HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2013, 01:10 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Question
Best 500 or 550 size heli to buy

Hi all
I'm interested in buying a 500 or 550 size helicopter and was just wondering which is the best to buy.
Thanks much!!
Nringleman44 is offline Find More Posts by Nringleman44
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2013, 02:16 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Sep 2012
49 Posts
Golin, mikado, align, in that order. At that size it comes down to electronics.
SirSolo is offline Find More Posts by SirSolo
Old May 27, 2013, 03:28 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,004 Posts
I don't have experience of any helis other than Align, so I can't say which are better or worse. But what I would say is, I believe you should look at spares availability, either locally or by mail order, before deciding what to get. Also, if you're new to helis, you might want to look for what your local store is selling, so that they can set it up and test fly it for you -- hopefully you have a local store with experienced heli flyers in it.

As for size, I started with a 500 and last year got a 550. The 500 handles the wind well enough that I hardly had any days where I couldn't get some practice in. The 550 obviously handles the wind even better, but it'll cost twice as much when I crash, so perhaps not advisable for a beginner.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 27, 2013, 09:34 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Check out the Compass Atom 500... can be stretched to 550 using the factory supplied stretch kit. It might not be the latest and greatest but the design has been proven through the years. Parts are readily available from ProStarHobby.com, RCHeliCanada.com among others.
cyclo is offline Find More Posts by cyclo
Old May 29, 2013, 04:09 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined May 2013
395 Posts
Hi all, first post as a forum newb who had lurked long enough.

~OP~ As your looking at the possibility of a 550 size (might mean you'll go bigger again if ya like it) then id look at the Synergy E5...a true 550 that if you do decide bigger is best then you can stretch the 550 to a 600 with a few minor changes.

Its a quality built product, great customer service & support, built "by a pilot for pilots" and requires NO bling from the outset. You can start out as a 6S power source and progress to 12S later. (or just go 12s if ya wants)

It is a TT unit tho, some like em some don't and if you don't like TT then id suggest the BEAM AvantGarde 600 (Beam needs a 5/550 class imo) as again, can be flown in either battery configuration above, tho does do better as a 12S. The Beam is a Belt Drive as well. Again NO bling required and BOTH products stand out in a crowd of Trex's (not knocking..just lots of em about is all). My $0.02c(Aus) lol

Oh, and both these units have low crash cost/parts count also

Whatever you choose, good luck with it and post back your final decision huh?

BTW...these are my own opinions of seeing both and owning one of the above, i receive no benefit from my view on this matter.

Regards
scanner62
scanner62 is online now Find More Posts by scanner62
Last edited by scanner62; May 29, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 29, 2013, 04:11 PM
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
918 Posts
Gaui X5!!!
Steve Joblin is online now Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Old May 29, 2013, 04:20 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined May 2013
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nringleman44 View Post
Hi all
I'm interested in buying a 500 or 550 size helicopter and was just wondering which is the best to buy.
Thanks much!!
Sorry OP..my post above was presumptive. What style of flying are you after?
If it is scale i would recommend another route to consider.

My bad, sorry

Regards
scanner62
scanner62 is online now Find More Posts by scanner62
Old May 29, 2013, 08:02 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nringleman44 View Post
Hi all
Thanks much!!
I'm in the same boat and looking for a bit more then what Align has to offer this time around. ( align is a nice middle of the road brand ) I'm considering the Gaui X4 II or the Goblin 500.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/gau...t-p-11787.html

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...s-Yellow-Black Use the 10% off coupon for $584

Nice but not expensive is the Protos 500. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Fiber-Blades
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; May 29, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 02:25 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Don't overlook the Atom either as mentioned above. The Goblin is nice but plagued with belt/tail vibe issues that cannot be addressed. RCheliCanada dropped the entire Sab line due to poor Sab factory support for consumers also. Keep in mind I own a Goblin.

I second the choices of the Protos or Gaui.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old May 30, 2013, 02:47 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
659 Posts
X5 or Atom 500, i've had both

X5 is more of a 550

Atom 500 is so simple.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old May 30, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post

Atom 500 is so simple.
Yeah, I have setup a few Atoms for guys and have also flown them. They perform flawlessly. Crazy easy heli to build and maintain also with arguably the best head design in the industry. Yet still have that sloppy tail grip issue from the plastic, yet they fly so well. I don't like the way they extend the tail stab down so far either. On the ones I setup we stuffed Align 600 stabs in place that were shortened so the stab doesn't sit on the ground when the heli is on its skids.
Old May 30, 2013, 04:00 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Don't overlook the Atom either as mentioned above. The Goblin is nice but plagued with belt/tail vibe issues that cannot be addressed. RCheliCanada dropped the entire Sab line due to poor Sab factory support for consumers also. Keep in mind I own a Goblin.

I second the choices of the Protos or Gaui.

Damn..Damn...Damn I start to pick the warp 360 and it has issues..I then lean to the G500 and it has issues..I just cant win

Hows the Gaui X4II looking ? any issues surface yet ?
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old May 30, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Damn..Damn...Damn I start to pick the warp 360 and it has issues..I then lean to the G500 and it has issues..I just cant win

Hows the Gaui X4II looking ? any issues surface yet ?
Just the typical plastic gear issues all the helis have that use them. I wouldn't shy away from the Goblin though. The belt related vibes come in around an amplitude of 5, so they don't upset the fbl systems. It is just that they are there and you can't do didly about them. Which for a super anal perfectionist like me, drives me nuts.

And my modified 420mm stretched Warp is one of my favorite helis to fly now that I have addressed its issues. Faster than any 500, twice as nimble, and full 15 minute flight times at 2650hs while being so quiet you can barely hear it fly? I can live with that.
Old May 30, 2013, 05:40 PM
Munich (Germany)
Joined Oct 2010
219 Posts
For 500, i would go protos or atom 500. The protos is available with flybar if you did not want to invest in FBL gyro

For 550, I would go to X5 lite (flybar, belt drive and fiberglass frame so cheaper to replace) or X5 FES
milliotseb is offline Find More Posts by milliotseb
Old May 30, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Thanks all for the support
I ended up going with the gaui x5 and reason being is because I got a great deal on the combo version and the electronics included with the combo were great.
Nringleman44 is offline Find More Posts by Nringleman44