HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 24, 2013, 06:55 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2013
113 Posts
New Product
Naza M V2 vs Naza M V1

This may have time-limited utility but for those wondering "should I shell out the extra 30-50 dollars or not?".....

First bought the Phantom in March. It has the Naza V1. It has been upgraded to 3.10 then 3.12 with the attendant changes in the LED signaling patterns and warmup and takeoff programming. All available in excruciating detail elsewhere

I recently finished an F450, in which I put a new Naza M V1. Upgraded to 3.12. It has the same LED signaling, warmup, takeoff as the Phantom.

Yesterday I received the Naza M V2. It was almost immediately installed in a waiting F550. Maidened last night. When first put in the 550 I hooked it up to the Assistant and upgraded to 3.12. Took it outside, did the compass calibration and fired it up.

The V2 seems to have NO WARMUP PERIOD. No blinking yellows. It just reads whatever mode you're in (GPS vs Atti vs manual) with the double green or double yellow flashes, followed by the characteristic three reds initially. It locks on to satellites much quicker than V1. It lets you know when it's got compass lock (green series, X2). From the time it's initialized to the time it's ready to take off is approximately 15-20 seconds. Sweet.

The imagined black plastic case isn't really black. It's translucent smoky grey. I don't know if this is a design/esthetic thing or if this is supposed to filter certain wavelengths of light, elsewhere purported to make the Naza unhappy.

The extra item, the PMU, is a bit of a bother, but I believe this will be where the new gimbal plugs in, or the DJI OSD. On the one hand it provides expanded functionality, on the other hand it's one more thing to plug in and have other things plug into. HD. It has power leads that need to be soldered in, and a servo connector that goes into X3 on the Naza, as well as a plug that goes into the "exp" port on the Naza where the GPS plug goes in V1. The GPS plug in V2 gets put into the "back" of the PMU, the gimbal will plug into the side. For my 550, it would've worked better if the leads on the PMU were about 4 cm longer. Maybe they're keeping things small/short so it can be stuffed into the Phantom to play with the upcoming gimbal.

Something weird happened. On initial install--Naza motor side facing forward, GPS puck facing forward (just as on the 450 with the Naza V1), the 550 showed some CCW toilet-bowling. According to the manual, I needed to change the GPS direction a little to the right. I did so. Still toilet bowled. I thought "maybe after changing the direction I need to recalibrate?" I recalibrated in the assistant.
Then I took the 550 outside and attempted to do the compass calibration dance. Red flashes--no calibration. I repeated multiple times, moving around the yard. No calibration. Went back inside and recalibrated in the assistant. Everything looks good--all values within suggested ranges. Back outside, do the dance, no calibration. I removed the V2 GPS unit and installed a spare V1 GPS unit I had on hand. I Did the compass dance. It calibrated. I had installed it pointing slightly off midline to the right because of the toilet bowling. Fired up the 550. Flew fine. No toilet bowl. Not sure what the V2 GPS units problem is--maybe just a "bad" unit--others have complained of same. Not sure of incidence or prevalence. Probably no data available outside DJI corp headquarters.

I will say the 550 (V2) isn't initially as rock steady in the air as the 450 (V1), but as they are both new, completely different configurations (flat quad vs X8), it's waaaaaayyyy too early to ascribe any significance to that. I'ts probably going to take a month to really get a handle on whatever differences between the 2 there are. And even with my best observations, it'll be non-statistically significant Hopefully others will post who are flying both and can delineate their experiences.

Something of interest to me, which I'll have to test, is whether the Naza V2 will play nicely with Futaba's "Fasstest" receiver R7008sb, connected though Sbus2. I was told by others in a different forum that if you wire this receiver up conventionally you can get it to work with Naza V1. I haven't tried, as I had a 6208 rx on hand that works fine with Sbus. I tried PMing DJI when they were active online and asked them if they support "FASSTEST". No response. Nice.

Phantom experience as regards Naza versions: As noted above I bought a Phantom in March, and upgraded it to 3.10 then to 3.12. It still goes through the yellow blinking warm-up period. I just bought a second Phantom as a gift. I unboxed it and checked it out before sending it on. It came loaded with 3.10. I upgraded it to 3.12, did an advanced calibration, took it outside, calibrated the compass and fired it up. It behaves like the Naza V2 as noted above. Essentially no warm up period. Connect power and instantly green flashes with 3 reds, then 2, then 1, then locked. Homelock established a few seconds later. Ready to fly. Flew perfectly. This IS a welcome improvement. But the mc inside is the same red and white Naza V1. Apparently an imu upgrade is what is accounting for the change in warmup/startup. I'll switch the separate LED and PMU from V2 to the V1 mc, and the combo led/PMU from V1 to the V2 mc and see what happens. Could well be the stuff inside the V2 mc is exactly the same as the V1 mc. And yet the stats aren't exactly the same.

Changes:
GPS unit: V2 is 1mm thicker, same diameter (46mm), 5.7gm heavier
MC same size, slightly different working voltage range, 2gm heavier

One other thing. The good folks at DJI have apparently been studying the "Apple" playbook. The way the Naza V2 is packaged--compared to the V1--and the design qualities of the components, are both VERY reminiscent of what one would expect and experience when opening the box of an iPhone, MBP, etc. The packaging obviously won't make it work any better, but it's nice to see attention to detail, and makes one hope that the same attention is going into the product.
Thumper1 is offline Find More Posts by Thumper1
Last edited by Thumper1; May 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2013, 12:00 PM
Joined Mar 2013
253 Posts
This is not my field of expertise, but I have read that one should check the GPS/compass unit magnectic declination. Depending on where you are in world you may need turn your GPS/compass unit a few degrees to the left or right of centre to compensate.

I read in the same thread that Naza and WooKong firmware update eliminated the need for this, and that the new manuals do not mention this.

Yet again, I'm no expert on this subject, but good to be aware of these issues, as I plan on building a F450 or F550 soon. Thanks!
simensays is offline Find More Posts by simensays
Old May 25, 2013, 01:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2013
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simensays View Post
This is not my field of expertise, but I have read that one should check the GPS/compass unit magnectic declination. Depending on where you are in world you may need turn your GPS/compass unit a few degrees to the left or right of centre to compensate.

I read in the same thread that Naza and WooKong firmware update eliminated the need for this, and that the new manuals do not mention this.

Yet again, I'm no expert on this subject, but good to be aware of these issues, as I plan on building a F450 or F550 soon. Thanks!
Thank you for the input Simen. You're absolutely right regarding the whole declination thing. Problematically, or blessedly for me I live at 2 degrees declination. Try dialing in 2 degrees between the marvelously precise arrow on the GPS disc and the Naza MC.

And regardless, I have two Phantoms, temporarily, that fly perfectly. I have a new 450 with Naza V1 3.12 , and a 550 with Naza V2 3.12, which react differently to the same setup and geomorphologic circumstance( auto-pilot-wise).

I'm waiting on motors but I'll shortly be putting together a TBS disco. Right now I can't explain the variance, but I hope to be able to do so shortly. Then again, pigs may fly soon.
Old May 26, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Oct 2004
919 Posts
Thanks for the little write up!

G
neavissa is offline Find More Posts by neavissa
Old May 27, 2013, 05:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2013
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa View Post
Thanks for the little write up!

G
You're welcome. Little is the operative word to be sure. Since there are a crapload of pictures out there already, I didn't see any value in taking up space with stuff that's been readily viewable for a while. I'm just interested in the operational differences between the two.
Old May 27, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Oct 2004
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1 View Post
You're welcome. Little is the operative word to be sure. Since there are a crapload of pictures out there already, I didn't see any value in taking up space with stuff that's been readily viewable for a while. I'm just interested in the operational differences between the two.
I agree...
neavissa is offline Find More Posts by neavissa
Old May 31, 2013, 11:59 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2013
113 Posts
So, color me ignorant

Classic noob mistake. I had been observing the online discourse regarding the Naza M V2--the wringing of hands, the drooling, the unbridled lust, the hope that this would be the "holy grail" of those who don't have 15K to spend on a holy crap FC.

And then it was "kind of" out. We saw pictures. There was a certain amount of uninformed debate. But where were the facts? Well, it turns out the facts were 3 doors down.

By the time I'd received my V2 in the mail I knew others had had theirs for more than 10 minutes and I was expecting some kind of info from first hand.

Not seeing any I got a wild hair and decided to start a thread. Not because I felt qualified, but because I figured others would chime in with what they knew. And THIS was the noob mistake. After starting the thread in "multi rotor talk", which I thought was where everyone was talking about it, I discovered threads in "multi rotor electronics" (go figure) that were WAAAAAY ahead of me. Tahoe Ed and Blade Strike, and some others who got things early, or have better insights, or what-have-you, started threads 3 weeks earlier.

So, while I thought I was doing something useful, I'm humbled by the fact that the REAL professionals are going to beat the noob (me) to the punch by a mile, and what I need to do in the future is shut up and LOOK first. The answer will be there. The review will be there. The pictures will be there. Things happen fast here at RCG. I knew that, but........

Thanks Tahoe Ed and Blade Strike, et al. I'll leave it to you folks to inform. I'll read.
Closed Thread