HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2001, 07:02 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2001
145 Posts
Help With Simprop Fokker DR1

Hi,
I am hoping that someone can please help me with a Simprop Fokker DR 1 I have just purchased. The instructions are in German and my Deutsch is not up to scracth .

What I would like to know is what motor, gearbox, speed controller, servos (prefer JR) etc do I need to purchase to fly this plane please? As it did not come with a motor or gearbox. Also if you could please point me in the right direction as to who sells the motor and gearbox for this model and any pics of the items would be of great help as well .

Also does anyone know of any mods or things I need to be aware of when putting it together please? As I don't want to make any mistakes with this model.

Any information or help will be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards
Erica.
CybaGirl is offline Find More Posts by CybaGirl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2001, 09:14 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Hi Erica,

Here's what Hobby Lobby recommends:
http://eam.net/hobbylobby/fokker_dr1..._slowflyer.htm

Here's a page "translated" from the German. This is an example. You could probably do better yourself.

"The kit, which contains the finished stuck together trunk and red painted felling trees hurry among other things..."

fokker

Here's another page from German.
fokkerI

You'll see that both the German pages recommend a 350+ drive while Hobby Lobby recommends a 280. I'm going to try a 350+ in a Dr1 I plan to buy. I have a Hobby Lobby 350+ (SI5141 Power Drive 350 for Sukhoi)
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/gear400.htm

There have been reports of people having trouble getting them to fly. Here's a post I made a while back.

There's a short review here a few clicks down the page. From the writeup it's no wonder people had problems with it. The reviewer seems to have found solutions.
http://www.slewin.clara.net/elec/sfreviews.htm#esc

I'm planning on using as light radio gear as possible.

Good luck and keep us posted. I plan to buy one as soon as Hobby Lobby puts it on sale or when I complete my Stearman PT-17, whichever comes first.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Last edited by Red Baron 47; Nov 30, 2001 at 09:17 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:09 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Not sure if this helps...

Hi,

I have the Simprop Pfalz and it is great with the 350+ Drive (black motor, 5:1 gears) I use the 9*6 APC Slowfly prop and Sanyo nicads, 6 *500AR or 6 * 600 AE cells.

Also, I use the same drive in my Crazy Sparrow, but Sanyo 8*600 AE cells.

For the ESC, I am using the Jeti 10.

Dave
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:15 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Bleriot,

I thought you already had a wife. Do you have to have a bunch of everything?

RB
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:22 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
HI Red Baron 47 (curses) Well ,It never hurts to stock up, Besides, if I move to Australia, then I can personally taunt Aussie Slowman about his 200 hr DXA. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:56 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
If you move to Australia you can visit her hobby shop and stock up on DX motors.

Here's the site. You can play with the P-51 Mustang. Please take it easy and don't crash it or burn up the motor.

http://www.kellettshobbies.com/

RB
Old Jan 04, 2002, 04:20 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,768 Posts
You might also try this combo - a Wattage 3.67:1 gearbox with one of their 370 motors. It puts out about 1 amp less than the Hobby Lobby recommended combo, but works great with the Pfalz D3 I have.
Robert Stinson is online now Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Jan 04, 2002, 05:07 PM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
Damn Bleroit -- how the heck does a single Aussie guy compete with a master fryenator like yourself-- all airport staff have been placed on full alert lest you try and sneak into the country..
I do this simply for the good of our ladies -- you have seen what he does to motors imagine what he does to women??
Just to keep on topic -- yeah Erica -- go with the 350 I have seen several with this combo and they perform well . If Bleriot shows up at the door (usually accompanied/announced by a very sick sounding doorbell with smoke coming out of it) please lock and chain your door-- call the fire department and talk reassuringly to any small motors that might be in your vincinity
--THIS EVIL MUST BE STOPPED!!!!!
aussie slowman is offline Find More Posts by aussie slowman
Old Jan 04, 2002, 05:33 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Erica

I saw one of those things hop years ago at our gym. This was on the stock 280 motor recommended by HL and a 7 cell 350 Nicad pack. 8 cells didn't seem to help much. I think the suggestion of a Speed 300 is a good one, but the HL version is kind of pricey. The GWS is an option, but it may not fit well. Other options are the Black Diamond 301 from Dave Thacker- I think it's a little pricey too for what you get, but c'est la vie. Your best bet may be to go to the MJ gearboxes with BB for a Speed 300 and a separate motor- half the price of the 350 Drive. Also, you won't need anything more than HS-55 servos and the smallest receiver you can find. Pixie 7 speed controls work well. In terms of batteries if you want to go to 720 NiMH's you've got to hack- they won't fit in the battery box. I suspect you'll be fine on the 7 cell 350 nicad pack- might even be OK on a 6 cell pack. It really doesn't need a heck of a lot more than the 280 to fly, and you should be careful of the weight. Note that the Speed 300 motor weighs a little more than the Speed 280 so it probably won't need noseweight. And letting the model hang from its wingtips to get some more dihedral is a good idea- the model needs it.

Good luck

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jan 04, 2002, 05:38 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Erica, I don't have the Dr1 but do have a Robbe Stearman about the same weight and it flies well with the HL specified Power 350 gear drive and 1000mah Nimh 8 cell packs.

Since this thread has been revived and all other sources of Dr1's seem to be dead ends, do you have a source or know where to get one? Didn't see one listed at Kellett's?

Thank you,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Last edited by Basketcase; Jan 04, 2002 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 06:59 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2001
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Basketcase
Hi Erica, I don't have the Dr1 but do have a Robbe Stearman about the same weight and it flies well with the HL specified Power 350 gear drive and 1000mah Nimh 8 cell packs.

Since this thread has been revived and all other sources of Dr1's seem to be dead ends, do you have a source or know where to get one? Didn't see one listed at Kellett's?

Thank you,

BC
Hi BC,
I did come across one site that was advertising them. But when I wrote to them about the model. They said they did not have stock. I have also been told that Simprop does not make them anymore . I have no idea why for!!! As I think they are an awesome model. I would dearly love to get another one myself! But I guess the only way to do that is to find someone who has old stock. Other than that I guess the only thing we can hope for is that someone else will make this model! I have not started to put mine together yet. But hope to in the near future. I will let you all know how it flies when I get around to it .

Thanks to all those who took the time to reply!

Regards
Erica.
CybaGirl is offline Find More Posts by CybaGirl
Old Jan 12, 2002, 07:54 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,768 Posts
Erica;

I want one too. I have their Pfalz D3, and it looks so awesome in the air! If you ever find a source of more than one, please make it known.

By the way, I used a M100 motor in the Pfalz - very successful.
Robert Stinson is online now Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Jan 12, 2002, 08:24 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Erica,
You were lucky to get one. I wish you luck in building and flying it. Apparently it's a classic. I ordered one from the UK and here's the latest.
"Ordered on 1st jan my order came but no Fokker phoner supplier temporaly out of stock expect supply soon; will keep this ongoing if you wish ."
I told him to keep trying and have my fingers crossed.

SlowBob,
I saw your post and have saved it. It's an interesting concept.

RB
Old Jan 12, 2002, 10:35 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,070 Posts
Erica, I have had the Simprop DR I Triplane for over 2 years and have about 220 flights on it. My original motor, a speed 280 geared 4:1 wasn't enough power. Here is my current setup. Graupner speed 300 with a 5:1 BB gearbox swinging an APC 10x4.7 slow prop on a 7 cell 500mah nimh pack. All from Hobby Lobby. I have also installed a GWS R4P receiver and 2 Hitec HS 55 servos and a Castle Creations Pixie 14 controler. All that works just fine, and the model will ROG or hand launch with ease.
The only thing wrong with the instructions is that they say to balance the model 50 mm back from the leading edge of the top wing. DON"T DO IT ! It will be tail heavy due to the pendulum effect. Balance it at 10 to 15 mm from the leading edge of the middle wing. Please trust me on this. I had to add 1.5 ounces of lead to the nose to get mine to balance correctly, and I also had to put in 8 1/2 degrees of right thrust to get it to fly straight. Now it is a dream to fly. Good luck with yours, and feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions. Tom Smith CD, Rhinebeck Jamboree.
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Last edited by Tom Smith; Jan 12, 2002 at 10:41 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 02:55 AM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
G'day Erica -- just a thought Leon at modelflight in SA has a horejsi three blader (also comes as 2 balde) that might do the trick?
worthwile giving him a call?
aussie slowman is offline Find More Posts by aussie slowman