HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 27, 2004, 05:27 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
Tanic in 3S 2200 in GWS 109 (58mm wide tray)
You couldn't ask for a better fit. Hopefully they will fit and balance in the GWS p51 (56mm wide tray) this well.

I have a GWS spit for the other tanic 2200 and Razor 2500 I have. I am hoping that I can squeeze the battery into the spit which only has a 54mm wide battery tray. 2mm of foam is going to have to be sanded from the sidewalls of the spit tray to get the battery to fit.

Notice that there are no seams from joining the two halfs of the fuselage Lightweight filler and fiberglass

Fiasco is offline Find More Posts by Fiasco
Last edited by Fiasco; Jan 27, 2004 at 05:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2004, 09:04 AM
U.S.
Joined Jan 2004
162 Posts
what did you use to make the lines between the two colors???.... since tape takes the paint off
gws fanatic is offline Find More Posts by gws fanatic
Old Jan 27, 2004, 09:56 AM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
heylo fiasco -- i fit a tanic 2200 3s pack and a phoenix 45 (on top/under the pack in the battery tray area!) in my spitfire... you'll manage fine
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:25 AM
U.S.
Joined Jan 2004
162 Posts
fiasco.......what kind of paint are you using?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:43 AM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
887 Posts
How do you think it would be to just put clear polyurethane on to get a smooth paintable surface without glassing? Or would poly wreck the foam?
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS
Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:58 PM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
gws fanatic,

I am using 86 cent craft paint from wal-mart. They have a hundered or so colors to choose from and the price is dirt cheap. It is water based acrylic craft paint.

I used regular painters masking tape to mark off my lines. It didn't pull the paint off because the surface underneath is not styrofoam, it's fiberglass and minwax polycrylic so the paint sticks way better.

MAKODS,

Try minwax water based polycrylic. It will not eat the foam. They sell it at walmart. It comes in a bluish/green can. Mix alot of baby powder in with the minwax befoe you put it on. The baby powder acts as a filler for small imperfections.
Last edited by Fiasco; Jan 27, 2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 04:16 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
Fiasco -- did you apply the minwax/glass directly to the foam, then? I thought it required spackle (which i still don't know what the hell is...) first?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 04:32 PM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
I used a lightweight filler (spackle) called NHP i got from horizon hobby. This is to fill imperfections in the styrofoam. I also used it to fill the seams from joining the fuse halves together.

This is not required though.

You just take the dry fiberglass cloth and drape it over the surface (wing for example) and start brushing the minwax on over it. Use a squeegee to remove excess minwax.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 04:35 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
cool How long did it take for your plane to 'set' to the point of being sandable?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 06:20 PM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
887 Posts
Thanks Fiasco, I'll give it a try.
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:39 PM
La Mirada, CA
Joined Dec 2003
228 Posts
I've been watching this thread with interest for some time now. As my Formosa is starting to show some "road rash" (I regularly land on asphault and have had the gear fold a few times), I'm considering building a new kit and glassing it.

I've also read the other thread on glassing... so here's what I've gathered:

1) Use .5oz fiberglass
2) Use Minwax polycrylic from Wal-Mart
3) Use a squeegee to remove excess Minwax.

Fiasco,

Since it looks like you have this process nailed down pretty well, mind answering some question for us newbs?

1) Roughly how much baby powder do you mix into the Minwax to make it a filler? You mention "a lot", but I can see mixing enough to make the Minwax turn to paste! What type of consistency are you after with the baby powder?

2) How many coats did you use in total?

3) You mentioned that you glassed the ailerons before installing them in the wing. Did you do this with the other control surfaces as well? How exactly did that work, e.g. did you drape the fiberglass over the trailing edge of the aileron, glass it down, then trim the excess off the leading edge and glass the LE too? Is it difficult to cut the hinge slits through the glassing?

4) Really silly question: did you glass the wing before or after installing the wing spar? Or did you just trim around the spar slot?

5) Are you using a foam or bristle brush to apply the Minwax?

Thanks for all the info you've provided on this. We really appreciate the time and effort, and the plane looks GREAT!
Endor is offline Find More Posts by Endor
Old Jan 27, 2004, 08:32 PM
U.S.
Joined Jan 2004
162 Posts
Beanie,

What motor do u have in the formosa??

Can u hover with it ???(looking for brushless set up for mine which will be able to hover my glassed Formosa)

Both your planes look great!!!................Thanx!!!
Old Jan 28, 2004, 02:40 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
Endor,

1) Alot! When mixed it wasn't paste but it wasn't exactly liquid either. For your first coat when applying the fiberglass you do not want baby powder mixed in. You want to apply the fiberglass with polycrylic only. Then come back in and use the baby powder/polycrylic mix to help smooth imperfections. The babypowder/polycrylic mix also hides the mesh texture of the fiberglass.

2) 1 straight polycrylic coat. 2 powder/polycrylic coats. Then I painted the plane. I will follow up with 1 straight polycrylic coat after I have applied all my final paint, panel lines and water slide decals.

3) I had to glass the ailerons seperately because I wanted the aileron control wires buried underneath filler and fiberglass instead of the provided cheezy colored tape. To put the wires in position, the ailerons had to be off the wing. With the tail I fiberglassed the horizontal stab and elevators as one piece and I did the vertical stab and rudder as one piece.

I draped the fiberglass over the trailing edge of the ailerons as you said. I did not glass the leading edge, I simply trimmed the excess fiberglass off at that edge.

4) I installed the wingspar and waited for the glue to dry/cure. I then filled the slot with NHP white micro filler flush with the wing surface (instead of using the provided cheezy color tape) and sanded it smooth. (All done prior to fiberglassing)

5) I used a bristle brush. The squeege removes any brush stroke lines.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 09:46 AM
La Mirada, CA
Joined Dec 2003
228 Posts
Thanks for the excellent reply Fiasco!
Endor is offline Find More Posts by Endor
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:05 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
hey gws fanatic,
i am running a stock gws 350C motor with a 10x8 prop on 8cell kans. no, i can't hover (i haven't tried, but i doubt it). my plane came out to 19.9oz AUW (with the heavy kan''s and my first attempt at glassing). i didn't use the squeegee... but i will definitely try that next time (thanks for the tip fiasco!).

endor,
i used a foam brush to apply the minwax and it worked well. i haven't tried it with baby powder yet, so i don't know if it will work for that or not.
i also completed the wing (ie, installed the spar and ailerons), and then glassed the wing. i did what fiasco did and used balsa filler followed by sanding. i skipped the tape. fyi, the minwax doesn't stick well to packing tape. my tail feathers were covered in packing tape (because i wasn't originally going to glass the plane). the glass on the tail feathers peel off easily. i think this extra tape an lack of using a squeegee bumped up my weight quite a bit.
hope that helps
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Closed Thread