HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Vacuum Bagging Made Easy - a 2 Disk DVD

Phil Barnes is an expert in the field of vacuum bagging composite model aircraft wings. Many of us wonder what it takes to produce wings that are Phil's caliber. What equipment to use, what paint, which types of fabric and epoxy to purchase, are just some of the questions we need answered. Bill Haymaker, along with Phil Barnes, has produced an exciting 2-disk DVD set that shows in detail every step in the production process of vacuum bagging composite wings and tails.

Splash

How much is ten years of experience worth to you? A college education costs tens of thousands of dollars these days. When you complete four to five years' worth of classes, labs, and assignments, you are still at an entry-level position in your particular field. It takes years of practice using specific methods to become an expert in a field.

Phil Barnes is an expert in the field of vacuum bagging composite model aircraft wings. Phil has spent years learning and perfecting his talents. He has spent thousands of hours refining his craft and is the best-known manufacturer in the eastern United States and perhaps the entire continent. His products are distributed by Northeast Sailplane Products (NSP), Pole Cat Aeroplane Works, and direct from Phil. If you've attended any large contest in the U.S. you've seen Phil's work. Some of his handiwork includes NSP's Fusion, Edge, SchpotDorker, Lil' Dork, to name a few. Phil also produces wings for Pole Cat Aeroplane Works, such as the new XP3 wings.

Notice the cores on the left. There is a relief cut below the joiner receiver tube hole to allow the addition of a wood or carbon spar.

Many of us wonder what it takes to produce wings that are Phil's caliber. What equipment to use, what paint, which types of fabric and epoxy to purchase, are just some of the questions we need answered. Bill Haymaker, along with Phil Barnes, has produced an exciting 2-disk DVD set that shows in detail every step in the production process of vacuum bagging composite wings and tails.

Hot wire cuts for the joiner receiver tube and servo wire channel are cut cleanly in the foam panel. The servo wire channel shown is "old style." For the "new style" you'll have to see the video.

Now there are no more secrets! Never before has this type of information been supplied in such a concise, easy to understand format. Thanks to the efforts of Bill and Phil, complete information on Phil's techniques is available to anyone with access to a computer.

Here is what a master's work looks like. Phil explains how to achieve the separation of the Kevlar from the carbon in the video. He is truly a master craftsman.

It is not my intention to try to repeat the information contained in the DVD, but to tell you why you should consider investing in this product. If you have a desire to learn how to vacuum bag your own wings and stabilizers, you can't afford to be without this DVD.

Like many of you, I have tried vacuum bagging my own wings and tails. Some came out acceptable, but many were best used as examples of what not to do. Even with long distance help available, there were still shortcomings in my final products. It seemed I followed my teachings to the letter, yet the finished product still wasn't coming out as good as I expected. After viewing this DVD set, my work took a quantum leap and yours can too!

The DVD set starts with an introduction of Phil Barnes, what products he manufactures, and reason and scope of what and why the DVD was produced. Phil discusses in detail the specific materials he uses, why he uses those specific materials or brands, and where to get these items. Phil takes you from raw foam and fiberglass to finished products, as you would receive them in a kit.

Phil manufactures his wings in groups. Here is some of his handiwork. On the right are sets of NSP Fusion wings. Fusion wings can be identified by the yellow Kevlar on the back third of the wing panels.

The first disk takes you from raw materials, foam, fiberglass, carbon and epoxy, through foam cutting blanks, cores, spar and wire channels. Phil shows how to achieve virtually perfect fitting root ribs, join multiple panels, and extend spar slots. Disk one ends with cutting fabric and Mylar, and by performing the actual lay-up on a Fusion unlimited size sailplane wing. You might consider the first half of disk one as preparation steps and the second half of disk one "meat and potatoes" as it were.

Disk two is where we get wings into and out of the bag. After removing the wings from the vacuum bags, Phil shows exactly how he final trims the leading and trailing edges, cuts servo holes, releases the flying surfaces on the non skin-hinge side, and how to improve hinge flexibility when using Kevlar skin hinges.

Now that the entire process has been completed on an unlimited size plane, Phil goes above and beyond by explaining differences in lay-up and techniques used to produce Discus Launch Glider (DLG) wings, 3 Meter tails, 2 Meter Laser wings, slope wings, and more! Disk 2 ends with one of my favorite parts - Bloopers!

There is no reason a newcomer couldn't produce acceptable results after viewing this DVD set. These procedures aren't limited to sailplanes or flying surfaces. Electric models, power airplanes, control line airplanes, even free flight airplanes can use this technology.

Phil uses phenolic templates to achieve accurate cuts in the foam. On the left are templates to cut the joiner receiver tube hole. Phil airfoil templates are on the right. The bottom of the surface is cut first, then the upper template is placed on the lower template to cut the upper surface.

So I ask you again, how much is 10 years of vacuum bagging composite experience worth to you? The DVD set sells for $55 plus shipping and provides over 10 years worth of expert experience. Trust me, I've wasted more than $61 worth of time and materials to end up with "perfect" bad examples! Save yourself time, money, and energy! If you are interested in learning the process of vacuum bagging composite wings and tails, this set is for you.

Currently the set is produced in DVD+RW format, which is compatible with many newer DVD players. In the near future, DVD's will be available in DVD-R format allowing viewing on older DVD players.

The 2 disk set runs over four an a half hours and contains virtually every bit of knowledge you'll need to achieve successful results on your first try. Phil is available via email to your answer your questions (PhilipDBarnes(at)aol.com). The set is currently not produced in PAL format, however several copies have been sent outside the United States with no problems reported. Be sure to check your DVD player's instruction manual for compatibility.

Convinced? Good! Vacuum Bagging Made Easy is available from Bill Haymaker at: http://www.paonline.com/hayman/video.htm Forms of payment include checks, Money Orders and Paypal

http://www.polecataero.com
http://www.nesail.com

Editor's Note: Be sure to visit the review of the second of Bill Hayman's instructional videos, Composite Molding Made Easy with Terry Luckenbach!

Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2013, 05:24 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2009
450 Posts
http://home.paonline.com/hayman/PAGE2.htm
Timthetoolman is offline Find More Posts by Timthetoolman
Old Sep 05, 2013, 12:14 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
Great video set! I have it. Phil explains everything to the finest detail.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 15, 2014, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Help Please

Can Anyone Please Help Me Get A Set Of These DVD's Please, I Have Been Trying For Years, And I Always Miss Them, I would Be Grateful To Anyone Who Would Help Me Get a Set Of Thes Please Thanks Dave... Texant6@yahoo.com Or 806-620-9720
Pilot Dave is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Dave
Old Feb 15, 2014, 06:15 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,190 Posts
Follow the link, then PayPal and they will be on the way.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 17, 2014, 08:55 AM
CPA 30, SPA 523
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2009
450 Posts
I talked to them when I posted the link above, they are available. Like Joe said, just click the paypal link and that's it.

Tim
Timthetoolman is offline Find More Posts by Timthetoolman
Old Jul 02, 2014, 04:49 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
I confirmed again today that the videos are available at this link.
http://home.paonline.com/hayman/PAGE2.htm
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr