HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: which mountain models plane should i get??
Dandy Sport 12 18.46%
Dandy GT 4 6.15%
Switchback 30 46.15%
Flashback 2 3.08%
Tantrum 9 13.85%
Miniflash 8 12.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 15, 2004, 07:58 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Question
which mountain models plane should i get??

REQUIREMENTS;
* The plane must be aerobatic but still stable enough to have fun flying.

* i would prefer to start out with the brushed motors (like any plane - i can add a bl later)

* my flying field is not the biggest place in the world - but is a good size with a nice basketball court for landing strip

* I also would like to use most of my current batteries if possible. they include the following;

nimh - 7 cell 720 mAh, 8 cell 720 mAh GWS packs (these currently power the slowstick - i have some batteries for the moth - but i dont think they will work for anything)

lipos - thunderpower 2cell 840 and 2 cell 2100's

MY BACKGROUND;
* currently have a slowstick and tiger moth and am quite comfortable flying both of these (enjoy doing touch-n-goes from the picnic tables at my neighborhood park when i am alone

* slimer convert - so i am also a bit more used to the faster planes (my trainer had an enya bb CX50 and my easy sport .40 had a TTpro .61 - i come from the Carroll Shelby school of motors)

* being an ex-slimer, i have built and rebuilt balsa kits

* IMHO i am a pretty decent pilot - good enough to get out of most trouble and i spend more time flying than repairing - but i dont get to fly as much as i would like (sound familiar ?)

i have almost narrowed the choice down to the switchback and dandy sport -- and i like the idea i could add the GT wing to the dandy for the future. i dont need an all-out-3-d-machine but i want to be able to have some aerobatic fun thats when i see the posts on the tantrum, miniflash and flashback and wonder if they might be better for me.

i appreciate you help for this
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:03 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
i couldnt decide either so i got 4 kits and may order the rest

good luck

adam
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:05 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
You can add the GT to the Switchback as well -- and retracts. For you I think this would be 'the' plane . Dandy more geared toward the beginner. The SB also fits your battery packs better than for the MF, FB, or Tantrum....

As stated above you'll probably end up with the a Tantrum, MF, and FB -- but the SB Sport or SB GT is a good start . It'll be a blast!
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Jan 15, 2004 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:45 PM
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Joined Jul 2001
262 Posts
Tantrum is awesome. If I could only have one plane, Id need my tantrum! It was my first balsa/covering. And Ive enjoyed about 10 flights on her so far. An absolute blast to fly. IMHO

SPEED
Speedbug88 is offline Find More Posts by Speedbug88
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:59 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ozace
i couldnt decide either so i got 4 kits and may order the rest

good luck

adam
thats the problem - like i told Doug - everyone raves about his kits so much - its too hard to decide which to get..

BTW - how stable are the Tantrum and Switchback? i want to fly the plane - not spend all my air time worried about crashing
Last edited by nose_first; Jan 15, 2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:23 PM
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Joined Jul 2001
262 Posts
The Tantrum is as stable as.....well something very stable . Its not a trainer, as it doesnt self-correct in a bank like I would suspect the switchback does, but you can pretty much point it in a direction, and it will go there hands off. It also super stable when doing spins, snaps, etc. In slight wind, it tracks very well and is not 'jumpy' at all. Hope this helps you.

SPEED
Speedbug88 is offline Find More Posts by Speedbug88
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:48 PM
3D Wannabe
Kamloops, B.C. CANADA
Joined Jul 2002
609 Posts
Currently I have a MM Miniflash, am finishing a Tantrum and a SX2, and have a Dandy Sport; along with a Sig Rascal, a Terry, and a Direct 280. Right now the plane I choose to fly for fun and serious practice at low level is my DS. Brushed motor performance is excellent and absolutely ballistic with the Razor power system I have for my Tantrum when I finally get it ready to fly. IMHO you really can't go wrong with the MM Dandy Sport; brushed or brushless!

Kevin
KDB@KAM is offline Find More Posts by KDB@KAM
Last edited by KDB@KAM; Jan 16, 2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:03 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,304 Posts
Boy, it's a hard decision. I have or have had just about everything Doug sells. After really thinking about it I had to vote for the SwitchBack. For an all around fun plane it's simply the best flying plane to me period. It's so confidence inspiring that I was doing wingtip touch and goes in the grass last Sunday. Having the MiniAC in the nose gave me the power to then point it straight up and climb out of sight. It does it all and does it all very well. Once you get one MM kit you're hooked and you'll end up with them all at some point. Save youself the hassle and get 'em all now. Ask Doug for a package deal.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jan 16, 2004, 02:23 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Based on your requirements, the Switchback Sport, with a GT/3D wing kit handy for when you want to aerobat more and relax a little less would be the first choice. The Dandy Sport with a GT wing will also do. With a goodly amount of aileron differential on the Dandy Sport the SB Sport and the Dandy Sport fly almost the same (I have both).

The SB, of course, also has the retract option for either wing....

The MiniFlash is not it - not stable in roll (at least *I* can't relax when flying mine).
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 16, 2004, 02:26 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I think you'd be happiest with the Switchback Sport based on what you want out of the plane. You then have the option of adding the GT wing later on or even retracts if you want to spice it up, but the sport wing for a start will let you relax and just fly, as you say.

edit: Bernard, there you go typing up my replies for me again. I must have been typing when you hit submit

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 16, 2004, 03:36 AM
Unsafe at any speed
Rochester, NY
Joined Jun 2003
442 Posts
The SB Sport was my first plane, and first, say, 6 wrecks Still flying though (without any purchased replacement parts, except the motor of course)! It's a pretty sturdy ship, and still hauls around the sky on a speed 300. Underpowered for the 3D stunts....but then again, any normal plane is! LOTS of fun, I highly recommend it. And, as the "switch" part of the name implies, you can put a symmetrical wing on it and have your GT upgrade right there. And retracts, so you can line up for an approach and let your landing tower know what vector you're coming in on and...

Okay, just because I lost my mind doesn't mean I can't give sound advice! The Switchback is a fantastic plane.
Wiseguy is offline Find More Posts by Wiseguy
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:23 AM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
since the switchback sport is in the lead - which batteries are you flying with this? and would my TP 2s1p 2100 work here?

edit - and also - can the retracts be added later or do they need to be added when i build the wing?

thanks
Last edited by nose_first; Jan 16, 2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:36 AM
Arnold , Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2002
897 Posts
Ah, now you're talking. I fly my Switchback sport with e-tec 1200's and TP 2100's. With the 1200's, it's maybe a little more responsive, But the 2100's, make it a bit more stable, in a little wind.
I enjoy flying both size packs, and the flight difference is just barely noticable. The 2100's fly considerably longer, but I don't know how long. I have never flown long enough to have the 6v L.V.Cutoff kick in. When the plane starts getting "heavy", I land.

I think the 720mah batteries will work OK (I have never used them).But I know the lipo's will work.

I had to add a little weight to the nose of my SB to get it to balance with lipo's. if you move your servos a little forward, you might avoid that. Or retracts

The switchback can fly slow, but it is usually flown a little faster than the Slowstick can. Sounds like a reasonable step up to me.
uglystick is offline Find More Posts by uglystick
Last edited by uglystick; Jan 16, 2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:05 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
how about covering? i have some rolls (or partial rolls) of the towerkote (.2oz/sq ft i think) which is lightweight for slimers but i am sure is heavier for these planes.

am i just being cheap and should send doug an extra $10 for the solite or would this work fine for me (weight difference to me doesnt seem like it would be all that noticiable)
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:22 PM
Arnold , Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2002
897 Posts
I used Oracover lite. It weighs close to towercoat I think. In any case theres not that much surface to cover, so there is not that much weight.
I covered two planes with my last two rolls of oracover lite.

Solite might be an advantage, but I understand it is hard to work with. I was thinking of trying Solite on my almost finished flashback, but I am so used to ultracoat/oracover/oracover lite, (they feel the same when you work with them), that I may never change.
OBTW, The astro 010 14T in a GWS A gearbox & 10x8 prop only draws 4 amps and gives loooong enjoyable flights
uglystick is offline Find More Posts by uglystick