HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2013, 12:04 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
Build Log
No Scratchbuilding to see here - HT Flip FPV Build

There will be very little scratch building here, but I like this sub-forum and don't want my build log to be drowned in pages of Phantom Threads... So its going here!

I picked this baby up off of the Classifieds. A local was selling it, and it was worth the 2 hour round trip to pick it up. Its got 1000kv NTM motors, 30a TBS SimonK ESC's on a Hoverthings Flip FPV Frame. It came with a Naze32 flight controller, but I have had a RCTimer APM 2.5 sitting on the shelf waiting, so that is what will be flying on it.

Here's a couple pictures of it

The good stuff, APM - RX - GPS

Electronics mounted to the frame using Rubber Isolation Mounts:

Plenty of room up front for all my FPV Gear:
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Last edited by AcroFPV; Jun 12, 2013 at 03:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2013, 12:04 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
So I added some props, and took it out for a maiden and it did surprisingly well. It was flying with some balanced 10x4.7 APC props. After some quick PID adjustments on pitch/roll... i set off to see how long I could fly with an old 2200 3s. Almost 7 minutes before my Voltage alarm sounded (set at 3.5v). I love how stiff the arms on this frame are. Almost no vibration makes it back to the APM and my keychain camera resulted in 'near Jello-Free video.

However, after a 7 minute flight with the 2200, i strapped my 3700mah battery on, and went to test more advanced features like Altitude hold & position hold.... after 40 seconds and an attempt to test altitude hold, I came back inside with 2 broken props and a little less dignity. Its clear I have a lot more tuning ahead of me :face

So as I wait for more props, I am spending some time to fight vibrations. Even though the frame is stiff, its still not 100% vibration free, and the APM is extremely picky. So i am using a method a friend of mine uses on his APM, and turns out to work very well.

The foam under the APM board is some dense stuff and is used by nitro RC guys to isolate vibrations from their fuel tanks. The foam under the RX & my FPV battery is just some left over foam from my hardcase. The FPV Battery should add enough weight to the plate to keep it stable. I ran a datalog on the accelerometer with the rubber mounts and with the foam, and I think the results speak for themselfs

Mind you this is just a test of the frame on my desk with no props, and just playing with the throttle. A datalog in flight will tell me more.

I just need to figure out how im going to secure the foam to the body plates, then add props and fly again :bacon

Old Jun 02, 2013, 01:33 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
Here's some video of its maiden flight:

ArduCopter 3.0.0rc3 Maiden (3 min 13 sec)

I was shocked at how smooth the video turned out. Its just my Keychain Cam taped to the frame using electrical tape.

I still have some more tuning to do, then I can start installing FPV gear
Old Jun 08, 2013, 11:58 AM
32 ft/sec^2 sucks
Joined Nov 2006
171 Posts
Looks pretty cool, I just ordered one. I'm moving my electronics from my HT FPV1 over to this frame. Still wrestling with the clean / dirty section idea. May order a second bottom plate to sandwich esc and arms between and the gromit the plate with the camera extension on it. Battery on top and controller and final plate. Have you figured out how to secure the plate over the foam?
yoadrian is offline Find More Posts by yoadrian
Old Jun 08, 2013, 12:02 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,339 Posts
Beautiful rig but it seems odd to me that they'd opt to put the camera mounts on the "dirty" plate.
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:39 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2011
518 Posts
Just when I thought you had your other quad finally tuned. A new adventure huh?
nautique is offline Find More Posts by nautique
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:16 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautique View Post
Just when I thought you had your other quad finally tuned. A new adventure huh?
Yep. This one should put my last quad to shame
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:23 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
So a small update:

I opted to use Double Sided duct-tape to hold the foam pad to the frame. Because I am routing wires, and have my OSD mounted between the frame & APM plates, I did not want to permanently mount the APM plate to the foam. So I am using rubber bands to hold the plate firmly against the foam.

Everything is wired, I just need to plug in my FPV camera, and make sure I get video to the ground. I got a box full of GemFan Carbon/Nylon props but of course every single one of them are horribly out of balance. Hopefully I can balance a set today, and start with the Tuning
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:08 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
Ok so I wasn't very satisfied with the NTM motors, and APM (even though very powerful) was just not the route I wanted to take with this. So I decided to do a complete tear-down and re-build, keeping the ESC's and frame but getting rid of everything else.

Fast forward to today, and here's where im at. Im going to call this my Quad Queen! She's only getting the BEST! So back and ready for more... here she is.

Flip FPV Frame with 500 series Heli Landing Gear.
SunnySky 980KV VerII motors.
TBS 30a SimonK Flashed ESC's
HK 5v super-duper-BEC
5000mah 20c Zippy 3S

FPV-ready.... with:
1280mhz vTX
600TVL Sony WDR SecurityCam.
MinimOSD
800mah 3S

Waiting for, but should be here any day now:
Flip32+ flight controller with MAG, BARO & all the other standard stuff.
uBlox GPS

so without further ado, my Quad Queen!

Waiting for Brains:

Underside:

Get your FPV awn!

Her backside with custom GPS protection pod, FPV Battery & fancy FrSky antenna routing

MinimOSD sandwiched between frame plates. Its tight, but there's plenty of breathing room in there.

Important stuff that needs to be plugged into Flight Controller

This time next week I hope to have it fully tuned & able to test range.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:29 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Mind if I ask why you decided to get rid of the apm 2.5? Love the look of this frame!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:13 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
Mind if I ask why you decided to get rid of the apm 2.5? Love the look of this frame!
ArduPilot/ArduCopter does too much. There's more room for failure, and i have seen a couple more "fly-away" threads on the APM than i felt comfortable with. This quad will be for FPV only, and I will not require autonomous flight or any gps assisted flight modes. Plus I am intrigued with this 32bit flight controller movement, and the possibilities, so I capitalized on the price of the APM, sold it and bought my 32bit stuff and some motors that were worth a damn.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:27 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,339 Posts
Love the rig. You'll love those motors, keep it close to 1200g and I bet you see 15min flight times with that battery. Other than the frame, camera, and 32bit I'm running all the same stuff, working my way toward a frame like that.
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:10 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
Love the rig. You'll love those motors, keep it close to 1200g and I bet you see 15min flight times with that battery. Other than the frame, camera, and 32bit I'm running all the same stuff, working my way toward a frame like that.
Im worried about the AUW with this battery and these motors. I love these motors, i used them on my last build. But my last build used a 3700mah that was slightly lighter than this 5000, and that other quad was no rocket and required 83% throttle to maintain altitude while forward flight. But I did get 9+ min of FPV on my last build, so with this one i am hoping to break into to 12-15min range.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:01 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,473 Posts
Any more video and how about a screen shot, of your settings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
So a small update:

I opted to use Double Sided duct-tape to hold the foam pad to the frame. Because I am routing wires, and have my OSD mounted between the frame & APM plates, I did not want to permanently mount the APM plate to the foam. So I am using rubber bands to hold the plate firmly against the foam.

Everything is wired, I just need to plug in my FPV camera, and make sure I get video to the ground. I got a box full of GemFan Carbon/Nylon props but of course every single one of them are horribly out of balance. Hopefully I can balance a set today, and start with the Tuning
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:22 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
Any more video and how about a screen shot, of your settings?
Nope.

I got rid of APM and right now am waiting for a Flip32+ from witespy.