KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,791 Posts
Mini-Review
Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx Brushless CP Flybarless Helicopter

Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx Brushless CP Flybarless Helicopter

Introduction

The V922 is my first micro CP, which I did my first flipped to inverted hover. Since then, I enjoy flips, rolls, and loops with it. Then came along the FBL80. It has a great deal of power for such a tiny body. Basic 3D moves could be performed easily as the bird is tolerant to poor collective management. While reviewing the FBL80, the news of the brushless Wasp Nano CP came to light. Something tells me the new brushless micro would give me the “3D fun” I’m looking for. I must get one, asap, at any cost.

I managed to ask my friend in China to pre-order one set of the Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx RTF. As it involved quite a lot of time and effort to send the package to me asap, I paid a significant amount of money on top of the cost of the product. But it was worth it.

I hope this review can provide on the following information:

1. Comparison with the V922 / FBL100 and FBL80 (I’d love to compare it with the brushed Wasp Nano CP but I’ve never gotten my hands on one)
2. Wasp Nano CPx Flight Characteristics

Packaging

As the pre-order set comes with the Aluminum carrying case instead of the “colored box”, I’m not worried about any damage to the helicopter. I made a video of me unboxing the heli. The video was dark because it was shot very late at night.

Unboxing Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx Brushless RTF Aluminium Box Edition (5 min 45 sec)

Spotlight on the Wasp Nano CPx

The first thing that got my attention was the canopy.

The green canopy of its brushed cousin is slick, but with a red/blue color scheme, the CPx looks stunning!

I took a peep at its back and was pretty amazed how much stuff is crammed underneath the canopy.

The 12A brushless ESC was tied to the receiver board with a black rubber band. While it looks a little too simple for me, it does get the job done.

The power upgrade requires enhancements from the brushed version. It comes with a metal shaft with a metal collar, a 67T main gear. The landing gear feels rigid, a stark contrast with the flimsy landing gear of the V922. Like the brushed Nano, the tail boom is a 3mm carbon fiber square tube. Comparing how the V922 & FBL80 tail booms flexes, I’m amazed that adding just 1 more millimeter of carbon fiber significantly increases the rigidity of the tail boom.

Flipping over to the right side shows the heart of heli. The brushless 11,000kv motor may seem a little big seating between the receiver board and the servo, but if you compare it beside the white battery connector, you’ll realize just how small the motor is.

There is hardly any space between the motor and the servo. I removed the sticker after the photo shoot, hoping provide more clearance for the motor especially when the heli crashes nose-first.

Beneath the ESC lies a bunch of wires. The new receiver board comes with a socket for the ESC.

I like the batteries because they are the same batteries I use on my micro quads, unlike the V922 or FBL80. That means I have at least 6 batteries for my CPx! That translates to quite a lot of flight time at the field, yeah!

While the Nanotech 35C (for Solo Pro 100) is slightly longer, it fits the battery tray. The plastic bump on the battery holds the battery firmly in place. The center of gravity is not affected by the long battery. If you’re looking for intense 3D action, perhaps you should get these 35C batteries.

CPx vs V922 vs FBL80

I (still) don’t have a weighing scale but I’m very sure that the brushless bird is heavier than the V922. The increased weight is not only contributed by the brushless motor, but the “strengthened plastic” used throughout the helicopter.

I guess I’m too used to my V922 as I find the Wasp Nano CPx a little low. But that’s a compliment - it reminds me of a sports car!

The length of the CPx is shorter than the V922. Having flown the V922, the shorter tail of the CPx got me worried about its tail authority. But a quick flight immediately alleviated the concern.

The tail motor protected by layer of translucent tape seems to be 7mm, the same size as the tail motor of the V922. The tail rotor blade of the CPx is longer and narrower. I wonder if that is a better design.

The tail fin is small and fragile. It had a few crashes on the grass field, but the impact was enough to break the tail fin.

Build Quality / Durability

The Wasp Nano CPx is very well made. Most of the moving parts are tightly secured such that there are no unwanted movement. The canopy grommets are very well designed, unlike the V922 and FBL80.

For some reason, the canopy grommets appear to be in the wrong place. I have to stretch the canopy and bend the carbon fiber pins to fit the canopy. The ESC, receiver, and battery are all in the right places. The simplest solution to fix this minor issue is to punch 2 new holes 5 to 6 mm after the existing holes.

At this point, I shall highlight the first major problem I have with the helicopter. The plastic parts are rigid but not durable. Other than the fragile tail fin, the landing skid is rather fragile too. Yes, it looks beefy, and it feels extremely sturdy. But a crash over the grass was enough to break the landing skid. There are 4 support beam holding the two parallel bars. I broke each support beam at each crash. That was not the worst - when I extracted the mangled landing skid from the frame, I discovered one of the rods that plug into the sockets of the frame, had broke and stuck in the socket. Argh! It was painful to remove the brushless motor, ESC, and receiver board, to make space for a screw to drill through the “filled” socket.

The landing gear of the V922 and FBL80 are made of soft plastic. Upon impact, the energy is slowly absorbed by the soft plastic, as it bends and flexes. For the case of the Nano CPx, if the energy is sufficiently low, then nothing bends and nothing breaks. But when there is a big impact, the plastic just snaps.

The tiny carbon fiber pins are held by tiny holders. The holders are part of the anti-rotation bracket. It should not be a surprise that the holders break in a bad side impact crash. I tried CA + baking soda, but the entire assembly is so small that I couldn’t apply sufficient CA to stiffen the holder to the anti rotation bracket. I gave up and flew the heli with only one side of the canopy secured to the frame.

Nasa 701 Transmitter

The transmitter feels “ok”. I could have been designed to look more professional and less plasticky. I would say the transmitter feels just as good (or bad) as the V922 non programmable transmitter.

The Nasa 701 is a programmable transmitter, that allows adding expo to reduce the sensitivity of the stick center. This feature is missing in HiSKY X-6S, which is a big turn off for some.

I have two issues with the transmitter. First, throttle hold is on the left, and idle-up is on the right. That is no good for my muscle memory! I don’t want to mix up throttle hold with idle-up, that may cause me to crash my other birds.

I opened up the transmitter to swap the switches around. To my disappointment, the wires of the two switches are too short to allow the switches to swap positions, and the throttle hold and idle-up sockets are at each corner of the transmitter board. I couldn’t throttle hold in time, resulting in more crashes, and breaking more plastic parts. So my second major problem with the CPx is I couldn’t swap the throttle hold around.

The LCD on the 701 is a just basic LCD. I’m not sure if it could be considered “low resolution”, but certainly the X-6S has a much higher resolution than the 701. That said, the LCD “works” and gets the job done.

I noticed two plastic switches at the sides of the transmitter. I don’t know what they do to the CPx, but I’d want to be able to toggle between high and low rates. Low rate (AIL, ELE: 50%) for hovering and gentle circuits, high rate (AIL, ELE: 75%) for 3D.

They did something right with the start up check. Unlike WLtoys and HiSKY - who felt that throttle hold must be deactivated at power up (huh?!) - Skyartec decided that the right thing to do is to have the throttle hold enabled when the transmitter powers up. Good job!

My settings for the Wasp Nano CPx are below:

- Aileron and Elevator: rate 75%; expo -20%
- Rudder: rate 60%; expo -18%
- Pitch curve: default
- Throttle curve: Normal 0-40-65-85-96; Idle-Up 100-93-85-93-100
- Tail gyro gain: default, 55%

Flight Experience

Throttle response is smooth and quick. I love the sound of the 11,000kv motor, sweet! After lift off, the heli is able to hover with little corrections. However, as compared to the V922, the CPx with non-bulleted rotor blades appear to require more corrections to maintain a stationary hover.

The CPx flies nicely in circuits. However, I find the V922 and FBL80 to handle circuits better. The two helis make me feel “more connected” to them, and when flying fast circuits, they seem to “stay on course” more than the CPx. I suspect that is the trait of bulleted blades. Perhaps fitting them on my CPx will enable it to fly the way I wanted.

The heli is in red LED mode and I did not alter the pot on the receiver board. The cyclic gyro gain feels a little too strong for my taste. During high-speed figure 8s, I have the feeling that the gyro is working against my cyclic inputs.

Occasionally, the tail wags in a stationary hover. It occurs in both normal mode and idle-up modes.

Only when switching to idle-up, the heli shows you its worth. The heli is quick and responsive. It does not feel like flying the V922 or FBL80. It seems to fly much faster than the other two helis. Pitch pumps are prompt with minimal tail blow out.

The fun truly begins when I flipped the CPx. Oh boy, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the loud fluttering of sound of the main rotor blades as they changed pitch. That put a wide smile on my face. Flips are way easier on the CPx. It’s harder (not impossible) to bog the motor. It gives me a great deal of confidence knowing how tolerant it is to my poor collective management. That allowed me to focus on the stick movements instead of worrying what happens if it goes wrong. Successful consecutive flips complete with fluttering “music” were awesome!

The CPx seems to be a great bird in the sky, but here’s the third major problem. I have no idea why the heli suffers from tail blow outs during fast figure-8s. Both left and right banked turns will trigger intermittent tail blow outs. Fortunately, flips are fine. This seems to be an isolated case so it’s unlikely to be an inherent problem. Therefore, it may not be a “major” problem afterall. Update: after changing to a new tail motor along with the accompanied wires, the TBO issue is eliminated. Somehow, my heli came with a faulty tail motor.

Conclusion

The Wasp Nano CPx is an excellent brushless micro helicopter for intermediate to advanced pilots. The high power, low durability combination makes this bird unsuitable for beginners. On the other hand, 3D pilots will find joy tossing the bird all over the field, fluttering along the way. Even while the heli has has been released, there is already a myriad of upgrade parts including colored blades and CNC parts, to add another dimension of fun to the CPx. And if the rumors are true, we may be seeing a RF module (like HiSKY HT8) in the near future. The ability to use a pro-grade transmitter like the 9X would make the bird even more appealing to the experienced pilots.

Links

Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx RTF (colored box, not aluminum box):
- http://www.banggood.com/Skyartec-WAS...F-p-73471.html
- http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/RC-Helic...duct_info.html
- http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-skyart...bo-p-7733.html

Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx BNF (no transmitter):
- http://www.banggood.com/Skyartec-WAS...F-p-73535.html
- http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/RC-Helic...duct_info.html
- http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-skyart...bo-p-7733.html

Pros

+ Heaps of power for fast circuits or intense 3D action!
+ Tolerant to poor collective management
+ Awesome appearance

Cons

- Fragile plastic parts that may not withstand hard crashes
- Throttle hold is on the left, idle-up on the right (subjective) Throttle hold switch could be repositioned; see here!
- Tail blow out during high speed figure-8s (may be an isolated instance)

FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Last edited by FyreSG; Jun 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Removed "tail blow out issue"
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,791 Posts
Resources

Videos

Unboxing
Unboxing Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx Brushless RTF Aluminium Box Edition (5 min 45 sec)

First flight
Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx Brushless RTF - First Flight (4 min 13 sec)

3D demonstration by Skyartec
WaspNanocpBLflight (3 min 57 sec)

3D demonstration by ridge_racer
My RC-Fever x Skyartec Brushless Wasp Nano CP (6 min 0 sec)
Last edited by FyreSG; May 26, 2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,791 Posts
DFC CNC Metal Head Upgrade

The CNC head + blade grip is actually based on the Direct Flight Control (DFC) design, which should improve the precision and agility of the helicopter. Installation is a little confusing because there wasn't any documentation available from the package. I couldn't find any guides on the Internet. After some trial and error, I installed the CNC upgrade!

But the 3 linkage rods (servo to swashplate) are too short for the CNC upgrade. If I did not increase the length, full collective gives 0 degrees of pitch. I also did some trial and error to lengthen the 3 linkage rods so that there is equal full positive and full negative pitch at Idle-Up.

The metal upgrades feel rigid and tough. I believe that makes it more durable to crashes. But the crash impact would have to be absorbed by the other parts, such as the feathering shaft or the swashplate.

As my WNCPX suffers from unexplainable bouts of TBO, I could not try fast circuits, flips or rolls, to see if the CNC upgrade parts improve flight performance.

But one thing is for sure - it looks stunning on the WNCPX!

Photo gallery (full resolution): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fyresg/...7634255599435/
Last edited by FyreSG; Jun 22, 2013 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Added CNC metal upgrade
Old May 25, 2013, 02:44 PM
Germany
Joined Feb 2004
28 Posts
Thanks for this great and detailed review. Perhaps you can add some technical info later (headspeed, weight & flight durations with the standard vs nanotec lipos etc.).
Have the brushed version myself and having fun with it, when it's not broken that is..
XrayZulu is offline Find More Posts by XrayZulu
Old May 25, 2013, 03:50 PM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
905 Posts
Good Job on the review

Great Job on the review - we noticed that you listed Bangood, a Chinese based seller, as the dealer - for USA sales with experienced, expert service and support we would appreciate you listing us as an alternative dealer for USA Buyers

thanks

Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,791 Posts
Max, added for you. But please provide me the links next time so it simplifies the effort required.

Edit: Links removed
Last edited by FyreSG; May 26, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:38 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
How fast is the USA shipping? From the look of their website, it looks like it's being shipped to us from 1995. Is time travel faster than Banggood?
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old May 25, 2013, 10:31 PM
Joined Dec 2008
905 Posts
Time Travel or Travel Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
How fast is the USA shipping?
We are in Michigan USA - oldest / largest Skyartec Disbributor in North America - generally we ship in 2 -3 business days from day of order - as we bench test all mechancial and electrical components - then video tape the test flight with additional tips and hints for each buyer; additionally we handle all factory defect and replacement from our USA Warehouse, not from China like Banggood, Miracle Mart and others -

Quote:
From the look of their website, it looks like it's being shipped to us from 1995.
- don't quite understand - unless you mean that we use common, standard PHP programming without resource intensive Flash or Java / Java Script and other time wasting and bloated programming -

Quote:
Is time travel faster than Banggood?
Travel Time from Michigan to most parts of the USA via Insured Priority Mail is only 2-3 days

Max
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Parkflying; May 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:45 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,248 Posts
I received a Walkera tail boom. It's 2mm, but also has a shiny coating. You'll be surprise at how that additional coating made the 2mm square boom feel so much more rigid than the non coated booms.

BTW, the v922 brushless is really tolerant of poor collective management too. I think I mentioned this before in the v922 thread after going brushless. You definitely attested to that in your review of the Wasp Nano CPX.

On that note, I wonder if we need to rethink using the term Nano CPX. Prior to the Wasp, it refers to the Blade product. Can get confusing in discussions I suppose.

Thanks for the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflying View Post
We are in Michigan USA - oldest / largest Skyartec Disbributor in North America - generally we ship in 2 -3 business days from day of order - as we bench test all mechancial and electrical components - then video tape the test flight with additional tips and hints for each buyer; additionally we handle all factory defect and replacement from our USA Warehouse, not from China like Banggood, Miracle Mart and others -

Max
More importantly, I see ParkFlying participating in the SkyArtec threads. Kudos for that.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old May 25, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflying View Post
- don't quite understand - unless you mean that we use common, standard PHP programming without resource intensive Flash or Java / Java Script and other time wasting and bloated programming -
No, I meant the multiple font sizes/color, hard to find information, and general haphazard look to your site.

But yes to the stuff you said as well.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
905 Posts
thanks for feedback

Quote:
No, I meant the multiple font sizes/color, hard to find information, and general haphazard look to your site.

But yes to the stuff you said as well.
thanks for the feedback

Max
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Parkflying; May 26, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
...................More importantly, I see ParkFlying participating in the SkyArtec threads. Kudos for that.
thanks for the note of appreciation. We have been long time sponsors and member here; we provided both a Skyartec X3v and a Nano Cp for reviews written and posted on RCGroups and we have 2 vendor forums here for both Skyartec and ParkFlying (Park RC Models) - with such a high volume of great postings and information on RCG, it is difficult for anyone to see or know about all of the content - we normally spend 1 to 3 hours a day answering posts here or contacting the poster with additional information and support

Thanks again for your kind comment

Max
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2013, 11:57 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
Quote:
How fast is the USA shipping? From the look of their website, it looks like it's being shipped to us from 1995. Is time travel faster than Banggood?
No, but I can tell you from experience that Max's customer service and individual model setup are absolutely second to none. That, my friend, is timeless.

I would personally guarantee that the purchase of any Skyartec helicopter from an overseas vendor will not fly as well as one which has been personally set up, tested and flown by Max prior to shipping.

It's been my pleasure and privilege to review three Skyartec helicopters for this site. I'm not talking about someone reviewing a model on his personal blog, but official reviews for RCGroups.com.

I have a Wasp X3, a Wasp X3V and a brushed Nano, all reviewed here.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2013, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
No, but I can tell you from experience that Max's customer service and individual model setup are absolutely second to none. That, my friend, is timeless.
I gotcha, but to get to the service, you have to buy something. And I'm weary to buy something from websites that look this way. Honestly never heard of the company til this thread, and one visit to the site turned me off.

It's not the display errors in Firefox (of which there are plenty in the ads), it's the actual formatting. Big red, blue, black, possibly even yellow text. Large and small fonts. Center justified text. Pages that scroll forever and ever and ever. All text menus at the left and right, and hard to find categories/specifics at a glance.

If people say it's a good company, and endorse it, I might look at it again. But my first impression was that it was not up to snuff, and possibly sketchy. Thus my post. I'm eager to get my hands on one of these, and reading all I can. If there's a US supplier, that's even quicker. But I too went searching for the site/links at first when they weren't posted, and the amateurish site left me fearing a scam, since I've not heard if it.

I mean we KNOW Banggood can be sketchy, and even their site looks better. So one can imagine why I'd be weary.

More importantly, I'm dying to hear more about these helicopters, regardless of where people get them.
Old May 26, 2013, 01:47 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayZulu View Post
Thanks for this great and detailed review. Perhaps you can add some technical info later (headspeed, weight & flight durations with the standard vs nanotec lipos etc.).
Have the brushed version myself and having fun with it, when it's not broken that is..
I'm glad that the review was useful. I don't have the equipment to measure headspeed and weight. I don't believe in measuring flight time because I don't fly for "extended" periods. Lipos don't like to be stretched to their limits. I always fly at most 4 mins of circuits, or 3 minutes of 3D action. Besides the batteries, my brain needs a rest too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
BTW, the v922 brushless is really tolerant of poor collective management too. I think I mentioned this before in the v922 thread after going brushless. You definitely attested to that in your review of the Wasp Nano CPX.

On that note, I wonder if we need to rethink using the term Nano CPX. Prior to the Wasp, it refers to the Blade product. Can get confusing in discussions I suppose.

Thanks for the review.
I never tried a brushless V922 but I'd love to, if they ever release one. I'm monitoring HiSKY China forum for news on their brushless FBL100. So far, there's nothing. Good job, Skyartec!

It's a mouthful typing "Skyartec Wasp Nano CPx". I tried to shorten it to "CPx" but that's gonna confuse the Blade and Esky pilots. But hey, that's a lowercase "x"! Would that have helped? How about "WNCPx"?

I'm happy that you appreciate this review.

I'm trying to improve my reviews, so anyone, please drop me a message to share the areas that I can improve on. If you spot grammar mistakes, do guide me along as english is not my native language.

I embedded WNCPx videos to post #2: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...52&postcount=2