Closed Thread
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:03 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
No, the #16 video-out cable cannot work with the Mobius. Video-out was on pin 4 of the #16, but it's pin 2 on this one.
And to add to this, pin 4 MUST be grounded on the Mobius plug to turn on the video-out function.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Jul 2013
32 Posts
Got my Mobius today. Thanks Dan (JooVuu), great service.

I did run into few snags, for some reason or another, my laptop would not see my cam as a mass storage device, i was thus unable to get the GUI running neither.

A few minutes later, i tinkered with some drivers and all was well.

As another user has pointed out, my camera also has a small "beep" sound every second, if the background noise is low. Doesn't bother me one bit, though.

I have a video using the mobius as a dashcam, i hope it's ok if i post it here. The video in the clips is untouched (other than trimming and cross-fade). Original audio removed.

As many others have said before, youtube "demolishes" quality. This cam is amazing. A big thanks to who have made it possible.

P.s.: The camera DOES get hot (outside temps around 32 Celsius). I will remove the battery as soon as i get a small enough screwdriver and see if removing the battery improves temps.

Enjoy...

Mobius Action Camera as a dashcam (2 min 43 sec)
thundertm is offline Find More Posts by thundertm
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greiswig View Post
I didn't even know the camera was going to offer time lapse! Cool. In eager anticipation of my own camera's imminent arrival, I looked this up in the manual. It seems to have only three mentions of time lapse, and not one of them refers to how to trigger it. Is it a video mode, or a still mode, or...? Does it have configurable time frames?
You likely know by now the time lapse mode is for still images, and the camera has no internal means to join them into a video. BUT, there is a nice freeware program call "Photolapse" that does this very nicely. It's turned on via the "mSetup.exe" GUI program by Isoprop. All this is discussed in great detail in the initial posts here.

Also, it's likely that other video frame rates will be available with a future FW update, as they were with the Mobius predecessor, the #16 HD keychain camera. This will produce native videos at lower frame rates that can be sped up with various video editors to play faster, nicely filling the time lapse speed gap that the time lapse photo mode cannot do.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:30 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
Hi everyone, my clicky fingers are poised over the order button for a Mobius, I've got a #16 V2 at the moment but would love an upgrade, especially as JooVuu have them in the UK!
Mine arrived from "verified vendor" eletoponline365 on eBay (China) in under 6 calendar days with the standard free shipping. £46 instead of £60 ...

I have #16v1 and v2, and the Mobius is a nice upgrade.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundertm View Post
I have a video using the mobius as a dashcam...
The camera DOES get hot (outside temps around 32 Celsius). I will remove the battery as soon as i get a small enough screwdriver and see if removing the battery improves temps.
If you are using the "auto power on record" function to turn on/off your dashcam, you need the internal battery, because it continues to power the camera for about 15 sec. after external power is removed (in case of an accident) and to properly close and save the video file.

FWIW, it's the DSP chip that generates the majority of the heat, with much smaller contributions from the battery, memory chip, and CMOS imager controller.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 18, 2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Jul 2013
32 Posts
I am using it (for the moment), but will turn it off prior to removing the battery. I will manually start and stop the videos.

My main concern is the battery blowing up form the heat (yes, i know, i'm paranoid ), that's why i plan to remove it.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:06 PM
United States, OR, Cornelius
Joined Mar 2013
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Second message at the front..
•Time Lapse photos with delays between images of .25*, .5*, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 and 60 second intervals.
* Note: The settings below 1 sec. require a photo frame size of 1920x1080 or smaller, and they will not have a date stamp even if it is turned on.
I haven't used it with Mobius, but with the 808, every 2 seconds...
There is no programmable video sequencer for clips at intervals..
The larger size of the photos can be better than the video for information.
Thanks, Sparky. I'd found that, and the intervals info is helpful! It's just not clear from the manual how you start the time lapse mode, instead of taking just a single pic. I guess I'll have to wait until I get the camera before I understand. Moot point until I do get it, anyway.
Greiswig is offline Find More Posts by Greiswig
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:35 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Use the GUI, it has all the modes and settings.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greiswig View Post
Thanks, Sparky. I'd found that, and the intervals info is helpful! It's just not clear from the manual how you start the time lapse mode, instead of taking just a single pic. I guess I'll have to wait until I get the camera before I understand. Moot point until I do get it, anyway.
Down load and look at the GUI functions now... no need to wait until you get the camera. You can see and get familiar with all the settings. There are "tool tips" with a brief explanation of what each does that pop up when you hover the mouse over the functions. And the user manual is also built into the GUI for quick reference. But it's a windows program, so if you don't have a Windows PC or emulation program for a different OS, you'll need to manually edit and load the configuration text file, and for that you do need the camera.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:03 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,516 Posts
This is my second attempt to make a time laps using Mobius ActionCam set up on time lapse mode to take shot every 5 seconds from 7:30 to 8;50pm 852 pictures. The Dynamic Range was ON. I don't know if that will effect the photo mode..,
Time Lapse using Mobius ActionCam (0 min 30 sec)
tushev is online now Find More Posts by tushev
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:03 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
742 Posts
I have a silly question: The windows GUI software won't detect my Mobius. Does the Mobius need a working microSD card before it can be detected?

Because I only had a 64GB micro SDXC card lying around, I managed to connect in Removable Disk mode (windows saw the card through the usb to Mobius.

However, without any other compatible microSD to test, the GUI software doesn't even detect it at all.

I can't seem to find anything in this thread or the manual that indicates this.
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:09 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,516 Posts
Turn it off and on again. When show up in the list above click on it. Good luck!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:14 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,318 Posts
Here's how I mount my Mobius...

It provides significant dampening, but requires a bit more tuning to reduce Jello...

Here's a sample video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUEYe7xNmu8
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:08 AM
Joined Jan 2013
114 Posts
Has anyone scanned this camera to see what control\vidtx frequencies it may be jamming up with noise or seen any reduced range?
DaFats is online now Find More Posts by DaFats
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:22 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFats View Post
Has anyone scanned this camera to see what control\vidtx frequencies it may be jamming up with noise or seen any reduced range?
Send one to Bruce from rcmodelreviews on youtube.
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:49 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc View Post
I have a silly question: The windows GUI software won't detect my Mobius. Does the Mobius need a working microSD card before it can be detected?

Because I only had a 64GB micro SDXC card lying around, I managed to connect in Removable Disk mode (windows saw the card through the usb to Mobius.

However, without any other compatible microSD to test, the GUI software doesn't even detect it at all.

I found that I needed to use 32GB or smaller card for config software to detect camera. The camera doesn't officially support 64GB cards. When I have my 64GB card installed config software does not detect it (but it still records OK.)
Gimmer is online now Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:55 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
I found that I needed to use 32GB or smaller card for config software to detect camera. The camera doesn't officially support 64GB cards. When I have my 64GB card installed config software does not detect it (but it still records OK.)
Thanks mate that's exactly my experience as well! I have my 32GB Class 4 microSD Sandisk on its way - that should be right smack in the middle of the recommended set of cards
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Jul 2013
2 Posts
Hello all, I'm Rafal and it's my first post at rcgroups. I just received my Mobius and I like the camera so far. I'm mostly interested in it's time lapse functionality.

This thread is way long now ... I've been reading for a while and may have missed it but is there a way to capture time-lapse using hd video mode instead of individual photos? I'd like to cut out an extra step out of my workflow and have ready playable videos instead of having to process the photos into a timelapse video.

I know the #16 has this by adjusting video frame rate down to 5 fps or something. But the video produced through that method still needed to be reprocessed back to 30 fps in post.

I'm hoping to simply set mode 2 on Mobius to 1080p video at a frame rate of 5 fps or lower and have it automatically play back on my android at 30 frames per second.

Thanks all
ulightme is offline Find More Posts by ulightme
Last edited by ulightme; Jul 19, 2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: extra verbiage added
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:04 AM
Joined Apr 2010
82 Posts
amusing most function on the #16 will be added to the mobius in time. Time will tell
ThaHandy is offline Find More Posts by ThaHandy
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:48 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,516 Posts
to ulightme

You can simply shrink you video to achieve a fast speed time lapse effect, however the beauty of T. lapse shows up using full frames. Large frames allows you to pan and zoom in the time lapse and gives you much grater details! This camera does all you need to do it: every 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 second continuous shooting. You need external battery if you want to shoot longer than 2 hours. The rest its up to your editing program, your needs and your skills.
Last edited by tushev; Jul 19, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
This is my second attempt to make a time laps using Mobius ActionCam set up on time lapse mode to take shot every 5 seconds from 7:30 to 8;50pm 852 pictures. The Dynamic Range was ON. I don't know if that will effect the photo mode.., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iXvn3dEzes
Your time lapse is nice.
Photos have a bit too much contrast, but quality is good.

There is something unusual, your cam seems to move.
As time goes, FOV changes. Look at the streetlight at the bottom left and at the tree on the right.
It's strange.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mortimer; Jul 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:04 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,516 Posts
The photo mode in dark is not so great, here is a full frame below. The motion is simulated pan in side the frame made in the editing program. Check this video tuto for how to make it
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:58 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Deleted... misunderstood the question
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:22 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulightme View Post
Hello all, I'm Rafal and it's my first post at rcgroups. I just received my Mobius and I like the camera so far. I'm mostly interested in it's time lapse functionality.

This thread is way long now ... I've been reading for a while and may have missed it but is there a way to capture time-lapse using hd video mode instead of individual photos? I'd like to cut out an extra step out of my workflow and have ready playable videos instead of having to process the photos into a timelapse video.

I know the #16 has this by adjusting video frame rate down to 5 fps or something. But the video produced through that method still needed to be reprocessed back to 30 fps in post.

I'm hoping to simply set mode 2 on Mobius to 1080p video at a frame rate of 5 fps or lower and have it automatically play back on my android at 30 frames per second.

Thanks all
Slower frame rates like the #16 are in the Mobius FW development plans, but they will most likely record and play back at what ever frame rate you set.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:15 PM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
LED mode

Hello,

Is it just my Mobius? My mode LED's are...

Yellow = video(user defined)Mode 1
Blue = video(user defined)Mode 2
Red = photo

The reason I ask this is the GUI says...
Mode 1 = Red LED
Mode 2 = Blue LED
Photo = Apparently Yellow LED

Just wondering.

Rob
bluecnc is offline Find More Posts by bluecnc
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:26 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Mine has been set for Mode 1, yellow.
Mode 2, Blue
Photo, Red.
And, when in Red, and hooked up to a tv, it lets you review the files on the card, video and photo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:51 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I'm still testing, but I found (before my computer has semi-crashed) that the file corruption does not occur with other clip lengths using the config settings you posted. It's only an issue with the 15 min. setting for some unknown reason. I'm sure it will be corrected.
I chaged the clipping time to 10 minutes. Still the same - first part has the end corrupted. Next time I will try even shorter.
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:08 PM
Near-Earth object
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Mine has been set for Mode 1, yellow.
Mode 2, Blue
Photo, Red.
And, when in Red, and hooked up to a tv, it lets you review the files on the card, video and photo.
Thank you for that info.

Can we define what the LED colors mean?

Rob
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecnc View Post
Hello,

Is it just my Mobius? My mode LED's are...

Yellow = video(user defined)Mode 1
Blue = video(user defined)Mode 2
Red = photo

The reason I ask this is the GUI says...
Mode 1 = Red LED
Mode 2 = Blue LED
Photo = Apparently Yellow LED

Just wondering.

Rob
Are you reading that from the user instructions built into the GUI? If so, it must be an obsolete version. The latest v1.0.2.7 shows the correct information.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for that info.

Can we define what the LED colors mean?

Rob
We already did. It's in the GUI HELP file and in the GUI manual linked in post #3.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 19, 2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: corrected link page #
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:32 PM
Near-Earth object
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Are you reading that from the user instructions built into the GUI? If so, it must be an obsolete version. The latest v1.0.2.7 shows the correct information.
Thank you Tom,

Yes, I am reading the built in user instructions. I just checked my version and it is v1.0.2.7.

I will try my camera again just to make sure what I stated is right.

Thanks

Rob
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:02 PM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
what kind of deals are the retailers offering to us frequent customers who bought one or more of the 808 # 16 camera?
demologik is offline Find More Posts by demologik
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:31 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demologik View Post
what kind of deals are the retailers offering to us frequent customers who bought one or more of the 808 # 16 camera?
Ask them, not many people buy cameras by the dozen...
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:01 AM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
233 Posts
I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if the info is already somewhere.

If you take a time lapse with the camera, the battery will last about 2 hours (frame size 2304 x 1536, a photo every 5 seconds).
Panoramix is offline Find More Posts by Panoramix
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:43 AM
Joined Jul 2013
1 Posts
External USB charger + AV out (while recording)

Is it possible to record video while both charging (connected to USB charger) and using AV-out (connected to AV-in device)?

And if so, can you recommend any AV-in devices with small screen that is small and does its job. As cheap as possible please
Sidragnar is offline Find More Posts by Sidragnar
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:48 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidragnar View Post
Is it possible to record video while both charging (connected to USB charger) and using AV-out (connected to AV-in device)?

And if so, can you recommend any AV-in devices with small screen that is small and does its job. As cheap as possible please
Yes, you can

About av-in devices, on ebay you can find 3.5" monitor for around 15$ shipped .. I got one of these and it has good quality , 640x480 pixel that give a quite clear image ...
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:39 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2002
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Yes, you can

About av-in devices, on ebay you can find 3.5" monitor for around 15$ shipped .. I got one of these and it has good quality , 640x480 pixel that give a quite clear image ...
Any chance of a link to those ? If its off topic PM me.
I have 3.5" monitor for fpv, but its more like 320x240 despite the vendor claiming 640x480.

Will be using it with the Mobius when I get one.
Tatty is offline Find More Posts by Tatty
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:14 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysium View Post
I changed the clipping time to 10 minutes. Still the same - first part has the end corrupted. Next time I will try even shorter.
Now it is 5 minutes. Video is clean.

So I can confirm the MOV file is corrupted at he end of the each clip that camera cut at 15 minutes and 10 minutes when the setting is to cut longer videos to smaller files at 15 minutes or 10 minutes accordingly. When the setting tells the camera to cut longer vidoe clips at 5 minutes time-mark the MOV file is fine.

This is for firmware 0.34 MOV.
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:37 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
I just went 48 minutes on the bike, with M at 720p.
The first clip is 40:49, the same amount of gigabytes as the 1080p shortened clips.
There's a 2 second gap to the next clip.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:06 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you can

Would like a link as well !
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:40 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatty View Post
Any chance of a link to those ? If its off topic PM me.
I have 3.5" monitor for fpv, but its more like 320x240 despite the vendor claiming 640x480.

Will be using it with the Mobius when I get one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
Would like a link as well !
I just check ... I got this on 2012 for 18.9$ shipper, from tomtop_digital
I remember delivery have been extra long over 40days

I see he has still the same for 19.5$ shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-Hign-Def...-/110744613991

ps: on youtube recently I have seen a British guy that did show how to make fpv goggle using a special epp adapter that will old the screen in front of the eyes
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysium View Post
Now it is 5 minutes. Video is clean.

So I can confirm the MOV file is corrupted at he end of the each clip that camera cut at 15 minutes and 10 minutes when the setting is to cut longer videos to smaller files at 15 minutes or 10 minutes accordingly. When the setting tells the camera to cut longer vidoe clips at 5 minutes time-mark the MOV file is fine.

This is for firmware 0.34 MOV.
Yes, I confirmed this and already have a fix for the corrupted files, but another bug was introduced in the process. When the FW is clean for this fix, I will post it here for D/L.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Jul 2013
32 Posts
Did a few more tests, when the battery is installed, i get a buzzing sound when i hit bumps. I put more foam in the case to keep the battery nice and tight, but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas ?

Meanwhile, i shot some night videos. I've also attached 2 RAW files.

https://mega.co.nz/#!4IYxALhT!aD9m9U...YF32-eb6w54fAs
https://mega.co.nz/#!BQZQybYR!Es8WnR...UP4oqzsiLURNOI

Mobius Dashcam - Night Video (1 min 7 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2008
26 Posts
Quote:
Did a few more tests, when the battery is installed, i get a buzzing sound when i hit bumps. I put more foam in the case to keep the battery nice and tight, but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUYVZKxRfzc
Must admit I am impressed with the low light video quality of the Mobius.

A bit of background buzzing wouldnt bother me as I intend to use on my tricopter instead of my GoPro 2.
grezmel is offline Find More Posts by grezmel
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:13 PM
Near-Earth object
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom.

I just now realized there was a help button on the GUI. Thank you for the heads up.

But... Just for grins hover your mouse over the mode text on the GUI.

Quote "Video Mode I parameters will be used when the red LED is turned on.
Video I mode is selected by continuously pressing the "Mode" button on the camera until the red LED is turned on".

At least that is what it shows on my computer.

With deepest respect.

Rob Bode
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:40 PM
Joined Jul 2013
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grezmel View Post
Must admit I am impressed with the low light video quality of the Mobius.

A bit of background buzzing wouldnt bother me as I intend to use on my tricopter instead of my GoPro 2.
To be honest, i didn't expect it to be this good either.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:40 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,613 Posts
A warning for the FPV people and a request to the developer.
Today I started testing the Mobius for FPV but for precaution mounted in my RC car.
Turns out it was a good idea, when the cards gets full while the camera is recording it displays a big black box with the letter "Card Full" in the middle.

Problem is the square covers almost all the image, so if I was using it for live video out on a plane It would be BAD!

See photo bellow I took from what could be seen in the goggles.

I wanted for some time hopping it would go away but no, it never went away and I had to turn off the camera.
The GoPro does something similar but only last 1 or 2s and afterwards only the text "Card Full" stays in the screen. So similar behaviour would be acceptable.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom.

I just now realized there was a help button on the GUI. Thank you for the heads up.

But... Just for grins hover your mouse over the mode text on the GUI.

Quote "Video Mode I parameters will be used when the red LED is turned on.
Video I mode is selected by continuously pressing the "Mode" button on the camera until the red LED is turned on".

At least that is what it shows on my computer.

With deepest respect.

Rob Bode
Good catch, Rob! I had not noticed that before, but I'm sure Isoprop will fix it when he is back from his vacation and can get caught up on all the happenings.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 20, 2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
A warning for the FPV people and a request to the developer.
Today I started testing the Mobius for FPV but for precaution mounted in my RC car.
Turns out it was a good idea, when the cards gets full while the camera is recording it displays a big black box with the letter "Card Full" in the middle.

Problem is the square covers almost all the image, so if I was using it for live video out on a plane It would be BAD!

See photo bellow I took from what could be seen in the goggles.

I wanted for some time hopping it would go away but no, it never went away and I had to turn off the camera.
The GoPro does something similar but only last 1 or 2s and afterwards only the text "Card Full" stays in the screen. So similar behaviour would be acceptable.
Thanks for the heads up. This is similar to what the #16 keychain camera did, but I had not tested for it with the Mobius. It was fix very nicely with the #16, along with a brief pop-up low battery alert that gave about 1 min. notice before the camera quits from low voltage. I don't know if the Mobius has this or not. The Mobius has different hardware, but hopefully the developer will be able to do similar things with the Mobius. I'll reinforce your suggestion with since this is pretty important for FPV flight!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:08 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
If possible I would suggest putting the warnings on a black background that is as high as the characters, and position it all the way at the top of the video. Only issue here is if the display device shows less of the image than the full amount you may not see the warning. Maybe upper third of the video so that it will always be visible, yet not block the important area where the ground and landing would be seen.

Simple white font with a black outline might also be good, need the black for contrast against a light sky. And card full not the most important warning, but low batt would definitely be something they would want to know about.

Need to make myself an FPV car one of these days.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:16 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
If possible I would suggest putting the warnings on a black background that is as high as the characters, and position it all the way at the top of the video. Only issue here is if the display device shows less of the image than the full amount you may not see the warning. Maybe upper third of the video so that it will always be visible, yet not block the important area where the ground and landing would be seen.

Simple white font with a black outline might also be good, need the black for contrast against a light sky. And card full not the most important warning, but low batt would definitely be something they would want to know about.

Need to make myself an FPV car one of these days.
The #16 handled this nicely with a brief popup using small red text with transparent background in the center of the display. The view was not appreciably obstructed, the text was quite visible, and there was no interference with video overlay of flight data that many user have in the border areas. There were no complaints on this scheme from the FPV fliers, so it should be OK with the Mobius display as well, I think.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUYVZKxRfzc
That is pretty night video in my book! I could not discern the "buzzing" sound you mention, but could hear some thumps when hitting rough road. On a different camera, the electret mic was picking up very low frequency road noise (essentially inaudible to the human ear) and driving the audio into clipping, which I could hear as a scratchy, static-like noise. But I didn't hear that in your video, though.

But the video quality was excellent!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 20, 2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Jul 2013
32 Posts
Video quality is indeed truly amazing . I just love this cam.

Maybe buzzing isn't the proper word to use, it's more like you said... like static/scratchy. It's best heard between 21-30 (s) in the youtube clip.

I have to do more in-car tests regarding this teeny-tiny problem, because while i drove with the battery removed it seemed not to occur. But i deleted those clips, so i may be wrong and there's no way to check.

Now i did a test at home:
-with battery and more foam added.
-with battery and original amount of foam.
-without battery.

The test comprised of shaking and hitting the camera (gently ), trying to reproduce the rattling sound. To no avail.

So i just think it's induced vibration from the car engine / gearbox, seeing that i drive a diesel, but like i said, i will do more in-car testing over the next few days.
Last edited by thundertm; Jul 20, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:18 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,613 Posts
Quote:
The #16 handled this nicely with a brief popup using small red text with transparent background in the center of the display. The view was not appreciably obstructed, the text was quite visible, and there was no interference with video overlay of flight data that many user have in the border areas. There were no complaints on this scheme from the FPV fliers, so it should be OK with the Mobius display as well, I think.
Thanks Tom!

I had that happen on the #16 while flying and it didn't cause any problem, I kept flying. So it's a good scheme.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:23 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
I just check ... I got this on 2012 for 18.9$ shipper, from tomtop_digital
I remember delivery have been extra long over 40days

I see he has still the same for 19.5$ shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-Hign-Def...-/110744613991

ps: on youtube recently I have seen a British guy that did show how to make fpv goggle using a special epp adapter that will old the screen in front of the eyes
Thanks, I've just ordered one. I did see that FPV goggle movie some time ago, but just gonna use the screen for framing the Mobius while at the field.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:52 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
487 Posts
Tom, would it be possible to make the saturation and sharpening levels configurable using the msetup.exe tool?
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanley_nl View Post
Tom, would it be possible to make the saturation and sharpening levels configurable using the msetup.exe tool?
User toggles for tweaking the video image qualities such as you mentioned are already in development, and should be in a major FW upgrade coming soon.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:51 PM
also known as ke123
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2007
186 Posts
Mobius Actioncam spectrum analysis around 433 MHz

Hi - just received this great little cam. I've seen the question posed here and happen to have an RFExplorer to help shed light on whether this cam is a good idea for the UHF LRS users among us to use, or if we need to shield it.

Here are the results.

Noise floor in the room

Camera on, point blank range (~2 inches) to RFExplorer with Diamond SRH-771 antenna attached to the 240-960 MHz module

Camera on, recording 1080p video to Sandisk 32 GB MicroSDHC card (class 10)

I repeated the measurements in another room in my basement with similar results. I will not comment any further but will allow you all to interpret the data. All the best,
Kris
krise is offline Find More Posts by krise
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:33 PM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Thanks mate that's exactly my experience as well! I have my 32GB Class 4 microSD Sandisk on its way - that should be right smack in the middle of the recommended set of cards
Interesting... have you actually filled the card successfullY?

mnem
Hmmm...
mnemennth is online now Find More Posts by mnemennth
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:40 AM
Joined Jul 2013
1 Posts
How to clip a mobius to a vertical jacket pocket?

Hi, excellent camera!

Anyone know a good way to mount this cam to a vertical jacket pocket? I was thinking some heavy duty clothespin and a 1/4" bolt, then I could mount the camera and just clip it to myself, but there's not enough clearance to be able to point it straight.

What do you guys do if you need to mount a camera on your RC Craft at 90 degree angles?

Thanks
sabot7726 is offline Find More Posts by sabot7726
Old Jul 21, 2013, 04:41 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
723 Posts
Hi. Regarding the rfexplorer results. I dont know how to interpret the graph lol. But I guess it looks clean with camera on. Does it look uhf friendly ?
Thanks
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Old Jul 21, 2013, 04:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krise View Post
Hi - just received this great little cam. I've seen the question posed here and happen to have an RFExplorer to help shed light on whether this cam is a good idea for the UHF LRS users among us to use, or if we need to shield it.

I repeated the measurements in another room in my basement with similar results. I will not comment any further but will allow you all to interpret the data. All the best,
Kris
The fact that your noise floor seems to get pushed up over the whole band by 7-10dB would indicate that there is a higher level spike being generated out of band somewhere causing cross-modulation on your test equipment.
Have you checked it on a much wider band setting and have you looked above 1Ghz...
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Jul 21, 2013, 05:20 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
690 Posts
Took the Mobius cam out for the first time for today, very happy with it. Managed to capture a nice move by an Eagle...well I think its an Eagle.

Eagle Agility (0 min 19 sec)

...easier to see on youtube HD.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 05:36 AM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
646 Posts
Quote:
Took the Mobius cam out for the first time for today, very happy with it. Managed to capture a nice move by an Eagle...well I think its an Eagle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJS61fgYWY&hd=1

...easier to see on youtube HD.
I'm not sure on the bird but it looked like what ever was in the water was about to be eaten!!
metalbender4by is offline Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old Jul 21, 2013, 06:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krise View Post

Here are the results.

Noise floor in the room

Camera on, point blank range (~2 inches) to RFExplorer with Diamond SRH-771 antenna attached to the 240-960 MHz module

Camera on, recording 1080p video to Sandisk 32 GB MicroSDHC card (class 10)

Kris
I know this is of interest to FPV'ers, and I was was intrigued by your results, so I ran the same tests as I did on the #16 some time ago.
I have got completely different results to you at UHF, which is odd, so my recommendation would be to carefully test if you are using 400 Mhz long range gear for FPV etc, as the noise at those frequencies is higher than I would personally be happy with.

At 2.4 GHz its just fine. 1" away and its hardly noticeable.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Last edited by VideoKing; Jul 21, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:08 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemennth View Post
Interesting... have you actually filled the card successfullY?

mnem
Hmmm...
Not sure what you mean. The 32GB sandisk is Class 4 as recommended, and on it's way by post.

I've tried a nokia 1GB one (from my cousin's old phone as a last resort) but no go - the GUI detected it but with "PID= VID= Device not supported" so I'll just have to wait till mine arrives. I haven't filled any card since I havent' had one that worked.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Jul 2013
32 Posts
Another video, this time during day-time (if i'm boring you, tell me ).

Although i removed the battery, the scratching / static persists when i hit rough patches of road. Or maybe it appears because i drive with both front windows open .

Anyway, not a big problem as far as i'm conceirned.

So, here's the RAW file (131 MB): https://mega.co.nz/#!sZIDWaKK!UGTGDj...qsdm3yz5Z-iqnk

Mobius Dashcam - Day Video (1 min 7 sec)

A little birdie told me the developers are working on a version without a battery (but with a condenser <hope i used the proper term>), specifically designed for dashcam use. The condenser would allow enough time for the camera to close/finish a video that's being recorded and shut down properly. (with the battery removed, upon unplugging the external powersource, the camera "loses" the clip that's being recorded, no matter how long it is.)

Is this true ? (the part about a new Mobius version ) And if so, can the battery version be easily converted to a condenser-version ?

Thank you.
Last edited by thundertm; Jul 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Another video, this time during day-time (if i'm boring you, tell me ).

Although i removed the battery, the scratching / static persists when i hit rough patches of road.
It's got to be low frequency road noise audio clipping, I believe. Anyway, other than to demonstrate camera features/problems/solutions (which you've done), videos of other than aerial videos are off considered off topic here.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
Joined Jul 2013
32 Posts
My bad. I'm haven't been caught by the aerial video bug yet, but who knows what lies ahead ?

I have edited my above post, did you get a chance to read it ? I'd really be totally interested in your reply regarding the added text (below the video). Especially if a condenser can easily be added to the existing version. Thank you, Tom.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:19 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
It's got to be low frequency road noise audio clipping, I believe. Anyway, other than to demonstrate camera features/problems/solutions (which you've done), videos of other than aerial videos are off considered off topic here.
Good to know that I have green light for stress you all with my aerial video

Quote:
My bad. I'm haven't been caught by the aerial video bug yet, but who knows what lies ahead ?

I have edited my above post, did you get a chance to read it ? I'd really be totally interested in your reply regarding the added text (below the video). Especially if a condenser can easily be added to the existing version. Thank you, Tom.
I don't see a problem on doing it ... the battery is connected via a almost standard plug ... just get a nice tantalum capacitor .. and you are ready to go

What is missing now is possible the firmware that may help in case you take out the power ... but ... if you close the video manually ... there is no problem

I did not check it so far, just because the stock battery is glued on the case, and I'm afraid I can ruin it im case I apply to much power for unstick the battery .. for the rest I have the plug and the capacitor already

Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Jul 2013
32 Posts
Hmm, i totally forgot about the firmware part. You're totally right. Even with the capacitor installed, it wouldn't help at all without an "Power off on NO external power" option in the firmware (or some other fancy name ).

Tom ?

Just curious, what capacitor do you have ? Could you maybe send me a picture or it's specs on PM ?

Btw, my battery wasn't glued to the case when i opened it. It must have fallen off during transport.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
A little birdie told me the developers are working on a version without a battery (but with a condenser <hope i used the proper term>), specifically designed for dashcam use. The condenser would allow enough time for the camera to close/finish a video that's being recorded and shut down properly. (with the battery removed, upon unplugging the external powersource, the camera "loses" the clip that's being recorded, no matter how long it is.)

Is this true ? (the part about a new Mobius version ) And if so, can the battery version be easily converted to a condenser-version ?

Thank you.
I'm not aware of any such development, but that doesn't mean it's not happening... certainly possible.

Obviously, a capacitor (condenser) in lieu of a battery would still need to store enough charge to deliver the current the camera is using while recording, and hold the voltage above the camera minimum needed to operate (about 3.6V at the battery connection) for a long enough time period to finish the recording and save the file. Finding one (or several combined in parallel) that can do this and still be small enough to fit in the case would be the first task. But keeping the internal clock ticking once the camera is powered down would continue to drain the capacitor just as it does a battery, so it's probable the clock stopping between camera use would be a side problem.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMaster View Post
Im looking for a gimbal too, but the brushless are or too expensive, or to heavy for this camera...
I don't really know anything about these -- not sure if you need anything in addition -- but here's a brushless gimbal motor that's 37 grams and US$16.80 w/ free shipping: http://dx.com/p/2208-kv80-brushless-...gopro-3-227555
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Overscan

Hi friends!

Is it possible to get the Mobius to fill the whole screen?

Using Fatshark Attitude SD and gets a ugly black borders all round the screen. Tested both NTSC and PAl 16:9 and 4:3 nothing helps.

And I am curious to know if there are any progress in removing the SD-Full-message?

Thanks for a magnificent camera!!!!
Bloodcarver is offline Find More Posts by Bloodcarver
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, i totally forgot about the firmware part. You're totally right. Even with the capacitor installed, it wouldn't help at all without an "Power off on NO external power" option in the firmware (or some other fancy name ).

Tom ?
I don't see why another FW toggle would be necessary. The capacitor would be charged when an external power source was applied, just like a battery, and it could continue to power the camera just like a battery would, when the "auto start record" function was selected. It just may not be able to continue to power the camera for another 12 sec. like a battery would with the current firmware. Besides, such a camera would be largely crippled for many AV uses with no internal battery, and would therefore have diminished use for this purpose. It would become off topic in this thread, and someone else would need to start a support thread for it, probably in the "Off Topic" forum at this website.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
I don't really know anything about these -- not sure if you need anything in addition -- but here's a brushless gimbal motor that's 37 grams and US$16.80 w/ free shipping: http://dx.com/p/2208-kv80-brushless-...gopro-3-227555
These gimbal issues are getting too far off topic here. Please take the discussion of those to a new thread in the AV forum, or maybe these are already discussed in an existing thread. Just click the "Aerial Photography" link in the header of this page and take a look (or maybe in the FPV specific forum).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodcarver View Post
Hi friends!

Is it possible to get the Mobius to fill the whole screen?

Using Fatshark Attitude SD and gets a ugly black borders all round the screen. Tested both NTSC and PAl 16:9 and 4:3 nothing helps.

And I am curious to know if there are any progress in removing the SD-Full-message?

Thanks for a magnificent camera!!!!
The Fat Shark display is not something the camera can change with it's settings. This question has come up here several times, and many times in the #16 camera forum. On my TVs with composite video input, setting the camera to 4:3 aspect ratio display will fill the entire 4:3 TV screen, though the image is vertically stretched out of necessity. The camera captured HD video is 16:9 aspect ratio which is forced into the native 4:3 aspect ratio composite video out display. To fill the entire 4:3 screen with captured image requires either stretching the 16:9 image vertically (keeping the same AOV), or cropping the image to 4:3 aspect ratio first, then up-converting to fill the composite video screen ( losing much of the AOV and adding some more quality loss). I have no idea why Fat Shark will not fill it's 4:3 aspect 640x480 display with the same 4:3 image my analog TV displays. Try contacting the Fat Shark developer on this (or the FPV forum here for any work-arounds).

I just commented on the alert messages yesterday (post #1049)! They will be addressed shortly, and when ANYTHING new in the FW is ready for release, an announcement post will be made here when the FW has been posted for download in post #3. You don't even need to read this thread... just boot the camera GUI and in the Tools menu, set the check box for "always check for new firmware". When you connect the Mobius, you will get an alert if new FW is available for download.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 21, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 02:06 PM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Any word on the waterproof case for the Mobius? Just ordered mine from JooVuu, can't wait for it to arrive
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
The Fat Shark display is not something the camera can change with it's settings. This question has come up here several times, and many times in the #16 camera forum. On my TVs with composite video input, setting the camera to 4:3 aspect ratio display will fill the entire 4:3 TV screen, though the image is vertically stretched out of necessity. The camera captured HD video is 16:9 aspect ratio which is forced into the native 4:3 aspect ratio composite video out display. To fill the entire 4:3 screen with captured image requires either stretching the 16:9 image vertically (keeping the same AOV), or cropping the image to 4:3 aspect ratio first, then up-converting to fill the composite video screen ( losing much of the AOV and adding some more quality loss). I have no idea why Fat Shark will not fill it's 4:3 aspect 640x480 display with the same 4:3 image my analog TV displays. Try contacting the Fat Shark developer on this (or the FPV forum here for any work-arounds).

I just commented on the alert messages yesterday (post #1049)! They will be addressed shortly, and when ANYTHING new in the FW is ready for release, an announcement post will be made here when the FW has been posted for download in post #3. You don't even need to read this thread... just boot the camera GUI and in the Tools menu, set the check box for "always check for new firmware". When you connect the Mobius, you will get an alert if new FW is available for download.
Hi,

I will look for a new firmware often (c:

A normal TV has overscan "hidden" so it can cope with different signals, the FatShark will display the entire image and does not hide anything.

My Sony camera displays image on the complete screen but the Mobius with its black borders is not able to display the image on the entire screen.

I think it would be a good idea to use the entire screen as of now the Mobius does not use the full resolution of the PAL-signal.

I connected my Sony camera and my Mobius to my oscilloscope and in the first image (1) You can see one line of the video, and the highlighted areas point at the area that the Sony-camera fills with image.

In the second (2) image, the line from the Mobius, here You can clearly see that the Mobius dont use the complete width of the PAL-resolution.

I hope this helps You understand my problem. Of course i could contact FatShark and ask them to implement some kind of "zoom" to hide the overscan but i think a better solution would be for the Mobius to use the full screen.
Bloodcarver is offline Find More Posts by Bloodcarver
Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:30 PM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Another test of the timelapse feature! This time, I've left the camera running for 2 hours, suction-cap-mounted to the window (also, in the end you can see me watching "Look around you" )

Mobius Action Cam - test of the timelapse feature (0 min 44 sec)
acrobot is offline Find More Posts by acrobot
Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:58 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
I'm not aware of any such development, but that doesn't mean it's not happening... certainly possible.

Obviously, a capacitor (condenser) in lieu of a battery would still need to store enough charge to deliver the current the camera is using while recording, and hold the voltage above the camera minimum needed to operate (about 3.6V at the battery connection) for a long enough time period to finish the recording and save the file. Finding one (or several combined in parallel) that can do this and still be small enough to fit in the case would be the first task. But keeping the internal clock ticking once the camera is powered down would continue to drain the capacitor just as it does a battery, so it's probable the clock stopping between camera use would be a side problem.
There are specialist carpacitors that go under the generic name of "supercaps" at around 1+ Farad designed for fast charging, short term brown-out protection.
Mike
you still have the problem of date/time, but if the mpu can have its RTC run off a seperate silver oxide button cell .....
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Jul 21, 2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: rtc power
Old Jul 21, 2013, 05:25 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

A normal TV has overscan "hidden" so it can cope with different signals, the FatShark will display the entire image and does not hide anything.

My Sony camera displays image on the complete screen but the Mobius with its black borders is not able to display the image on the entire screen.

I think it would be a good idea to use the entire screen as of now the Mobius does not use the full resolution of the PAL-signal.

I connected my Sony camera and my Mobius to my oscilloscope and in the first image (1) You can see one line of the video, and the highlighted areas point at the area that the Sony-camera fills with image.

In the second (2) image, the line from the Mobius, here You can clearly see that the Mobius dont use the complete width of the PAL-resolution.

I hope this helps You understand my problem. Of course i could contact FatShark and ask them to implement some kind of "zoom" to hide the overscan but i think a better solution would be for the Mobius to use the full screen.
More simply ... over scan in pal means using 720x576 pixel at 25fps or 50fps interlaced

Actually since adapt the different pal signal to the screen is the task of the 'monitor' I would say this is more a FatShark problem

Using overscan PAL for make FatShark people happy, can cause limitations to other people using different monitors ... so ... this, eventually, will have to be an additional configuration option in the gui too

Note that overscan area is also used for encode TXT to send to the tv, so most monitor have reason for cut away the overscan portion
Old Jul 21, 2013, 05:25 PM
Joined Jul 2013
3 Posts
has anybody used the mobius cam as a webcam? what resolution does it support? and what software do you use?
zevral is offline Find More Posts by zevral
Old Jul 21, 2013, 06:03 PM
Joined Jul 2013
25 Posts
Hi,

I've just bought one of these cameras, and was wondering if it's possible to buy a polarising filter that fits nicely, or whether anyone had managed to DIY something?

Thanks
xreyuk is offline Find More Posts by xreyuk
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
There are specialist carpacitors that go under the generic name of "supercaps" at around 1+ Farad designed for fast charging, short term brown-out protection.
Mike
you still have the problem of date/time, but if the mpu can have its RTC run off a seperate silver oxide button cell .....
Yes, but then it's not the same camera physically as the current Mobius, and I have no intention of supporting here a dedicated car-recorder-only camera.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:21 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevral View Post
has anybody used the mobius cam as a webcam? what resolution does it support? and what software do you use?
If you have searched ANY of this thread, you would know some programs (e.g. AMCAP and Vdub) can support 1280x720. not the full 1920x1080 resolution.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 22, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Jul 2013
3 Posts
Sorry, but i searched the thread for the keyword "webcam" and didnt get the answers i was looking for.

Is there a reason 1080p is not supported?
zevral is offline Find More Posts by zevral
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,619 Posts
You know how that lazy mist rises from the valleys after a rain in the summer time? Well, that stuff moves faster than you might think, it's hard to judge how close it is and if you fly an RC plane into it, it just disappears!

Fortunately, my Cessna is one of my more dependable models and I knew I could turn it without loosing much altitude, so I gently made a turn until it came out of the mist.

The view from the on board Mobius was kind of neat though.

Whew!

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Jul 22, 2013, 02:27 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiau Pa
Joined Dec 2006
665 Posts
Got mine today, lol my pc and media player can't handle the files on high bitrate, initial impressions are it was a little noisy (grainy) and my #16 had better image, but that could be due to above comment and it was a gloomy day.

Will test tomorrow if hopefully sunny and post a vimeo if I still notice the noise.

Edit, now have tried outside I am getting same great results as the rest of you, still the #16 performs better inside in low light, but that is not a big deal.
doonunder is offline Find More Posts by doonunder
Last edited by doonunder; Jul 23, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:55 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
690 Posts
Here's some FPV footage taken with the Mobius 0.35 in Australia on a nice bright day. I am going to be ordering another one shortly, great cam.

Caip Follow (1 min 12 sec)

Another day of FPV (4 min 43 sec)
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:24 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

All I can say is the video-out signal is generated by the DSP chip in the camera. It displays NTSC video out fine on my 4 TV's two older analog and two digital HD TV's. So it might only be a PAL mode issue, but aside from that, I doubt there is anything that the Mobius developer can do about it if the DSP chip is doing the output conversion with it's built-in OS with no way to change it.

The developer monitors this thread, so the problem is now known and can be investigated if possible.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:33 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,095 Posts
My Mobius failed again yesterday. Fully charged on Monday July 15th, battery totally flat Sunday July 21st. I've contacted the seller and they've agreed to send me a new battery, so we'll see what happens when that arrives.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
114 Posts
Anyone using this with 433mhz control? Or is it to noisy on that band.
DaFats is online now Find More Posts by DaFats
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wokingham
Joined Sep 2011
311 Posts
I see if pin 4 is grounded pins 2 and 3 are the AV out... But can 5v still be supplied on pin 1?

Thanks

EDIT: Ignore me I've just seen this in the first post

DaveyLC is offline Find More Posts by DaveyLC
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:37 PM
also known as ke123
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
See my post a few pages back. I haven't had a problem using dragonlink, but I've not had a chance to go out long range with it yet
krise is offline Find More Posts by krise
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:12 PM
Northants U.K.
Joined Apr 2006
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyLC View Post
I see if pin 4 is grounded pins 2 and 3 are the AV out... But can 5v still be supplied on pin 1?

Thanks

EDIT: Ignore me I've just seen this in the first post

When in 'AV Out' & 'AV Out with charging' modes It should be noted that 'Pin 4' is not designated 'GND', It is tied to 'GND'.
belvoir is offline Find More Posts by belvoir
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:27 PM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what you mean. The 32GB sandisk is Class 4 as recommended, and on it's way by post.

I've tried a nokia 1GB one (from my cousin's old phone as a last resort) but no go - the GUI detected it but with "PID= VID= Device not supported" so I'll just have to wait till mine arrives. I haven't filled any card since I haven't' had one that worked.
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry; I got my quote boxes mixed up. This was intended to be directed at Gimmer, who stated he'd successfully recorded to a 64GB card.

I've many times had cards that were larger than officially supported by a camera maker which I was able to record to, until I started filling up the card and it eventually crashed, often corrupting the entire contents of the card. This was why I asked.

mnem
Too many bytes!
mnemennth is online now Find More Posts by mnemennth
Last edited by mnemennth; Jul 22, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:46 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemennth View Post
Sorry; I got my quote boxes mixed up. This was intended to be directed at Gimmer, who stated he'd successfully recorded to a 64GB card.

I've many times had cards that were larger than officially supported by a camera maker which I was able to record to, until I started filling up the card and it eventually crashed, often corrupting the entire contents of the card. This was why I asked.

mnem
Too many bytes!

No I haven't filled the 64GB card completely. Might give it a try today.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 05:42 PM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
646 Posts
Quote:
I've used it with the Dragon Link and been out about a mile with no issues.
metalbender4by is offline Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:23 PM
Per Ardua ad Astra
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Mobius Action Cam onboard Sebart Angel 30S (4 min 35 sec)

My first attempt at using the Mobius on one of my RC planes. Really impressed with the video quality for such a tiny camera. I was going to use double-sided servo tape to attach the camera on top of the wing but it just doesn't stick well enough due to the finish on the casing. In the end I just drilled the wing and fitted a long 1/4" nylon wing bolt through the wing and into the tripod bush. There certainly is some jello but I pushed the plane pretty hard through some manoeuvres. I think the next time I will fly it more slowly LOL.
I did of course weight the camera in it's mount with the wing-bolt and this came out to around 50g.....I added the same amount of balance weights to the top of the opposite wing.
Esprit 88 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit 88
Last edited by Esprit 88; Jul 22, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Closed Thread