Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:50 PM
Apex, N.C.
Joined Dec 2003
65 Posts
Yet another Corona build in the works

It seems there will be quite a few new Coronas flying around soon

I received my package from Mike Roffee last week, so I'll be diving into the build this week. It's going to be a pretty standard setup:

Mega 16/15/3 + CC 35
8 cell GP3300 batteries

everything else is stock.

It seems that most people are using 2 4 degree grips rather than the 6 + 4 the manual mentions. Would you recommend I do this from the start?

I'll post construction pics as it comes along. I can't wait to get it in the air!

Brian
halljb is offline Find More Posts by halljb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:57 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Jun 2003
3,182 Posts
Welcome Brian.

Yes, especially at the start, use the 4 degree grips. It makes it take a higher RPM to hover, which makes it more stable.

Unless you are flying at several thousand feet altitude, which gives you the higher head speed all by itself.

Enjoy.
Don
derway is offline Find More Posts by derway
Old Jan 17, 2004, 06:10 AM
ProBro
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2003
519 Posts
Brian,
Welcome to THE place to find great Corona info.
I would recommend going with the (2) 4 pitch grips from the start as well. As Don said it will give you higher head speed which will help stabilize the rotor disk. I could not belive the differance when I changed mine out. What was a good flying machine if a bit sluggish, changed to a great flyer!

You've got a good motor/esc and a fine heli, remember to build your crutch square and true and you will have a great flyer too.

Hope this helps

Lynn
SCAT-R-D is offline Find More Posts by SCAT-R-D
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:16 PM
Apex, N.C.
Joined Dec 2003
65 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'll post my progress as there is some

Brian
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:03 PM
Crashing more than flying
Central California
Joined Jul 2003
70 Posts
halljb -

Yes, it appears that several Coronas were sent out last week. I got mine Friday and have been working with it since. Crutch and main rotor finished. Should have it ready to fly by next weekend but I still need batteries - waiting for them in the mail. You and I have the same motor and esc setup. I did receive both the 4 and 6 grips and may use both 4's as suggested by derway.

I'll be interest to know how your first flights go. Please post here. I'll let you know how mines goes. Been practicing with the G2 for several weeks and am pretty good. I will be VERY interesting to see how the Sim and Real worlds co-exist.
Powmaster is offline Find More Posts by Powmaster
Old Jan 20, 2004, 05:17 AM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
congrats.. you will love the corona.. its cool.. that it seems there are more new heli owners after xmas around Jan/Feb then anyother time during the year.. i, too, was new last year and started building mine in Jan

welcome to the club
gmaster is offline Find More Posts by gmaster
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:18 AM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
It's a great machine. I fly it everyday. Use the 4x4 grips, it's a noticeable improvement in stability.
Have fun! Don't forget to stop by and let us know how it goes.
Joe
albireo is offline Find More Posts by albireo
Last edited by albireo; Jan 24, 2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:15 PM
Apex, N.C.
Joined Dec 2003
65 Posts
After some delays, I finally got to work on it tonight. At this point, the crutch is together (really easy build so far).

Once the canopy goes together, I'll start on the rotor. I assume that's the hardest part.

Brian
Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:28 PM
Crashing more than flying
Central California
Joined Jul 2003
70 Posts
Update on my Corona project -

Tail finished
Main Rotor finished
JR Landing Gear installed (tie wraps)
Motor installed

To do -

Install radio
Install gyro
connect motor to esc
Loosen the Main Rotor gear, stiff and not easy to move (it was before I installed it to main shaft). Any hints on what to look for?

Getting close. Unfortunately, I have to drive 9 hours tomorrow but will continue during the evening.
Powmaster is offline Find More Posts by Powmaster
Old Jan 25, 2004, 02:37 AM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
Make sure you don't have the pinion too tight against the bottom gear, it can cause it to bind. Also, if you are not careful it's possible to tighten the motor screws on to the collar below the pinion gear and the motor won't turn. Check all your gears through the drive train and make sure none of them are so tight against each other that it causes one of them to bind. These gears don't (and shouldn't) be tight against eachother. Some people use a piece of paper for gap thickness; I just got used to jamming it tight and backing it off a wee bit...
Should be one of those.
Let us know.
Joe
albireo is offline Find More Posts by albireo
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:40 AM
Saint Louis MO
Joined Nov 2003
44 Posts
I received my corona package from Mike Roffee 3 weeks ago. Finished with all the mechanical work ( finally read the instructions carefully and loosened all the ball links, HUGE difference!). I have one question regarding the length of the right/left cyclic pushrods. In the construction manual, they specify a length for the rods that probably is set up for the 4/6 degree grips. Does anyone have an aprox. length for the 4/4 grip st up?? Thanks to all for the great advice in this forum, I can't wait to get flying.
Martin
Scottish Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Scottish Flyer
Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:23 AM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Hey if you have the Reflex sim (just got it) then they have a great Corona.
jerrysimon is offline Find More Posts by jerrysimon
Old Jan 28, 2004, 04:28 PM
Apex, N.C.
Joined Dec 2003
65 Posts
At this point I have the crutch and canopy done. I was going to put one of the gyro shelves on the upper rear, but I think I may hold off and mount the gyro on the front. I'm using the voyager gear, so there will be room up there.

I know it will be harder to adjust there, but I didn't like the way the canopy has to open wide when the gyro is on the back.

I've also finished the main rotor through the sub-rotor installation. No problems yet, but a tight fit for some of the screws.
Last edited by halljb; Jan 28, 2004 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 05:09 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
i cut the canopy near the back to leave area where the gyro shelf i made was.. was easy to do and worked great
gmaster is offline Find More Posts by gmaster
Old Jan 28, 2004, 06:44 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Hey Brian , Looking good . Your at great point in the build to do the gro mount in the rear now . Here's a pic that might change your mind . With a little tab of velcro to complete off the closure.

Steve .
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando