Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 29, 2001, 05:52 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Has Anyone Ever Built One of These?

I found this while searching for flying wing HLG's. Has anyone built one? Does it look like it would be a competitor with traditional HLG's? http://members.ozemail.com.au/~flyingwing/herks.htm
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2001, 04:11 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
I had a few emails with Herk about this. While he told me that it was a nice sailplane, he also said that no flying wing type would ever match the performance of a conventional tailed model as far as thermal duration sailplanes are concerned. I have built several hlg type wings, one the highly touted co7 handlaunch, and they are not close. On the slope they are fun though.

Mike
MikeC is offline Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Dec 01, 2001, 07:16 PM
Baden Baden, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
1,059 Posts
I have once build a small flying wing which is very similar to the one. It also has -8 twist and a similar airfoil. It workes quite well but for me it is just a slope glider which is not competative compared to my normal competition - HLG's. Compared to some of the simple HLG's (which have a similar wingloading) it depends on the pilot which plane works better . In my oppinion a flying wing is easier to handle in thermals. There is a small sketch and description of my version on my homepage. (switch to english->RC-Models->planes->my gliders->small self made Flying Wing)

Eike
plinse is offline Find More Posts by plinse
Old Dec 01, 2001, 08:27 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
Stunning SAL sailplane, Eike.
MikeC is offline Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Dec 02, 2001, 04:38 AM
Baden Baden, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Stunning SAL sailplane, Eike.
Thanks Mike,

it is a molded wing made of a fiberglass rohacell sandwich. As it is the first one with quadroflaps we have build I would change very few things next time but you have the same setup options as you have with a F3B plane and that is really great. It is worth spending the extra weight for 2 more servos.

Eike
plinse is offline Find More Posts by plinse