HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:46 PM
Ottawa,Canada
Joined Dec 2003
115 Posts
This is pretty much the same finishing method that we use on our FFX park fighters with the exception of the second coat of poly mixed with baby powder.That second coat adds a lot of unecessary weight especially when loaded down with talc.If you are doing a war bird finish you will find that leaving the cloth weave unfilled after one just one coat is actually benefiscial because it doesn't reflect light as easily giving the planes colour scheme a flat less reflective finish.Looks more realistic and flys a hell of a lot better.
Cheers!
Mark
Turbobeaver is offline Find More Posts by Turbobeaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2004, 02:04 AM
La Mirada, CA
Joined Dec 2003
228 Posts
Well, this will be my first glassing, so I'm certainly interested in keeping it simple.

Turbobeaver, I may just follow your advice and stick with a few coats of pure Minwax to get the hang of things. I'm interested in glassing more for the strength/durability it likely adds, not so much a perfect finish for painting... I've never airbrushed either, so I'm sure this one will be interesting!

By the way, those of you who airbrush, I have an simple airbrush but not a compressor. Does the canned air work good enough to paint a single plane in a fairly simple scheme (perhaps flat colors on top, stripes on the bottom for orientation)? I hate to invest $100+ on an air compressor to just paint a foam plane or two.
Endor is offline Find More Posts by Endor
Old Jan 29, 2004, 02:11 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
Canned air stinks
Fiasco is offline Find More Posts by Fiasco
Old Jan 29, 2004, 03:33 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
Here it is so far. I'm ready to make my decals and pu tthem on.

109 Rohwer JG3

Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:06 AM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
congratulations Fiasco, you did a first class job!
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:17 AM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
You can find this at any hardware store, lightweight spackle.. used to fill nail holes and imperfections in walls before painting. The NHP brand is the same thing, but usually more money (a dollar or two?)

Its ready for sanding in an hour or two.. it looks like its made of powdered styrofoam mixed with a binder.. very light.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiasco
I used a lightweight filler (spackle) called NHP i got from horizon hobby. This is to fill imperfections in the styrofoam. I also used it to fill the seams from joining the fuse halves together.

Old Jan 30, 2004, 06:26 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
My friend at work purchased a corsair as his first airplane. It has been banged up on several occasions. He has started to rework the plane with lightweight filler and fiberglass cloth.

His wing, which many people would have discarded looks absolutely stunning now! I'll post some pix of his hog after its finished.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 08:29 AM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
shweet. Nice job, fiasco.

I must agree, canned air stinks. You can use it but if you have never airbrushed it will be extremely frustrating. It was difficult enough to learn how to airbrush when i bought all the right equipment (paasche VSR90, paasche D3000 compressor w/ regulator and moisture trap, etc.)

It helps to know that it's not the equipment's fault and is MY fault when i screw up; saved me alot of time.... ugh it was a PITA anyway

Thin your paint to the consistency of milk. spray at around 20psi, 25psi.
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Jan 30, 2004, 09:10 AM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
Thats why I like spray cans, my two small compressors are locked up

I hope they just need some oil somewhere..

Quote:
Originally posted by headless

It helps to know that it's not the equipment's fault and is MY fault when i screw up; saved me alot of time.... ugh it was a PITA anyway

Old Jan 30, 2004, 09:10 AM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
Thats why I like spray cans, my two small compressors are locked up

I hope they just need some oil somewhere..

Quote:
Originally posted by headless

Old Jan 31, 2004, 02:26 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
Only problem w/ spray cans is that you are very limited in their use... my paasche VSR90 can spray pencil width lines for hours without issue when properly set up... a spray can limits detail work to stuff you can do through masking... my friend is a tattoo artist and is a madman with an airbrush freehand so it's 3x as nice when he works on it w/ this instead of spraycan... though we did paint this e-starter using the airbrush and stencils that he created...
Old Jan 31, 2004, 02:27 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
check out the little bumblebee on the tail..
Old Jan 31, 2004, 02:38 PM
La Mirada, CA
Joined Dec 2003
228 Posts
Fiasco,

Bravo! Great job on that plane!

Thanks to all for the advice on powering an airbrush. I have an airbrush (probably a pretty cheapo one) but can't afford a compressor right now... I'd rather spend on that money on the powerplant. So I guess I'm stuck with decals for now...
Endor is offline Find More Posts by Endor
Old Feb 01, 2004, 06:20 PM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
Almost done.

Got a few more minor decals to add and then panel lines and a final coat of minwax.

The decals were created by me and printed on water slide decal paper.

Old Feb 02, 2004, 01:48 AM
Jakarta
Joined Aug 2003
55 Posts
Other Alternatives

Dear All,
I look everywhere for a Minwax Polycrylic. Unfortunately, I could not find it. Is there another alternatives other than the Minwax Polycrylic? Thank for the help.

Kris
tjongkristian is offline Find More Posts by tjongkristian
Closed Thread