HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:42 PM
Joined Aug 2003
11 Posts
Stalling an electric motor?

I would like to know what happens if a direct drive electric motor is stalled, ie- on the ground full throttle but unable to turn the prop.
I am considering a Controline type model using my motors and batteries but with only a switch to turn the motor on or off. The motor will run until there is not enough power to sustain flight and land with the motor still running. It could flip over and become stalled. It could take me 4 or 5 seconds to get to the switch in any case ( I will be 25 to 45 feet away).
I don't know, it doesn't seem like it would be a short since the windings would still be in the circuit but how high would the current draw go? Damage level in only a few seconds?
No ESC, direct hookup. I'm considering direct drive 280 to 400 and 270 to 500MAH batteries either NiMH or NiCD.
Anybody know what happens if I stall the motor?
SkyRocket is offline Find More Posts by SkyRocket
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:59 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,416 Posts
Since you're going to run the battery down pretty far anyway, you may get away with it. Normally, stalling a motor is a good way to melt wires, burn the brushes, ruin batterys, etc.

If you do it, put a fuse in the circuit. You may blow the fuse but won't destroy the model.
radfordc is offline Find More Posts by radfordc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More N-28
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:03 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I'm moving this to the power systems forum.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 17, 2004, 04:32 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Stalling a motor will burn the windings out in a fairly short time but it's impossible to say how long. The simple way to sort it out for electric C/L is to put a microswitch in the circuit connected to a drooping bit of music wire so that the power is cut when the wire touches ground. A better way is to use a small relay in circuit so that the motor power cuts when the battery voltage gets low anyway.

All of these have been discussed at various times in the (well-hidden so very quiet) Electric Control Line forum here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forum...?s=&forumid=20

You'll need to select "Show threads from the beginning".

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin