.../dp/B008BNEXH4

I've seen it for less so shop around, no idea what to get for handle bar mount, but I bet there are devices from a few dollars to several tens of dollars depending on build material.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:25 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,381 Posts
Depending on how much you might exert yourself, this "thrifty" mount works very well when I'm mountain biking.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
O = Octet
(used in French, and probably other languages, for Byte which is, as you know, an octet of bits)
Didn't know it was French. Got it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
Try this for helmet mount

http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-DDWING-.../dp/B008BNEXH4

I've seen it for less so shop around, no idea what to get for handle bar mount, but I bet there are devices from a few dollars to several tens of dollars depending on build material.
That one looks good. Can't find it cheaper at eBay, though, and I'm from Portugal, so shipping from amazon (when orders < 25$) is a bit expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Depending on how much you might exert yourself, this "thrifty" mount works very well when I'm mountain biking.
I'm sorry but I did not understand what mount you're using... Thanks for sharing, though.

_________

I think I'm going with the one Tom has. It looks ok to me...

EDIT: Tom, I would like to view some of your videos when mountain biking. Tired of waiting for MTB videos already eheh
Last edited by PedroDank; Jun 30, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:08 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,654 Posts
Quote:

I'm sorry but I did not understand what mount you're using... Thanks for sharing, though.

his mount is plain velcro...
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:19 PM
Official Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
426 Posts
Quote:
...Anyway, could you please tell me from which seller you got that mount? Just to make sure it fits.
and

Did you notice the first one includes a cradle for the #26 camera and the second one (New-Universal...) does not ?
That is probably why the second one is a little less expensive.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Old Jul 01, 2013, 02:57 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
I am wanting to use this a a car cam as well as many other uses. If I have this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 can I power it and record while powered by the car adapter only?
Yes, please see posts 1 to 4, and post 7.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Jul 01, 2013, 03:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

Someone can confirm?
Your 1080p calculations sound pretty reasonable. I have not tested 720p.

As far as 1080p is concerned, a 32GB card will hold just over 4hours 30 minutes. I tested this a few times and never had less recording time but this could vary with different cards and under different lighting conditions. I used standard settings with a Kingston card.

Based on that value, you can most likely expect at least the following recording times:
32GB Card = 4 hours 30 mins.
16GB Card = 2 hours 15 mins.
8GB Card = 1 hour 7 mins.
4GB Card = 33 mins.
2GB Card = 16 mins.

These values will most likely vary by a few minutes but should offer a good guide.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jul 01, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:

I have been waiting for the new rc eye one extreme and this camera might be a good alternative depending on what they offer and charge for a camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
Yes, please see posts 1 to 4, and post 7.
A bit of additional information: Some ignition systems supply current as soon as the ignition key is turned or the ignition button is pressed, then turn it off for a second or two and then turn it back on again.
Or, you may connect the USB plug and then remove it, and then, a second or two later, insert the plug again. The Mobius fully supports these short disconnect times and will start recording, using it's internal battery, as soon as it's first connected. On the second (or third etc.) connection, the Mobius will use the USB external power to continue recording and at the same time recharge the internal battery. The Mobius will stop recording after a few seconds after external power has been removed. This functionality assumes the camera has been configured with auto-power-on.

You can use any standard USB car charger. The one sold by the sellers noted in post #2 are cheaper than the one in your link, but only has one USB socket.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerphjuan View Post
what are the odds of a v959 carrying this payload and performing well enough to get some decent video?
First things first. Remember the Mobius is 5 times heavier than the V959 camera (8g versus 40g), so don't expect great flying results.

The V959 will lift the Mobius with it's casing, battery and card inserted.
I don't know how long it will fly with all the extra weight, but don't expect very long. Also, you'll have to find a method of mounting the Mobius.because the top inside of the skid is too narrow. It's most probably best to remove the skid altogether.

To save weight, I would definitely replace the internal battery with a smaller one, for example the smallest #16 battery (402030). If you remove the case, you'll have to find a solution to attach the heatsink to the processor.

In general, I would think the Mobius is too heavy for micro aircraft.
Last edited by Isoprop; Jul 01, 2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: An original sentence was ambiguous!
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, Billericay
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Did you read post #2 like the thread title says?
It wasn't quite rhetorical, but perhaps I should have left the question mark off. That or searched harded for a tongue-in-cheek emoticon.

Top marks by the way for sorting the 720 AOV issue so quickly. Ta.
Otherwayup is offline Find More Posts by Otherwayup
Old Jul 01, 2013, 05:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
49 Posts
focal length

Hi
someone can tell me the focal length of the Mobius lens?
Thanks
free.sky is offline Find More Posts by free.sky
Old Jul 01, 2013, 07:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by free.sky View Post
Hi
someone can tell me the focal length of the Mobius lens?
Thanks
I have no idea, but due to the AOV I would guess around 2-4mm.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Jul 01, 2013, 07:29 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,991 Posts
Quote:
O = Octet
but Octet is 'owned' by musicians ... Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jul 01, 2013, 10:33 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

Someone can confirm?
The Video Quality setting will have the greatest impact on the file size for a given frame size and frame rate. E.g., if it's set on "High" in the GUI for the 1080p - 30fps video mode, the average data rate in my brief testing is about 18,000 kbps. If it's set to "Low", the data rate drops to about 12,000 kbps. That equates to nominally one hour for the High setting on an 8GB memory card, and about 1-1/2 hours for the Low setting. The amount of detail and motion in a scene will cause the data rate (and hence file size and recording time) to fluctuate slightly as well.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 01, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 01:32 PM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
O = Octet
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
but Octet is 'owned' by musicians ... Mike
I'll remember that next time I'm assigning you an IP address... shall I assign you one based on the pentatonic scale instead? The numbers will be la belle magifique; but I doubt you'll be able to get out to G∞gle.

Now back on topic...

Does the new firmware restore the original narrower, "less fisheye distortion" AOV when recording in 720P/60FPS mode? I'm personally more interested in that than 1080P mode with that much fisheye. Plus, 60FPS will greatly reduce the jello I experience with my V959 anyways.

isoprop, I am working on an alternate power system for use with my V959. We'll see how it works out and update here.

I wonder how much my V202 can lift...

mnem
Come on, payday; I need you here YESTERDAY... *tick tock*
mnemennth is online now Find More Posts by mnemennth
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Jun 2013
5 Posts
Please Frank, dont kill me! I must know is that right way for buy external charger for Mobius. 45-50$ is too much for me for Just Mobile Gum Pro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30000mAh-Dua...ht_2052wt_1162
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4400mAh-USB-...ht_1669wt_1400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-5000mAh-M...ht_5847wt_1162
Apha01 is offline Find More Posts by Apha01
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apha01 View Post
Please Frank, dont kill me! I must know is that right way for buy external charger for Mobius. 45-50$ is too much for me for Just Mobile Gum Pro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30000mAh-Dua...ht_2052wt_1162
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4400mAh-USB-...ht_1669wt_1400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-5000mAh-M...ht_5847wt_1162
ANY standard USB power supply (nominal 5V OUTPUT) that has the mini-USB plug and outputs at least 0.5A or more will work. ALL of those you show can do this as will many dozens more. This is about the THIRD time this has been asked and answered in this thread, plus it's also stated in Post #7. If you don't understand the details of a power supply rating, do some self study...google is your friend.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 01, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined Jun 2013
26 Posts
Would anyone know how much battery draw theres likely to be, when its in motion activation mode, but not activated?

Im hoping the battery will last 12-13 hours when its set up to take one photo every 5 seconds, in combination with motion activation (activated 5-10% of those 12-13 hours).

Am I correct in believing, from the following quote, that it will be drawing 300mA, which is only 20-25% less power - so doesn't sound promising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Technical
When the camera is turned off, the RTC and processor draw about 15μA.
When the camera is turned on, but in standby mode, the camera consumes about 300mA.
When the camera is recording, the camera draws between 350mA and 400mA.
In order to protect the battery, the camera will stop recording and turn off when the voltage falls below approx. 3.5V.

The above figures are not definite, but serve as a guide.
Glendale is offline Find More Posts by Glendale
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemennth View Post
I'll remember that next time I'm assigning you an IP address... shall I assign you one based on the pentatonic scale instead? The numbers will be la belle magifique; but I doubt you'll be able to get out to G∞gle.

Now back on topic...

Does the new firmware restore the original narrower, "less fisheye distortion" AOV when recording in 720P/60FPS mode? I'm personally more interested in that than 1080P mode with that much fisheye.
What new firmware? Did you read about new FW here?
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Jun 2013
341 Posts
Quote:
A bit of additional information: Some ignition systems supply current as soon as the ignition key is turned or the ignition button is pressed, then turn it off for a second or two and then turn it back on again.
Or, you may connect the USB plug and then remove it, and then, a second or two later, insert the plug again. The Mobius fully supports these short disconnect times and will start recording, using it's internal battery, as soon as it's first connected. On the second (or third etc.) connection, the Mobius will use the USB external power to continue recording and at the same time recharge the internal battery. The Mobius will stop recording after a few seconds after external power has been removed. This functionality assumes the camera has been configured with auto-power-on.

You can use any standard USB car charger. The one sold by the sellers noted in post #2 are cheaper than the one in your link, but only has one USB socket.
Good to know I am burning it into my memory. Thank You. "will start recording, using it's internal battery, as soon as it's first connected." "On the second (or third etc.) connection, the Mobius will use the USB external power to continue recording and at the same time recharge the internal battery"

I assume I must have "Auto Power on Record" set to on, yes?
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:45 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemennth View Post
...Does the new firmware restore the original narrower, "less fisheye distortion" AOV when recording in 720P/60FPS mode? I'm personally more interested in that than 1080P mode with that much fisheye...
Yes, new firmware v0.34 available at the bottom of post #3 restored the narrow AOV when recording at 720p, either at 30fps or 60fps.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Good to know I am burning it into my memory. Thank You. "will start recording, using it's internal battery, as soon as it's first connected." "On the second (or third etc.) connection, the Mobius will use the USB external power to continue recording and at the same time recharge the internal battery"

I assume I must have "Auto Power on Record" set to on, yes?
You may be interpreting too literally what Isoprop said. For car use, IF you want the camera to auto-start recording when external power is applied, just set that option in the camera config (preferably using the GUI or optionally manually) and plug it into your car power socket. If your power socket is always on with the ignition off, like mine is, it will start recording immediately! So you will need to unplug it when you leave the car if you don't want it to continue recording.. If the power socket is only energized when the ignition switch is moved off the full off position and energized when the key is turned to the first "accessories" position, the camera will start. But if the power to the socket is momentarily interrupted as the motor is being cranked to start it as some cars do, the camera should tolerate that and keep operating. You shouldn't have to worry about "first, second, or third connections" during the operation of the camera. Then in that case when you turn off the ignition and kill power to the car accessory socket, the camera will record for about 10 sec. more (as I recall), then it will shut off until the next power on cycle.

Clear?
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
Yes, new firmware v0.34 available at the bottom of post #3 restored the narrow AOV when recording at 720p, either at 30fps or 60fps.
I didn't answer this question (assuming it was in regard to v0.34 FW) because I was curious how the poster became aware of the new FW. If he read about here in this post when I announced it, the question was answered right in that post. If it was found by scanning Post #3, I previously attached with the FW a Revision History text file that also explains the change (I will keep the history up to date as well). If the new FW was found using the GUI program's auto updater routine, there should have been the text that explains the FW revisions displayed in the GUI when the FW is downloaded. I say should, because I forgot to add it to the attachment notes, so there was no explanation via that method! That's now been fixed, but I just wanted to see if the other places that answered the question had been overlooked.

For those not yet knowing, the FW also fixed the frame-doubled 60 fps bug that crept in with the AOV anomaly, so now each frame is unique as it was a couple FW revisions ago.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 01, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,106 Posts
Quote:
First things first. Remember the Mobius is 5 times heavier than the V959 camera (8g versus 40g), so don't expect great flying results.

I don't know how long it will fly with all the extra weight, but don't expect very long. Also, you'll have to find a method of mounting the Mobius.because the top inside of the skid is too narrow. It's most probably best to remove the skid altogether.

To save weight, I would definitely replace the internal battery with a smaller one, for example the smallest #16 battery (402030). If you remove the case, you'll have to find a solution to attach the heatsink to the processor.

Once I get my backup Mobius back I plan on mounting it to either my V212 and/or the new larger V262 platform (runs on 2S). I'm convinced that once stripped and using a smaller battery as Isoprop suggests it will handle it.

To give you an idea. This is my V212 carrying a stripped 808, video out cable (stripped) with a 200mw TX, and powering each with an 808 battery. Total weight is 101 grams RTF (85 grams without main battery). 5 minutes flight time with power to spare:

First V212 FPV flight (5 min 3 sec)
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 01, 2013, 11:20 PM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
1,020 Posts
Quote:
What new firmware? Did you read about new FW here?
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't answer this question (assuming it was in regard to v0.34 FW) because I was curious how the poster became aware of the new FW. If he read about here in this post when I announced it, the question was answered right in that post. If it was found by scanning Post #3, I previously attached with the FW a Revision History text file that also explains the change (I will keep the history up to date as well). If the new FW was found using the GUI program's auto updater routine, there should have been the text that explains the FW revisions displayed in the GUI when the FW is downloaded. I say should, because I forgot to add it to the attachment notes, so there was no explanation via that method! That's now been fixed, but I just wanted to see if the other places that answered the question had been overlooked.

For those not yet knowing, the FW also fixed the frame-doubled 60 fps bug that crept in with the AOV anomaly, so now each frame is unique as it was a couple FW revisions ago.
Tom -

I knew about the Frame-double/AOV issue from a few pages back; then later I saw someone saying thanks for "sorting it so quickly"; I was not sure if the AOV issue was sorted in the fashion I had hoped; or if it had been sorted by informing users about new "undocumented features" in the product.

I certainly could have looked at the "FAQ" pages again I imagine; but I have read them like a dozen times already and honestly it slipped my mind in the midst of 2 small children and about 16 other things I'm trying to get knocked out before they knock me out to yank 2 teeth tomorrow afternoon.

Also, I'm an American consumer, which means I WANT IT NOW, DAMMIT! And I'm allergic to anything that resembles STUDYING.

Thanks for taking the time both of you. I'll try and remember to look again in the FAQ areas before asking questions in the future.

mnem
*Kicks payday in the knee for not being here yet*
mnemennth is online now Find More Posts by mnemennth
Old Jul 02, 2013, 04:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
So you mean that I have the same AOV at 720p and 1080p?
Thanks
free.sky is offline Find More Posts by free.sky
Old Jul 02, 2013, 04:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by free.sky View Post
So you mean that I have the same AOV at 720p and 1080p?
Thanks
No, the AOVs with FW 0.34 are as stated in post 2.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 08:25 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Any info or user data on using wide dynamic range? By default its off. If im reading right it helps with wide fluctuations in lighting. This describes aerial footage to a T as the light is constantly changing......

Lastly, I have an apple wall charger that accepts a usb plug. Am I correct in assuming that theres an internal regulator that limits charging to 140ma? The plug says its putting out a constant 5v at 2amps. The 2 amps is way too high for a 500mah 1 cell lipo. If theres an internal regulator Im golden.....

I have to say after reading through all this info and seeing this in person its a LOT of camera for the price. Its size, weight, and 1/3 cost of the GoPro are very appealing!
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Last edited by hidaven; Jul 02, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 08:41 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Any info or user data on using wide dynamic range? By default its off. If im reading right it helps with wide fluctuations in lighting. This describes aerial footage to a T as the light is constantly changing......
There's no info other than how to turn it on/off in the config file and GUI (post #3). There's also no good video showing how much good this actually does. In my ground shots, I haven't seen any significant difference, but have not yet shot any AV with it yet. I have been told by the developer that it can also increase the video noise, something that normally happens with a simple boost of the CMOS gain. I don't know if this is what it's doing, or exactly how it functions. E.g., if it's a gain boost for low light conditions, when toggled on is it always active, affecting the entire video display, or does it do its thing when the average light level reaches some minimum level or only in the area of CMOS array where it can provide some benefit. And does it also affect the upper end (bright light)?

When I get some time, I'll try to do some side-by-side video with two Mobius cameras shooting the same scene, one with WDR on and the other off. That's the only way to tell definitively what it does.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 08:52 AM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
There's no info other than how to turn it on/off in the config file and GUI (post #3). There's also no good video showing how much good this actually does. In my ground shots, I haven't seen any significant difference, but have not yet shot any AV with it yet. I have been told by the developer that it can also increase the video noise, something that normally happens with a simple boost of the CMOS gain. I don't know if this is what it's doing, or exactly how it functions. E.g., if it's a gain boost for low light conditions, when toggled on is it always active, affecting the entire video display, or does it do its thing when the average light level reaches some minimum level or only in the area of CMOS array where it can provide some benefit. And does it also affect the upper end (bright light)?

When I get some time, I'll try to do some side-by-side video with two Mobius cameras shooting the same scene, one with WDR on and the other off. That's the only way to tell definitively what it does.
That would be great, Tom. Also great: two videos comparing 720p @ 60 fps and 1080p Raw samples, if possible. I'll try my best to share some when I get mine.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:06 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
That would be great, Tom. Also great: two videos comparing 720p @ 60 fps and 1080p Raw samples, if possible. I'll try my best to share some when I get mine.
Yes, that's on my "to do" list, too, but with overcast rainy weather the last several day with more to come, it's not likely to happen for a while.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:12 AM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that's on my "to do" list, too, but with overcast rainy weather the last several day with more to come, it's not likely to happen for a while.
Ok, thanks! Hope the weather clears out soon then.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:24 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Webbex (U.K.) added as new verified seller

At the developer's request, I have added Webbex (U.K.) to the list of Verified Mobius sellers in post #2.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 11:30 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
4,425 Posts
Quote:

The mobius FPV plateform will probably be the upcoming V262
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Old Jul 02, 2013, 11:50 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
700 Posts
I had major problem getting rid of jello with the #16 on a quadcopter, after some weeks of experimenting I mounted the cam onto a lead-weighted ply plate, a set of 4 foam ear plugs trimmed to 1/2 thickness attached that plate to another which was attached to balsa beam by another 2 ear plugs.
This was with laser pointer balanced props!

Can anyone tell me if this issue is less or absent with the Mobius Cam and post a short vid from a medium sized quadcopter?
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
Received my Mobius today from China - first impressions, the camera itself is very nicely made and video quality at 1080p is excellent. However there is a lot of noise at 720p especially with WDR switched on. I've also already managed to break the mount - I tried to slide the camera into the mount with the supplied velcro on the back of the camera. It doesn't fit, and it broke one of the lugs on the mount which locates in the groove on the Mobius. Bit confused as to how you're supposed to use velcro now - the only place you can put it is on the bottom, but then the camera doesn't fit in the mount so you have to decide which option you want to use. Pity, I want velcro mounting on some occasions and tripod on others!

Cheers,
Tim
tj80 is offline Find More Posts by tj80
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Does the supplier or anyone else have a video out cable yet? Also, what cable do I need to connect the camera to my galaxy 4 android phone? I have a USB micro connector on my phone.....
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
That was fast. I assume you ordered it the day it came out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj80 View Post
Received my Mobius today from China
dshmel is offline Find More Posts by dshmel
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshmel View Post
That was fast. I assume you ordered it the day it came out ?
Yep, believe I was the third person to order from eletoponline. Big step up from the #3 I've had for years but the whole mounting thing has me scratching my head to be honest!

Quote:
Does the supplier or anyone else have a video out cable yet?
Mine came with one as a free gift from eletoponline, so they definitely have them.

Cheers,
Tim
Old Jul 02, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Does the supplier or anyone else have a video out cable yet?
Yes, they do, or you can make your own from a Mini USB OTG cable, see here and here (but don't trust wire colours, they do vary).

Quote:
Also, what cable do I need to connect the camera to my galaxy 4 android phone? I have a USB micro connector on my phone.....
A Micro USB OTG cable, see Post 8.
Last edited by airmob; Jul 02, 2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: add extra link
Old Jul 02, 2013, 01:22 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,642 Posts
Quote:
Yep, believe I was the third person to order from eletoponline.
I was no. 1 but no camera yet

Which country are you in?
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jul 02, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
I was no. 1 but no camera yet

Which country are you in?
About 20 miles from you! Surrey. Fingers crossed you'll get yours tomorrow!
Old Jul 02, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined May 2012
178 Posts
A tracking code is provided, which should give a hint about the whereabouts of the shipment. But sometimes the tracking information is not very accurate. Mine was updated 5 days ago in China... (Where it still might be, but hopefully not.)
Fintastic is offline Find More Posts by Fintastic
Last edited by Fintastic; Jul 02, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
And mine is still in China...
Old Jul 02, 2013, 03:01 PM
Camera Reseller.
Joined May 2013
344 Posts
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that www.JooVuu.com now has free shipping on the Mobius and has all the accessories in stock. As we are based in the UK/EU we can ship to Europe & America in about 3-5 business days.

The accessories we have are:
- Bike mount
- Helmet mount (3rd party at the moment)
- Car mount
- Mini tripod
- Car charger
- TV/AV out cable

We also have 16gb and 32gb microSD cards in stock. We have plenty of Mobius's in stock as well as accessories. To get the free shipping use the code:

freemobiusshipping

Any questions or feedback on the website/prices please let us know at info@joovuu.com or leave product reviews at www.JooVuu.com.

Thank you for your time,

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Dan
Old Jul 02, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
A test of the Mobius Action Cam on 1080p in low lighting and Wide Dynamic Range turned on (and normal bitrate):

Mobius 1080p test - WDR on (0 min 22 sec)

and WDR turned off (and higher bitrate turned on, still being smoothed when this has been posted):

Mobius 1080p test - WDR off (0 min 20 sec)

(smooth movement accomplished by using Youtube's smoothing).

Sample images:
http://imgur.com/a/9ER9u

Raw movie clips:
https://mega.co.nz/#!9h41SYrK!SnYIUE...6R_rjgnvb9K53g
https://mega.co.nz/#!J4hXGRbK!XYK76W...8sjyd9pJTVrPyM

Firmware 0.34

Overall, I'm really impressed! The only thing bugging me is that after recording, the camera seems unresponsive for a moment, but other than that, everything's ok!
acrobot is offline Find More Posts by acrobot
Old Jul 02, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined May 2011
382 Posts
Thanks a lot for raw files!
RocketMouse is offline Find More Posts by RocketMouse
Old Jul 02, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Issues:

1. the skin tone is on the orange side and the sky is artificial blue any ideas about a working correction?

2. The video in 1080P is fine if your not moving the camera but terrible when panning. Im using a sandisk 16gb class 4 card. Playing back on a windows 7 I7 11GB ram computer with a 300.00 video card. Im noticing some dropped frames as well......720P at 60FPS looks better but in no way comparable to my go pro.....Hoping this is addressed. Check out the video and disregard the comments as I was not in 720P 60 fps mode.

REC 0002 (1 min 16 sec)
Old Jul 02, 2013, 04:25 PM
ma:re
Joined Nov 2012
77 Posts
Maybe I got that wrong , but arent we are talking about a new released key chain cam for under 69usd shipped and not a new gopro for over 400 usd?

For 68usd and under 50grams it looks pretty damn good to me...
mare22 is offline Find More Posts by mare22
Old Jul 02, 2013, 04:32 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
Quote:
Issues:

1. the skin tone is on the orange side and the sky is artificial blue any ideas about a working correction?

2. The video in 1080P is fine if your not moving the camera but terrible when panning. Im using a sandisk 16gb class 4 card. Playing back on a windows 7 I7 11GB ram computer with a 300.00 video card. Im noticing some dropped frames as well......720P at 60FPS looks better but in no way comparable to my go pro.....Hoping this is addressed. Check out the video and disregard the comments as I was not in 720P 60 fps mode. ...
Update to the latest 0.34 firmware. Then do a another test video. re video cable - at eBay search for "mobius actioncam cable". USB pinout is shown in post #7.
Normandy5 is offline Find More Posts by Normandy5
Old Jul 02, 2013, 04:36 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobot View Post
A test of the Mobius Action Cam on 1080p in low lighting and Wide Dynamic Range turned on (and normal bitrate):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-rW8mdZZUA

and WDR turned off (and higher bitrate turned on, still being smoothed when this has been posted):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgF9kXyLlW4

Sample images:

Raw movie clips:

Firmware 0.34

Overall, I'm really impressed! The only thing bugging me is that after recording, the camera seems unresponsive for a moment, but other than that, everything's ok!
I was hoping for better resolution in the distance. Back ground trees seem blurry.
This is touted as a Ariel cam I was hoping for better resolution at a distance as that is what Ariel video sees when your at a couple thousand feet.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 02, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I was hoping for better resolution in the distance. Back ground trees seem blurry.
This is touted as a Ariel cam I was hoping for better resolution at a distance as that is what Ariel video sees when your at a couple thousand feet.
I'd say that it's YouTube's fault - it all looks blurry when re-encoded. Try downloading raw files, they look a lot better (at least to me) than the YouTube samples.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
72 Posts
Quote:

Raw movie clips:
Thanks for the impressions and samples.
A few observations:

-"high" bitrate looks a lot cleaner
-videos look terrible on youtube compared to original. Even in 1080p
-dynamic range is limited compared to GoPro
-wdr seems more like a low contrast mode by pushing the shadows

I still wish there would be a super high 24p mode with an average of 22.000 kbps or more.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 05:23 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,863 Posts
I would love to see some flight videos from the Mobius. I am really interested in seeing the Field of View from the air. My camera is ordered.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Jul 02, 2013, 05:30 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
I would love to see some flight videos from the Mobius. I am really interested in seeing the Field of View from the air. My camera is ordered.
Me to as it is intended as an Ariel cam.
My flying friend ordered one to try as we have so many cams but are looking for better definition.
I almost pulled the trigger from the uk site but couldn't justify the the price.But if you need it now it would be a good deal.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 02, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that www.JooVuu.com now has free shipping on the Mobius and has all the accessories in stock. As we are based in the UK/EU we can ship to Europe & America in about 3-5 business days.

The accessories we have are:
- Bike mount
- Helmet mount (3rd party at the moment)
- Car mount
- Mini tripod
- Car charger
- TV/AV out cable

We also have 16gb and 32gb microSD cards in stock. We have plenty of Mobius's in stock as well as accessories. To get the free shipping use the code:

freemobiusshipping

Any questions or feedback on the website/prices please let us know at info@joovuu.com or leave product reviews at www.JooVuu.com.

Thank you for your time,

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Dan
I wish you success with your store, but I think it is enough... Tom has warned you more than twice.

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-rW8mdZZUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgF9kXyLlW4

Sample images:

Raw movie clips:

Firmware 0.34

Thanks for the raw samples.
They look good so far, although I was hoping this WDR would work as good as SJ1000... However, with this fw, it doesnt seem to do so...
Old Jul 02, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
The color is disappointing. The sky is artificially too blue and the skin tones are orange. Im a professional photographer so lets not go down the road of inexperience. This needs to be addressed. Also the lag and/ or smearing is not good at all in 1080P mode. 720 is pretty good but for anything except a mounted, fixed position 1080 is useless. No way will 1080 work on a rc craft unless your flying a quad hovering in a fixed position. My guess is that 1080P is what it is and we are not getting a true 30FPS as the lag/ jitter is bad. The color however needs to be adjusted via firmware ASAp as theres NO good reason for this. The color was much better with older designs so lets get this fixed in the next firmware please.
By the way Im located at www.davenphoto.com with over 60k in professional gear and glass. I know its 90.00 but I expect a bit more regarding the color. By the way, I did try the Mobius with a class 10 card with the same results.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Jun 2013
341 Posts
Quote:
You may be interpreting too literally what Isoprop said. For car use, IF you want the camera to auto-start recording when external power is applied, just set that option in the camera config (preferably using the GUI or optionally manually) and plug it into your car power socket. If your power socket is always on with the ignition off, like mine is, it will start recording immediately! So you will need to unplug it when you leave the car if you don't want it to continue recording.. If the power socket is only energized when the ignition switch is moved off the full off position and energized when the key is turned to the first "accessories" position, the camera will start. But if the power to the socket is momentarily interrupted as the motor is being cranked to start it as some cars do, the camera should tolerate that and keep operating. You shouldn't have to worry about "first, second, or third connections" during the operation of the camera. Then in that case when you turn off the ignition and kill power to the car accessory socket, the camera will record for about 10 sec. more (as I recall), then it will shut off until the next power on cycle.

Clear?
LOL I must have been . I am glad I shouldn't have to worry about first, second or third connections. I want to just power it from the car adapter and not the battery for dash cam use.
Thank You for clearing it up for me. I am "clear" now. BTW Thank You for your hard-work here as well.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Oct 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
In the video you say "this is 720p".
This means you're using old firmware. The newest firmware 0.34 should give a narrower FOV when using 720p.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 06:28 PM
Philippines, Central Visayas, Dumaguete City
Joined Nov 2011
76 Posts
Any chance of putting the Android application for download as well ? (the apk file for sideloading, at the user's risk of course ) The problem is that there are a lot of good chinese tablets around, which seem like they would be compatible, but not listed as compatible in google play because of their build.prop's (hence the apps don't show)... That would be nice at least for the testing purposes and increasing the compatibility list...
CemAygun is offline Find More Posts by CemAygun
Old Jul 02, 2013, 06:29 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,654 Posts
I'd like the option to keep the wide AOV in 720 mode....
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Jul 02, 2013, 06:46 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CemAygun View Post
Any chance of putting the Android application for download as well ? (the apk file for sideloading, at the user's risk of course ) The problem is that there are a lot of good chinese tablets around, which seem like they would be compatible, but not listed as compatible in google play because of their build.prop's (hence the apps don't show)... That would be nice at least for the testing purposes and increasing the compatibility list...
Discussing Android devices is OT here, but since you opened the door...
Android apps info is available in post #8.
Most people with low cost Chinese tablets supporting Host USB were able to install my Android apps from Play Store and run them successfully after sending me an email at therau2000@videotron.ca asking for help and assistance.

[EDIT]Link to detailed instructions can now be found in post #8 under section: IMPORTANT information about Android apps:
so there is no need to send me an email.
[/EDIT]
Last edited by therau2000; Jul 02, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
I'd like the option to keep the wide AOV in 720 mode....
So far it looks like it comes at the expense of real 60 fps mode, so there is a bit of a dilemma here. Probably downsampling the whole sensor area at 720p, instead of just reading a small portion of it takes it's toll.

Personally, being extremely distortion-intolerant, I prefer the cropping mode but like many other things, it boils down to one's priorities... I guess it would be nice to have this choice as an option, given that it is possible (would probably require different synchronous firmwares though, like AVI and MOV firmwares of #16). That would serve everyone well ...
Last edited by CemAygun; Jul 02, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
As stated I mis spoke. That clip is 1080P. My educated guess is that its not a true 30FPS. The blues and oranges are over saturated. Skin tones look like everyone is wearing tan in a bottle : ) Older cameras had better color, no need for bumping up the saturation in the blues and oranges. Im on the fence as to the increases over the 808 720P cam. I guess if your shooting 1080P on a tripod or stationary perspective its all good. panning in 1080P is not one of this cameras strong points. I can only imagine what it will look like on top of my xplorer 4000 glider : ( Don't get me wrong it's a step up in a lot of ways from the older cameras as far as user interface, design, increased battery, GUI, iris control is better, etc. But in absolute video quality Im wanting more. Im still seeing dropped frames as well. Lets hope a firmware update remedies some of this because if one were only using this camera in 720P 60FPS mode the older 808 is way too close in quality with better color correction and lighter weight. Just my opinions of course.......
Last edited by hidaven; Jul 02, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Discussing Android devices is OT here, but since you opened the door...
Android apps info is available in post #8.
Most people with low cost Chinese tablets supporting Host USB were able to install my Android apps from Play Store and run them successfully after sending me an email at therau2000@videotron.ca asking for help and assistance.
Thank you so much Therau2000, and I apologize for the OT post. I'll contact you through your e-mail.

I own a couple of those tablets which have good OTG support as far as I know (I can access or charge my cameras via OTG already), so it would be nice to have the apps on them as well
Last edited by CemAygun; Jul 02, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 07:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Received my Mobius today from China - first impressions, the camera itself is very nicely made and video quality at 1080p is excellent. However there is a lot of noise at 720p especially with WDR switched on. I've also already managed to break the mount - I tried to slide the camera into the mount with the supplied velcro on the back of the camera. It doesn't fit, and it broke one of the lugs on the mount which locates in the groove on the Mobius. Bit confused as to how you're supposed to use velcro now - the only place you can put it is on the bottom, but then the camera doesn't fit in the mount so you have to decide which option you want to use. Pity, I want velcro mounting on some occasions and tripod on others!

Cheers,
Tim
The mount is NOT designed to be used with Velcro on the bottom of the camera. What did you expect!!!!!!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 02, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 11:26 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Lastly, I have an apple wall charger that accepts a usb plug. Am I correct in assuming that theres an internal regulator that limits charging to 140ma? The plug says its putting out a constant 5v at 2amps. The 2 amps is way too high for a 500mah 1 cell lipo. If theres an internal regulator Im golden.....
You can use this wall charger with no problems. Internal regulator does the job. I'm loading my Mobius with my Apple wall charger as well...
divemarc is offline Find More Posts by divemarc
Old Jul 03, 2013, 12:12 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
@ Isoprop and others to probably confirm:

Using the great GUI, I found some litte things that confused me.

Regarding the recognition of the camerea: connecting the Mobius to an USB port of my laptop is enough to be shown and configured in ver 1.0.2.5 (as long as iTunes is not running). It works with the camera switched on as well.

Regarding the steps to update:
Step 2 - instead of the yellow LED the blue one starts to blink
Step 3 - In my case, the blue LED was blinking and finaly the yellow LED turned on
divemarc is offline Find More Posts by divemarc
Last edited by divemarc; Jul 03, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Jun 2012
137 Posts
Can I use my battery supply from my #16, you know the one that I bought from eletoponline365 black with led lights?
stevohaker is offline Find More Posts by stevohaker
Old Jul 03, 2013, 01:52 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Wide Dynamic Range is used to increase the range of brightness, from darkest to lightest, that the camera captures. The human eye can see detail in a range of brightnesses far in excess of what camera sensors can capture, or most digital files can represent.

WDR is only to be used in extremely contrasty scenes where the difference in brightness from the shadows to the highlights is great. The camera will try to compress the range of brightness to fit into the file's range (8 bit/ 16 bit etc). It works by setting exposure for the highlights and boosting shadow detail, hence increased noise is to be expected from the process.

It does not help with fluctuating exposures, and will harm the rendition of a low contrast scene.

Cheers.
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2013, 02:46 AM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
The mount is NOT designed to be used with Velcro on the bottom of the camera.
With all due respect, Tom, it's not obvious that the mount is not designed to be used with velcro attached to the camera. It looks as if there might be enough room (and indeed there almost is). Furthermore, I didn't use any more force trying to slide the camera in than usual - as you noted earlier, it is very tight anyway. The fact that I didn't force it suggests that the lugs in the mount may be a weak spot and that users should take care with it.

Quote:
What did you expect!!!!!!
If I expected it to break with such a small amount of force I wouldn't have tried...
Old Jul 03, 2013, 03:43 AM
Joined Sep 2009
430 Posts
Anyone shot ans stills yet at the highest resolution and have them somewhere that we can view them?

TIA
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
Old Jul 03, 2013, 03:52 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Is the blue-sky problem already addressed in the latest firmware or will we have to wait on the next firmware release? Thanks for answering!
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jul 03, 2013, 05:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
137 Posts
Can I use this as power supply?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/External-Pow...item256af1009a
stevohaker is offline Find More Posts by stevohaker
Old Jul 03, 2013, 05:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemarc View Post
@ Isoprop and others to probably confirm:

Using the great GUI, I found some litte things that confused me.

Regarding the recognition of the camerea: connecting the Mobius to an USB port of my laptop is enough to be shown and configured in ver 1.0.2.5 (as long as iTunes is not running). It works with the camera switched on as well.

Regarding the steps to update:
Step 2 - instead of the yellow LED the blue one starts to blink
Step 3 - In my case, the blue LED was blinking and finaly the yellow LED turned on
As you have found out, the Mobius can also be turned on before connecting to a PC, but it's easier to just plug it in while it's turned off! You don't need to press any buttons if you want to access the card, set parameters or upgrade the firmware. The process couldn't be easier.

The GUI uses standard Windows interrupts to detect when a device is connected or disconnected. Most likely iTunes redirects the interrupts so they never reach the GUI. If 3rd party programs grab interrupts and don't handle them correctly, them there's nothing the GUI can do. I certainly don't want to manually poll for disk changes every few seconds. That is not good programming practice .

The firmware instructions you posted are for the #16 and not for the Mobius! Are you sure you weren't updating a #16? The selected camera is identified by the VID and PID. The tabs should also have been in the Mobius' color and not in the #16 color. Anyway, I would appreciate it if you would do further testing and if you still find an issue with the firmware update text reply to me by PM or better by email. My email address can be found on the GUI download page which can be accessed by clicking on one of the images in post #6.
Old Jul 03, 2013, 05:14 AM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, I would appreciate it if you would do further testing and if you still find an issue with the firmware update text reply to me by PM or better by email.
For info, I updated the firmware on my Mobius yesterday using the GUI and it worked perfectly - instructions were spot on for me.

Cheers,
Tim
Old Jul 03, 2013, 05:24 AM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
For anyone who needs a new/additional mount or spare lens caps, email your approved vendor and ask if they can supply them. I have one of each on the way from eletoponline365 who I also bought the camera from, thoroughly recommended.

Cheers,
Tim
Old Jul 03, 2013, 05:28 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevohaker View Post
There are literally hundreds of external USB battery packs that can be used with the Mobius. Your link is to a battery pack sold by the official Mobius seller, so it will work for the Mobius as well as the #16.

However, it would be better to use a direct cable from the battery pack to the Mobius instead of using adapters. You can use any standard USB cable for this. The standard cable supplied with some Mobius packages will work perfectly.
Old Jul 03, 2013, 05:31 AM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Okay, so some more footage:

(Don't trust YouTube's quality, it's a lot better raw. Also, please forgive me my shaking hands, however I won't turn on the smoothing on YT this time, so the materials are as raw as possible)

1080p test - Low lighting, High bitrate, WDR on
1080p Mobius test - WDR on (0 min 25 sec)

1080p test - Low lighting, High bitrate, WDR off
1080p Mobius test - WDR off (0 min 25 sec)

Low quality test of the timelapse feature - a bit failed, uploaded in low quality just for quick preview
Mobius timelapse test (0 min 20 sec)

Raw footage:
https://mega.co.nz/#!1pwzRJ5B!CCtKVm...rGdJjtWgfYTquM
https://mega.co.nz/#!9tRHWC5T!Bzqhww...4ge0iJcwyQC3Ao

As for the updating of the camera's firmware, I found it pretty painless!
Last edited by acrobot; Jul 03, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2013, 05:34 AM
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
3,367 Posts
I recibed my Mobius today from JooVuu store, great service and fast shipping.

The camera quality is just amazing.
GhostMaster is online now Find More Posts by GhostMaster
Old Jul 03, 2013, 06:54 AM
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
The mount is NOT designed to be used with Velcro on the bottom of the camera. What did you expect!!!!!!
I actually have a need for Velcro use along with the standard mount as well. It's non-RC related though, and the camera cannot be in the mount for the application. Velcro is the only alternative.
SLI_Fallen is offline Find More Posts by SLI_Fallen