HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:21 AM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
Question
Rewinding Motors ??

For the guys who have already done this... where do you get the correct wire to rewind ?

I know its epoxy covered or the like and would like to try some of this on my own but would need the wire itself..

Thanks,

Mike
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:41 AM
myk
Lake Sawyer, Washington
Joined Jul 2003
1,100 Posts
http://www.mcmaster.com/

search for "magnet wire" they have a good selection.

Mike
myk is offline Find More Posts by myk
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:42 AM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
It used to be that you could buy "magnet wire" from Radio Shack. I now have to go to a dedicated electronics supply store, since R-S ain't one of those any more. "Magnet wire" used to have a varnish-like coating on it - whether it's an epoxy these days or not I do not know.

Do a search for "magnet wire" on the Web and you'll find people who will sell it to you. Comes in many different diameters.
uscra112 is offline Find More Posts by uscra112
Old Jan 17, 2004, 06:06 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Mike-

Some Radio Shack stores still carry electronic parts, so check around. Look for Catalog #278-1345. It's a package of three different sizes (#22, #26, and #30) of enamel-covered solid-conductor copper wire, known as "magnet wire." I used the #26 for my homemade brushless converted from a CD-ROM motor.

You can also order it from the RS web site:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=278-1345

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
Old Jan 17, 2004, 11:53 PM
JustGoFly
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2003
699 Posts
2$ for 200 feet -
http://www.sciplus.com

Search for Magnet Wire.

here's a chart for gauge conversion:
http://www.batterieswholesale.com/ba...wire_gauge.htm

26 gauge - .40 is what I'm trying next.

Here's my little project:

Vinnie
Vinnie's RC Home page
Vindicator! is offline Find More Posts by Vindicator!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:30 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,924 Posts
At your local motor refurbisher.

Met vriendelijke groet Ron van Sommeren
diy brushless e-motor homebuilders discussion.
Electric fly-in & lrk meet, June 27th, 2004, Nijmegen, the Netherlands.
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Jan 20, 2004, 06:10 PM
Chicagoland Area
Joined Oct 2003
412 Posts
My Radio Shack still has various Arms gauges, these are 3 cobalt 400 Wattage motors 2 burnt one rewound to a 20 turn, bigger wire gauge. It works but nothing to be proud of once a motor burns its never as good. Mike B.
WingMan33 is offline Find More Posts by WingMan33
Last edited by WingMan33; Jan 20, 2004 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 08:12 PM
K4UAV
Miami, FL
Joined Jul 2003
1,749 Posts
mws wire
http://www.mwswire.com/
they even have litz wire to make your motor super efficient
dalbert02 is offline Find More Posts by dalbert02
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:43 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
dalbert02-

Have you ever ordered a small quantity of wire from MWS Wire Industries? If so, how did you accomplish that?

There is no way to order from their web site, no prices are listed, and the Terms and Conditions talks about returning reels in good condition. So it appears they are an industrial supplier and not interested in selling small quantities to hobbyists.

Great selection of wire, though. If they accept small orders, it would be a fine resource.

- Jeff
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:05 AM
JustGoFly
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2003
699 Posts
CD ROM Wiring - Stumped in Rochester

I ran out to Radio Shack and although the kids working there claim they don't have magnetic wire - they did have some. 22, 26 and 30 gauge in one nice little $5 pack. I first tried 22 gauge - 10 turns and destroyed my stator trying to get it flat on top from the bulk of wire which was rubbing against the spinner housing. So I used the stator in the picture from my previous post and wired 26 gauge wire - 27 turns. I connected it with no load and couldn't get it to do anything but stall. I swapped the yellow and black wire and it kicked over after a short stall and started spinning nicely. I put on a 9x6 prop - and it only stalls.

Do I need an ultra small prop ?

Do I need a gear box to make this work ?

I made a short video - since the stalling results in some interesting noises and chattering. I will post it tomorrow.

Myself and a buddy are really getting discouraged. We've tried about six different stators and wiring. We're checking the wiring in failure cases with 20 turns there were a couple posts with 22 but most were 20. I don't know if this would have an effect.

We're wiring A-C, B-A, C-B - delta configuration and getting the wire connectors cleaned with a torch - then some hobby knife scraping to make a clean connection.

Stumped in Rochester.

Vinnie
http://vindicator.rchomepage.com
Vindicator! is offline Find More Posts by Vindicator!
Old Jan 21, 2004, 01:42 AM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Vinnie-

With Delta wiring, that 9x6 prop is probably too big. Compared to Star wiring, Delta will give you more RPM but less torque. In general, Delta is better for small props turning at high RPM or for gearbox applications. Star, with its greater torque, is good for direct drive with larger props. This assumes we are discussing a typical small CD-ROM motor.

The stator and rotor in your photo look very similar to mine. I wound 26 turns of #26 wire and connected it in a Star configuration. With the stock ring magnet and a GWS 9x7 RS prop, it did not run reliably. Installing 12 5x5x1 N45 magnets made it run OK, but it drew more current than I would like. I think it is begging for a smaller prop.

When my order from Air Craft (Nippon Dave) arrives, I'll be testing a variety of smaller props and reporting the results.

If you are unsure of your wiring pattern, check the diagrams at Wolfgang's site. I found them quite helpful.

- Jeff
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:21 AM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
Jeff, the diagrams on that site are for brushless.

The brushed motors I've taken apart are all delta wound with a commutator pad at each point of the triangle. I don't think you CAN wind a normal shaped brushed motor as a wye, (or star).

Wingman - those commutators don't look too good. Figure out a way to spin 'em in a drill press to clean 'em up. (Seems to me I''ve read somewhere that the RC car guys have a little armature lathe gadget they get somewhere.)
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:30 AM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
Try emailing MWS Wire at sales@mwswire.com

Ask if they have a minimum and will they take credit card orders. A lot of companies like that can and will.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:30 AM
K4UAV
Miami, FL
Joined Jul 2003
1,749 Posts
from MWS I've ordered 2,000 feet at a time. But before you say, whoa, that's way too much. It was only about $50 for 26ga. And now I have plenty of wire for all my projects. I am putting together an order for litz wire as soon as I can determine the appropriate wind/ga. If you have anythoughts on litz wire, please private email me, I don't want to derail the thread.
dalbert02 is offline Find More Posts by dalbert02
Old Jan 21, 2004, 09:38 AM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
Hey Galloping Gimp,
Where are the N45 magnets available from?
Thanks.
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob