HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 20, 2004, 09:03 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,337 Posts
I was wondering if after you glass the fuse, for example, are you guys pouring acetone into it to remove all of the foam or are you just leaving it and taking out some foam here and there?

I would try taking out all of the foam and making ply bulkheads where needed for strength and mounting. This should be plenty strong and light.

C of G
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:22 PM
Flying Fanatic & Lunatic
Sillicon Valley, California, USA
Joined Dec 2003
334 Posts
I've spent up to 10 minutes inverted with a slowstick, in a city park. One guy had to come over and ask if the plane was supposed to fly like that. And I had to briefly explain what the hell I was trying to do. Which was flying inverted. Not the easiest thing to do with a SS or Moth!
The Disturbed 1 is offline Find More Posts by The Disturbed 1
Old Mar 21, 2004, 03:14 AM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by C of G
I was wondering if after you glass the fuse, for example, are you guys pouring acetone into it to remove all of the foam or are you just leaving it and taking out some foam here and there?

I would try taking out all of the foam and making ply bulkheads where needed for strength and mounting. This should be plenty strong and light.

C of G
No...you don't want to remove the foam with acetone. The purpose of glassing is to strengthen the foam and a side benefit is that it makes a better surface to paint on. On the other hand, I'll cut foam out right quickly to fit some electronics or a battery pack in a fuse.

My glassed E-Starter has slammed into a curb and the other day it tip-stalled on take-off.(I was trying a new prop size that didn't work out for me...) Zero foam damage with the exception of foam in back of the balsa stick that holds the motor/gearbox.

Disturbed- I'm impressed... I can only manage 30-45 seconds invert with my SS. Even more impressed that it was in a city park! My flightline is a couple thousand feet wide in any direction, and I haven't been able to invert all the way across it.
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:05 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
There is a group of guys I fly with that have repowered their Slow Sticks with Himax brushless systems from E-Flightline. They all fly them 3D, which is pretty amusing to watch. Harriers, hovering, inverted, etc. The one that really cracks me up is when they give tham full throttle, and the wings start flapping!
tim61 is offline Find More Posts by tim61
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:51 AM
Barboursville, West Virginia, WV-OH-KY Tri State Area
Joined Aug 2003
348 Posts
Camo Vote

Sorry!!

I posted in the wrong forum!
whizzard is offline Find More Posts by whizzard
Last edited by whizzard; Mar 22, 2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:28 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,337 Posts
Has anyone glassed an A 10?
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:31 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
I'm sure someone has, and I am a firm believer in 'glassing my planes, but you really want to be careful about how much weight you add to that A-10. I would recommend against glassing it unless you are using the lightest possible electronics, and li-po packs. Even then, I would recommend glassing one piece at a time, and weighing each piece before and after to track the weight gain. Lastly, once you get it all together, be sure to test fly it on a calm day and see if it flies any good before you paint it. Those EDF's just can't handle too much excess weight.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:27 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
Actually just starting a glassed A-10 for Jeff at E-Flightline. Should be pretty cool.....
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:56 AM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
I'm in the "spakle and sanding" stage of glassing mine. I don't think the added weigh will take away from the performance I'm getting with the 2 himax 2015-4100's and the tanic 2S 2200 pack I'm using. The biggest problem with the A-10 is that the wing is not very strong. Also, the nose like to disintigrate when you hit it too hard. At a minimum, these 2 areas should be glassed if you want to make the plane last longer.

Tim, are you taking pictures of the A-10 glassing?

Steve "CornDog"
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Mar 22, 2004, 07:10 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
Steve,

You hit the nail on the head! The wing on the A-10 is the biggest issue. I witnessed the wings fold up on Jeff's brushless A-10 with stock wings on what was really only a megium G maneuver. I am putting a carbon tube in the wing of the new A-10.
The other area that will receive considerable attention is the fan pods. After talking with several people who are way more knowledgable that myself, I have concluded that smooth, high volume airflow is critical. So, I will be openinup th intake and smoothing the inside of the fan pods as much as possible.

I could certainly take pictures and post them. Usually I get so involve in the build that I forget to take pictures, but I will try to chronicle the A-10 from the beginning.

A weekend of yard work kept me from the Moth wings, but I hope to get glass on them tomorrow, and will post the pictures as soon as I do.

Tim
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:35 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Pictures of the A-10 would be nice ... especially shots of the pieces of glass cloth you put on prior to applying resin. I keep sanding my A-10 ... and applying spackle ... and sanding ... and applying spackle. This has been going on for almost 2 weeks now. I keep telling myslef I'm only trying to make it stronger and not prettier. But after seeing the work you did on the fuse of the Mouth, I want pretty!

Can you get some pictures of your wing of your Mouth before you glass it. I'm particularly interested in how the strut mount look now after you finished sanding.

Okay, one more question and I promise I will stop. This is for anyone who knows the answer: Do I need to remove all the paint from my A-10 in order for the glassing process to apply solidly to the plane?

Thanks!

Steve "CornDog"
Old Mar 22, 2004, 07:44 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
Lol Steve, it sounds like you're just like me... you will spend hours working on a plane to get it JUST RIGHT. My wife thinks I'm crazy... she says all I am going to do is crash it anyways, why bother. She hasn't been to see me fly since I got over the "crashing all the time hump".

As far as the A-10 goes, remember that it's meant to look a little rough and dirty around the edges. As far as removing the factory paint to glass it, I would leave as much factory paint on it as possible. The glass wont be effected by the paint, and you won't have to apply as much paint to cover up green foam as you will white foam. Good luck, and please be sure to take pics of your process, espescially the end result.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:53 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
I think I would take off as much paint as posible, because the factiry paint doesn't stick very well, and that is what your cloth will be adhered to. I have only glassed unpainted slope kits for that very reason.
If you do glass over the paint, give us a long term test report, to see which theory proves correct. You have piqued my curiosity now!
Tim
Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:32 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Okay, I'm not sure what I'm going to do now ... I guess it all depends on how long I'm going to be sanding this bad boy. I'm leaning towards removing the paint only so I can reduce weight. If I glass it, I'll have to repaint anyways.

Here are some pictures of my poor Hog. The first 2 are the damage that occured when I lost control (glitch?). I had already started the repairs when I realized I should be taking pictures. The plane went inverted and dived in. We collected all the foam we could find (about 25 pieces). The last picture is where I am today.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:33 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Picture #2, from the top:
Closed Thread