HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 18, 2004, 07:12 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
After letting the spackle dry overnight, I sand again with the 320. I use the block on the slot fillets so as to blend them in. On most of the rest, I sand by hand. You really need to watch for build up on the paper, or you wil drag scratches into the foam/spackle. Do I sound like a broken record???! Well, I haven't built a foam model yet where I didn't damage the finish at som point with dirty sand paper! I am getting better, though.

I usually have to sand/spackle/sand/repeat a few times. Remeber, your finished plane is only going to be a colored version of the result of this step, so extra time spent here pays big dividends later.
tim61 is offline Find More Posts by tim61
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2004, 07:39 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial with pics, that will definitely help some of us improve our aircrafts finishes.

What camera are you using? It looks like it takes excellent close-ups!
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Mar 18, 2004, 07:54 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
Ha! It is actually an old Sony FD-73 digital that I bought from Perry (rudderman98) about 4 years ago. It has been dropped, kicked, and drop kicked more times than I care to think about, and still it takes a pretty good picture.

Next I will show the actual application of glass, but first I thought I would throw in a teezer. Here is the fuse and tail feathers, glassed and painted. More detail to come, but so far it is looking almost as good as I had hoped!
Old Mar 18, 2004, 07:55 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
Tail view
Old Mar 19, 2004, 06:56 AM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Now you have to tell us the details on your power system for this plane!
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:24 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
DCobra,

I am running a set up I bought from Jeff at E-Flightline. After having the chance to fly the E-Flightline Tiger Moth test bed, I was sold. The Moth will fly for 30 minutes no problem, and has enough power for 3 foot take-off rolls if you have limited space. It flies like a dream on 1/2 throttle, with gobs of torque and power to get yourself out of trouble when needed.

The power set is a Himax 2025-2700 mounted in a Cobri billet aluminum gearbox with 2.8:1 gearing, a Phoenix 10 speed control, and 3S Tanic 1500 lipoly battery. I am using Cirrus 6.2 servos on the rudder and elevator, and a Hitec HS55 on the ailerons. Receiver is a Multiplex 5 channel, and transmitter is a Multiplex Royal Evo 12.

Other mods include Dubro ultra light wheels, GWS scale tail wheel, E-Flightline laser cut strut kit, Bob Holman laser cut control horns, custom decals, glassing, flying wires, instrument panels, and pilot.

Should be a real nice package, and a perfect example of what a sick mind can do to a $40 airplane!!!!!

Tim
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
Oops!

I forgot to add that I am using a 9X7.5 Master Airscrew Electric prop. This combo draws 12 static amps at full throttle.

You can see this combo flying on a video that can be viewed at www.e-flightline.com . The video shows both the brushless Moth and brushless PT-17 flying together.

Tim
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:46 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Great thread! It is now very obvious that my Mouth will not look half as good as yours ... but I've chosen the same paint scheme! Where did you get the idea for the colors? I saw it in the latest edition of Air & Space magazine.

This is my first attampt at glassing, so I'm not expecting a perfect job. I know the plane will be a lot stronger and should look okay, but nothing like what you have done! My next one will be better. I'll be doing the Formosa next!

Steve "CornDog" Hunt
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:53 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
The Moth I am modeling is the restored version of the second oldest moth in existance. If I remember correctly, it is owned by a flying club in England. The scheme is red fuse with silver flying surfaces. On the side of the fuse it says "The DeHavilland School of Flying". Registration number is G-ACDJ. I was originally going to finish the laser cut struts in a mahogany wood finish, but after further thought (...is something burning...?), I think I will finish them red like this photo.

Tim
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:05 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
It looks like we have similar inspiration!
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
So, last weekend, I am working on Jeff's boat in my driveway, when I hear an obviously old airplane motor purring overhead. Jeff and I look up, and about 500 feet up a Tiger Moth cruises on by! The first one I have seen since I was a kid. It was white with yellow stripes, and looked like too much fun!
Old Mar 20, 2004, 02:27 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
I'm kicking myself for not installing the strut mounts before glassing the wing. Do you think it would looke bad if I glued then in, spackled the area, sanded, and then added more glass around each mount to add more strengh? It just seems like a really good way to add a lot of strength to the strut system!

Steve
Old Mar 20, 2004, 02:36 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tim61
DCobra,

I am running a set up I bought from Jeff at E-Flightline. After having the chance to fly the E-Flightline Tiger Moth test bed, I was sold. The Moth will fly for 30 minutes no problem, and has enough power for 3 foot take-off rolls if you have limited space. It flies like a dream on 1/2 throttle, with gobs of torque and power to get yourself out of trouble when needed.

The power set is a Himax 2025-2700 mounted in a Cobri billet aluminum gearbox with 2.8:1 gearing, a Phoenix 10 speed control, and 3S Tanic 1500 lipoly battery. I am using Cirrus 6.2 servos on the rudder and elevator, and a Hitec HS55 on the ailerons. Receiver is a Multiplex 5 channel, and transmitter is a Multiplex Royal Evo 12.

Other mods include Dubro ultra light wheels, GWS scale tail wheel, E-Flightline laser cut strut kit, Bob Holman laser cut control horns, custom decals, glassing, flying wires, instrument panels, and pilot.

Should be a real nice package, and a perfect example of what a sick mind can do to a $40 airplane!!!!!

Tim
Sweet setup... I'm starting to look at going with Himax on my fleet...I'm going through can motors so fast it's not going to be much of a cost difference.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 04:37 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
USA, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Nov 2000
570 Posts
Steve,
Your idea on the strut mounts will work great I think.

DCobra,
I think the Himax motors are the bargain of the brushless world right now. You can't beat the prices or selection. The only complaint I have is that they don't offer a good direct drive motor, like Mega.
If you use a watt meter to make sure you are drawing the appropriate amps, you can really have an awesome, efficient power system. 30 minutes of flying the Moth like a crop duster really floats my boat. And the long flight times allow you to really practice your piloting skills. A few weeks ago I spent 20+ minutes flying the Moth inverted! What a gas!
Tim
Old Mar 20, 2004, 07:47 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Wow...20+ minutes of constant inverted flight? I can see how that would definitely improve a persons skills. I'm looking at the brushless route because I insist on building my planes to last with fiberglassing and assorted mods, but all that stuff adds weight. For example, my E-Starter is 21.5 oz all up with 8 cell KAN 1050 pack. I'm having a hard time flying this plane with the stock motor and a prop that wont kill the motor quickly. It flies great when there is 7-10mph winds, but I tried flying in a dead calm the other day and stalled on ROG takeoff... not enough lift! I ended up bending a propshaft on that incident, so I can essentially write that motor off as a loss, since I had to fly with a straightened shaft. The same day, the 350C motor on my Slow Stick gave up the ghost. That was the second motor I had die in midflight on that plane since January. Hehe...also the victim of a bent propshaft. Actually, I'm not that rough on propshafts... two of the three I have running right now were bent because of stalls on takeoff. Once I get the plane up on step, I rarely have any problems.
Anyways, I got longwinded with all that. Looking forward to li-po's and Himax brushless motors!
Closed Thread