SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2013, 06:01 PM
Ireland, Dublin, Dublin City
Joined May 2013
39 Posts
Discussion
500m range from futaba 14sg, is this normal?

Futaba 14sg, r6303sb receiver on DJI Phantom.
Receiver antennas, one goes down the leg, other on the arm to motor (90degrees to each other)
Loosing signal at around 500 meters, line of sight with few trees in between, partially blocking the way but not fully.
Any ideas what might be wrong or how can I fix this?
I am flying phantom fpv and want to get at least a good mile range. Is this achievable with what I have?
oktay is offline Find More Posts by oktay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2013, 11:43 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
How is transmitter antenna ?
For this flight style all must be vertical, the 90 degrees rule no more apply, it was issued for acrobatic/3D flight.
The rule is simple: at any time, at least one the receiver antennas must be parallel and not collinear with Tx antenna.
The low altitude characteristic of multicopter flight can limit the range, read wiki about Fresnel zone.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 02, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined May 2013
39 Posts
Thanks for your reply renatoa. one antenna vertical, other one parallel but this should not make any difference as only one antenna is active at any time, the one with the highest signal.
Antenna on transmitter is parallel to the ground, I tried vertical too but did not make any difference.
At this stage I am wondering if r6303sb is not a good receiver for long range (it says it is a micro full range receiver on Futaba site) or if transmitter/receiver is faulty.
That is why I wanted to hear others experience with this equipment.
Any one?
Old Jun 02, 2013, 01:25 PM
Slovenia (odranci)
Joined Nov 2006
143 Posts
500m is just not good enough. Try different receiver.
skorp_jon is offline Find More Posts by skorp_jon
Old Jun 02, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Mar 2008
155 Posts
Range is seriously affected by the power to the receiver such as switching power supplies or BEC's. Just as an experiment use a battery pack with no regulator at all.
Four Stroker is offline Find More Posts by Four Stroker
Old Jun 03, 2013, 12:29 PM
manchester in uk
Joined Jan 2008
204 Posts
I've just come back from maidening my z1 flying wing useing the futaba r6203sb fasst 3ch/high speed rx with my new 14sg,the glider is just under 2meters and had it like a lttle dot in the sky, i wanted to see what range the 14sg was like,and so far a great radio
julian
rampage ds is offline Find More Posts by rampage ds
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:55 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,245 Posts
We tested this combo yesterday, we ran out of room at 1.1 miles on a straight road. No problems at all.

Doug
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Jun 06, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined May 2013
39 Posts
Tried a different receiver... same problem
hecked the voltage input, 5.5V, should be sufficient for this receiver.
I also asked the question to Futaba, see what they say.

which combo Doug? 1.1 mile is stunning compared what I get.
Old Jun 06, 2013, 03:13 PM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
By any chance are you also running a video transmitter?
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Jun 06, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined May 2013
39 Posts
Yeah I do have an FPV
5.8GHz...
I tried without it too though, no difference.
Old Jun 08, 2013, 04:38 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Make sure you're not taping your antennas right onto the legs, they need space. Fuel tubing is a good tool to use to guide antennas out of the way
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCPilot1234; Jun 08, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 08:33 PM
wkj
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Apr 2013
137 Posts
a little late to join this party, but I have an issue too:

my question is about how far my Matrix quad is when I start to lose telemetry signal. I have a Futaba 14SG Long Range Transmitter (14-Channel) & R7008SB 2-Way Receiver (8-Channel) setup. My batteries are always fully charged, my Tx antenna is standard, but it is never pointed at the Matrix, and my Rx antennas are set up as sent to me by Wowhobbies... after about 1.5 inches in parallel, they separate at a 90 degree angle for about 3.5 inches. The entire antenna wire is covered with rubber or a coating of some sort although it tapers at the end. One antenna hangs about 1.5 inches off of the quad and the other one is lying directly on the carbon fiber frame with only about 1/2 inch off the quad.

I was told and it's advertised on the Wow site that this set up should allow me to go over 1 mile out: "Ultra Reliable Standard & Long Distance of 1 to 1.2 Mile (Upgradable for even longer range". That does not seem to be the case for me.

I'm on a clear field, unobstructed view about 1/2 mile long and fly at about 300 feet. At that point, the bars on my Futaba really start to disappear, and in fact totally disappear at times. If the Matrix is facing home, it happens faster (antennas away from home).

Any ideas why my range is so short? thanks...
wkj is offline Find More Posts by wkj
Old Jan 09, 2014, 03:26 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktay View Post
Futaba 14sg, r6303sb receiver on DJI Phantom.
Receiver antennas, one goes down the leg, other on the arm to motor (90degrees to each other)
Loosing signal at around 500 meters, line of sight with few trees in between, partially blocking the way but not fully.
Any ideas what might be wrong or how can I fix this?
I am flying phantom fpv and want to get at least a good mile range. Is this achievable with what I have?
two week ago a guy at our field has had the same issue! In his case, the problem was the TX.
We test the RX with two 14SG, one work perfectly above 800 meters (with the airplane on the ground and teh TX in the car) the other stop to work after 400 meters.
rillo75 is online now Find More Posts by rillo75
Old Jan 09, 2014, 06:05 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
104 Posts
one question:
how many hours of work has the TX ?
rillo75 is online now Find More Posts by rillo75
Last edited by rillo75; Jan 09, 2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 06:54 AM
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2002
1,027 Posts
I'd bet it is your receiver antenna placement. Multirotors are hard to place antennas on with all of the carbon and electronics putting out noise.
ncrego is offline Find More Posts by ncrego