SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 02, 2004, 02:10 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
It does not have to be minwax. Any water based polycrylic will work.
Fiasco is offline Find More Posts by Fiasco
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
I just spotted this thread, and thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
I glassed and painted a GWS 109 last month. I have not flown it yet, as I was delayed in finding a suitable spinner, but now I am ready to go. The power system is a 3 blade 9.6" SG Varioprop, GWS 400 "I" gearbox with a Cobri shaft ( www.e-flightline.com ), a Himax 5300, Phoenix 25 speed control, and a Tanic 2200 3s battery. The prop pitch is set to draw 22 static amps. This same set-up with a less efficient prop went 64mph in a GWS Spit on our radar gun. We are anticipating slightly higher top speed with the 109, due to the Vario Prop.
I glassed the 109 with 1/2 ounce cloth and Minwax poly, then painted with Delta acrylic craft paint thinned with Windex. I lightly misted the entire plane with Krylon Matte Clear after applying the decals.
The spinner is one I made from a plastic easter egg. Correct looking spinners are impossible to find, and I am not sure how durable the egg spinner will be, but we will see.
I think it is worth mentioning that there are several fabrics which can be used in place of fiberglass cloth. Jerry Hall has been using a light weight Dacron material he gets at Walmart with good results, and I have been told that Silkspan works well too. If you are finishing in a mattefinish, you probably don't need to ad any fillers to smooth the finish, as the weave in the fabric seems to enhance the matte look.
Tim
tim61 is offline Find More Posts by tim61
Last edited by tim61; Feb 02, 2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
bottom
Old Feb 02, 2004, 10:39 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
Easter egg spinner before installing prop and motor
Old Feb 02, 2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
This whole process worked so well, and was so easy to do, that I am currently glassing a Zero on floats (Rufe), a Corsair, and an F-82 Twin Mustang, all with Himax motors.
Tim
Old Feb 02, 2004, 10:49 AM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
Very nice, tim... where can i find one of those? I've been itching for a dual mega 16/15 powered foamie...
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Last edited by headless; Feb 02, 2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2004, 02:36 PM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
Tim61,

Did you use the provided GWS stickers or did you create your own. If you did create your own, what paper did you use.

I used clear color slide decal paper but printers dont shoot white so there is no white in my decals.
Old Feb 02, 2004, 08:05 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
Headless,
I made it up out of a GWS P-51, a spare GWS Fuse, and a foam wing center section I cut out of pink foam. It is in the early stages of construction, and the picture is actually of the mock-up with a cardboard center section and elevator. I am still working out the bugs, like where to carry the batteries, etc. Should be screaming fast though!

Fiasco
I used the stock GWS stickers on this one, but I cleared them with Krylon Matte Clear bfore I cut them from the sheet, then I cut them as close as I could to the edges of the actual markings. Worked out ok, but I am happier with the custom Vinyl Decals I did for my Corsair (R.I.P., look out for that school.....!) The GWS decals are kind of cool in that they are a little transparent, so the panel lines show through, but the adhessive is a joke. Good results for a first effort, though. These foam planes are a hoot! Next up, I am building a custom pink foam A-1 Skyraider that Jerry Hall cut for me. Should be sweet!
Tim

Below you can see the vinyl decals we cut for the Corsair. I liked them so much, I am doing a second set for the replacement Corsair. This one wasn't glassed......big mistake
Old Feb 03, 2004, 01:31 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
vinyl eh? I tried water slide decal paper but the catch with that is there is no white. It is also very expensive paper, but the ultimate lightweight 'sticker'.

Tell me more about the vinyl decal paper your using! What is it? How well does it work? Cost? And where can I get some
Old Feb 03, 2004, 03:23 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
It is actually sign makers vinyl, like they use on those ads you see on car doors, or store windows. Usually around $5 a yard, and can be cut with an xacto. I actually have a friend who has the computer controlled cutter like the sign shops use, so he does the decals for me. The only draw back is that the tape you use to apply the decal will take stock GWS paint off, so you can only use it on glassed planes.
Tim
Old Feb 04, 2004, 03:02 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
So you have to apply tape to the decal to hold it on?

Quote:
The power system is a 3 blade 9.6" SG Varioprop, GWS 400 "I" gearbox with a Cobri shaft
Do they have the vario in stock? Their site still says pre-orders. How do you like the vario?
Old Feb 04, 2004, 03:02 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
So you have to apply tape to the decal to hold it on?

Quote:
The power system is a 3 blade 9.6" SG Varioprop, GWS 400 "I" gearbox with a Cobri shaft
Do they have the vario in stock? Their site still says pre-orders. How do you like the vario?
Old Feb 04, 2004, 09:12 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
No, the signmakers vinyl is self adhesive, really strong stuff. But to apply it, you use a transfer tape, like a masking tape, that holds the decals in place until you rub them down. It is like those decals you can buy for your car window, where you see the decal through the tape, if you know what I mean.

Yes, E-Flightline is stocking the Varioprops. As far as I know, they will be the only distrbutor in the US with stock on hand. However, I just found out yesterday that the initial order was delayed in shipping due to a mistake on the Zip code, so it may be a week before they have them. That is why in the picture of my 109's spinner, there is no prop. My 3 blade hub is in that order.

Of all the props I have tried thay are my favorite, not only for how they look, but also because they can be pitched for maximum performance. And, if you break a sigle blade, you can replace just that blade. And, did I mentiuon how cool they look????

Tim
Old Feb 04, 2004, 09:55 AM
Flying Fanatic & Lunatic
Sillicon Valley, California, USA
Joined Dec 2003
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fiasco
Canned air stinks
litterally smells horrible!
The Disturbed 1 is offline Find More Posts by The Disturbed 1
Old Feb 04, 2004, 03:18 PM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
Color Slide Decal Paper

I found a site that sells both clear and white water decal paper for $1 a sheet.

The have a starter pack that contains 10 clear and 10 white sheets of decal paper. This stuff works great!

http://www.decal-paper.com
Closed Thread