HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2004, 06:59 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,139 Posts
VCR brushless

Saw a VCR sitting on someones garbage pile. took this out. the outside of the magnet casing measures 1-7/8"
the shaft is about 6mm and there are two nice bearings.
What should I do? I have never played with these before, and am thinking of powering a Mini telemaster with it, what do you think?
co
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Last edited by Yukonho; Jan 17, 2004 at 02:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:09 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,139 Posts
I managed to pop out the bearings pretty easily, so I am left with the essential motor parts. Does anyone have any advice to offer me as far as magnets and winds?
This thing is pretty big compared to the CD rom motors. I figure I can CNC a delrin hub for it.
Comments, anything??
co
Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:04 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,139 Posts
C'mon guys, there must be some interest in a brushless this size. Should make a good replacement for a speed 400-500 geared, no?
co
Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:44 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Not everyone reads every thread. A lot of people don't bother to look at a thread titled "Look what I found" as they are looking for more specific subjects. Had you titled this "VCR Motor for E-Flight?" or something similar, you would have attracted those who know about building such motors. You would also not have annoyed all of those who have no interest in such things but may have visited the thread because they thought it might contain something of interest to them.

Nothing personal intended here. It's really important for all of us to try to be more specific with our subject lines. It will not only benefit the poster by attracting the right people to the thread, but will also be more courteous to everyone else who can save time by skipping over subjects in which they have no interest.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:39 PM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
I think you may be able to turn it into something useful (no pun intended...you have a lathe or access to 1... ) but at 46mm in dia its a bit bigger than a 400/480 motor.........

How many poles does it have.......IIRC a brushless requires a multiple of 3.......9 would be nice
Chippie is offline Find More Posts by Chippie
Old Jan 17, 2004, 02:01 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chippie
How many poles does it have.......IIRC a brushless requires a multiple of 3.......9 would be nice
I count 12 in the picture above.
Karl B is offline Find More Posts by Karl B
Old Jan 17, 2004, 02:14 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,139 Posts
Thanks for the insight Dave. When I made the discovery, I was rather excited, and assumed that everyone would, of course, be able to read my mind. I will let this thread die and start another more appropriately named.
co
Old Jan 17, 2004, 02:18 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,609 Posts
Don't do that Yukonho - I can edit the title of the thread to something more appropriate.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jan 17, 2004, 02:19 PM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
Yukonho, y not just retitle the thread.......? ask a mod if you cant.

Seems a shame to lose the info....

lol......seems Brian beat me to it........
Old Jan 17, 2004, 04:15 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,139 Posts
Hey, Thanks.
I am going to make a delrin bracket to hold the bearings and everything in place. Just have to get my power supply for my CNC router and I am on it. I am thinking this would be a good strong replacement for a geared speed 400 or maybe a bit bigger. It is larger in diameter, but I was thinking about building a radial engined biplane, so it would be perfect for that. (or maybe a corsair).
I am going to continue reading to determine how I should re-wind it (guage and turns and config), as well as find a source for magnets.
co
Old Jan 17, 2004, 04:25 PM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yukonho
Hey, Thanks.
It is larger in diameter, but I was thinking about building a radial engined biplane, so it would be perfect for that. (or maybe a corsair).
I am going to continue reading to determine how I should re-wind it (guage and turns and config), as well as find a source for magnets.
co

good man......never thought of a radial engine....good idea. Go for it.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 04:37 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,139 Posts
If I remember correctly, there were a few radials that the cylinders turned with the prop. I could put light dummy cylinders on the bell.
I guess I should just get it running first eh?
co
Old Jan 17, 2004, 05:01 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Magnets are very weak in the 3 I have taken apart. Not at all suitable for Eflight as is. Although it was an interesting project. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=vcr

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Last edited by pullin-gs; Jan 17, 2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:34 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,794 Posts
12 pole stator, use the lrk winding pattern, not the cd-rom pattern. How many magnetpoles are there in the magnetring? If the magnets are weak, replace them with Neodymium magnets.

Met vriendelijke groet Ron van Sommeren
diy brushless e-motor homebuilders discussion.
Electric fly-in & lrk meet, June 27th, 2004, Nijmegen, the Netherlands.
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren