SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2013, 02:22 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Cool
Betcha Never Seen a HK550 Look Like This!!

So over the weekend, my wife decided to take some pictures of my HK550TT for me. I was surprised with the results. What do you guys think?

Here are the specs on it:
DS610 - Cyclic
DS650 - Rudder
AR7200BX
Scorpion 4025-1100
Castle ICE 100
CC BEC Pro
mrmj2u is offline Find More Posts by mrmj2u
Last edited by mrmj2u; May 30, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2013, 02:32 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,739 Posts
Looks sharp...This is the one you have up for sale right ? ( 7th pic is the best )
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old May 29, 2013, 02:51 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
dej this is for sale? link please? I'd like to know the specs. What dampers is he using, gyro,etc
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old May 29, 2013, 03:24 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,264 Posts
OMG, that thing is gorgeous! I know exactly what helicopter I am going for next, and that is definitely it. That canopy is friggen awesome too!
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old May 29, 2013, 04:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Looks sharp...This is the one you have up for sale right ? ( 7th pic is the best )
Hey Deja! I was going to sell it, but no one was biting... I think I may have overbuilt it... So I took it down for now...

Thanks guys!

My wife took some pics of my 600 CHP also... Let me know if you would like to see those also... They came out very nice!
Old May 29, 2013, 06:22 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,739 Posts
Saw your other pics mrmj2u, You did a great job. Very sleek lqqking helis.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Jun 02, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:05 AM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,967 Posts
Spend more to upgrade HK junk so it could be like a geniune Align that costs less?

Kinda like upgrading a Tamiya TT-01 with carbon fiber and aluminum parts...lol.
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old May 30, 2013, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Spend more to upgrade HK junk so it could be like a geniune Align that costs less?

So its not your cup of tea... Why even comment?
Old Jun 02, 2013, 04:22 AM
A&P in training
Joined Dec 2008
1,264 Posts
Quote:

I've got 150 successful flights with my HK "junk" that flies just as well as a Trex 450 Pro that would cost twice as much.
If you know what you're doing, these HK's are just as capable as the Aligns just way cheaper.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 05:19 AM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,967 Posts
You're living in a fantasy world if you believe a completely stock HK 450 junk kit assembles just as well let alone flies as well as an Align supercombo kit. The numerous horror stories that are out there aren't made up...lol. If you take a stock HK 450 clone to the 3D Masters it'll most likely fall apart after the first round of competition...lol. I'm sorry but polishing a turd just makes it a more shiny turd like the example you see here. HK kits are just like all the other low quality clone kits that have fit, finish, function issues. It's a known fact...no point in being in denial. Also don't know where you buy your 450 Pros but they hardly cost twice if you're talking about using the same electronics instead of some cheap crap electronics. If it quacks like a duck...
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Jun 02, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 09:54 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
You're living in a fantasy world if you believe a completely stock HK 450 junk kit assembles just as well let alone flies as well as an Align supercombo kit. The numerous horror stories that are out there aren't made up...lol.
85% of those stories may not have been made up, but in fact have a lot to do with people just starting out and really not knowing very well what to pay extra attention to when building clones or infact not know how to properly build for that matter. Some other issues are related to electronics or the setup of the helicopter. You might not be the tinkering type guy. Good for you, but that doesn't mean the clones can't fly well. In fact, when it comes to 3D masters, you should do a search for the KDS Innova series and you'll see how well a well executed 'clone' does in competition.

The point of buying a clone is usually that you save money by not buying the Align or similar type electronics. If you want the Align stuff, then just save up money and buy the combos as that will be less expensive for sure.

But even the Align kits will have to be build and setup properly.

I've got both clones and Align kits and honestly there isn't that much of an overall quality difference (yes Align screws suck too!), except maybe in longetivity (and finish) of certain parts (clone type drive shafts and tail hubs are notorious for breaking/slipping/failing far too soon, swap them out!).

I do swap out parts for Align whenever required and that still makes it far less expensive than an Align kit. Add decent electronics to it, especially a good flybarless gyro and it will in fact rival an Align combo as the electronics determine most of how well a helicopter can fly.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Jun 02, 2013, 10:32 AM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
85% of those stories may not have been made up, but in fact have a lot to do with people just starting out and really not knowing very well what to pay extra attention to when building clones or infact not know how to properly build for that matter. Some other issues are related to electronics or the setup of the helicopter. You might not be the tinkering type guy. Good for you, but that doesn't mean the clones can't fly well. In fact, when it comes to 3D masters, you should do a search for the KDS Innova series and you'll see how well a well executed 'clone' does in competition.

The point of buying a clone is usually that you save money by not buying the Align or similar type electronics. If you want the Align stuff, then just save up money and buy the combos as that will be less expensive for sure.

But even the Align kits will have to be build and setup properly.

I've got both clones and Align kits and honestly there isn't that much of an overall quality difference (yes Align screws suck too!), except maybe in longetivity (and finish) of certain parts (clone type drive shafts and tail hubs are notorious for breaking/slipping/failing far too soon, swap them out!).

I do swap out parts for Align whenever required and that still makes it far less expensive than an Align kit. Add decent electronics to it, especially a good flybarless gyro and it will in fact rival an Align combo as the electronics determine most of how well a helicopter can fly.
Flying well when new is one thing flying well over and over when durability comes into play is another story. This is when the genuine parts make a difference. Also buying genuine "spares" to build-up your clone is kinda stupid because spares always cost more when purchase separately. They're always cheaper when included in the kit...that's why when you buy an Align super combo you save a ton of money versus buying a "cheap" clone just to build it up with expensive Align spares.

As for the KDS Logo clones that's really the exception to the rule not to mention they aren't "cheap" like the other Trex clone "junk" out on the market. They cost a bit of money actually. In fact they cost just as much as a geniune Align or JR or Beam kit....so they might just as well design and sell their own unique helis.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 03:49 PM
A&P in training
Joined Dec 2008
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Flying well when new is one thing flying well over and over when durability comes into play is another story. This is when the genuine parts make a difference. Also buying genuine "spares" to build-up your clone is kinda stupid because spares always cost more when purchase separately. They're always cheaper when included in the kit...that's why when you buy an Align super combo you save a ton of money versus buying a "cheap" clone just to build it up with expensive Align spares.

As for the KDS Logo clones that's really the exception to the rule not to mention they aren't "cheap" like the other Trex clone "junk" out on the market. They cost a bit of money actually. In fact they cost just as much as a geniune Align or JR or Beam kit....so they might just as well design and sell their own unique helis.

All of you "clone bashers" seem to have the general idea that every single part on the clone needs to be swapped out with "Align" parts to make it a good flying machine. All I put we're a main gear and a main shaft and it flies like a dream with everything else being stock. Like I said if you know what you are doing and how to do it, what to look for and listen for, you will not have any problems. I would happily build a clone kit all over again in a heartbeat. Everybody has their own opinion and is certainly entitled to it, but "Don't knock it 'til you try it" should be considered. I mean, nobody knocked you for buying an Esky D700 which imo is pretty close to a Blade 450 "clone" after all.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 04:12 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTREA1 View Post
All of you "clone bashers" seem to have the general idea that every single part on the clone needs to be swapped out with "Align" parts to make it a good flying machine. All I put we're a main gear and a main shaft and it flies like a dream with everything else being stock. Like I said if you know what you are doing and how to do it, what to look for and listen for, you will not have any problems. I would happily build a clone kit all over again in a heartbeat. Everybody has their own opinion and is certainly entitled to it, but "Don't knock it 'til you try it" should be considered. I mean, nobody knocked you for buying an Esky D700 which imo is pretty close to a Blade 450 "clone" after all.
I don't need to waste money on a crappy HK junk 450 clone to know it has quality and fitment issues compared to a genuine Align which I have owned. In fact I'm building a 250 clone myself from CopterX so I do have first hand knowledge regarding fitment and quality issues. Thing is I'm not going to replace a bunch of MAIN parts with genuine Align ones to get it to perform like an Align, nor am I going to put a bunch of high quality electronics in it. I'm not stupid or delusional. It's a junk heli used for practice so I don't expect it to last or perform like the real thing.

As for the Esky, last time I checked they've been making helis WAY longer than Eflite...not to mention the Blade 450 3D and 450 X have their motors mounted from above...*facepalm*. Esky have never made any clones of a more expensive make...lol. Of course grasping at straws is what I'd expect from someone who actually believes his junk clone performs just as good as the real thing with only changing out a main gear. Maybe you should take your junk clone and compete in the next 3D Masters.
Last edited by TheKingPhisher; Jun 02, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
I don't need to waste money on a crappy HK junk 450 clone to know it has quality and fitment issues compared to a genuine Align which I have owned. In fact I'm building a 250 clone myself from CopterX so I do have first hand knowledge regarding fitment and quality issues. Thing is I'm not going to replace a bunch of MAIN parts with genuine Align ones to get it to perform like an Align, nor am I going to put a bunch of high quality electronics in it. I'm not stupid or delusional. It's a junk heli used for practice so I don't expect it to last or perform like the real thing.

As for the Esky, last time I checked they've been making helis WAY longer than Eflite...not to mention the Blade 450 3D and 450 X have their motors mounted from above...*facepalm*. Esky have never made any clones of a more expensive make...lol. Of course grasping at straws is what I'd expect from someone who actually believes his junk clone performs just as good as the real thing with only changing out a main gear. Maybe you should take your junk clone and compete in the next 3D Masters.
Dude, why are you so angry? You come into my thread and bash my heli... You call it a polished turd... Have you taken a look at my build log? I know that clones are not the best helis out there, but you know what? Clones can be built to fly very well. My 550 has been reinforced, it has some genuine Align parts where the originals were insufficient or where I wanted to change the look of my Heli, I did so with Align or other brand parts. So what does that prove? It proves that I did pay more for my helicopter than I would have if I purchased a supercombo... But my helicopter is upgraded beyond that of a normal Align SuperCombo.

I chose the HK kit because I don't like the idea of purchasing a kit that includes a bunch of crap parts that I don't want... Underpowered ESC with a builtin BEC(who flies even a 500 class Heli without an external BEC?!), Low power motor, Crappy 3gx FBL gyro... By the time I replaced those parts, with the parts that I used... Castle ICE 100, Scorpion 4025-1100, Castel BEC Pro, and Spectrum AR7200BX... I would have far exceeded what I paid to build my HK...

When I created this cost comparison, I didn't factor in the new canopy or the colored fins...

At the end of the day, I could bring my machine to the 3D masters and I'm sure that it would NOT fall apart as you put it.

Last upgrade I'm making is to the motor mount which is built for the 30mm mount holes on the Scorpion.

Get off your soapbox dude.