HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2004, 02:10 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Some more... The radars works fine now and the shaft witch goes through the superstructure will be painted in mattblack for less invisibility.
yngwie is offline Find More Posts by yngwie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:09 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
The build progress this time goes to hull painting. It was a joy to paint that gray dull looking hull into the finish colors and brings life to the tug as well. The weather was very fine and hot, a perfect day to paint. Next is to spray clearcoat where the decals is to be placed to aviod that silver shining on the decals. Then I will put another cleracoat over the decal and finally some satin varnish over the entire hull.
Old Aug 02, 2004, 01:49 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
...and some progress picīs of the motors and rudderservo layout. I have many ideas how to place every item in hull, just have to pic one I quess. The in kit rudders doesenīt look true to scale so I scratchbuild new ones using 4mm polystyrene sheets instead of wooden ones in the kit.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 01:24 AM
Fremont Ca
Joined Aug 2004
6 Posts
Really Nice

Yngwie ,
Your model is really nice. I just bought the Rotterdam and I'm getting ready to put it together. I'm somewhat new at this, 2 Years, do you have any suggestions to begin?

Thanks
Steve
Capt. Krunch is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Krunch
Old Aug 14, 2004, 03:29 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Capt. Krunch, Iīm pleased to hear that you also are into building this very interesting atlantictug. I was also totally new to this sort of hobby too until I bought this tug (building rc-tanks and motorcycles usually). Itīs a good kit basically, but I suggest that you replace detailparts such as cranes, radars, doors and so on with plasticard. If I could reverse my build I would also build up the superstructure with plasticard as well. And seal the hull with glasfibrecloth and epoxy to give it some strength.

And one more important thing, build the frame of hull very carefully and everything in level to avoid fit problems later on.

/Yngwie.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 03:09 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Sorry for bringing up this thread again, but must show that this project still going on thus all time goes by.

The final satincoat is applied and Iīm looking other decal than supplied in the kit course I think they are a little bit oversized. Does anyone know where to get drytransfers or similar?

However, the mast is completed and has working lights and radars. Next to light up is the superstructure and rest of the tug (I had 40 submini bulbs for this tug).

Old Nov 07, 2004, 03:32 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
No need to apologise for posting!

These things take time to construct and we don't all build as quickly as Pat. In fact, I don't know anyone who builds that fast and so well. I certainly don't.

Your tug is coming on beautifully.

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Nov 07, 2004, 04:00 PM
Casey Thrower Born for RC
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
Pat doesn't do his own work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo
No need to apologise for posting!

These things take time to construct and we don't all build as quickly as Pat. In fact, I don't know anyone who builds that fast and so well. I certainly don't.

Your tug is coming on beautifully.

Tony
Pat is really Santa and his elves do the boat building. That is why he doesn't take a lot of time to build one.
C Thrower is offline Find More Posts by C Thrower
Old Nov 07, 2004, 05:35 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
So all I need to do for Christmas is to send a PM to Pat with my order?

I've been good this year (makes a change!) so the mince pies and a glass of what does you good will be waiting for him.

Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:32 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Things going on and this time I have reconstruct the cranes in Evergreen plastic, abstube and brass to achive more details and aviod that grainy wooden surface. First picture shows cranes just before primepaint. Next ones is primed and fully dry a couple of days until itīs time to airbrush them in trainingyellow. And of course, they will be weathered.

/Yngwie.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:33 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
It's a real pleasure to see such beautifully crisp and tidy work.

Thanks for posting your pics..
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:14 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
The cranes is now weatered and I have to make a test fit to make sure everything is ok. I must admit that I had caught a detailing disease and it wouldnīt get better as the build goes by.

/Yngwie.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:58 PM
Panama City, Panama
Joined Nov 2004
88 Posts
Great looking cranes! I like the engine cover in grey more than the previous pics with it brown. Any thought of making the cranes operational?
Knotaddicted is offline Find More Posts by Knotaddicted
Old Nov 22, 2004, 05:21 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Thanx! The enginecover is only primed in grey to easyer find any missing spot or blemishes on surface and will be painted in the same color as the 1/1 tug has.

I had some plans to make the cranes operative and have made them movable in every joint. But I leave them as they is for now until I had found a good salution for the mechanics.

/Yngwie.
Old Feb 07, 2006, 12:33 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Hello! Itīs about time to "crank" this thread up again after a long break. This time with the equipment, radiocontrol, ESCīs, pump, lightbulbs and so forth.

I decided to make a module for the ESCīs, battery, F-monitor pump and radiocontrol. It seemed to me the smartest way to reach the most of the components outside the hull due itīs limited acces thru the deck openings.

Pictures shows how the module is mounted in hull by screws.

I also discover a "hidden" 5th channel in my Futaba 4ch Skysport set, witch contains a 6 channel reciver.

This channel has a full throw only on-off mode and I think itīs for landing gear for the 5 channel radios. I use that "new" channel to activate the F-monitor pump and a servo witch turn the F-monitors side to side by the rudderstick only when the pump is activated.

Picture shows the pump/F-monitor switch and the pump.

F-monitor servo in the superstructure.

A pic of the Compass assembly, ligthly weatered.

Next is to lighting up the mast and the main powerpanel.