HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2001, 05:55 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Ooops - sizzle sizzle sizzle little cells

Word to the wise.

When flying lots of different models at one and charging vastly different sized packs don't just double check your charger settings - treble check them

Don't do what i did tonight -

take off the nicely charged 8x2000RC pack that had just finished charging at 4.00Amps

Then connect the 7x250mahAAA pack and change the charging current to 0.40amps - then press charge.

Else there is a chance that you'll come back about two minutes later to a red hot sizzling pack - the legend R staring at you from the LCD window and the realisation that it was the DISCHARGE current that you had set to .40A and you had just pumped 4 amps into you baby AAA pack.

After being left in the middle of the pit area on their own they cooled down eventually and indeed gave a good duration flight on the Lite Stick later on. I don't hold ou much hope of their longevity though.

I mean 4 amps! - lesse - thats a 16C charge rate.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2001, 06:00 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
What charger did you do this with?

Quote:
Originally posted by leccyflyer:
Word to the wise.

When flying lots of different models at one and charging vastly different sized packs don't just double check your charger settings - treble check them

Don't do what i did tonight -

take off the nicely charged 8x2000RC pack that had just finished charging at 4.00Amps

Then connect the 7x250mahAAA pack and change the charging current to 0.40amps - then press charge.

Else there is a chance that you'll come back about two minutes later to a red hot sizzling pack - the legend R staring at you from the LCD window and the realisation that it was the DISCHARGE current that you had set to .40A and you had just pumped 4 amps into you baby AAA pack.

After being left in the middle of the pit area on their own they cooled down eventually and indeed gave a good duration flight on the Lite Stick later on. I don't hold ou much hope of their longevity though.

I mean 4 amps! - lesse - thats a 16C charge rate.
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old Jul 27, 2001, 06:16 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Mik

This was with a Robbe Infinity charger - it must have seen the peak (probably just like a virtual Mt Etna as it happens) because the charge had been terminated within a couple of minutes - hence the R in the LCD display. So at least it didn't make the pack into an incendiary device in the back of the car.

cheers

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 27, 2001, 06:51 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
leccy,

A few weeks ago I stuffed 5amps into a 8x500 Zagi pack by mistake. So far there's no sign of damamge/detoriation.

Look at it as low-level zapping!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jul 27, 2001, 07:58 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
yeah, very easy to do.. in a hurry.. set up the charger.. oops, wrong profile.. or forgot to add a decimal point.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic