HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2004, 01:08 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Billing Boats Smit Rotterdam.

Hello, Iīm new to this "boat" group and have some questions about the kit from Billing Boats, Smit Rotterdam. Is it a good kit? Is a bowthruster install possible and in that case how? What metod do I use best to threat the woodenhull?

Some questions to work with.

/Yngwie.
yngwie is offline Find More Posts by yngwie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2004, 04:13 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
All the billing boats are good boats. But most are not for beginners.

I have the "MaryAnn" (Nordscuter) that I built in the early 70s. It is an all wood hull. When I built it I used epoxy glue. I spent a lot of time sanding the hull.

But it has been sitting on my bookcase for at least 25 years. A couple years ago I started looking at refurbishing it. I painted it with household enamal. During the time i was running it I had no problems with it leaking. But over the years the enamal has developed a lot of cracks. I am still working at getting these areas sanded down to bare wood. I plan to seal the cracks with Titebond II. Then repaint it using Polyurethane paint this time.

I also have the Nordcap that I started in 1983. It is similar. Planked wooden hull. I plan on finishing it this year also.

Robbie,
Seattle, Wa.
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:30 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Thanx!

I have recently bought this kit and just started to straighten out those warped woodensheets with water and heavy pressure. I tryed on a small woodsheet and it worked out very well. Iīm still have no idea how to put in a bowthruster. It has a planked hull, so Iīm a bit unsure to cut up a hole in the hull.

/Yngwie.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:43 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
I don't havr that problem because the ones I have are old fashioned single screw in the stearn.

But I now have another hole to fill!

And none of mine had warped wood. I built 2 and have the third in process. I had a Jean Marie but I don't remember what happened to it. It was a nice little boat but too small for RC.

Robbie,
Seattle, Wa
Old Jan 16, 2004, 02:31 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
The wood sheets in my Smit Rotterdam kit was extremely warped. I t must have something to do with age and storage, I think.

My Billing Boats Wasa kit doesnīt have the warped syndrome. Funny, because I had this kit sit in my closet for about 15 years now.

Well, Iīve got this kit really cheap, so I shouldenīt complain at all and itīs a easy solved thing anyway.

Is there any else who has build the SM Rotterdam kit allready? Maybe some picīs?

/Yngwie
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:10 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
The build progress... Itīs defenitly a nice kit everything goes together very well. Just to be carefull with all mesurements.

Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:28 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
That's the stage my Nordcap is stuck at.

And your work bench does not have enough clutter!

Robbie,
Kent, Wa.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:10 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
I have some concerns about keeping the planked hull of my fishing boat 'Hamburg' watertight so intend to cover it with glasscloth and epoxy. The inside will also be treated with a brushed coat - possibly two - of epoxy. I don't have any problems with occasional repaints, but leaking through plank joins etc I can do without.

Just about at that stage now.

I've never fitted a bowthruster, but if I was doing it and fitting a commercially made unit the instructions would be the first point to look at. If you have a particular unit in mind, perhaps the manufacturer could be asked? There must have peen previous models of this popular boat which had a bow thruster fitted.

You could also put a separate request in the 'Dock Talk' section?

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Jan 25, 2004, 01:08 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
Tony,

On my Mary Ann I have filled the cracks with wattered down TiteBone II. The paint will protect the glue from the outside. I cant get ot much if the interior anymore so I am not going to worry about. TiteBond II is water resistant. I don't expect it to be in contact with any water long enough for it to be a problem.

And TiteBond sands much eaiser then resin.

My boat was originally painted with household enamal. It was at least 20 years before cracks started appearing. And sanding the old enamal off has taken more effort then I expected.

But it was a pretty little boat. And it is real ugly right now.

Robbie,
Kent, Wa.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 01:50 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
Sounds like a good alternative. Thanks for the suggestion. However I've had a lot of experience with epoxy/glass covering with my aircraft and, if I start tomorrow morning, it will be all glassed and rubbed down by midday on Tuesday. On this occasion, as the planking isn't visible on the finished boat, a glass job isn't a problem. Cracks? What cracks?........

Old Jan 25, 2004, 02:22 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
I just hate glass for a couple of reasons. The first job I got when I got out of the uSAF in 1958 was making fiberglass swimming pool filter. I found out I was alergic to the solvents used in the process.

Then in the mid 60s I built a real racing boat. I had the alergy problem aginn and developed an alergy to the glass sanding dust.

But in the mid 70s I glassed the nose of a 6' Berkly J3 Cub. The nose was the only thing that survived.

Good luck with your glass.

Robbie,
Kent, Wa.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 05:29 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
I don't think I'd be too keen on the stuff with that sort of history!

Tony
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:28 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
Tony,

A little bit like the patches I put on the Mary Ann don't bother me. But a major glassing job will.

When I built the Mary Ann I did use epoxy to attach the planks to the bulkheads. I guess I was smart doing that. Who would know I would still have the boat 30 years later. I don't have any old airplanes. LOL!

Robbie,
Kent, Wa.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:56 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Deck A is in place. I had also placed the motor plates (37) between frame 4 and 5.

/Yngwie.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:59 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
More progress picīs...

/Yngwie.