SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:28 AM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Quickly learned with my Nano and Polecat that consecutive packs on these little motors is a death wish haha. Still going to order a set of motors to have on backup because with my luck they will go on back order when I new them like the Nano.
Hell, the motors are $9 each!!! You'd be better off just buying a BNF, no??
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:23 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,266 Posts
In agility mode I noticed one prop/motor was stuttering/surging, causing instability. I noticed it was also not tracking with itself, where all the other props had a nice flat profile in flight. To fix it I twisted more angle into the prop, instantly the stutter went away and now she flies like a dream. The stuttering was hardly noticeable in Safe mode, but totally obvious in agility mode.
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:29 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmetalfab View Post
I forgot to weigh it before I started, but the after weight, no batt is 14.27g w/ a glacier 160 19.2g HH has it listed at 0.58 oz (16.5 g) flying weight
So, added 2.7g, most of that is probably wires and hot glue lol
leds are Dialight
598-8220-107F Rd/Or w/ 100ohm resistor Port/left
598-8281-107f Green w/ 50 ohm resistor Stb/right
598-8291-107F Blue w/ 50 ohm resistor Front
And a 3mm Red / Blue Flash Flashing Water Clear LED (ebay) w/ 75 ohm on the rear

Side leds are just glued to the sides of the battery holder, front is semi hidden by the cano, rear is glued on the rear of the frame. Power I tapped off the main board (so using the flight lipo) W/ the glacier 160's I'm getting about 5:30mins to LVC

Very cool, thanks for the info! Are you tapping directly from the battery connection to the board or somewhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixinarow View Post
It does! It's not a true no-altitude-loss flip but it does a 360* flip. Start at about eye level while standing up, punch throttle, full up elevator, lower throttle. Once it completes the flip give it full throttle. Timing of throttle and elevator is the difficult part. It recovers at about 6" off the ground.

I'll get video tonight.
Interesting, so is it throwing the nano in one direction, cutting throttle and basically letting the momentum carry it over? Looking forward to the vid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat View Post
Yeah $34 for a complete set, about half the price of a BNF. Pick up another one and just sell whatever you don't want/need.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:40 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,531 Posts
How about Syma S107 main motors?
6x16mm - ~ 5USD a pair.
http://www.tmart.com/Syma-S107-Main-...B_p140902.html

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
Well if it can flip in stability mode (only after changing limits to 150%) in your house, then it should flip even easier in agility mode, correct?

Some of us with regular controllers (dx4e) can't change the limits (devo 7E programmable is coming).

I was able to get flips fairly tight, but I was still 30 feet up doing it (agility mode high rates). And I wasn't consistent enough yet.

I'd like to learn to flip in house in agility mode then flip it to stability mode for recovery. Now that I soldered back in the button, rather than toggle switch, I'll have to practice (outside first).

Next will be flips while moving fwd/back/sideways, I think with this, that is definitely possible.

Quote:
It does! It's not a true no-altitude-loss flip but it does a 360* flip. Start at about eye level while standing up, punch throttle, full up elevator, lower throttle. Once it completes the flip give it full throttle. Timing of throttle and elevator is the difficult part. It recovers at about 6" off the ground.

I'll get video tonight.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler83 View Post
I didn't think this thing would flip in stability mode?
Good job!
Actually, even my regular flips with a gyros only quad end up losing plenty of altitude (not that fast on the sticks, especially during recovery).

By the way, some other micro quads with accelerometers (equivalent of stability mode) can also be flipped in a similar manner. I remember people getting a Hobby King Qbot-micro to loop by doing something like this.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:01 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat View Post
Early in this thread are about 2 posts on some alternative 6mm motors to try:
1 person mentioned some 6x17mm motors at ~US$3 each used in a DIY quad.
I mentioned some common but powerful 6x12mm motors (4.5 ohms as I recall) that are available from a few sources.
Have not heard of anybody actually testing these on the nQx.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:03 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
How about Syma S107 main motors?
6x16mm - ~ 5USD a pair.
http://www.tmart.com/Syma-S107-Main-...B_p140902.html

-mike-
I thought the S107 main motors were 7mm and the tail motor was 6mm?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
Would have to mod the motor holders if one were to use different length motors.

Also, when measuring impedance on these motors...I found that it changes as you turn the shaft of the motor. Not many people are aware of this, so it's hard to trust the numbers.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:13 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
I thought the S107 main motors were 7mm and the tail motor was 6mm?
The tail motor is 4x17 or 5x15 afaik, but it is loong ago I laid a hand on one.

BTW here 1.95 a pair:
http://www.toptoyexpress.com/syma-s1...r-set-a-b.html

add 4 USD shipping

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:48 PM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
I have been lurking around this thread for awhile. These things really intrigue me. The weather in my area has been blowing like crazy for about a month. My fixed wing planes are on vacation till this wind quits. So I have been looking for an indoor/outdoor flying sports aircraft. Looks like these Quad jobbers may be the ticket for me. Being a total noobe with these quadracopters, I looked on my Real G6.5 sim. to see if there were any to try out. Low and behold I found a little "HeliMax 1SQ" quadracopter to try out. Starting out I was drifting around, totally out of control in a simulated school gym. After a few hours of practice I can now drift around the gym crashing about once every 5 minutes. Well, this inspired me to order one of these Nano QX's. Seems these little guys are a good way to start out. I have one question for you established flying quad jockeys. Dose simmy practice help with flying these guys? I got where I can flip the little HeliMax 1SQ and regain control most of the time. I just hope the Nano QX is as much fun as the simulated HeliMax.
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:00 PM
Meridian, Idaho USA
Joined Feb 2004
303 Posts
Just received mine last night. I have been flying it around my house and yard all day. This thread is now many pages long so forgive me if this has been asked already. Has anyone tried to set it up for night flying? I think it would not have enough power for LED's, I was thinking a few stripes of luminous paint?
mikeflys is offline Find More Posts by mikeflys
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:00 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Also, when measuring impedance on these motors...I found that it changes as you turn the shaft of the motor. Not many people are aware of this, so it's hard to trust the numbers.
There are some articles on this (by Gordon Johnson,as I recall, talking about coreless motors for micro airplanes). My memory is that the numbers change as you turn the shaft because sometimes the brushes will connect multiple coils on the motor, and that the number that you want is either the highest or lowest, I forget which.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:04 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrated View Post
... Dose simmy practice help with flying these guys? I got where I can flip the little HeliMax 1SQ and regain control most of the time. I just hope the Nano QX is as much fun as the simulated HeliMax.
I use a different sim and have different quads, but sim practice does help for me to practice the sequence of the hand motions involved: I lower a bit, but not all the way, the throttle while the quad is upside down during a flip.
However, how fast a quad flips and how much it falls during a flip can vary from a sim to a real quad, so best to start really high on your first flips until you get a sense of how much altitude you tend to lose.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:10 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined May 2012
309 Posts
Sim practice helps mainly with orientation. You should be able to jump to a quadcopter after a little bit of sim time.
rcmaniac098202 is offline Find More Posts by rcmaniac098202