HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2013, 10:49 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
Discussion
fs1 v1.0 and windows 8

can my old fs1 v 1.0 work on windows 8?
ive updated to v1.1.....getting error instantly on launch stating fs1 has stopped working.
igotit is offline Find More Posts by igotit
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2013, 01:12 PM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Yes, it runs on Windows 8. Update your graphics card drivers. That should solve it.
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig
Old May 29, 2013, 10:46 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
still doesn't run.i even tried running in compatability mode on vista and xp s3....still nothing.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:08 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Version 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotit View Post
still doesn't run.i even tried running in compatability mode on vista and xp s3....still nothing.
If you're sure you downloaded the latest graphics card drivers from the card maker (e.g. NVIDIA), then I don't know what this could be.

What graphics card do you have? Also, did you get the graphics card driver direct from NVIDIA or AMD Radeon? What computer?

Version 1 is now ~7 yrs old but it apparently is running on many Windows 8 machines. So you should try again.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:36 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
honestly my computer didn't sat what graphics card.it just said intel graphics update.
im really pissed at this computer and w8 setup.probally my fault as I don't know how to operate it.nowhere in my settings I find anything to do with graphics card or an option to switch to 32 bit.w8 is very hard to navigate.....period.im at the point of just giving this computer away,cause a lot of my older devices wont work with this.i have an expensive astrophotography camera for my telescope....I been fighting for 3 mths to get it to work on w8....still nothing.
im beyond frustrated with w8
Old May 29, 2013, 11:53 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
ive even downloaded patches from fs1 that allow older versions to operate on w8...nothing but error on startup
Old May 29, 2013, 11:59 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Intel integrated graphics -- not my favorite for a sim setup. Then add in Windows 8, and ... ugh.

Web search for

"intel graphics driver windows 8"

Go the Intel site. You should then be able to make the selections for your specific computer. Then download the driver to install. I'd try that instead of doing it through some built-in update process.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:00 AM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotit View Post
ive even downloaded patches from fs1 that allow older versions to operate on w8...nothing but error on startup
Right, the problem is not w/ the sim software but instead the computer setup. See my prior post for another idea.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:15 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
just updated the intell graphics.....and java update...still nothing.also switched intel graphics to 32 bit nothing.im going to quit trying for now.rage is taking over and I feel the need to beat on this computer over a simple issue.ive chosen ton just stop trying.
im not buying a new fs1 kit.....id be very mad if it didn't work aswell.bad enough I went through the 3 hour 4 disc setup for fs1 already....and updated and all kinds of stuff....still nothing.ill just learn to fly the old money pit way,fly then crash,repair,fly then crash,repair fly then crash until I learn.

thanx for all your help but I just about givin up.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:30 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
i don't know what else to do
f w8
Old Jun 08, 2013, 06:35 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
I got it working....I simply used my w8 in tablet mode and opened up fs1 in my apps.
thanx for all the help.
Old Jun 08, 2013, 08:42 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
and now its not working again
Old Jun 09, 2013, 05:30 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
lol
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:33 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,472 Posts
In Windows 8 on your desktop lower right App menu corner, select All Apps, scroll right find Control Panel. Here you can access the System menu and even Device Manager still to allow you to see your hardware.

You can check the Event Log for a reason why FS1 is failing. Search bar type 'eventvwr.msc' without the single quotes press Enter, in the left hand scoping pane click Application, in the center screen you should be able to find FS1.

Since Compat mode doesn't work you may still be able to use DEP to enable the software to work. I really only use DEP mode as a last resort as it can be unsafe.

Something else to check is to see if FS1 can run in either full screen or windowed mode. My guess if it's already in one of these try the other it may just be Win8 doesn't like that mode on your hardware.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker