HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2004, 01:38 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Some update in build progress. Deck B is glued in place. Next is the super structure B.

/Yngwie.
yngwie is offline Find More Posts by yngwie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2004, 04:34 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
I had some sparetime, after all and finished C deck as well.
Old Feb 04, 2004, 08:56 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Things moving on. Had placed those big planks to the hull. Next is to plan for rc equipment and so forth.
Old Feb 04, 2004, 12:24 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
You realy should have done the drive and RC planning back when you had the bare frame. The superstructure should be the last thing to build.

If you build the hull first you can test modify it easier. Once the deck is glued down you are SOL!

Robbie,
Kent, Wa.
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old Feb 04, 2004, 01:46 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Robbie, your wrong!

Always build and cover the hull and superstructure first, down to installing small access hatches.

How else can you train in keyhole surgery?

Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Feb 04, 2004, 02:21 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Tonyo, Thatīs exactly what I thought when I began building this tug. I can still reach and fit everything in the hull. The decks also strengthen up the frame and makes it easyer to fit and find location for other equipment as anchor winch, crane etc.

/Yngwie.
Last edited by yngwie; Feb 05, 2004 at 08:04 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:44 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
I had been waiting for the Graupner Bowthruster to arrive and done some work with the bridge and mast. I replaced the wood sheet of deck F (Bridgedeck) with plasticard. Btw, the grain structure in wood was solved by several coats of cellulosa laquer and sanding, sanding. I had also fit the anchorchain guides below deck and have made a test run of the anchor funktion. I sure hope the bowthruster wil come next week...

/Yngwie.
Old Mar 08, 2004, 12:18 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
The Graupner Bowthruster is in itīs home.
Old Mar 08, 2004, 12:31 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
The Bowthruster works as a pump and can easily made by your self. I discovered that after the order was placed. Anyway, the assembly itself must be sealed at the bottom of housing (where the 3 screws is mounted). The bottom cap is glued partily with some sort of CA and itīs here I discovered a leak when the bowthruster was tested in a bowl. i glued it all together with Heinkel Araldit witch is used in industri for PA plastic waterlines.

/Yngwie.
Last edited by yngwie; Mar 08, 2004 at 05:19 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2004, 03:11 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Getting on well.

Planking around the bow thruster looks awkward. Is there an easier way other than 'cut and try'?
Old Mar 11, 2004, 07:35 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
The hull has been fully planked now and next is to fill and sand. I had also drilled out the firemonitors so they will work with a pump. Iīm going to seal the hull with glasfibrecloth and epoxy. But I had one question witch thickness I should use, 49g/m2 or 80g/m2 or do I had to get more than that?

/Yngwie.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:48 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
I don't know the 'expert' answer to that, but I would use the thinnest if there's no structural reason to do otherwise. Only because the weave will not stand out as much and so will need mless filling. - I think it's the mean aeromodeller in me!
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:40 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
I had sealed the hull with glassfibre cloth and epoxy and applied the 2nd coat of epoxy resin. This is my first attempt to use epoxy to a wooden hull, and I must say I really liked the metod and will try that to my other scaleboat project witch come along.

Next is to sand and fill any inperfections, sand again and coat the hull with the first coat of grey primer. I like the "gloss" hard finish of the epoxy, but again, this tug is a model of a steeltug not a wooden.

/Yngwie.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:41 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Aft view...
Old Jun 21, 2004, 02:07 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
After a long break from this model (due other projects) I had done some major work with the finish of the hull. After several hours of filling sanding and sprayfilling the hull begin to look more and more like an steel tugboat.