HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2014, 02:15 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
Anyone notice that with the Eflite 150 / 45c batteries that the Nano isn't as stable in a hover? We had to add trim to keep it from drifting off, using the battery it comes with no issue and no trim adjustment.
This is probably because the 45c battery sticks out of the front a bit more than in the back if you push it in like you would a 25c. I suppose your Nano is drifting a bit forward?

-Andres
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:01 PM
Dornbirn / Austria
Joined Mar 2008
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post
Interesting points. I can see where these views are valid.

Perhaps I used "pendulum effect" incorrectly. I was merely referring to the observable phenom of the interaction of mass and force, where the mass will seek the lowest point the suspending forces will allow.

I grossly oversimplified and did my force calculations on static moments but the principles remain. Add momentum and flow and things get very complicated very fast and different for different flying styles. I was only explaining why a slow hover quad was easier when the mass was below the lift.
Just read through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_rocket_fallacy (physical reasoning)
It proves you wrong and once you think about it it's pretty clear:

Quote:
The pendulum belief is a fallacy because it stems from the implicit (and incorrect) assumption that simply because the weights and "hanging" devices are arranged in roughly the same way in both a rocket and a pendulum, they will behave in the same fashion. The forces exerted are, however, different. While gravity does act similarly in both physical systems, the supporting force exerted onto the pendulum by its hanging point is constrained to remaining aligned with the fixed point; this is unlike the force exerted onto the rocket by its engine, whose direction instead depends on the rocket's overall orientation, or attitude.
The system is completely different. I can provide more references if necessary, it has been discussed numerous times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post
Efficiency at the prop is known to be greatly effected by the condition of the air it operates in. The wing is the thing and in this case the wing is the prop.

There is room for argument when you get to vortexes, flow, and other dynamics. But I type so slowly and and have limited time so do not care to argue much,

But I stand by my statements as perhaps over simplified but generally correct.
While this is partially correct for planes, it is completely different for quadcopters... the airstream is not the same. In addition think about the turbulence of the outflow if there is something in it's way or not..
solars is offline Find More Posts by solars
Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:13 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duworm View Post
This is for a DX18, Freechip just showed me why it wont work on a DX9. I will get that fixed. (see, I am still learning this sequencer stuff.)

Sherman Knight
Team Horizon Hobby Sailplane
Yeah he knows his way around all of the radios

Quote:
This is the final form. This works for the DX9, DX10 and the DX18, It does not work with any other radios. To make this work, it required a sequencer. The DX8 and below do not have one. Although I have a DX8 I am not inclined to spend the time to see if it has any possibilities. (the earlier template will not work on a DX9. I had to change sequencers Thanks FreeChip)

This template uses a single three position switch to activate three different Flight Modes and the stability / agility momentary switch at the same time.

This template uses the AERO template. I believer the new upgrades for the DX9 and the DX18 now include a Quad Copter avatar. (I have not upgraded yet)

Servo setup reverse Aux 1 or STB as it is renamed in this setup.

This file uses Switch B.

Pos 0 Super Stable Mode (for my kids)
> Stability Mode ON
> DR Aileron Curve 1 DR - 50/50 Expo 20/20 Switch FM dark first box
> Elevator Curve 0 DR - 60/60 Expo 30/30 Switch FM dark first box

Pos 1 Stable Mode (for me)
> Stability Mode ON
> DR Aileron 70/70 Expo 20/20 Switch FM Dark second box.
> Elevator Expo 80/80 Expo 20/20 Switch FM Dark second box

Pos 2 Agility Mode (maybe for me in the future)
> Agility mode ON
> DR Aileron 90/90 Expo 20/20 Switch FM darken box 3
> DR Elevator 100/100 Expo 0/0 Switch FM darken box 3

This incorporates the Flight Modes and the Stability / Agility modes on the same switch.

Pos 0 Stable
Pos 1 Stable
Pos 2 Agility

You must turn on the Nano with the B switch in the center or 0 position or the stability / Agility modes will not match the switch positions.

To help keep this from happening I have built in, two alarms. Both alarms must be turned off before the radio will come on. They are

> If the throttle stick is above 10%, the stick must be moved below 10% to turn off the alarm.
> If the Flight Mode Switch (Switch B) is in the agility mode position (pos 2), the switch must be moved to pos 1 or pos 0 to turn off the alarm.

Once the alarms have been turned off, the radio will finish its boot cycle and come on.

You might notice that the elevator (pitch) rates are a little higher than the aileron (roll) rates. This is a personal touch. My thumb moves left and right easier than it moves up and down.

Let me know how it goes.

Sherman Knight

I just tried yours out, works pretty good

I tried a time delay similar to yours after my first go around with the sequencer. What a cool program. I am trying to find other fun things to do with it now.

By using your file I realized I wasn't using the flight mode call outs, which I now dont see how I ever lived without I went back on all my other models and added them as the pre-voice to all other call outs attached to a FM switch
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:16 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,270 Posts
Whoops sorry, wrong thread.

-Andres
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Last edited by joker24458; Jan 28, 2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:33 AM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Yeah he knows his way around all of the radios

I just tried yours out, works pretty good

I tried a time delay similar to yours after my first go around with the sequencer. What a cool program. I am trying to find other fun things to do with it now.

By using your file I realized I wasn't using the flight mode call outs, which I now dont see how I ever lived without I went back on all my other models and added them as the pre-voice to all other call outs attached to a FM switch

The front end of setting up the Flight Mode Table or Flight Mode Names takes some extra time, but when well setup, as soon as you start selecting Flight Modes as the switch, the flight mode names show up in each of the corresponding screens.

I also have been experimenting with the throttle curve stuff. I now use separate throttle curves for each mode. I did find that the 0 - 25 - 50 - 76 - 100 points on the screen when mixed with expo, was much better than a linear curve, but it still had some problems. I wound up with the curve points at 0 - 40 - 50 - 60 - 100 and with expo on the flatter point on the throttle curve shortened and at the same time lessened the slope of the curve in the first 35%. The throttle action now is pretty nice.

I have also been experimenting with a higher elevator rate that aileron rate. My thumb does not move in all four points equally well. So I increased the rate in the elevator and reduced the expo at the same time. I will post the SPM file by this weekend.

The time delay you mentioned above is not much of a delay. The sequence from start to finish is only .2 sec. (first screen) It looks like a big delay, but it really is very short.

This stuff is a blast. I am beating the crap out of my Nano getting ready for the 350qx. Setting that up is gonna be fun.

Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend. And if is not, my garage is plenty big.

Sherman Knight
duworm is offline Find More Posts by duworm
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:02 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
The front end of setting up the Flight Mode Table or Flight Mode Names takes some extra time, but when well setup, as soon as you start selecting Flight Modes as the switch, the flight mode names show up in each of the corresponding screens.
Yeah, I love it Check out the first minute of this video with the dx9 call outs, the "special" flight mode names on screen and sequencer use.
DX9 - 350qx & Stagility (5 min 19 sec)

Quote:
I also have been experimenting with the throttle curve stuff. I now use separate throttle curves for each mode. I did find that the 0 - 25 - 50 - 76 - 100 points on the screen when mixed with expo, was much better than a linear curve, but it still had some problems. I wound up with the curve points at 0 - 40 - 50 - 60 - 100 and with expo on the flatter point on the throttle curve shortened and at the same time lessened the slope of the curve in the first 35%. The throttle action now is pretty nice.
Try a curve with a full time idle and see how that fairs. For me I have noticed it is overall more stable in drops and has a better recovery and rotation rate.

Quote:
I have also been experimenting with a higher elevator rate that aileron rate. My thumb does not move in all four points equally well. So I increased the rate in the elevator and reduced the expo at the same time. I will post the SPM file by this weekend.
I have the same issue with my thumbs..thumb flying finger drag!

Quote:
The time delay you mentioned above is not much of a delay. The sequence from start to finish is only .2 sec. (first screen) It looks like a big delay, but it really is very short.

This stuff is a blast. I am beating the crap out of my Nano getting ready for the 350qx. Setting that up is gonna be fun.
Yeah the delay I have was only to stop a double tap, only if i went from fm3 to fm 1 as a fast 1,2,3 flip. works great

Quote:
Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend. And if is not, my garage is plenty big.

Sherman Knight
It might be alright to go fly but nothing special...but I am hopeful Though if you head down to 60 acres let me know and I will bring some toys.

If you dont have a 350 yet you can try mine

Oh, BTW your SPM file i noticed two things.

1) it says stagility on the file but I do not see that mix. Where you able to mix that with the nanoqx? I have been messing with stagility mix but it looks like it is a must to use the sequencer to get it to function correctly. So it will be a dx9 mix or above only.

On a normal mix (with up and down aux1 curve mixes) the throttle does a weird mode switch too, but it works fine under no power.

2) your spm downloads as .PHP like you were talking about. I noticed this happens on any computer I try to download on if I havent edited a .spm file on it before. I think it is the rcgroups server and we need to zip the files for everyone.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 30, 2014, 01:16 PM
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Jul 2013
953 Posts
... damn I like that voice. Is that moddable at all? Can you upload different voice sets?
LMahesa is offline Find More Posts by LMahesa
Old Jan 30, 2014, 02:58 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,703 Posts
Hi Gents,
Request: Could anyone who has a bad nQx CW or CCW motor please post photos of the plastic end with the brushes and with the colors of the wires. It seems odd that EFlite/Blade would choose a different wiring color code for their motors than all of the other coreless motor mini and micro and Nano multicopters. It would be nice to confirm this with some photos of the nQx motor brushes. I could find no nQx coreless motor brush photos posted in RCG.

FYI Hubsan/Walkera wire colors are Blue/Red=CW and Black/White CCW. The proper brush orientation of those are confirmed. Proper brush orientation increases the operating life of the coreless motor.

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:14 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2013
69 Posts
CW- black & white
CCW-red & blue
jermar is offline Find More Posts by jermar
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
508 Posts
hello guys. not sure if its been asked before and if it has sorry but has anyone mounted a #16 808 stripped down key cam on one of these little guys?
stormheli is offline Find More Posts by stormheli
Old Jan 31, 2014, 08:18 AM
proud to be orange!
Australia, NSW, Avoca Beach
Joined Jul 2013
1,816 Posts
Gents,
I have a tray of CL-0615-14 motors sitting next to me. 100
pcs CW and 100 pcs to be exact.
According to Woodsturnings tests, they should be an absolute blast in a Nano QX. I'd like to confirm that, and will exchange a pack of 4 motors for your honest review.

Here are the rules:
- the discount code "nQX-on-steroids" gives you a free (sic!) pack of 4 CL-0615-14 motors
- by using the code, you agree to replace all 4 motors on your stock nQX with the CL-0615, and give it a thorough test runs.
- when done, you post your opinion on the bottom of the product page, and come back here to let us know what you think.

To not ruin myself too quickly, the code is initially valid only once. To spread the chances a little across the timezones, I might come back here once or twice during this weekend to drop a note that the code is active again
benedikt is online now Find More Posts by benedikt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The interactive AlienWii manual
Old Jan 31, 2014, 08:24 AM
S107G MSR MSRX 120SR Nano QX
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
476 Posts
Does that include free delivery to the UK ?
micro2000 is offline Find More Posts by micro2000
Old Jan 31, 2014, 08:25 AM
proud to be orange!
Australia, NSW, Avoca Beach
Joined Jul 2013
1,816 Posts
yep
benedikt is online now Find More Posts by benedikt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The interactive AlienWii manual
Old Jan 31, 2014, 08:31 AM
Joined Mar 2006
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedikt View Post
Gents,
I have a tray of CL-0615-14 motors sitting next to me. 100
pcs CW and 100 pcs to be exact.
According to Woodsturnings tests, they should be an absolute blast in a Nano QX. I'd like to confirm that, and will exchange a pack of 4 motors for your honest review.

Here are the rules:
- the discount code "nQX-on-steroids" gives you a free (sic!) pack of 4 CL-0615-14 motors
- by using the code, you agree to replace all 4 motors on your stock nQX with the CL-0615, and give it a thorough test runs.
- when done, you post your opinion on the bottom of the product page, and come back here to let us know what you think.

To not ruin myself too quickly, the code is initially valid only once. To spread the chances a little across the timezones, I might come back here once or twice during this weekend to drop a note that the code is active again
i'm game. When ordering, it comes up to my enter my PP info. Is the code entered after that or do i need to create an acct to use the code?
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Jan 31, 2014, 08:32 AM
I crash stuff
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 2013
91 Posts
I'd be interested, but it looks like the code was used already.
DeGrizzle is offline Find More Posts by DeGrizzle