HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2001, 09:44 AM
Lucas, Texas
Joined Aug 2000
163 Posts
MM+Zagi = Zoom Zoom

I finally got the MM zagi trimed properly and it really goes. I had my doubts in the beginning because I had an APC prop on it and I was not that impressed. Today I got the Aeronaught 6.5x4 and Zoom Zoom. Great Climb and speed. I know the recomended prop is the 6x5 but E.A.M. was out. Its fun to fly the Zagi Again!!

I can't wait to get one stuck in my Pico Jet Combat, Has anyone else got this to work? Looks like I will need to hang the battery pack off the nose of the plane to get the CG in line. Should be fun!

Thanks for all the help from the guys here @ Ezone Will, Z Pat and of course Rob (Slowflyer).
Crash King is offline Find More Posts by Crash King
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2001, 09:56 AM
Worcester, Ma, USA
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
How many cells are you using and what is the amp draw?
maciek is offline Find More Posts by maciek
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:11 AM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,986 Posts
Re: MM+Zagi = Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash King
Looks like I will need to hang the battery pack off the nose of the plane to get the CG in line.
If ya run outa nose, get bigger cells.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:34 AM
Lucas, Texas
Joined Aug 2000
163 Posts
I am running 8 x CP 1300, and about 26 amps static on an analogue meter.

William have you tried the MM in a PJC, It is already heavy as he## and I am worried it will be a flying brick!!. I guess that is better than a non-flying brick! Don't have anything larger than CP1300 or Sub C's. I guess I could attach my 27ah field battery LOL.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 12:24 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
My stock 400X with Multiplex 480 motor is already on the border of being tail heavy with the battery all the way forward. How would you balance it with a MM which is a lot heavier?

How is the CP1300 cells arranged? standing up side by side 2 rows of 4, or regular 2 sticks of 4?

And I guess the MM needs to be the reversed version right?

Thanks.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 30, 2001, 12:33 PM
Lucas, Texas
Joined Aug 2000
163 Posts
I pushed the MM forward until it just clears the rear of the wing. I configured the 1300's laying on their end side by side. It bows the sides of the tray out but I have removed the end (nose) of the tray and put EPP there. Next time I will just make a whole tray out of 2mm Coroplast. It balances fine, actually when I run my 1400AE's it is slightly tail heavy but perfect with the 1300's
Old Nov 30, 2001, 08:34 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
You should try it with a 10x1700 pack. It outperfoms my 8x1300 by a large margin. My current prop is a 7x5. I'm at 5500 feet so I've been playing with some larger props. (I'm not convinced yet that motocalc knows anything about altitude.) I had to put the pack at the very front of the tray and cut out some of the top canopy to fit the end of the pack in it. It looks fairly cool and moves like it's rocket propelled. Full throttle pushes it into the 80mph zone with the zagi flap showing up so I need to reinforce it with some CF spars. I'm putting another MM in my PJC tonight for fun.
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:09 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
It's truly amazing the difference that the Aeronaut prop makes!!

Glad to hear you're having fun. Beware that 10 cells is very hard on the MM. Ryan burned his up after about 25 flights with the 10 cell pack.

My cells are in for the EndoZagi, and I'm going to buy a 10 cell charger tommorrow. It'll be ready for test flying by next weekend.--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:14 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
I took your advice and initially tried the aeronaut 6x5 and it screamed. I'm pushing the edge here with the 7x5 but...okay I'll admit it. I just can't help myself!

I'm very interested in hearing how the EndoZagi performs.
Old Dec 01, 2001, 12:41 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
STOCK Zagi ESC with MM?

Can this be done or am I asking for trouble?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 01, 2001, 09:12 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
You'll probably smoke it very quickly. I would recommend that you get at least a 20 or 30A ESC. The lowest amperage and static thrust that I recorded with the MM was 15A/12oz and that was with a 5.5x4.5 and 8x1700 zagi pack. This was a slightly better performer than a stock zagi in my opinion and wasn't worth the effort. If you put a MM in it, definitely upgrade the ESC then you can start safely playing with different props and packs. The highest I recorded was 36A/30oz thrust with a 7x5 and 10x1700.

I've left it there and love it. As slowflyer has pointed out, Ryan discovered the life of the MM's was rather quick with configurations like this so be prepared. The thread is here
Last edited by mtayl; Dec 01, 2001 at 09:16 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2001, 09:33 AM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,986 Posts
Quote:
William have you tried the MM in a PJC
Nope, never had a PJ,....yet. But what else ya going to do when you run outa 'nose'.
Its either heavier cells or a stick to hang them on.

You could add weight, but that seems like such a waste.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Dec 02, 2001, 08:53 PM
Lucas, Texas
Joined Aug 2000
163 Posts
Watch The speed guys, I blew up my MM Zagi Yesterday. I have three carbon fiber spars glued in with Probond, and it still Flapped and imploded. It was a blast until I got too brave. It was a spec on the horizon, brought it in full power on a dive, lasted about 5 seconds. BTW I tried the same manuver with the Promax 4014 and it held up. Must be the increased weight +speed of the MM setup.

Thats ok, I have it on the table now. Should have it together by tomorrow. I love this Zagi, and I guess that is why I am so mean to it.

There is such a thing as VNE for a Zag, now we are sure of this.

And his name tells the story,
Last edited by Crash King; Dec 02, 2001 at 08:57 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2001, 10:02 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Quote:
I love this Zagi, and I guess that is why I am so mean to it.
Yep. Funny how that works!